PDA

View Full Version : Euro Two Step

Nikos
10-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Ever since players like Ginobili, Jaric, and some euro guards came into the league I noticed the trend of the Euro-travel or Euro Two Steps (which is basically 3 steps in the NBA?).

Does anyone notice they allow it more these days? Im not sure if they did back when Petrovic and Marciulonis came in the league.....did they?

Doesn't Manu still do it often and get away with it? Why do the refs allow it? Or has Manu cut down on that the last year or so?

GoSpurs21
10-30-2004, 02:15 PM
i looks more like a hesitation between the two steps. as long as the foot is not dragged i dont know how it can be called traveling

Ginofan
10-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Manu has such a long stride it's hard to tell if it's traveling. I'm sure he travels sometimes but what gaurds aren't these days. But most of the time I'm pretty sure it's that stride things just playing tricks on our eyes.

Solid D
10-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Agree with you about the long strides. He also changes his tempo with those long strides a la Kobe Bryant.

If there is such a thing as a Euro two step...then there must be, on a much larger scale, the NBA 3 or 4 step. Paul Pierce, Tracy McGrady, Deke Mutombo, Mike Jordan...it's been going on for years. Even the Spurs own Tony Parker has joined that group when changing directions, and pivot feet behind a screen. Dude's on roller skates.

Then there's the Jason Kidd 5 or 6 fast break steps. He's been doing it since he played for the Mavericks. He gets the ball and takes off in a full sprint, 4, 5, or 6 steps between dribbles but he does it so fast, the refs don't notice and let it go. The higher the dribble, the more steps he gets in.

All-in-all, it is all about the entertainment factor.

Nikos
10-30-2004, 10:14 PM
5 or 6 steps? I don't know about that.

But why is it the International refs called those Lebron fastbreaks travels? Are they really any worse than the Euro-Two Step where they are supposedly allowed to take three steps?

Man In Black
10-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Manu takes 2 steps but the 2nd step is way longer than the 1st if he wants it to be. It' s just like a triple jumper. Average players see the basic 2 step stride and can make that adjustment to cover but since Manu has the longer 2nd step, that gives him the seperation he needs to squeeze off a shot or pass.

Solid D
10-30-2004, 11:02 PM
5 or 6 steps? I don't know about that.

But why is it the International refs called those Lebron fastbreaks travels? Are they really any worse than the Euro-Two Step where they are supposedly allowed to take three steps?

Nikos, if you ever get a chance to watch some J-Kidd highlights sometime, or when he heals up, take note. The guy just flat-out sprints full tilt while mixing in a dribble and sometimes you'd swear the ball said Samsonite up on it.

Scottie Pippen used to do it after the last dribble on break-aways while gathering himself for the dunk-o'rama. Count 'em. He watzed in after the last bounce sometimes just pushing the ball ahead and away from the trailing guys to get separation....and 1-2-3, 4-5-jam!!! N' they it is!

Nikos
10-30-2004, 11:17 PM
You know its funny, what made me bring this up although I thought of it earlier was a comment made by Josh Smith of the Hawks. He played for Oak Hill last season and when asked about how Sergio Rodriguez (who lead his Spanish teamattes), he simply said,
He has kind of a smooth game, he did alright. Nobody really knew of him when we went down there. He did a third step there, you know in Spain you get an extra step and we’re used to two steps so he had a little bit of an advantage over us.

That got me thinking. For instance, in the Olympics, did some Euros/International players have the edge or get extra leeway due to that third step? Is what they do or allow in Europe any more advantageous than what is allowed in the NBA?

E20
10-31-2004, 12:07 AM
The way he strides and bounces the ball during the 3rd stride. People see a phantom stride but, the first stride is with a bounce and the next two are regular strides.