View Full Version : Black stars record Bible

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 11:52 AM
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/15737364.htm

Bible on CD
RECORDED FOR BLACK CHRISTIANS
By Frank E. Lockwood
HERALD-LEADER RELIGION WRITER

Denzel Washington made headlines when he starred in a Broadway adaptation of Julius Caesar. Now, he's appearing in a classic that's even older than William Shakespeare -- the Bible.

Washington is one of dozens of African-American stars who have teamed up to record The Bible Experience -- all 66 books stretching from Genesis to Revelations.

The Oscar-winning star of Glory and his wife, Pauletta Washington, recite the Song of Solomon.

Samuel L. Jackson (The Matrix, Star Wars, Snakes on a Plane) appears in the Gospels -- as God.

Forest Whitaker (Bird) plays Moses.

Blair Underwood (Sex and the City, Full Frontal) is Jesus.

Bishop T.D. Jakes (pastor of the Potter's House in Dallas) impersonates Abraham and the Holy Ghost.

Zondervan released the New Testament this month. The 19-CD recording, which features Today's New International Version of the Bible, retails for $49.99. The Old Testament is scheduled to come out in the fall of 2007.

The Bible Experience is one of two major projects coming out this month that targets the African-American Christian market.

The other is Color of the Cross -- a movie featuring a black Jesus -- which opens nationwide on Oct. 27. Twentieth Century Fox plans to release the film on video.

Color of the Cross, directed by Jean-Claude LaMarre, can't match The Bible Experience's star power.

The scriptural recording features Angela Bassett (as Esther) and Cuba Gooding Jr. (as Judas).

Eartha Kitt, Judge Greg Mathis and a Who's Who of gospel-music singers also add their voices.

Rev. Jacqueline White, pastor of Powerhouse Church of God in Lexington, says she's glad to see Hollywood stars using their cultural cachet to spread the gospel.

"I think it's a great idea," White said. "They reach a clientele that a lot of pastors would never reach."

Rev. T.H. Peoples Jr., pastor of Lexington's Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church, says it's good to portray Jesus without fair skin and fine cheek bones.

"The error we've made in the Christian community is portraying Jesus as a white Caucasian," Peoples said. "These people were not white. They were not black. They were brown."

A picture of a brown-skinned Jesus "can be just as holy," Peoples said, noting that Christ's true image is a mystery. "No picture you paint of him is accurate because there were no cameras. There were no artists painting pictures."

--------------

http://www.drizzle.com/~lostboy/images/SJackson.gif

"And you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Let the good time roll, Spurstalk. This should get real funny real fast if I know you like I do.

Good 'N Plenty
10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
:tu

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
"Enough is enough! I have had with this motherfucking serpent in my motherfucking garden!"

Solid D
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Man, I can imagine if TD Jakes or John Hagee were to quote Abraham, they would be adding an "uh" to the last word of every phrase or sentence. :lol

Genesis 17:17 Abraham fell facedown-uh; he laughed and said to himself-uh, "Will a son-uh... be born to a man-uh... a hundred years old-uh? Will Sarah bear a child-uh... at the age of ninety-uh?"

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Will Chris Rock be appearing as the long, lost disciple Rufus and finally setting the record straight?

Phenomanul
10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Man, I can imagine if TD Jakes or John Hagee were to quote Abraham, they would be adding an "uh" to the last word of every phrase or sentence. :lol

Genesis 17:17 Abraham fell facedown-uh; he laughed and said to himself-uh, "Will a son-uh... be born to a man-uh... a hundred years old-uh? Will Sarah bear a child-uh... at the age of ninety-uh?"

:lmao

Phenomanul
10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
........The other is Color of the Cross -- a movie featuring a black Jesus -- which opens nationwide on Oct. 27. Twentieth Century Fox plans to release the film on video.....

Ray Allen???

Phenomanul
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
I guess the voice cast just needed some Morgan Freeman, and some James Earl Jones....

Spurminator
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Samuel L. Jackson (The Matrix, Star Wars, Snakes on a Plane) appears in the Gospels -- as God.

Uh, wait a minute....

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 02:12 PM
They could have done so much better casting NBA players:

Black Jesus, as everyone knows, is Earl Monroe.

Moses. 'Nuff said.
Isaiah: 'Nuff said.
Abraham: Bill Russell.
Goliath: Wilt Chamberlain.
David: 'Nuff said.
Job: Patrick Ewing.
Solomon: Charles Barkley. :rolleyes
Samson: Doug Christie.
Delilah: Jackie Christie.
Jonah: Spud Webb.
The Whale: Shaquille O'Neal.
Judas: Carlos Boozer.
Satan: Karl Malone.

God, as Larry Bird said, is Michael Jordan. (God Shamgod gets honorable mention.)

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Uh, wait a minute....:lmao :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Uh, wait a minute....

I noticed that, too. I've read where both SLJ and Fishburne said people confuse them all the time.

Spurminator
10-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I mean seriously, a career like Jackson has had and the best they could come up with was a bit role in a horrible prequel trilogy, a kitschy B-movie and a movie he wasn't even IN???

Has Pulp Fiction been released in Kentucky?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I mean seriously, a career like Jackson has had and the best they could come up with was a bit role in a horrible prequel trilogy, a kitschy B-movie and a movie he wasn't even IN???

Has Pulp Fiction been released in Kentucky?

Can you imagine how many column inches it'd take for all of his movies? And I'm not talking agate either, I mean real column inches.

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Ohnoyoudidnt just dis SoaP . . . :madrun

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
They could have done so much better casting NBA players:

Black Jesus, as everyone knows, is Earl Monroe.

Moses. 'Nuff said.
Isaiah: 'Nuff said.
Abraham: Bill Russell.
Goliath: Wilt Chamberlain.
David: 'Nuff said.
Job: Patrick Ewing.
Solomon: Charles Barkley. :rolleyes
Samson: Doug Christie.
Delilah: Jackie Christie.
Jonah: Spud Webb.
The Whale: Shaquille O'Neal.
Judas: Carlos Boozer.
Satan: Karl Malone.

God, as Larry Bird said, is Michael Jordan. (God Shamgod gets honorable mention.)

This has been your daily "Shoog's how old?" reminder of the day.

Trainwreck2100
10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
"And God smote the evil Sodom and Gommorah, and when Abraham asked him if they deserved to die. The Lord God said 'YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPWE THEY BURN IN HAIL!'"

Spurminator
10-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Can you imagine how many column inches it'd take for all of his movies? And I'm not talking agate either, I mean real column inches.

Samuel L. Jackson deserves a 2-page spread in every daily, but that's neither here nor there... I'm just saying they could have picked 3 better movies.

Like what about Pulp Fiction, A Time to Kill and Blade? ;)

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
He was great in Driving Miss Daisy.

(Actually, he would have been great in Driving Miss Daisy. I might actually have watched that movie if he was in it.)

Solid D
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
:rollin @ ShoogarBear's casting with NBA players.

I think Steve Kerr should be Noah....

because he was always hanging out around the Arc.

Trainwreck2100
10-18-2006, 02:47 PM
:rollin @ ShoogarBear's casting with NBA players.

I think Steve Kerr should be Noah....

because he was always hanging out around the Arc.

Yes but there's just something missing that would prob disqualify him

Spurminator
10-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Maybe Antoine Walker would be a better fit.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Satan: Karl Malone

Wouldn't Mark Cuban or David Stern make more sense in this role?

Trainwreck2100
10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't Mark Cuban or David Stern make more sense in this role?

Once again something they lack would disqualify them

Solid D
10-18-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/gangstarly.jpg

Spurminator
10-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Once again something they lack would disqualify them

Indeed. Hooved feet and a trident.

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Hence, the Mailman.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Bruce Bowen as the Plagues of Egypt, or at least the one that blocked out the sun and covered the entire land in darkness.

D-Wade as Lazarus-because no one can touch him for fear of something bad happening to them.

Tracy McGrady as Moses, because he leads his people out of the lottery/slavery but can't get them to the Promised Land. Also, when he came down from Space Mountain in Orlando and into Houston his back had aged considerably.

Larry Brown as King Herod, because who else would order the slaughter of the young?

Mike D'Antoni as Pharoah. When God took away the running game in the middle of the Red Sea he was screwed.

Robert Horry as Mesthusala.

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Robert Horry as Mesthusala.Sorry, Cliff Robinson. :lol

jman3000
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Bruce Bowen as the Plagues of Egypt, or at least the one that blocked out the sun and covered the entire land in darkness.

D-Wade as Lazarus-because no one can touch him for fear of something bad happening to them.

Tracy McGrady as Moses, because he leads his people out of the lottery/slavery but can't get them to the Promised Land. Also, when he came down from Space Mountain in Orlando and into Houston his back had aged considerably.

Larry Brown as King Herod, because who else would order the slaughter of the young?

Mike D'Antoni as Pharoah. When God took away the running game in the middle of the Red Sea he was screwed.

Robert Horry as Mesthusala.
:lol

Solid D
10-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry, Cliff Robinson. :lol

:lol

Genesis 5:27 Altogether, Methuselah lived 969 years, and then he died.