PDA

View Full Version : Popovich pops off on contract

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:15 AM
Popovich pops off on contract
Web Posted: 10/30/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA103004.1C.BKNspurs.parker.7686ea8.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Friday he is in disagreement with chairman Peter Holt's apparent refusal to increase the franchise's $64 million contract extension offer to Tony Parker.

Two days after Parker's agent said he was ending negotiations because of the Spurs' hard-line stance, Popovich said he made another unsuccessful attempt to get the team's owners to reconsider their position.

The Spurs have until Sunday to reach agreement with Parker or he will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

"At this particular point we've been told by ownership that they are not going to go beyond the number that's been offered to Tony, and I'm disappointed in that decision," Popovich said before the Spurs' 102-86 victory over New Orleans at the SBC Center in their preseason finale.

"I understand the reasons why and the concerns on the part of ownership, but at the same time over the years we've operated in the (fiscal) arena very successfully. I think Tony Parker has been very fair in understanding the situation and appreciating the situation he's in, while at the same time looking for a contract that shows him the respect that he deserves."

Holt could not be reached for comment.

Though Parker's agent, Marc Fleisher, has continued to seek a minimum of $70 million for the six-year extension, Parker has privately asked for $68 million while telling others he might settle for $66 million if the team compromised.

The Spurs' $64 million offer would be the third-largest contract in the franchise's history, but is substantially less than what some other members of Parker's rookie class recently received. Memphis forward Pau Gasol and Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko each have agreed to deals worth about $86 million, the maximum allowed under the league's collective bargaining agreement. New Jersey gave forward Richard Jefferson $76 million.

Said Popovich: "I have no problem with Tony's desires and wishes to this point."

Though Parker and the team do not appear to be too far apart on the financial terms of the contract, the franchise's ownership group thinks it might be able to get a better deal this summer when the league's bargaining agreement expires. NBA commissioner David Stern has said he wants to reduce the maximum length of guaranteed contracts in the new agreement. The league also is expected to try to reduce the maximum annual raise a player may receive. The players union likely will fight any significant changes depending on what concessions the league makes.

Fleisher said he thinks Parker will be able to command a maximum offer next summer. Though the Spurs would have the right to match any offer sheet Parker signs, Popovich and other management officials have told Holt they think it is probably more cost effective to do a deal now.

"If we don't do this contract, I feel there are probably only two choices next summer, all things being equal," Popovich said. "Either we're going to have to pay him considerably more or we're going to lose him. The chance of the rules changing in such a way that you end up paying him less is not realistic in today's world."

Popovich, who has maintained a lower profile in contract negotiations since R.C. Buford became general manager two years ago, has spoken frequently with Parker over the past few weeks, making sure to keep him updated about any significant changes in the talks.

"There's no arguing that anybody that has watched the kid play has got to believe he's in the top five, six, seven point guards in the league already," Popovich said. "And he's only going to rise in that crowd.

"Anyone who rates him lower is just looking at stats and doesn't really have an eye for who can play and who can't."

In recent seasons, the Spurs have ranked at or near the top of the league in payroll efficiency. After winning the NBA championship two seasons ago, they received a luxury-tax rebate check of about $13 million from the league because of their payroll's modest size. They received another similar rebate this summer.

Holt, however, has said in the past he does not want to have to pay the league's luxury tax, which currently assesses a dollar-for-dollar penalty to teams that greatly exceed the salary cap. The Spurs' payroll will start to escalate significantly in the coming years, particularly if Parker is re-signed.

The Spurs signed Tim Duncan to a seven-year, $122 million contract two summers ago. In July, they gave Manu Ginobili a six-year, $52 million deal.

Popovich wants to make sure Parker remains part of the team's core. He told Holt he thinks the team is making a mistake if it does not improve its current offer.

"I will certainly live with the decision," Popovich said. "Our ownership group has been and remains the best in the league, as far as I'm concerned. But I think it's important to ensure that we can keep this basketball team together."

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:16 AM
I guess people can stop blaming Pop. It seems like he's really going to bat for Tony.

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Time to sell the damn team Holt. Your time here is up. GTFO.

ShoogarBear
10-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Sounds like Good Cop-Bad Cop to me.

Strange part is Pop playing Good Cop.

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Holt's trying to be a hard ass so he can go to the owner's meetings and preach how the league is going under. He can't say those things if he is spending money right and left and is over the luxury tax.

Stop playing the politics, Holt. You already raped Duncan of more than $100M dollars. Just sell a damn Cat and get this over with.

AlamoSpursFan
10-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Unless Red wants back in the NBA, who the hell would Holt sell to, exactly?

whottt
10-30-2004, 01:22 AM
It sounds like Pop knows the score...and you can bet Duncan wants Parker signed as well. What's changed is that Duncan no longer has the leverage of leaving for another team to impose his will on this franchise.

Holt is being stupid to lowball Tony over that small amount and it could end up really hurting this franchise.

Major props to Pop for making the right call.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-30-2004, 01:57 AM
Jesus H. Christ, we are talking about $250,000 a year. That comes out to raising ticket prices at the SBC (assuming all games sold out) a whopping 35 fucking cents. Pay the man.

Emeyin
10-30-2004, 02:37 AM
I agree with Pop, pay the man already!!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-30-2004, 02:41 AM
for real.... He wants us to pay for the new arena, so he can be a cheap ass and not spend extra coin, to keep us a contender for years to come?

if this deal doesnt get done today, i will be very dissapointed, and i wouldnt be suprised to see holt get boo'd

aka_USAPA
10-30-2004, 02:59 AM
Good move by Pop. Major props in standing up for his man. Holt is going to blow this one. I mentioned it earlier in another thread - in the long run, this will cost he Spurs more than $4 million.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-30-2004, 03:08 AM
Its not like the spurs to air there dirty laundry out in public.... i think pop might know what he's doing, maybe he's putting the pressure on Holt, if thats what he's doing, hopefully its not too late

xcoriate
10-30-2004, 04:50 AM
Yeah agreed, major props to Pop.

For him to go to the media is an attempt to pressure Holt into collpasing.

alamo50
10-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Props to Mr. Holt for standing with his believes.
The Spurs got where they are with his standpoints to not go over the cap.
Why would he give Tony the 3rd highest contract in franchise history?
Just because his agent has made it his conquest to get all his players the max?

Spurs are not to be played like the Jazz.
Ask Derek Anderson.

xcoriate
10-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Oh well, that will be great when next summer he earns a max or close to max contract from another team, and holt doesn't match.

If the spurs let TP walk we're screwed, we've no cap room and we don't stand a chance of attracting free agents.

Unless Holt pays up we'll be competitive, but ultimately never make the final again.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 06:10 AM
Definitely a bit of the good/bad cop routine going on. What is most clear is that at least a part of the ownership group is trying to protect their cash cow or perhaps they are mourning its demise. They've enjoyed the fact that over the last couple of years they have received $10+ mil twice due to luxury tax payments. They've enjoyed the fact that they have had Parker on a rookie contract for the last 3 years. This wasn't going to last forever.

This franchise has offered max deals to Webber, Kidd, and Bryant over the last 3 years. Clearly they have the capacity to take on some rather substantial long term contracts if they wish.

At this point I think Holt Cat is simply trying to squeeze every last buck he can out of Parker, which makes sense for his position. But Spurs fans need to get wise to the Spurs' game. Holt is the front man for the Spurs, he gives ownership the image of being just a bunch of good old boys who are getting screwed over by these greedy pampered ungrateful crack rock smoking athletes. Yet the truth is that Holt leads an ownership group comprised of some rather major and sophisticated members and the Spurs have enjoyed relatively few long term major salary commitments over the last 5 years, a sweetheart arena deal which provided a nice punch to their top line, and of course the luxury tax payments. But all good things must end.

Considering that the CBA is going to be on the table next summer one can't look at this situation and think about how the Spurs will use it in that context. Will they use this as an alleged instance of how things have gotten out of control? That they can't afford to keep Parker because they can't commit to another long term deal? It's total BS but it plays well in sleepy San Antonio de Bexar at least.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-30-2004, 07:26 AM
if were only taslking a few million what does this say to parker about his importance tot he team

BronxCowboy
10-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Have to say that this has made me reconsider my criticism of Pop. I always thought that Pop undervalued Parker, but looks like it may be coming from elsewhere in the Spurs organization.
I hope Holt isn't turning into Donald Sterling. And it does piss me off that like Marcus said, the Spurs have been willing to offer max contract to guys like Kidd, Webber, and Bryant, and try to screw over their own guys.

T Park
10-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Who exactly does he sell the team to.

Henry Cisneros?

Were lucky the team is still here.

maxpower
10-30-2004, 09:14 AM
So what does this say about Buford's role in this? Does that mean he is merely a lapdog with no real power as a gm? Is he at odds with Pop? He is not mentioned but once in reference to his position but nothing doing with the supposed job that is his to do.

I am very surprised the Spurs mgmt disregarded their usual stance to not discuss internal affairs. Are these signs of an impending shakeup at the top?

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 09:34 AM
This is pretty extraordinary for Pop. You can bet an asswad of phone calls are being made this weekend.

ducks
10-30-2004, 10:22 AM
did pop go public to help parker feel wanted by pop after what they did to him with kidd.

Parker needs to feel that the coach is 110% behind him, because his confidence was badly shaken last year by the whole Kidd thing.

SequSpur
10-30-2004, 10:32 AM

Ask Derek Anderson.

As always, you're either half stupid or half idiot. I expect that from Holland boys.

Dude, the Spurs got where they are by the man you stalk on a daily basis. David Robinson was always brainwashed to take one for the team. And his soft ass did. Duncan was ranked 25 in salary last year from what I saw. THAT IS FUCKING LUDICROUS.

The Spurs ownership has been gettin over players for a long time coming. They play the cap... big fucking deal.... The Spurs win because of Tim Duncan and/or Robinson previously. THEY DON'T WIN BECAUSE THEY PLAY THE FUCKING CAP.

The Spurs over recent years have turned up dogshit in free agency and/or trades. They have been lucky to get Manu, Parker, Duncan and others through the draft and they have been patient.

Holland boy, management making cap decisions is not scoreboard, you dumb ass. Teams winning championships is scoreboard.

Go away.

SequSpur
10-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Oh, and props to Pop for speaking up. It's about time.

*fingers crossed.

:lol

ducks
10-30-2004, 10:34 AM
if they can offer max to a old kidd, an injured webber, (a player who fails in fourth)
the max why not parker close to the max

spurster
10-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Way to go, Holt! I need that vBookie $4!

SequSpur
10-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I guarantee you that another team either today or tomorrow is going to send that anonymous fax saying to go ahead and wait for the max deal next year.

Then the Spurs management is going to look stupid. Because they are going to have to match it or fly to the backwoods of another country to find a point guard.

BigVee
10-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Pop just validated what many of us were saying yesterday. It is absolutely crazy to let Parker slip away. He wants to play for the Spurs, he is willing to take less, as most Spurs stars have, what the hell are they thinking?

SequSpur
10-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Check this...

In about 4 years, most of the top point guards that now play in the NBA will be past their prime or be out of the league. Parker will be 26 or 27.. I am quite sure that he will be one of the best in the league by that time... Now, if you are to stupid to realize this fact like Peter is. Then please go back to your local ymca and watch pickup games because the NBA is not for you.

SequSpur
10-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Another thing... man this is a good topic...

Pop over the years has been the man that the public looks to as the decision maker for the Spurs. Now he is backing away from that pedestal and saying hey, the owners are the ones jacking it up. He knows damn well that the signs were being made for opening night raggin his ass over the Parker crap. And Jim Gray was going to be purchasing a season ticket right behind the Spurs bench.

Good stuff.

boutons
10-30-2004, 11:34 AM
The deadline is 24:00 tonight, right?

There's still time for the Spurs ownership group NOT to fuck up and NOT to wrongfoot the start of the Spurs' season.

TMSKILZ
10-30-2004, 12:28 PM
We're screwed. Tony going to feel slighted & walk next summer. I can't knock Holt as a business man if he doesn't want to pay a lux tax that unlike the Steinbreners & Cubans of the world who can, he's has to be tight in the wallet & make financial decisions that most will not like or agree with.

In this situation though, I strongly feel Holt needs to pay parker & that parker needs to come down from his intial asking price & both need to agree on a middle ground. $66Mil sounds reasonable compared to the over priced F.A.'s of this past off season.

Parker is very talented, young & has lots of room to grow & improve, is potential his very high compared to majority of PG's in the league. Spurs need to step up.

ducks
10-30-2004, 12:38 PM
The deadline is 24:00 tonight, right?

There's still time for the Spurs ownership group NOT to fuck up and NOT to wrongfoot the start of the Spurs' season.

is it not the 31

boutons
10-30-2004, 01:17 PM
uh, right, tomorrow is 31st.

Let's hope the Spurs' ownership group has a Treat for us tomorrow, rather than this sickening, disheartening, self-defeating Trick.

SpursFanInAustin
10-30-2004, 01:18 PM
is it not the 31

We know ducks. He meant midnight tonight, meaning when the clock strikes 12 tonight, it will be Oct 31st. Then again, tonight is daylight savings, and the clock will be pushed back an hour. Does daylight savings start at 12? or is it at 2 am? I don't know, I get confused with all that stuff.

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:26 PM
It says the last day to sign them is Oct 31. So I think that means they have through the whole day of the 31st to get it done.

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I believe the Spurs have until the end of tomorrow. If Holt doesn't break his piggy bank for $2M, that will be one of the biggest mistakes in franchise history.

Even Pop is willing to call him out via the media.

whottt
10-30-2004, 01:32 PM
TimVP, you AJ fans need to do what you did when the Spurs gave Aj's jersey to Manu and when the Spurs tried to lowball Drob...

Call in and bitch!

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 01:38 PM
When a deadline falls on a weekend, the NBA often allows things to happen by the close of business the following work day. I imagine if they say they've agreed in principal and are just preparing paperwork, they'd let it go.

TwoHandJam
10-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow. I gotta hand it to Pop, I had no idea he was so at odds with management over the Parker situation. In fact, I thought it was Pop himself who had a hand in telling management where to draw the line with Tony. I really hope they can find some middle ground and get this deal done.

jcrod
10-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Popovich pops off on contract
Web Posted: 10/30/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA103004.1C.BKNspurs.parker.7686ea8.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Friday he is in disagreement with chairman Peter Holt's apparent refusal to increase the franchise's $64 million contract extension offer to Tony Parker.

"I understand the reasons why and the concerns on the part of ownership, but at the same time over the years we've operated in the (fiscal) arena very successfully. I think Tony Parker has been very fair in understanding the situation and appreciating the situation he's in, while at the same time looking for a contract that shows him the respect that he deserves."

The Spurs' $64 million offer would be the third-largest contract in the franchise's history, but is substantially less than what some other members of Parker's rookie class recently received. Memphis forward Pau Gasol and Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko each have agreed to deals worth about $86 million, the maximum allowed under the league's collective bargaining agreement. New Jersey gave forward Richard Jefferson $76 million.

Said Popovich: "I have no problem with Tony's desires and wishes to this point."
Fleisher said he thinks Parker will be able to command a maximum offer next summer. Though the Spurs would have the right to match any offer sheet Parker signs, Popovich and other management officials have told Holt they think it is probably more cost effective to do a deal now.

"If we don't do this contract, I feel there are probably only two choices next summer, all things being equal," Popovich said. "Either we're going to have to pay him considerably more or we're going to lose him. The chance of the rules changing in such a way that you end up paying him less is not realistic in today's world."

"There's no arguing that anybody that has watched the kid play has got to believe he's in the top five, six, seven point guards in the league already," Popovich said. "And he's only going to rise in that crowd.

"Anyone who rates him lower is just looking at stats and doesn't really have an eye for who can play and who can't."

Popovich wants to make sure Parker remains part of the team's core. He told Holt he thinks the team is making a mistake if it does not improve its current offer. "

I've highlighted points TimVP, me, bigvee and other TP supporters have been saying.

PAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Wow. I gotta hand it to Pop, I had no idea he was so at odds with management over the Parker situation. In fact, I thought it was Pop himself who had a hand in telling management where to draw the line with Tony. I really hope they can find some middle ground and get this deal done.

Sounds like your tune has changed.

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:51 PM
I've highlighted points TimVP, me, bigvee and other TP supporters have been saying.

PAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Popovich came out on our side.

The right side.

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Either he's on your side, or he's just being CIA. Because when this all shakes out, he doesn't want to look the bad guy.

TwoHandJam
10-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Sounds like your tune has changed.
Not in the least. I've always said I wanted Parker to stay, I just don't want to overpay for him. I still think $64M is a very fair deal and that Tony should take it. Of course I wouldn't feel outraged if he signed for $66M but hey, it's not my money. Fleisher was looking for $70M btw.

I just thought Pop had a hand in this figure and I'm surprised he doesn't seem to. Of course, he could just be covering his ass like Kori says but I'd be surprised...

GoSpurs21
10-30-2004, 02:22 PM

Ask Derek Anderson.

too bad none of this argument is based in reality since Tony has already saved the Spurs over $4M by signing a 4 year rookie contract for 3.9M over 4 years and has been underpaid for years

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 02:27 PM
too bad none of this argument is based in reality since Tony has already saved the Spurs over $4M by signing a 4 year rookie contract for 3.9M over 4 years and has been underpaid for yearsHe had no choice.

whottt
10-30-2004, 02:44 PM
He had no choice.

Ahh...so one good screw job deserves another...

Gotta be a lawyer.

boutons
10-30-2004, 02:45 PM
"Tony has already saved the Spurs over $4M"

As I mentioned elsewhere, Tony's 4-year rookie contract was a good deal for both parties. If 18-year -old Tony was a bust, the Spurs were stuck for 4-years. Tony broke into the NBA with a perennial contender, playoffs every year, got a ring, and played with HOFers David and Tim.

win-win, ie, Spurs and Tony owe each nothing at this point.

I think the Spurs have more to lose, (Tim's prime-time clock is ticking), by losing Tony and wasting 2005/06 season bringing another PG of equal skills into the Spurs system (if they can find one).

Tim, Tony, Manu, Rasho, Devin, that's a young squad that can go on for 4 or 5 more years.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Ahh...so one good screw job deserves another...

Gotta be a lawyer.Leave it to you to jump to a dipshit conclusion, buttpipe.

If you had any reading comprehension, you'd know I want Tony to be signed. This is a bargain.

whottt
10-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Leave it to you to jump to a dipshit conclusion, buttpipe.

If you had any reading comprehension, you'd know I want Tony to be signed. This is a bargain.

Then what was your point? Enlighten me.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 03:11 PM
The point is there is next to no negotiations for rookie contracts -- no favors were done for anyone back then except maybe guaranteeing Parker three years when he could've easily fallen to the second round. Nothing that can affect current negotiations either way.

smeagol
10-30-2004, 04:03 PM
I agree with everything Sequ has written in this thread. (* sigh *)

God, I do need to see a doctor!

whottt
10-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Parker was a bargain...your comment in response to someone making that point seemed to be intended to refute the fact that Parker was a bargain.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I know you like to have your hand held and every little thing explained to you, but I have yet to see any contract inked to "make up" for a bargain rookie deal. Had the Spurs not picked him, he wouldn't have even gotten that -- so what is the point, indeed?

alamo50
10-30-2004, 04:33 PM
As always, you're either half stupid or half idiot.

But you are just a half.

David Robinson was always brainwashed to take one for the team. And his soft ass did.

You don't know about the clauses in David's contracts stating he had to be in the top 5 salary in the NBA each and every single year in the start of his career?

Now go find somebody to sell your tickets to Siqu.

whottt
10-30-2004, 05:06 PM
I know you like to have your hand held and every little thing explained to you, but I have yet to see any contract inked to "make up" for a bargain rookie deal.

Doesn't change the fact he was a bargain, nor am I sure I totally agree with you on that point.

Had the Spurs not picked him, he wouldn't have even gotten that -- so what is the point, indeed?

Please don't embarrass and discredit yourself further. Salary Cap info is one of the few things on which you are a fairly credible opinion.

Parker was the last pick of the 1st round. He'd more than likely have made more money by now if he had been drafted later. The Spurs didn't do him any financial favors by drafting him last pick of the first round. I do not even have a primitive knowledge of the cap, yet even I know this simple truth.

2pac
10-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Unless Red wants back in the NBA, who the hell would Holt sell to, exactly?

There are at least three people in San Antonio worth over 800 Million.

Red McCombs
Lowery Mays
Jim Leininger

I believe Leininger already owns part of the team. Lowery needs to step up.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 05:14 PM
The only reason that Parker's rookie deal is relevant to this discussion is that it indeed highlights the fact that the Spurs have been rather fortunate that his cost was so little over the last 3 seasons, as well as the upcoming one. Of course, one does not expect the Spurs to 'make up' for that to Parker in his next contract. But it does show that the Spurs have had some pretty nice breaks when it comes to paying for the talent on their team, especially the top 3 players. It puts Holt's bellyaching in its proper perspective.

Das Texan
10-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Pay him the fucking money.

We are dealing with what 2-4 million.

That's fucking nothing in today's world of professional sports for the length of a contract...especially for arguably the #2 man for your franchise.

God damn.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Before I forget, I will say that if Holt Cat is capable of doing this to the second best player on his team (and a guy who wants to stay in SA), well, he's capable of doing it to anyone. Sooner or later some of you will grasp that. If the Spurs don't reach an agreement with Parker I wouldn't be surprised if between now and next summer Parker's image will change from being the enthusiastic young kid with the quick smile into an arrogant little spoiling ungrateful beret wearing American-hating Frenchman.

-MB

boutons
10-30-2004, 05:48 PM
"Frenchman" ?

Tony Parker's father is American, so Tony Parker is a U.S. citizen by birth, as 100% American as any xenophobic jingo hick in the USA.

Imprecise to project your own sinister hate and venom into Tony, but it's clearly a precise self-depiction.

(btw, our allies and friends in France and Germany were right that the US should not have started the Iraq war. Just as for VN, a increasing majority of US public is turning slowly and surely against the Iraq war and the manslaughterering criminals who started it. Pity the poor US military suckers and Iraqis dying for absolutely nothing but a pack of shrub lies.)

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Parker was the last pick of the 1st round. He'd more than likely have made more money by now if he had been drafted later.More than likely < > fact.

Again, who cares? It's a completely moot point. the rookie contract has no bearing on the current negotiations. If this was Cassell or Nash, there would be an argument, but since all the 1st round picks are governed by the same rules, every 1st rounder worth a crap is underpaid and none of them ever have "makeup" money paid them.

Just pay him what he wants and he'll continue to be a bargain.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
"Frenchman" ?

Tony Parker's father is American, so Tony Parker is a U.S. citizen by birth, as 100% American as any xenophobic jingo hick in the USA.

First off, go back and read what I wrote dumbass. It's bad enough that I have to wade through your drivel to get to some quality writing in this forum, but if you are going to criticize my viewpoint at least try to be accurate.

Secondly, Parker grew up in Paris and plays on the French men's national team. Hence, Frenchman. Pretty fucking clear.

Third, I did not say there was anything wrong with him being a Frenchman.

Fourth, get a fucking education you little cracksmoker.

Imprecise to project your own sinister hate and venom into Tony, but it's clearly a precise self-depiction.

Now you are off the deep end.

(btw, our allies and friends in France and Germany were right that the US should not have started the Iraq war. Just as for VN, a increasing majority of US public is turning slowly and surely against the Iraq war and the manslaughterering criminals who started it. Pity the poor US military suckers and Iraqis dying for absolutely nothing but a pack of shrub lies.)

That's nice. What does it have to do with the Spurs?

ducks
10-30-2004, 08:07 PM
if they start saying that parker image changes all of a sudden I will go nuts

parker went thru hell with kidd
he deservers the contract

smeagol
10-30-2004, 09:03 PM

What happened with the "Off Topic" emoticon? Man, ain' this an appropriate time to use it.

LandShark
10-30-2004, 10:17 PM
(btw, our allies and friends in France and Germany were right that the US should not have started the Iraq war. Just as for VN, a increasing majority of US public is turning slowly and surely against the Iraq war and the manslaughterering criminals who started it. Pity the poor US military suckers and Iraqis dying for absolutely nothing but a pack of shrub lies.)What happened with the "Off Topic" emoticon? Man, ain' this an appropriate time to use it.
Here you go. http://www.warpreality.com/forum/smile/icon_smile_offtopic.gif

Guru of Nothing
10-30-2004, 10:21 PM
All I want to say is, PAY PARKER. This is the most ludicrous contract negotiation I have ever paid attention to, save maybe Emmit Smith circa 1993.

I cannot comprehend refusing to pay Parker 68M.

Guru of Nothing
10-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Just want to add, I like Tim Duncan and appreciate his quiet-warrior mentality, but (unless there's more than meets the eye) Tim needs to go public too and insist Holt signs Parker.

must ... suppress ... hate ...

pooh
10-30-2004, 11:09 PM
He can insist all he wants, but Holt isn't going to pay Tony $66 million, let along $68 million bucks. They're just going to have to wait it out now until the end of the season and see how much the Spurs can offer him. If he plays well this season, he'll get his money, or something close to what he's asking for (agent).

The Spurs can match any offer, unless someone offers him a boatload of money, the basically you're screwed. Hopefully you can groom Beno into a suitable replacement if it comes down to that. But I'm pretty sure Tony will remain a Spur.

ducks
10-30-2004, 11:23 PM
some team will offer tp the max

if nets get rid of kidd they will max tp

Ginobilly
10-31-2004, 01:29 AM
First off, go back and read what I wrote dumbass. It's bad enough that I have to wade through your drivel to get to some quality writing in this forum, but if you are going to criticize my viewpoint at least try to be accurate.

Secondly, Parker grew up in Paris and plays on the French men's national team. Hence, Frenchman. Pretty fucking clear.

Third, I did not say there was anything wrong with him being a Frenchman.

Fourth, get a fucking education you little cracksmoker.

Now you are off the deep end.

That's nice. What does it have to do with the Spurs?

Tony is not "ethnic" French, but is still "French" because he has French citizenship and grew up there. Mother is a Blonde Dutch lady(former model) and his father is African American, and he was born in Belgium which is a totally different country.

Myself, I was born in Monterrey, Mexico(19 years ago) of an Irish born mother and a high class Mexican father of Basque/Italian ancestry. Even though I have been here in SA since I was 8 and have grown up here and have recently gotten my nat citizenship, I'm an American citizen and I consider myself mexican american, but I don't think any of you'll consider me "American"? I don't consider myself to be Spanish basque/Italian or Irish(like alot of high class Mexicans that gloat about their euroness and think their better than rest just because their white :rolleyes ), I'm 100% Mexican American Vato Loco 4 life :smokin because that's what I know and grew up around with. I grew up in the North Side where there is not a lot of Mex/Americans, but grew in the San Antonio where the Majority of the people are Mex American. :hat

Holt, don't be a tight ass!!!! Please sign Tony! Maybe all 1 million+ citizens of SA should pitch in 4 smakers a piece and raise about 4/5 million $ to pay the difference in Tony 64 million contract? That will send that tight ass bud holt a messege! I'll pitch in $500.

timvp
10-31-2004, 01:31 AM
Make yourself at home, Ginobilly.

Ginobilly
10-31-2004, 02:02 AM
Make yourself at home, Ginobilly.

Thanks man, I will.

Marcus Bryant
10-31-2004, 06:04 AM
Tony is not "ethnic" French, but is still "French" because he has French citizenship and grew up there. Mother is a Blonde Dutch lady(former model) and his father is African American, and he was born in Belgium which is a totally different country.

Sure. He's not ethnic French but he grew up in France. His nationality is French.

Myself, I was born in Monterrey, Mexico(19 years ago) of an Irish born mother and a high class Mexican father of Basque/Italian ancestry. Even though I have been here in SA since I was 8 and have grown up here and have recently gotten my nat citizenship, I'm an American citizen and I consider myself mexican american, but I don't think any of you'll consider me "American"?

Yes, you are an American.

boutons
10-31-2004, 06:32 AM
"His nationality is French."

typical half-truth. Tony Parker is American citizen from birth, and also has French citizenship.

xcoriate
10-31-2004, 06:59 AM
He's french, his loyalty lies to france

Marcus Bryant
10-31-2004, 07:07 AM
typical half-truth. Tony Parker is American citizen from birth, and also has French citizenship.

Which is why he plays on the French national team. Apparently he considers himself a "Frenchman."

If I am advocating a "half truth" what exactly are you proferring?

Damn you are a fucking dunce.

ducks
10-31-2004, 09:42 AM
time for you local fans to make phone calls
people complained and holt gave in with number 6
people complained and holt gave in with robinson