PDA

View Full Version : Which Player WILL Be a Spur Next Year?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Javtokas
Mahinmi
Scola
Sanikidze
Karaulov
A FA in the NBA; People Spurs should be interested in:
Boykins
Varejao
Ridnour
Nocioni
Mason
Mo. Williams
Pietrus
Sweetney
Howard
Mo-Pete

Sorry if this is thinking too much ahead.

ATX Spur
10-16-2006, 09:52 PM
No need to be sorry for thinking ahead. I think it just goes to show how unsatiated most Spurs fans were with the offseason that we're already thinking about the next one.

boutons_
10-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Ridnour will want to start, just like Speedy, so he won't come backup Tony.

LakerHater
10-16-2006, 10:28 PM
No need to be sorry for thinking ahead. I think it just goes to show how unsatiated most Spurs fans were with the offseason that we're already thinking about the next one. :clap

Big P
10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
I'll go with Mahinmi.

SuperManu!!!
10-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I'll go with Scola

Kori Ellis
10-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Nobody on that list.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Anthony Mason and Juwan Howard would be my guesses.

NorCal510
10-16-2006, 11:16 PM
whatever kori says is what i think, nobody

Spurs16212
10-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Right now I would have to say no one.... The Spurs should focus on this season now and worry about the off season when it comes. They are going to have to evaluate each player as far as strengths and weaknesses and make the best sound decision for the organization.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Currently Karaulov has the best chance, and that's less than nil.

Spurfans are spoiled rotten.

Kori Ellis
10-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I think the Spurs will have about $58M in committed salary (if everyone's options are picked up). So they probably won't do much again next summer.

However, if they are not picking up Beno's option (which they have until Oct 31 to do), then backup point guard will obviously be a priority. Vaughn's contract is only one year.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Without reading the thread, I'm going to venture a guess and say Tim, Tony and Manu.

iceman44
10-17-2006, 12:03 AM
None of the above.

Mr. Body
10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
If the Spurs do nothing next year, they'll truly be up shit creek. Horry and Finley will be about done, with Horry likely zeroed out. Bowen might have one or two years left. Elson and Oberto will basically be done, with only Butler and Parker showing any upside for the future.

Udrih's option should be picked up, I'd think. Likely there's a team willing to take a talented young point guard, if we trade him.

That said, I don't see any of those players as Spurs. Maybe Javtokas. Mahinmi and Sanikidze aren't ready. Scola won't ever be in San Antonio.

Pietrus and Nocioni fit needs, but their price tags are likely too high. (To take Pietrus, it'd be necessary to take Foyle, etc.) The only bright spot is our three draft picks in the 2007 draft. But those are two 2nd rounders and one late 1st.

This team is aging rapidly. If we stand pat, we're basically screwed, but there is precious little room to maneuver.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2006, 12:19 AM
If the Spurs do nothing next year, they'll truly be up shit creek. Horry and Finley will be about done, with Horry likely zeroed out. Bowen might have one or two years left. Elson and Oberto will basically be done, with only Butler and Parker showing any upside for the future.

Udrih's option should be picked up, I'd think. Likely there's a team willing to take a talented young point guard, if we trade him.

That said, I don't see any of those players as Spurs. Maybe Javtokas. Mahinmi and Sanikidze aren't ready. Scola won't ever be in San Antonio.

Pietrus and Nocioni fit needs, but their price tags are likely too high. (To take Pietrus, it'd be necessary to take Foyle, etc.) The only bright spot is our three draft picks in the 2007 draft. But those are two 2nd rounders and one late 1st.

This team is aging rapidly. If we stand pat, we're basically screwed, but there is precious little room to maneuver.

I know they should do something. I'm just saying they probably won't do much because they'll still have 11 players under contract for $58M, if everyone's options are picked up.

However, if Horry retires and they don't bring back Beno, then they have some room to move.

Backup PG and Backup (future starting?) small forward really need to be addressed.

I believe this is the contract situation for the Spurs.

2007-08
Tim
Manu
Tony
Brent
Butler
Elson
Horry
Finley (player option)
Oberto (player option)
Beno (team option)
Bowen (team option) :wow

2008-09
Tim
Manu
Tony
Butler (option?)

Mr. Body
10-17-2006, 12:42 AM
I think we're agreeing with each other, Kori. I'm seeing a dire situation without a lot of wiggle room. Of course, it's not so dire that they won't be contenders, but the drop-off will be severe if we don't add some youthful talent, and there's not a lot of ways to do that.

iceman44
10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
I think Horry will retire after this season. As for Beno I don't think he will finish the season here.

This team is in deed getting old fast.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2006, 02:42 AM
It's only a dire sitiuation from a spoiled fan POV. I've seen enough roster turnovers to be ok with shuffling pieces around the core. As long as Duncan and Parker are healthy, we'll be fine.

Texas_Ranger
10-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I would like to see Nocioni or Pietrus in the Spurs uniform.

SpursWillOwn
10-17-2006, 07:45 AM
NOCIONI! how bout delfino and scola? hermann??

ploto
10-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Nobody on that list.
I agree.

I think Horry will retire after this season. As for Beno I don't think he will finish the season here.

This team is in deed getting old fast.
I think it is a concern because the one young player to develop the past 2 seasons was Beno and look how that turned out.

I think that the quick turnover of players has not been good for development of role players. People assume you can keep plugging different people around the big 3 and it will work but I wonder what would have happened had the team ever stood a little more pat with whom they had and were successful with. Even after championships, they got rid of several players. They give you a year or two and then you are gone.

ploto
10-17-2006, 08:37 AM
However, if Horry retires and they don't bring back Beno, then they have some room to move.

I believe there exists (although I have never been able to confirm) in Rob's contract a previously agreed upon buy-out amount if he decides not to play the final year. Wouldn't that still count towards the luxury tax if they pay him that?

wildbill2u
10-17-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm wondering about all those young Euro players that were signed as future NBA players. I don't see much sign of any of them--Javtokas, Sanizkidze, Mahini-- 'breaking out' from where they are into serious NBA players.

Scola is a different problem and challenge; he's older and has obviously peaked. I don't know if there is a real need for his skills as a backup to Tim who'd get limited minutes. For the future, we'd probably be better off looking for a bigger, more athletic power forward here in the states.

thispego
10-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Kevin Garnett

BOOK IT