PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Just the beginning? Popovich protests

Kori Ellis
10-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Buck Harvey: Just the beginning? Popovich protests
Web Posted: 10/31/2004 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA103104.1C.COLharvey.c693ca7.html

San Antonio Express-News

Gregg Popovich and Tony Parker go deeper than anyone imagines. They are father-son, as well as father-friend.

The two got together this fall, for example, to watch a presidential debate.

But that's not why Popovich defended Parker in his contract talks last week. Popovich did it because it was the right thing to do, because it didn't hurt his coaching effectiveness, and because of another relationship.

Popovich and Peter Holt.

Was last week just the beginning?

Parker's exact worth is up for debate, but the details of Holt's decisions are not. Barring a last-day reversal, Holt will turn down Parker's extension proposal with illogical exactness. The difference between the two is approximately $2 million over six years, and NBA teams throw around that much money on postgame shrimp.

When Holt says not a penny more, that's what they are talking about in this business world. Pennies.

Parker's price could come down, too, and it already has. He has gone against the advice of his agent, who would prefer Parker wait a year to test the market. Then, the agent thinks Parker could attract a maximum offer that would run about $86 million under the current collective bargaining agreement.

Agent hooey? A 22-year-old point guard with speed and experience and attitude will likely draw a few bids next summer.

So, when Parker called Popovich, asking him to intervene, Parker did so because he wants to stay in San Antonio. The result was Parker's compromise at about $66 million over six years.

It sounds high. David Robinson got about the same in his second contract. Besides, Denver signed Andre Miller for far less last summer, and Miller and Parker are not far apart as point guards.

Then there are Parker's slumps at the end of the Spurs' seasons. Speedy Claxton was needed to close out the 2003 Finals, and last spring Parker went flat against the Lakers.

Still, it's even easier to make a case for the other side, and Popovich does. The graph of Parker's career shows an arrow with the arc of one of his soft runners.

From a rookie season of remarkable poise to last year's step up, is there any reason to think he won't still get better? His final month before the Lakers series answers that. Night after night, with every skill in place, Parker played as only the best do.

Holt still prefers to wait. He wants to see what the new labor agreement will bring, and he adds this was "the single-hardest decision since I've taken over the team."

It just might be his single-hardest decision. The only other decision he has had to make is whether to laugh out loud at league meetings.

Other owners can't believe his good luck. Holt has championship trophies, a publicly-funded arena, a character-driven roster and a payroll that defies the win-loss column.

No NBA team has had a better dollars-per-win ratio, and Holt has Popovich and R.C. Buford to thank for that. Drafting talent such as Parker and Manu Ginobili is as helpful for the books as it is on the court.

Other owners would see the surplus in these good times as a motivation to invest later. A kind of income averaging. Other owners would also listen to Popovich, who has done well thus far figuring out value.

Holt, instead, wants to be careful that business keeps going the way it has been. And if Parker's price goes up, Holt says that's the risk he's willing to take.

But what's the chance the same owner who blinked at an extra $2 million over six years will embrace an extra $20 million? That means the Spurs would then carry two maximum contracts on the roster at the same time.

Holt's track record for this kind of commitment is less proven than Parker's success on the court. A likely move then: Trade Parker, then replace him with less-costly talent.

If Popovich could win on a budget before, couldn't he again?

Popovich, having found this special core, might have a few things to say about starting over. Popovich found Parker, believed in him, yelled at him, connected with him.

So, if Popovich loses his point guard simply because Holt refuses to pay as other franchises do?

Then this relationship, too, would be deep.

On the bottom.

Kori Ellis
10-31-2004, 01:47 AM
That article was awesome.

timvp
10-31-2004, 01:49 AM
Very well said, Buck.

If Holt doesn't put the money on the table, this is the beginning of the end for the franchise.

It should be the beginning of a string of championship caliber teams.

It's weird that the weak link in the franchise, on and off the court, is the team's owner. I don't know another team north of New Orleans that could say that.

SequSpur
10-31-2004, 01:52 AM
Buck Harvey blows. All print media and news media in San Antonio blows. They all lick Pop's balls. I would love to see someone actually report the news like the way it is. KSAT is about the only sports news that's even close.

Kevin Okeefe was one of the better express news writers. How quickly he exited for writing an article about Pop.

jcrod
10-31-2004, 02:35 AM
:pctoss :cuss :bang :wtf :depressed

I just don't get it, Holt. You freaking.....

pooh
10-31-2004, 04:32 AM
Kevin O' Keefe was one of the better express news writers. How quickly he exited for writing an article about Pop.

Of course...he crossed paths with the all-mighty Pop. It will end one day...

Marcus Bryant
10-31-2004, 06:01 AM
Read it and weep, Spurs fans.

Buck Harvey blows. All print media and news media in San Antonio blows. They all lick Pop's balls. I would love to see someone actually report the news like the way it is. KSAT is about the only sports news that's even close.

What part of the situation did Harvey not touch on?

totalspurshomer
10-31-2004, 09:26 AM

Kevin Okeefe was one of the better express news writers. How quickly he exited for writing an article about Pop.
I was following you up until you praised KSAT as semi-credible and the best in SA. :lol

Greg Simmons is the worst lead local sportscaster I've ever seen. He's nothing but a cheerleader when reporting on local teams and doing interviews. He couldn't be a bigger homer or Spur shill if he wore a Silver Dancer uniform on air. His two assistants are far and away better sports journalists than he is. Even his high school football poll is nothing but shameless attempts at pulling in viewers by listing teams like Sam Houston and others that have no business in Top 12 in SA list. The guy's a joke.

I agree that Okeefe was far and away the best and straightest shooting local sports media source we had. I like alot of Buck's work myself. We all have different tastes and that's a good thing, I guess. It's just that I've never been able to stand Simmons' goofy attempts at journalism.

TwoHandJam
10-31-2004, 10:25 AM
That was a very good read. It does seem unlikely that Holt would pay much more for Parker next year than what he's offering now. Given that other GMs will undoubtedly drive his price up a lot regardless of his performance, it doesn't bode well for our chances of keeping him. Maybe Holt never had any real intentions of being capped out for years. It is frustrating that he should make all the moves to build a dynasty and then decide it's too expensive to add potentially the last piece. I still think his offer is fair but if Parker is willing to compromise, I don't see why they can't work something out.

This blows. :(

SequSpur
10-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Cheerleader = Don Harris

Reporting actual sports news = Greg Simmons.

ducks
10-31-2004, 11:01 AM
spur fans better hope he wants to sell out
when would be the spurs be worth more then now?

maxpower
10-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Since when has holt been responsible for day to day ops? That's what buford is getting paid the GM salary. He is the one name that is missing from these stories. If holt is paying Buford and Pop prior to run the Spurs and to this day have not done much to disappoint, fiscally speaking, why suddenly now, does he find it necessary to become part of the news?

totalspurshomer
10-31-2004, 01:45 PM
Would it be fair to say that the better Beno does this year, the greater the chances of Holt letting Parker walk? IOW, "Pop's already found me another bargain basement priced point guard"?

GoSpurs21
10-31-2004, 01:49 PM
I think the season ticket holders should send letters to the Spurs telling them to take them off the renewable list for next year if Holt doesnt give Parker an extension. I am drafting my letter today.

Solid D
10-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Excellent article. Let's hope, at the end of the day tomorrow, Tony is locked up for 6 years - which by the way will be when Tony is stil only 28 years old.

KSAT is about the only sports news that's even close. Reaching new depths of lunacy.

GrandeDavid
10-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Fans need to send relentless critical messages to the Spurs org. I'm definitely going to ask DF what's up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-31-2004, 05:05 PM
If the Spurs faithful can get their panties in a wad over AJ's #6 being given to some young hotshot Argentine, they should be full tilt over two million for Tha Kid.

Solid D
10-31-2004, 05:38 PM
"Ringggg. Ringgg. Y'hello, Mark Fleischer."

"Mark... Peter Holt".

"Wellll, Peter what's on your mind?"

"Okay....$66Mil but Tony has to wear a "CAT" hat during his interviews".

"We'll draw up the paperwork and be in tomorrow morning, Peter...and Peter...

"Yessss?"

"Thanks for being a reasonable man. San Antonio deserves as much."

It's as simple as that, Peter.