PDA

View Full Version : Pop makes Massenburg feel like family

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Pop makes Massenburg feel like family
Web Posted: 10/30/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Joe Alexander
MySanAntonio.com

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA103004.online.BKNspurs.massenburg.7ed86ba.html

Tony Massenburg came to the Spurs with a reputation for being a strong rebounder and inside defender.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has much higher expectations for the veteran forward.

For that, Massenburg is grateful.

Massenburg scored 12 points in 14 minutes Friday as the Spurs beat the New Orleans Hornets 102-86 in a preseason game at the SBC Center.

“What people saw from him tonight is what we expected from him,” Popovich said. “We know he’s a good scorer.

“I’ve known him a long time. I know what he can do.”

Massenburg has played for 12 teams since starting out as a rookie with the Spurs in the 1990-91 season.

Even after all the moving around, beginning a season with another team is still a dramatic change.

“Sure it is - it’s a big deal,” said Massenburg, who signed with the Spurs as a free agent in August. “People look at my situation and think I should be used to it. Guys like me have to adjust fast. You don’t have a lot of time.”

His familiarity with Popovich is part of what led him back to San Antonio, and what has him feeling good about his situation as a Spur with the opening game of his 13th NBA season just a few days away.

“The thing with Pop is Pop knows me,” Massenburg said. “He knows my game and everything that I bring. That’s a huge advantage for me as a player.

“I haven’t had that in other places. Usually they just expect me to rebound.”

The well-traveled Massenburg averaged 10.0 points during the 1995-96 season while splitting the season between Philadelphia and Toronto. His biggest scoring season was 1998-99, when he averaged 11.2 points while playing for Vancouver.

Massenburg spent last season playing for Sacramento, where it seems like almost everyone is a big scorer. Yet Massenburg averaged just 4.3 points per game - his lowest scoring season in a decade.

The Spurs are a team known for their defense, yet Massenburg is feeling comfortable with his ability to contribute at the offensive end.

“We just don’t take as many threes as my last team,” Massenburg said. “We look to take more good shots. Me, I don’t take bad shots so my role hasn’t changed.

“I have more offensive freedom here, which is great.”

Massenburg had back-to-back baskets in the second quarter of Friday’s game, helping the Spurs extend a one-point lead to seven early in the period. He turned a hustling steal into a dunk. Moments later had scored off a pass from Manu Ginobili as the Spurs jumped in front 30-23.

Massenburg hit 5 of 9 from the field for the game. He also collected four rebounds, two steals, and an assist while picking up five fouls.

His presence - along with Malik Rose and Robert Horry - gives the Spurs experienced backups for starting big men Tim Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic. Massenburg, Rose, and Horry have 32 combined seasons of NBA experience.

“Mass is a veteran any team could use,” Rose said. “He’s catching on to our system really quickly. He’s a great rebounder and great defender.

“He can do what our bigs here have always done - score from the inside and hit the jumper.”

ShoogarBear
10-30-2004, 01:25 AM
I've always said Mass has a good touch around the basket and will hurt you if you don't account for him.

He's had several games in the past where he's hurt the Spurs with his offense.

timvp
10-30-2004, 01:27 AM
The more I see Massenburg, the more I like him. He's tough, can rebound and will put up points around the basket. He also isn't afraid to dunk.

Massenburg had a sweet break away steal that ended with a one-handed dunk:spin

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 01:28 AM
Massenburg had a sweet break away steal that ended with a one-handed dunk

That was the best play of the game. He stole it at mid-court and did a powerful one-hand jam. It was so good that it was kind of funny that it was Massenburg.

BronxCowboy
10-30-2004, 07:41 AM
I do have a problem with the headline "Pop makes Massenburg feel like family." He isn't family until he gets his first ass-chewing/benching. ;)

SpursWoman
10-30-2004, 09:07 AM
The more I see Massenburg, the more I like him. He's tough, can rebound and will put up points around the basket. He also isn't afraid to dunk.

Me, too. Watching him last night I couldn't understand why so many were dogging him....he was really hustling.

Massenburg had a sweet break away steal that ended with a one-handed dunk:spin

That was awesome!

http://www.londonpostcard.co.uk/images/southpark/spmp3058.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Mass was horribly miscast as a King last season and all his bitching was justified.

He's going to be happy here and we're going to be happy to have him.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been a better rebounder over the course of his career -- seems to have all the tools and attitude....

boutons
10-30-2004, 09:40 AM
"surprised he hasn't been a better rebounder"

Yep, me,too. I guess the lack of heart/desire that rebounding requires to go along with all his tools is one of the reasons the Spurs are his 13th team.

If Pop can connect with him, R.E.S.P.E.C.T., to get him to play above mediocrity, and Tony can quit connecting with opponents at a foul-a-minute rate, Tony could be of real help and finish up his career on a higher level. He's looking good so far. At this foul rate, if somebody in front of him in rotation goes out and Tony get more PT, Tony will foul out in 20 minutes. He's almost as bad a DRob in his later years.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 09:42 AM
If we're counting on Mass to play more than 20 minutes per game, we might as well call the season now.

Tell Tony he lacks heart to his face....

boutons
10-30-2004, 11:44 AM
"Tell Tony he lacks heart to his face...."

Absolutely no reticence to do that, but I'll do it right after shrub signs up his twins to fight in Iraq.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 12:10 PM
That intimates reticence, if not outright fear.