PDA

View Full Version : Fire Alarm Battery?

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
My roommate and I woke up at 8 this morning to an annoying beep. Not a lound one, not a continuous beep, but constant. I was like "It's a bird outside..." and rolled over. She inspected and found it was our fire alarm. After about 20 minutes I got up to see if it wa dust or something and saw there was one specific light going off, the battery light. Because I live in a university apartment I have to put in a "maintance request" for anything to be fixed. But, there are like four people ahead of me and this beeping is constant (like every thirty seconds). Does anyone know if the battery for a FirstAlert fire alarm is just a simple AA, AAA type battery? Or am I just SOL until maintance comes in like a week?

boutons_
10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
http://www.firstalert.com/

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Well, if that wasn't obvious. Thanks. I'll look at that after class if they haven't fixed it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Ashbeeigh, since it's an apartment, you probably have two options.

1. Go to them and ask them for the battery to put it in yourself (similar to the way apartments will exchange air filters).

2. If they're just being dicks, you can use the "emergency" clause. If something that necessary breaks, you're usually pushed to the head of the line (IE: AC on hot days, only bathroom, etc.), but I wouldn't go that route unless they're just dicks.

Go with #1. Go get the battery from the office and replace it yourself. No fuss, no muss.

Taco
10-17-2006, 11:44 AM
I think it's a 9V all mine are 9V

RashoFan
10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
The resident firefighter here says 9v....you can do it yourself, but ifthe office does have to change it...your maintenence request is a top priority...plus it olny takes a minute to fix.

midgetonadonkey
10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
My fire alarm is in one of my drawers.

RashoFan
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
that is a good place for it... :grim: :shootme

Mixability
10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
that is a good place for it... :grim: :shootme

He might have hot pants in that drawer and he's just trying to be safe.

RashoFan
10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
:lol

Solid D
10-17-2006, 02:57 PM
9v at my house. It always happens at night. Murphey's law.

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 03:32 PM
9v at my house. It always happens at night. Murphey's law.
:td We got lucky it was the middle of the day. And stll no signs of anybody coming to fix it.

2Blonde
10-17-2006, 03:43 PM
If I were you I would go to the maintenance office and ask for a stack of maintenance requests and when they ask why tell them you need to file one every time the the alarm goes off until it gets fixed. Or you could just remind them of their liability if a fire were to break out when the maintenance request you had put in was not made a priority. :dramaquee

Jimcs50
10-17-2006, 03:45 PM
yes, 9 volt, usually 2 of them.

Just buy it yourself...save you some irritation.

Reminds me of the Friends episode when Phoebe's alarm kept going off like that. :)

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
If I were you I would go to the maintenance office and ask for a stack of maintenance requests and when they ask why tell them you need to file one every time the the alarm goes off until it gets fixed. Or you could just remind them of their liability if a fire were to break out when the maintenance request you had put in was not made a priority. :dramaquee

Sounds good, but the way we do it it's all up to the RA to file it. Super lame. And I don't want to bother her today, it's her birthday.

Reminds me of the Friends episode when Phoebe's alarm kept going off like that. :)

:lmao. Yeees. By the end of the night I may go out and get some. I'll take someone with me so I get the right ones though. I'm just so easy going that it's just kind of blended in with all the other noises around, including the obnxious boys that live upstairs.

PM5K
10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
just buy a damn 9v battery....

ShoogarBear
10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
My fire alarm is in one of my drawers.

That's the best place for it, since it's next to your weed.

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
just buy a damn 9v battery....

I pay them $26,000 a year, the least they can do for me is give me a fucking battery on their way to cut the grass (which they actually are doing right now). :madrun. I also like bitching. Don't rain on my damn parade.

PM5K
10-17-2006, 04:42 PM
:rolleyes

RashoFan
10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
That's the best place for it, since it's next to your weed.
:lmao

RashoFan
10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I pay them $26,000 a year, the least they can do for me is give me a fucking battery on their way to cut the grass (which they actually are doing right now). :madrun. I also like bitching. Don't rain on my damn parade.
I wonder if a call to the Fire Marshall's office would get them to expedite the maintenece request.....I have the number if you want it...

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I wonder if a call to the Fire Marshall's office would get them to expedite the maintenece request.....I have the number if you want it...

We just ran and got the battery after dinner. Everything is good now. When they come by, whenever they do, I'll let them know that we fixed it ourselves. Now, it's just the principle of things. I may go by Res Life tomorrow during my break and tell the director of res life that I need a handful of 9v batteries, just to be a smart ass. But if I ever need a phone number I'll ask ya.

mookie2001
10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Ashbeeigh, since it's an apartment, you probably have two options.

1. Go to them and ask them for the battery to put it in yourself (similar to the way apartments will exchange air filters).

2. If they're just being dicks, you can use the "emergency" clause. If something that necessary breaks, you're usually pushed to the head of the line (IE: AC on hot days, only bathroom, etc.), but I wouldn't go that route unless they're just dicks.

Go with #1. Go get the battery from the office and replace it yourself. No fuss, no muss.:wakeup

PM5K
10-17-2006, 07:38 PM
We just ran and got the battery after dinner. Everything is good now.

Easy ain't it?

ShoogarBear
10-17-2006, 07:41 PM
The morons who built my place put the smoke detector in my bedroom at the very peak of the 28-ft high cathedral ceiling. WTF? I had to buy a $300 ladder just to be able to change out the battery.

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Easy ain't it?

You know... you are not helping my cause at all! :lol My first and only question was what type of battery do I need and can I fix it myself, which was answered quickly. Like I said before, now it's the principle of the matter.

PM5K
10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
You know... you are not helping my cause at all! :lol My first and only question was what type of battery do I need and can I fix it myself, which was answered quickly. Like I said before, now it's the principle of the matter.

Did you lick it before you put it in?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Almost always.

ashbeeigh
10-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Did you lick it before you put it in?

Of course. Not.

PM5K
10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Of course. Not.

I find that makes it easier to put it in, it's a little shocking though.....

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/2ch9x6u.jpg

RashoFan
10-17-2006, 10:31 PM
The morons who built my place put the smoke detector in my bedroom at the very peak of the 28-ft high cathedral ceiling. WTF? I had to buy a $300 ladder just to be able to change out the battery.
Gee for about $10-15 bucks, you could have just installed a second smoke detector a little lower and say screw the 28 ft high alarm...and save a little :bling

Notorious H.O.P.
10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
He still would have needed the ladder to shut off the detector in the first place. Of course, then it could be immediately returned under the old "it's not tall enough" routine.

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Gee for about $10-15 bucks, you could have just installed a second smoke detector a little lower and say screw the 28 ft high alarm...and save a little :blingExcept I still would have had to get up there to disconnect the damn thing and stop it from beeping. (EDIT: like H.O.P. said).

What I think I will do is buy one of those alarms without the battery backup. I don't want to have to do that 6 months.

2Blonde
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Except I still would have had to get up there to disconnect the damn thing and stop it from beeping. (EDIT: like H.O.P. said).

What I think I will do is buy one of those alarms without the battery backup. I don't want to have to do that 6 months.

We switched over to those kind. Much nicer. They are wired in to our home alarm system and that's only one gigantic back up battery at the control console that we have to change out about every five years.