PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Barry finally snaps his 3-point slump

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Barry finally snaps his 3-point slump
Web Posted: 10/30/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA103004.7C.BKNspurs.barry.7686f9c.html

Aside from injuries, nothing truly matters in the NBA's preseason. But it was something of a relief to both Brent Barry and the Spurs' coaching staff when Barry made 4 of 5 3-point shots in the Spurs' 102-86 preseason finale victory over the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night at the SBC Center.

Barry was signed as a free agent in the offseason to be the long-range shooter the Spurs lacked in last season's playoffs, but the veteran went into Friday's game having made only 6 of 24 from 3-point range in the first six preseason games.

"It had been awhile," Barry said of his 3-point breakout. "It must have been that lunar eclipse (Wednesday) night."

Barry made 5 of 6 shots for the game and scored 14.

"He's more comfortable now," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Barry, who clearly had been pressing in earlier games. "He's had enough games at SBC Center to get a feel for the depth perception. He feels comfortable. He understands the system and he's not thinking so much. He's just playing basketball."

Fewer 'foul' shots: The truly significant statistic of the preseason was this: 164 for 218 (75.2 percent) from the free-throw line. The Spurs, dead last in the league in free-throw shooting last season at 68.1 percent, appear to have gotten over one of their biggest problems.

"I feel confident we will not be No. 30 in free-throw shooting this season," Popovich said.

Tim Duncan, who went to the line more than any Spur last season, made 25 of 33 preseason free throws (75.1 percent). Duncan made only 59.9 percent of his foul shots last season.

His preseason free-throw accuracy followed an Olympic Games during which he also made 75 percent.

"Yeah, I feel really good on the line right now," Duncan said. "I have a nice rhythm there. I'm not dreading going to the line. I feel good about it."

Udrih plays: Rookie point guard Beno Udrih, who sat out the previous two preseason games, logged 15 minutes Friday that he called very important for his confidence going into the season.

"It was very important to my feeling for the game and to be on the floor with my teammates," Udrih said.

ShoogarBear
10-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Udrih plays: Rookie point guard Beno Udrih, who sat out the previous two preseason games, logged 15 minutes Friday that he called very important for his confidence going into the season.

"It was very important to my feeling for the game and to be on the floor with my teammates," Udrih said.

Then his slammed his locker door on his hand. Udrih is expected to be out for 3-4 weeks.

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:24 AM
:lmao

polandprzem
10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Then his slammed his locker door on his hand. Udrih is expected to be out for 3-4 weeks.

I don't if it's funny timvp.

We must call sergio right now

xcoriate
10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
rofl

SpursWoman
10-30-2004, 09:14 AM
"It had been awhile," Barry said of his 3-point breakout. "It must have been that lunar eclipse (Wednesday) night."

Looks like that lunar eclipse made a lot of shit happen. :drunk

My favorite: Barry giving the little pre-game, fan appreciation speech....the row-row-row your boat fugue would have been really damn cool, btw.

:lol :lol

:lmao :lol :lol :rollin

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:39 PM
TD's shooting 75% from the line. One of my bold predictions is coming true.

ducks
10-30-2004, 01:03 PM
barry is back ad now finally comfortable

this guy will make people forget jack

boutons
10-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Jack had a typically forgettable stats line last night in 32 minutes, sub-30% from the floor, 1.5 AST/TO, @IND.

There weren't any clutch moments for Jack to 'step up" to as IND got blown out. But it's only pre-season and maybe Jack isn't comfortable there, yet.