PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store opening up downtown.

Buddy Holly
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.hipposgroceryanddeli.com

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5494/hipposng2.png

MannyIsGod
10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Interesting. I like.

Buddy Holly
10-18-2006, 10:52 PM
The local developer plans to build 20 of these in the next 5 years in the SA area.

samikeyp
10-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Good for Downtown. :tu

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Interesting concept. Good luck to them.

01Snake
10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
The local developer plans to build 20 of these in the next 5 years in the SA area.

HEB will crush it and any other that tries. :lol

leemajors
10-18-2006, 11:30 PM
HEB will crush it and any other that tries. :lol

i doubt they will try and compete directly with HEB. if they are in a busy downtown area and cater to a niche market with the right mix of higher end at semi-reasonable prices and serve good meals on the go at reasonable prices they don't have to compete directly. in austin if i just want to pop in a place for organic produce, some good reasonably priced steaks and other deli/butcher items, along with a great loaf of french bread or sourdough i go to sun harvest, not HEB. (in austin).

blaze89
10-18-2006, 11:59 PM
About time.

Buddy Holly
10-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Sun Harvest is in SA too, but I think if Hippo's does it right, they could probably compete with Central Market. This may be why HEB finally decided to build more Central Market's in SA.

Buddy Holly
10-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Also, Delivery Market (in Southtown) is opening a second location (5,000 sq. ft.) on Houston St.

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2006, 02:02 AM
watever happen to ppl growin there own produce in the backyard?

leemajors
10-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Sun Harvest is in SA too, but I think if Hippo's does it right, they could probably compete with Central Market. This may be why HEB finally decided to build more Central Market's in SA.

i was just citing them as an example of a smaller grocery not competing directly with a big chain.

johnsmith
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I wonder if the front steps will be flooded with the homeless and extremely poor waiting to catch a bus like the rest of downtown San Antonio is?

SA210
10-19-2006, 08:27 AM
I wonder if the front steps will be flooded with the homeless and extremely poor waiting to catch a bus like the rest of downtown San Antonio is?
Some people can't afford a car like you. What bus stops would you prefer, for them to use? :rolleyes

johnsmith
10-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Some people can't afford a car like you. What bus stops would you prefer, for them to use? :rolleyes

Oh get over yourself would ya? I'm talking about the "thugs", and homeless that dominate the downtown city streets of SA.

tlongII
10-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Wow. San Antonio has a grocery store now.

SA210
10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh get over yourself would ya? I'm talking about the "thugs", and homeless that dominate the downtown city streets of SA.

I wonder if the front steps will be flooded with the homeless and extremely poor waiting to catch a bus...

Yea, sounds like you meant "thugs".

johnsmith
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Yea, sounds like you meant "thugs".

Eh, alright, you got me........so will the streets be lined with the homeless and the worthless?

greywheel
10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
i doubt they will try and compete directly with HEB. if they are in a busy downtown area and cater to a niche market with the right mix of higher end at semi-reasonable prices and serve good meals on the go at reasonable prices they don't have to compete directly. in austin if i just want to pop in a place for organic produce, some good reasonably priced steaks and other deli/butcher items, along with a great loaf of french bread or sourdough i go to sun harvest, not HEB. (in austin).

Sounds like HEB's Central Market stores could compete for the same type of customers. If there was only one store downtown, I don't think HEB would feel threatened but if they tried to open 20 and found success, San Antonio would be seeing a lot more Central Markets.

leemajors
10-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Sounds like HEB's Central Market stores could compete for the same type of customers. If there was only one store downtown, I don't think HEB would feel threatened but if they tried to open 20 and found success, San Antonio would be seeing a lot more Central Markets.

talk about saturating the market!

johnsmith
10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
talk about saturating the market!

I wonder if that would lower the price of beef jerky which in my opinion has sky rocketed to dis proportional costs as of late.

Buddy Holly
10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Eh, alright, you got me........so will the streets be lined with the homeless and the worthless?

I don't know, plan on having a family reunion in the downtown area anytime soon? If no, then your answer is probably not.

xrayzebra
10-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Hell Charles will do like always, cut prices, let the other customers outside the
area support HEB until they go out of business and call the EN and tell them what
a great grocery store he has. And hire some more part time help and screw over
everyone.

johnsmith
10-19-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't know, plan on having a family reunion in the downtown area anytime soon? If no, then your answer is probably not.

I forgot that when I insult a new "yuppie" type of an establishment that Buddy Holly always drops the hammer. Don't worry BH, I'm nearly positive they'll serve latte's there.

Buddy Holly
10-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I forgot that when I insult a new "yuppie" type of an establishment that Buddy Holly always drops the hammer. Don't worry BH, I'm nearly positive they'll serve latte's there.

I could give a big fat rats ass if you're insulting this grocer or anything "yuppie". That's not why I gave the reply to your retarded ass question.

AlamoSpursFan
10-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Hell Charles will do like always, cut prices, let the other customers outside the
area support HEB until they go out of business and call the EN and tell them what
a great grocery store he has. And hire some more part time help and screw over
everyone.

The best thing that ever happened to Floresville was HEB moving in and running Super S out of town.

:lol

And that sangwich on Hippo's site looks mighty tasty...

PakiDan
10-19-2006, 09:54 PM
This is not an interesting 'concept'. It's about time developments like this move into downtown. I agree with johnsmith. Downtown needs more culture and TONS less of the thugs you see holding down EVERY street corner on Commerce. Hippo in, thugs... there is plenty of space on the west side where you belong. The quicker you get there the better.