PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs' Oberto proudly grungy

Solid D
10-18-2006, 12:09 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101806.03C.BKNspurs.oberto.3002e55.html

Web Posted: 10/17/2006 10:30 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/1018spurs_oberto_eao.jpg

Paris has a lot to offer the average tourist. Sidewalk cafes. Dozens of museums. The 75-story Eiffel Tower. The famed Notre Dame cathedral. A life-sized wax figure of Tony Parker.
But the historic landmark Fabricio Oberto chose to visit during the Spurs' recent off day in the City of Lights wasn't included on the standard bus tour: Jim Morrison's grave, the supposed final resting place for the late frontman of The Doors.

"Most of the people I listen to, their music was influenced by The Doors," said Oberto, who wasn't born until nearly four years after Morrison's death on July 3, 1971. "Pearl Jam, Nirvana. I like a lot of grunge."

Oberto's musical taste isn't too unlike his game. Edgy. Energetic. And, in the words of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, "dirty."

"Fabricio is a guy who will do the blue-collar work for you," Popovich said. "The ugly stuff."

The ugly stuff may be good enough to give Oberto a larger role with the Spurs this season. After averaging only 8.3 minutes in 59 games last season, he has started each of the team's three preseason games.

Popovich said he hasn't decided who will start at center on opening night. Francisco Elson, whose length and speed will be needed for some matchups, could get an opportunity to play with the first team in some of the upcoming exhibition games.

But Popovich also has made it clear if Elson wants the starting job full-time, he will have to earn it.

Oberto said he's not worried about who starts.

"I just want to help the team," he said. "If I get a chance to do that in the beginning or (off the bench), I'm going to be ready. I understand my role. I have to work."

Last season, Oberto did most of his work in practice. After deciding to leave Europe and sign a three-year contract with the Spurs, he needed a while to adjust to the NBA. Minutes were hard to come by on a team already trying to find enough playing time for Robert Horry, Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic.

Oberto showed some potential when he averaged 7.0 points and 4.9 rebounds while filling in for Horry during a four-game stretch in January. But he then had the misfortune of spraining his left ankle, and was sidelined for nearly two weeks.

"In the beginning, the speed of the game was really hard," Oberto said. "I feel like last year, I was one step behind when we were playing."

Oberto used the time in practice to work with Chip Engelland, the team's shooting coach. Engelland helped Oberto correct his form so he wasn't releasing the ball from behind his head. His .556 free-throw percentage, abysmal by most standards, was his highest in six years.

Oberto hopes his work with Engelland won't make him as much of a scoring liability this season. But that doesn't mean he plans to launch 10 jump shots a game. Most of his opportunities will still come from the offensive rebounds he gets.

In the Spurs' three exhibition games, two of which were against international teams, Oberto has averaged 5.7 points and 6.3 rebounds in 18.3 minutes. What hasn't shown in his stats are the screens he sets for his teammates and the passes he makes.

"He does all the little things," Parker said. "All the things that help Timmy (Duncan)."

Though Oberto is listed as 6-foot-10, he is a little undersized for a center. He tries to compensate with his energy, which can lead to foul trouble, particularly when he's matched against the league's more athletic big men. He's had some success guarding Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, but only for short stretches.

"I don't think it's a matter of how intense I play but how I put my hands or how I move my legs," he said. "I feel like I'm getting better with that."

Unlike former New Orleans guard Arvydas Macijauskas, who negotiated a buyout with the Hornets this summer after not playing much last season, Oberto said he didn't consider returning to Europe.

"I just took that year as a learning year," he said. "Even though I'm going to be 32, I'm never going to be too tired to learn."

Oberto's favorite hobby is an example of that. Growing up in Argentina, he listened to U2, Nirvana, Metallica, Guns N' Roses and The Black Crowes. About five years ago, he decided to learn how to play guitar.

Oberto has now found a partner in Brent Barry, who is good enough friends with the members of Pearl Jam to accompany them on part of their tour last summer. If the two decide to record together anytime soon, it likely won't be for public consumption.

"We're planning more to practice," Oberto said. "I think he's a better player. I'm trying to improve a little bit. I'm really bad."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

T Park
10-18-2006, 12:26 AM
My respect level for Oberto has improved tenfold, just on his taste of music.

xamila rey
10-18-2006, 12:28 AM
solid D: thanx for posting the article :tu
muy bueno!

SequSpur
10-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Does Pop realize that he has the 6th best center in the NBA on his team?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-18-2006, 12:30 AM
I really hope this guy has a good season. I'm not a huge fan of his yet, but I'm willing to be converted like elliotfan... :lol

Solid D
10-18-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.lunchpaildefense.com/images/LunchPail_big.jpg

z0sa
10-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Oberto has always been good, he just needed to adjust to how fast the NBA game moves. I think he will do great things for this team now.

nkdlunch
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't say Oberto has ever been "good". But he is a hard worker and willing to do the dirty work that most NBA players don't like to do, like Bowen. he can be very succesful

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Does Pop realize that he has the 6th best center in the NBA on his team?:lmao

AFBlue
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
What would you guys define as "great things" or "successful". What kind of minutes, points, rebounds, and assists do you think he'll get?

What I like is that he's aggressive and seems more comfortable. But what really impresses me is that he has no ego. If he's better starting or off the bench, better playing 20 minutes or 2, he just wants the team to win.

Mr. Body
10-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Grungy? He should do like some NFL linemen - don't bathe before games. People won't want to guard him on the post.

boutons_
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
"he has no ego."

... is why he is not NBA material. :lol

z0sa
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
"he has no ego."

... is why he is not NBA material. :lol

...is exactly whats wrong with the Nba today.

LilMissSPURfect
10-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Grungy? He should do like some NFL linemen - don't bathe before games. People won't want to guard him on the post.

or like NBA players......aaaaahem <cough> DIRK <cough>..... :oink

Obstructed_View
10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
or like NBA players......aaaaahem <cough> DIRK <cough>..... :oink
I remember the interview with Tony Parker where he mentioned that Dirk stinks. You gotta be funky when a Frenchman thinks you have BO.

Winnipeg_Spur
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh man, I love The Doors. Good for you, Fabricio. :)

LilMissSPURfect
10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
I remember the interview with Tony Parker where he mentioned that Dirk stinks. You gotta be funky when a Frenchman thinks you have BO.

:lmao :lmao :rollin :rollin
http://www.poster.net/spongebob/spongebob-i-smell-the-smelly-smell-3701201.jpg
http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/misc/smelly_GI23.jpg

milkyway21
10-19-2006, 01:16 AM
:lmao :lmao :rollin :rollin
http://www.poster.net/spongebob/spongebob-i-smell-the-smelly-smell-3701201.jpg
http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/misc/smelly_GI23.jpg:lol

BTW, Elson as #2 center? why not Butler? :wtf