PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Udrih hopes to return this week

Solid D
10-17-2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101706.1D.spurs.331a008.html

Web Posted: 10/16/2006 11:53 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Beno Udrih, who has yet to practice with the Spurs this preseason because of a sore right hamstring, said Monday he hopes to be back on the court by the end of the week.
Udrih is allowed to shoot, script plays and participate in some of the team's drills, but hasn't been cleared for contact.

He ran at "70, 80 percent" speed prior to Saturday's game against Orlando.

"I feel much better," Udrih said. "I didn't feel any pain, but still the strength is not where we want it to be.

"I have still a little bit of fear that I'll do it again, but I think when I'm done in a couple of days, I should be ready to go."

Udrih first hurt his hamstring a month ago while running sprints as part of his off-season conditioning work. He said he tried to play on it a couple of weeks later but tweaked it again.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expressed his frustration over Udrih's absence early in training camp by calling him the team's "fourth point guard." Popovich said Monday he hasn't decided yet how he'll use Udrih once he's cleared to play.

"It will depend some on how close we are to the season," Popovich said, "and how the other guys are playing."

The Spurs signed Jacque Vaughn presumably to be their third point guard while hoping Udrih would be dependable enough to back up Tony Parker. Vaughn played well in training camp but hasn't been as consistent since, which isn't surprising considering he's trying to learn the team's offense.

Popovich also thinks Brent Barry can provide depth at point guard, depending on the matchup. About 10 of the 17 minutes Barry played Saturday were at the point.

"I think it's a challenge and one I'd like to take on," Barry said. "I think it would be fun.

"I need as much playing time as possible, and the more minutes at that position, the better. Not only to get in shape, but also to understand what it's going to take to be effective at that position in our offense."

Barry shared point-guard duties, at times, when he was in Seattle, but usually did so from the off-guard position. Because a lot of the Spurs' offense is motion-based, they don't worry as much about who brings the ball up the floor.

"In our system, the ball can really go anywhere," Barry said. "We tend to get Tony the ball all the time, and he ends up running point quite a bit. But I think Pop would just like to see the ball get up the court, whether it's in Manu (Ginobili)'s hands, my hands or Michael (Finley)'s hands, if we're pushing the tempo."

The change, however, comes when the Spurs need someone to initiate the offense in a specific halfcourt set. That's one reason Udrih probably is still the team's best option to back up Parker.

Provided he can get healthy. And stay healthy.

"I'm not worried because I know the plays and everything from last year," Udrih said. "I'm just sad that I couldn't be with the guys on the court. I'm not in the shape I wanted to be right now."

Notebook: The Spurs didn't practice Sunday or Monday. Popovich instead took the team Monday morning to visit wounded soldiers at Brooke Army Medical Center. The NBA typically wants its teams to use their community-relations events as "NBA Cares" photo ops for the media, but Popovich requested this visit himself and told his staff he didn't want any attention drawn to it. The Spurs' coach has privately made trips to BAMC in the past, sometimes asking a player or two to accompany him. ... Afterward, the team made an appearance at the Spurs' annual charity golf tournament.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
San Antonio Express-News publish date Oct. 17, 2006

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Where the able to successfully drain the suck out of him?

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Kill yourselves.

Honestly the spurs have bigger things to worry about, if Beno bounces back he does, if not who cares. The entire spurs season isn't riding on Beno Udrih.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Kill yourselves.

Honestly the spurs have bigger things to worry about, if Beno bounces back he does, if not who cares. The entire spurs season isn't riding on Beno Udrih.

No one is acting like the entire season is riding on it. So you can curb your stupid, "Kill yourselves" type comments in every thread you post in.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Kill yourselves.

???

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Whatever his satus by the end of the week, he sure looked good playing golf on Monday. :lol

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 12:36 AM
No one is acting like the entire season is riding on it. So you can curb your stupid, "Kill yourselves" type comments in every thread you post in.

Fuck you. I'm tired of all the Beno threads you all need to calm down. And I don't put so called "kill yourselves" comments in every thread I post in.

ATX Spur
10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Kill yourselves.

Do you have a copywright on those two words? B/c you use them like you're they're going out of style.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Fuck you. I'm tired of all the Beno threads you all need to calm down. And I don't put so called "kill yourselves" comments in every thread I post in.

http://www.wdisneyw.com/forums/images/smilies05/popcorn.gif

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 12:38 AM

Wow, you'd think he was injured and this was their offseason so there is nothing better to talk about.

Solid D
10-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Kill yourselves.

"Go kill yourself"...or...."just die".....or "I'm going to stab you"

are disgusting little, trendy expressions that are already getting to be so "5 minutes ago".

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
"Go kill yourself"...or...."just die".....or "I'm going to stab you"

are disgusting little, trendy expressions that are already getting to be so "5 minutes ago".

It's those goddamn emos, I becha this kids an emo, god I fucking hate emos

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-17-2006, 12:42 AM
The answer is "four", Kori.

Kori Ellis

You are tired of Beno threads in a Spurs forum? Go to a Mavs forum, dumbfuck.

:sleep

mavs>spurs2
For the record, I was just joking it wasn't serious till Kori dropped her little pms tirade on me.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 12:43 AM
For the record, I was just joking it wasn't serious till Kori dropped her little pms tirade on me.

fuckin emo

Kori Ellis

What tirade?! I just told you how it is. If you don't like it, it's pretty easy to leave.

T Park
A disrespecting little snot isn't he.

Mavericks fans are the most vile human beings on this earth.

Raider fan looks like AZ Cardinal fan compared to this.

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 12:45 AM
It's those goddamn emos, I becha this kids an emo, god I fucking hate emos

Wrong and wrong.

Not a kid, not an emo. Is that the best you got? Please, don't waste my time.

timvp
:cry

http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/heat_champions_1-759389.jpg

ATX Spur

For the record, there are Mavs fans on this board who can compose themselves for longer than a minute. You can't.

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Ah....the sweet smell of spurs fans talking shit. You can just tell basketball season is right around the corner.

timvp
10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
"I'm not in the shape I wanted to be right now."

Shocking. :sleep

Wait a second. The only person who would be tired of Beno threads would be Beno himself. mavs>spurs = Beno?

Trainwreck2100
Wrong and wrong.

That's emo talk right there.

Solid D
Props to Pop for not turning the BAMC hospital trip into a media event.

By the way, there is still another place or two Johnny doesn't mention regarding the PG position. In 1) the Spurs' transition offense; and 2) in defending opposing PGs.

In the transition offense, the PG usually runs the middle of the floor or gets to the middle as soon as possible. In defending opposing quick PGs, it helps to have someone like a Tony or Jacque or Beno to defend them. Brent has a difficult enough time staying in front of wing players.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2006, 12:51 AM
In the transition offense, the PG usually runs the middle of the floor or gets to the middle as soon as possible. In defending opposing quick PGs, it helps to have someone like a Tony or Jacque or Beno to defend them. Brent has a difficult enough time staying in front of wing players.

Yeah Brent said the other night in post game that he doesn't have his legs yet, in reference to some of the things that are necessary from the point position. He also repeatedly said, "I won't be able to play it like Tony" as if anyone was expecting him to be that fast :lol

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Why are the spurs wanting Barry to play PG again? Is it because lack of faith in Beno? I guess that makes sense, even though Barry isn't exactly a point guard.

midgetonadonkey
10-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Beno Udrih is dead to me.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Why are the spurs wanting Barry to play PG again? Is it because lack of faith in Beno? I guess that makes sense, even though Barry isn't exactly a point guard.

don't you have to go cut yourself and cry about dead birds, and stuff like that?

Solid D
10-17-2006, 12:57 AM
That's emo talk right there.

http://www.dobi.nu/emo/boystop.gif
http://www.dobi.nu/emo/boysmiddle.gif
http://www.dobi.nu/emo/boysbottom.gif
How to dress emo
http://www.dobi.nu/emo/boys.htm

THE SIXTH MAN
10-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Wrong and wrong.

What time it seems like you have a lot of time on your hands.

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 01:02 AM
What time it seems like you have a lot of time on your hands.

How is that so? I doubt i'm on this site any more than you and i'm only here because its a good board and most mav boards suck. There's nothing wrong with that.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-17-2006, 01:03 AM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6359/reoox1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 01:04 AM
How is that so? I doubt i'm on this site any more than you and i'm only here because its a good board and most mav boards suck. There's nothing wrong with that.

Say that on your myspace blog

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 01:04 AM
What is with you people and your fascination with emo's? Why am I supposed to be an emo again?

THE SIXTH MAN
10-17-2006, 01:09 AM
How is that so? I doubt i'm on this site any more than you

Exactly, I do spend a lot of time on this site because its great. But Im not telling people to stop wasting my time, because at this time of the day I have a lot of it.

sendman
10-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Beno Udrih is dead to me.
And you are dead to Udrih.

Bruno
10-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expressed his frustration over Udrih's absence early in training camp by calling him the team's "fourth point guard." Popovich said Monday he hasn't decided yet how he'll use Udrih once he's cleared to play.

"It will depend some on how close we are to the season," Popovich said, "and how the other guys are playing."

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the PG/SG/SF rotation. Spurs will have 7 PGSG/SF on the active roster. Parker/Ginobili/Bowen/Finley/Barry are locks and their are 3 players for the last 2 spots : Udrih, Vaughn and Williams or Melzer :

So who should be put on the inactive list ? :

- Vaughn ? : Udrih/Barry are both slow and bad defenders, Spurs won't have a good defensive PG behind Parker for the day who the opposite PG is on fire.

- Udrih ? : Should Pop give up on him ? He is still the most legit backup PG : Vaughn is a limited player and Barry isn't a PG.

- Williams or Melzer ? : One of Spurs bigest need was a true SF to play against strong SF, can Spurs win a title without a player to fill that need ?

leemajors
10-17-2006, 07:38 AM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6359/reoox1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hahaha damn somethingawful rules. long live lowtax.

Phenomanul
10-17-2006, 07:44 AM
It will be interesting to see what will happen with the PG/SG/SF rotation. Spurs will have 7 PGSG/SF on the active roster. Parker/Ginobili/Bowen/Finley/Barry are locks and their are 3 players for the last 2 spots : Udrih, Vaughn and Williams or Melzer :

So who should be put on the inactive list ? :

- Vaughn ? : Udrih/Barry are both slow and bad defenders, Spurs won't have a good defensive PG behind Parker for the day who the opposite PG is on fire.

- Udrih ? : Should Pop give up on him ? He is still the most legit backup PG : Vaughn is a limited player and Barry isn't a PG.

- Williams or Melzer ? : One of Spurs bigest need was a true SF to play against strong SF, can Spurs win a title without a player to fill that need ?

He played the position in Seattle averaging something like 5.4 assists per game....

He's not a natural 1, but he can play the position.

ploto
10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
He played the position in Seattle averaging something like 5.4 assists per game....

He's not a natural 1, but he can play the position.
On offense- yes. I have always wanted the ball in Brent's hands. Defense will be a different story.

SequSpur
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Udrih hopes to return this week

:clap :downspin: :clap

:elephant

ploto
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
As for Beno, he appears to be firmly planted in the dog house will no exit in sight. I never thought the Spurs would pick up his option anyway.

Gerryatrics
10-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Barry shared point-guard duties, at times, when he was in Seattle, but usually did so from the off-guard position. Because a lot of the Spurs' offense is motion-based, they don't worry as much about who brings the ball up the floor.

He shared point-guard duties when Gary Payton was still here, after the trade for Ray Allen he started at point-guard. He would come out of the game and the backup PG would come in, then Barry would replace Allen at the two spot when he came out, that's how he got his time as the off-guard, but the backup PG would usually still run the point until he subbed out and Brent slid back over to the point. I should mention he also led the league in adjusted field-goal percentage (he shot 50 FG%, 45 3PT%, 83 FT%) and averaged 5.8 assists in his last season as a Sonic, as their starting Point Guard.

And is the Spurs offense really motion-based? I don't get to watch a lot of Spurs games, but when I do I usually see a bunch of guys standing around, and ball movement is composed entirely of dumping it in to Duncan in the post or handing it off to Parker or Ginobili.

wildbill2u
10-17-2006, 09:19 AM
OK, I'm willing to show my ignorance about the latest slang: what's an emo?

MajorMike
10-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Kill yourselves.

Which is EXACTLY why he needs to go.

cheguevara
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
mavs>spurs u a dumbfuck if you think a much improved beno wouldn't make a difference. Even a bad Beno is an improvement over VanX.

what are the other bigger things we need to worry about? the mavs? fuck the mavs, their 15 minutes are up

angel_luv
10-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Beno Udrih, who has yet to practice with the Spurs this preseason because of a sore right hamstring, said Monday he hopes to be back on the court by the end of the week.
Udrih is allowed to shoot, script plays and participate in some of the team's drills, but hasn't been cleared for contact.

He ran at "70, 80 percent" speed prior to Saturday's game against Orlando.

"I feel much better," Udrih said. "I didn't feel any pain, but still the strength is not where we want it to be.

"I have still a little bit of fear that I'll do it again, but I think when I'm done in a couple of days, I should be ready to go."

I saw Beno warming up on Saturday and wondered what that meant for him progress wise. It's good to hear he is feeling better.

All right, Beno. Time to get out there. :)

ploto
10-17-2006, 11:16 AM
And is the Spurs offense really motion-based? I don't get to watch a lot of Spurs games, but when I do I usually see a bunch of guys standing around, and ball movement is composed entirely of dumping it in to Duncan in the post or handing it off to Parker or Ginobili.
Was moreso in 2004. Not so much any more.

Solid D
10-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Yes, they run a wide variety of motion style offenses but not very often in crunch time. End of quarters or 4th quarter, you see a lot more half-court hub and spoke off of Tim in the post (4-Down on the low block). The reason you may not remember seeing much motion is people tend to remember seeing the Spurs play in playoff games and watching them at the end of games. That's when the style changes to high and side screen/rolls and 4-down.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Why are you asking questions about Beno five posts after saying you were sick of Beno threads?

Fucking troll.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
OK, I'm willing to show my ignorance about the latest slang: what's an emo?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?userid=6434

sendman
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
OK, let's talk about Benos man purse. :dizzy

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
OK, let's talk about Benos man purse. :dizzy

Metros are almost as bad as emos

sendman
10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Metros are almost as bad as emos
What's wrong with emos? And what kind of a man purse would do that to you? :ttiwwp:

mikejones99
10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Beno would start for Dallas, fuckhead

jn77
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM
You are tired of Beno threads in a Spurs forum? Go to a Mavs forum, dumbfuck.

:sleep

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :downspin: :downspin: :clap

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
mavs>spurs u a dumbfuck if you think a much improved beno wouldn't make a difference. Even a bad Beno is an improvement over VanX.

what are the other bigger things we need to worry about? the mavs? fuck the mavs, their 15 minutes are up

How much improved? That's a gray area. If he improves into a great role player then sure he would make a difference. I think the spurs are just hoping for him to play a good 10-15 minutes at PG instead of never getting in at all. In that case, no he wouldn't make that much of a difference when Tony is getting most of the minutes anyways and you still have Vaughn.

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 03:42 PM

I love this guy he always has something laughable to say. Gave me something to laugh at anyways thanks man. :tu

Bruno
10-17-2006, 05:29 PM
As for Beno, he appears to be firmly planted in the dog house will no exit in sight.

It's not what Pop says in this article.

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 07:02 PM

But, if everyone else is "playing better" then he could still be in the dog house, as ploto has said.

*Edited, I just noticed, what a loser.

ploto
10-17-2006, 08:29 PM
It's not what Pop says in this article.
Yeah- like I believe what Pop says.

Bruno
10-18-2006, 06:09 AM
But, if everyone else is "playing better" then he could still be in the doug house, as ploto has said.

If he is outplayed he won't play, it's not being in the doghouse.

The situation is quite clear for the backup PG :
- 3 players postulate to be the backup PG : Udrih, Vaughn and Barry.
- None is a lock for the moment.
- Given that Beno hasn't played for the moment, he is the 4th string PG.
- The best player wil get the backup PG spot.

That's how I understand this article.

After you can always think that Pop is a liar and that he will put Beno in the doghouse because he doesn't trust him for the playoff and want to work with Barry and Vaughn. Barry and Vaughn as backup PG isn't that bad : Barry will be the main backup PG and Vaugh will be used to defend against quick PGs who are good scorers.

Renu_
10-18-2006, 02:53 PM

:lol good one :tu

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Mavericks fans are the most vile human beings on this earth.

:tu

ashbeeigh
10-18-2006, 04:34 PM
If he is outplayed he won't play, it's not being in the doghouse.

Understandable, and I've never seen Vaughn play, so I can't place him above or below a good Beno game or a bad Beno game. And I'd be confident in putting Barry above him, if indeed he did show the ability.

After you can always think that Pop is a liar and that he will put Beno in the doghouse because he doesn't trust him for the playoff and want to work with Barry and Vaughn.

CIA Pop. And I choose to believe the coaching staff can at least try to put behind the whole Detroit series meltdown, and I can see everyone here always brings that up. And I'm not there, so I can't say.

ducks
10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
NOT