PDA

View Full Version : Isiah lashes out at Greg Anthony for comments made on Draft Night.

Kermit
10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Now that Renaldo Blackman has done somewhat well in the "pre-season" Isiah has decided to go Charles Whitman on his detractors, starting with ESPN's own Greg Anthony. Because of this lastest revelation, Isiah could earn himself a un-heard of third straight "douche of the universe" award.

NEW YORK -- The surprising play of rookie forward Renaldo Balkman this preseason has Knicks GM/coach Isiah Thomas feeling good. And he's letting ESPN analyst Greg Anthony, a former Knick, hear about it.

Still upset over Anthony's draft night criticism after the Knicks selected the unheralded Balkman with the No. 20 pick, Thomas ripped his fellow former point guard Wednesday.

"This so-called former Knick, on draft night with millions of people watching, had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and talks about a kid he has absolutely no idea about. I'm just glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

Thomas went on to question Anthony's credentials as a TV commentator, and even took a slap at his 12-year NBA playing career.

"Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball," Thomas said. "I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that.

Balkman, a 6-8 forward from South Carolina, has played well during New York's first three exhibition games. He had 11 points and seven boards in 16 minutes against the Nets in his debut, and had nine points, seven rebounds and two steals in 13 minutes in Tuesday night's exhibition win over the Celtics. His hustle and energy even won over the Madison Square Garden crowd, which gave him a rousing ovation as he left the floor.

With Balkman off to a good start, Thomas felt free to vent some of his pent-up anger.

"This is between Greg and I," Thomas said in a lengthy diatribe about Anthony to the media after the Knicks practice. "The things he said on draft night ... after all the good solid work we had done in the draft ... for him to take that position he took ... I thought he was way way way out of bounds."

Thomas , who was booed by the New York crowd and widely panned by other ESPN commentators on draft night, said he was singling out Anthony because of his status as a former Knicks player. He said he hadn't spoken to Anthony, but would love to in the future.

"I just thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It would be different had he not worn a Knick uniform. But for a guy who claims to have been a Knick, to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night ... I know a Piston would never do that. A Celtic would never do that. A Laker would never do that. It wouldn't happen. It just goes to show you what we're dealing with."

Thomas went on to refer to Anthony several more times during the remainder of the 15-minute session with reporters, sometimes even on unrelated questions.

When asked whether he could see Balkman someday defending LeBron James or Tracy McGrady, Thomas replied, "Wait a minute, hold on now ... you can run him out there but he'll probably get stepped on a little bit ... Unlike Greg Anthony, I do have respect for others."

When asked about the Knicks' dismal season a year ago, and what role all the injuries played, Thomas said, "We all were in a funk last year ... Greg Anthony was in a funk."

Later, when talking about Balkman's ability to handle the ball, a reporter jokingly asked if he had a better handle than Greg Anthony. "Most definitely," Thomas said. "Greg could only go left."

Anthony declined to comment through an ESPN spokesman.

resistanze
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
"Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball," Thomas said. "I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that.

:lmao :lmao Cheap shot, though.

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM
"This is between Greg and I," Thomas said in a lengthy diatribe about Anthony to the media after the Knicks practice.

If Isaiah really feels " it is between himself and Greg" why is he discussing it with the media?

DirkAB
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Fuck Isaiah Thomas.

Dirk41MVP
10-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Fuck Isaiah Thomas.

Fuck anthony too, he got pwned BIG time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 06:29 PM
If it were between Greg and Isiah, shouldn't it be between Greg and Isiah?

And as much as I hate to defend GA, when you become a commentator, ideally, you're supposed to comment without bias.

Ideally.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Fuck anthony too, he got pwned BIG time.

Three pre-season games = getting owned?

Bruno
10-18-2006, 06:32 PM
After Shaq's one about Barry, another stupid comment.

1. Anthony being a good analyst has nothing to do with him being a good player.

2. look at angel_luv post.

3. If you're a GM, you had to accept that analysts criticize your choices.

4. It's only preseason, it's way too soon to judge if balkman was a good draft pick. If Isiah Yhomas is so confident in Balkman, he should have done this kind of comment after his great rookie season.

zero signal
10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
This is the same guy that wanted to fight Bill Simmons last year. :rolleyes

Obstructed_View
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Ronaldo Blackman is playing again?

boutons_
10-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Isaih's been undera lot of pressure and criticism, sound like he'd like to chop up GA and cook him on his stove.

FGMSD, fucked up GM stress disorder. :lol

ATX Spur
10-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Ronaldo Blackman is playing again?

Rolando

san antonio spurs
10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
If it were between Greg and Isiah, shouldn't it be between Greg and Isiah?

And as much as I hate to defend GA, when you become a commentator, ideally, you're supposed to comment without bias.

Ideally.

the point Thomas was making is that GA dissed his choice without knowing the kid. He had never seen the kid nor heard about him.
Isiah could take that if it was made by a scout, not an ignorant GA, who again happened to be a knick.
________
Luscious_Blonde (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Luscious_Blonde/)

Obstructed_View
10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Rolando
Read the first four words of this thread.

z0sa
10-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Renaldo Balkman

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
both should go rent a room

cheguevara
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
poor Isaiah. He's clueless

Isiah Thomas
10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Fuck all you haterz. I am Isiah motherfucking Thomas, How many rings does Anthony have, in fact, how many rings do you have, I'll give you a hint it's less than me.

Shank
10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
The Knicks are what keep the Jets fans entertained while they wait to boo their first round draft pick in April.

mavsfan1000
10-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Fuck all you haterz. I am Isiah motherfucking Thomas, How many rings does Anthony have, in fact, how many rings do you have, I'll give you a hint it's less than me.
The Pistons never had you as a gm to screw it up. :lol

z0sa
10-19-2006, 01:57 PM
i wish the knicks would do good to be honest... they have the stars just not the chemistry... such a waste of so many good players talents.

Solid D
10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
If Isaiah really feels " it is between himself and Greg" why is he discussing it with the media?

Yessss! And it counts!!!!

:tu

Dre_7
10-19-2006, 06:35 PM

And I remember what kind of GM Thomas is. Ill leave it at that

Dirk41MVP
10-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Three pre-season games = getting owned?

WTF are you talking about ?, he got owned with thomas's comments regarding him and his career. It has nothing to do with any preseason game...

Kermit
10-19-2006, 09:27 PM
WTF are you talking about ?, he got owned with thomas's comments regarding him and his career. It has nothing to do with any preseason game...

isaiah as a player>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>greg anthony as a player

second career:

greg as a broadcaster>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>isiah as, well pretty much anything he's put his hands on, including female vice-presidents. allegedly.

and we callz it even, lebowski.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Even though the article specifically says that the reason Isiah made the comments was because Balkman is looking like less of a bust over the three preseason games, you are kind of right -- in a backward sort of way.

Earlier this year, Greg Anthony implied publicly that Balkman was picked where he was because he happens to share an agent with Lebron James, and that Isiah was trying to curry some political favor with LBJ before he re-signed with the Cavs. Mardy Collins has the same agent, too, although he was picked about where he was projected to.

THAT is the reason it's personal. There's no way that Isiah would think that Greg Anthony owes him some sort of loyalty or shouldn't make honest observations just because he was a Knick as a player, especially since Isiah never was. They were never teammates or friends. Everybody thought Balkman was picked too high, as evidenced by the booing by the home town fans when he was picked, and the puzzlement of Balkman's own college coach after the draft.

It seems unlikely, however, that Isiah would have had any opening to take shots at Anthony if Balkman had gone out and played like shit in the first three games.

ATX Spur
10-19-2006, 10:09 PM
If IT is putting all his eggs in Balkman's basket, he's got more troubles than he realizes.

ATX Spur
10-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Read the first four words of this thread.

I missed that. Sorry.

PAWW
10-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I'd think Isiah has more to worry about than what Greg said 4 months ago.
He has a team to coach, manage, fuck up, wait , he already did that, never mind.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2006, 03:31 PM
I missed that. Sorry.
Just makin' sure you knew I was kidding. I'm only sometimes that dumb. :lol

G-Money
10-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Thomas is the shit.