PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Preparing to Make Cuts

ducks
10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Spurs: Preparing to Make Cuts

Oct 17, 2006, 10:08

When it comes to evaluating talent, the Spurs have some decisions to make. With Beno Udrih nursing a sore hamstring, Popovich had to use Brent Barry at the point guard position against the Orlando Magic in their preseason game earlier this week. Popovich has made it known that he is not happy with Udrih's lack of being able to bounce back from injuries, which is likely a primary reason the Spurs looked to move him on numerous occasions this summer.
The good news for the Spurs is that Udrih is expected to be back in uniform and on the court by the end of the week. "I feel much better," Udrih told the San Antonio Express News. "I didn't feel any pain, but still the strength is not where we want it to be. I have still a little bit of fear that I'll do it again, but I think when I'm done in a couple of days, I should be ready to go."
The Spurs currently have 20 players in camp, and have basically six players fighting for one final roster spot. The NBA allows teams to carry 15 players, though only 12 can be on the active roster for any given game.

"It's tough," Popovich said in a recent press conference. "It's the worst part of coaching in the NBA. To have to tell a young man you're going to let him go, you have to be honest and let him know where he stands what his abilities are."

Players that may be cut by the end of week, according to the San Antonio Informer’s Greg Moore, are the following: Jared Reiner, Olu Famutimi, and Jamar Smith. Charles Lee looked good in his eight minutes on the floor against the Magic, while Melvin Sanders could have been a little better in his eleven minutes of work.

The center position continues to be a question mark for the Spurs, who got only two points and five rebounds from Fabricio Oberto at the starting spot against the Magic. Francisco Elson, who has also been mentioned as the possible starter, had two fouls and two turnovers and went 0-for-2 from the field in 17 minutes. Jackie Butler played just eight minutes as the third string center, but was also the most productive. He went 3-of-5 from the field en route to seven points and also had two steals and two rebounds. We should expect to see more of Butler when the Spurs play again on Thursday.

The Spurs didn’t practice on Monday, instead taking an unofficial team outing to visit wounded soldiers at the Brooke Army Medical Center.

And finally - this really isn't sour grapes, just a look at a player we really liked and wish well with his new team. Nazr Mohammed is doing well for the Pistons, even in the reduced minutes that starters tend to get early in preseason. Despite playing under 27 minutes per game Nazr is averaging right at 12 points and five rebounds per game for his new team.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18975.shtml

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Hoopsworld????

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Keep Melzer, BTW.