with Duncan playing.

lets hear the excuses

ATX Spur
10-20-2006, 08:21 AM
with Duncan playing 12 minutes.

Asked and answered, troll.

z0sa
10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
with Duncan playing 12 minutes during a preseason game.

answered even more accurately

Jimcs50
10-20-2006, 09:00 AM
It will be a long season, I'm affraid. I think the Spurs' chances of winning the division is small. Pop blew it last year and that was their last chance to win the championship for many years. Look at the way Nazr is playing in Detroit, he is playing great. Had he played against Dallas more than token mins, the Spurs would be going for the 3 peat.

Quote:

with Duncan playing 12 minutes during a preseason game.

Chicago's starters played only 19 mins- 21 mins....so what is your point?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-20-2006, 09:05 AM
with Duncan playing.

lets hear the excuses

Actually...

Spurs shrug off blowout with starting five in tune

Web Posted: 10/20/2006 12:07 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Oh, the joys of preseason basketball. With a little less than two weeks before the start of the season, the Spurs know this much about themselves: If they intend to win another championship, they'll probably need Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

With the Spurs' starters playing only the first quarter, Chicago rolled to a 99-67 victory Thursday night at the AT&T Center. The only people fleeced worse were those among the 16,224 fans in attendance who paid to watch.

Coach Gregg Popovich gave the team's new additions and the players trying to make the roster most of the minutes in the second half. They helped generate 67 points, the second-fewest the Spurs have ever scored in a preseason game.

Aside from struggling to contain Chicago guard Ben Gordon, who scored 11 of his 19 points in the first quarter, the Spurs' starters looked like they have for much of the preseason. In 12 minutes of work, Tim Duncan scored 11 points (making 5 of 6 shots), grabbed four rebounds and rejected Bulls rookie Tyrus Thomas at the rim.

"The first five is fine," Popovich said. "They know what we want to do, and they're getting in shape.

"The first seven or eight guys know exactly what's going on, but we want to find out about eight, nine, 10 and 11 and how that's going to work for us over an 82-game schedule."

Melvin Sanders didn't play because Popovich wanted to take a longer look at the other five players with non-guaranteed contracts. He made his first three cuts after the game, waiving center Jared Reiner and swingmen Rich Melzer and Olu Famutimi.

The Spurs now have 17 players on their roster. They have to cut at least two more before the start of the season.

"We got a good look at some of the guys we might want to keep, or not keep," Popovich said, "so hopefully we got a little bit smarter."

Fabricio Oberto started at center for the fourth consecutive game and had five points, one rebound and a nifty pass to Parker for a reverse layup in eight minutes. Francisco Elson had nine rebounds in 24 minutes, which were nine rebounds more than he had in Saturday's game against Orlando.

While recognizing that Elson is still learning the system, Popovich likes the potential of the team's new 7-foot center.

"He's shown me some things I didn't think he had," Popovich said. "I think he can play one-on-one basketball. I think I can isolate him in certain situations with the right people. I'm not sure if he even believes that yet.

"He's got some really quick feet. He's got a great first step. I think a big, big dose of confidence and understanding the role might make him a much better player than people have seen in the past."

Elson, who had four turnovers Thursday, has yet to show much of his offensive skills. He hopes to use the final three exhibition games to get more acclimated to his new teammates.

"Pop has given me a lot of freedom to do some stuff," Elson said. "But right now I'm just trying to get comfortable playing and doing what I've got to do to make myself feel comfortable on the team.

"I can do that stuff in practice, but I have to carry it over into the game."

Injury update: Beno Udrih (sore right hamstring) and Eric Williams (bruised right Achilles' tendon) didn't play.

Popovich said Williams hopes to play Saturday against Miami. He said Udrih, who has been out the entire preseason, could be cleared for contact early next week.

"He has to pass a fitness test first before he can play," Popovich said.

Notebook: Parker's free-throw shooting has improved enough that he took a technical foul shot in the first quarter even though Ginobili was on the floor. Parker made the free throw, making him 15 for 15 in the preseason. ... The only time the Spurs scored fewer points in a preseason game was when they lost 83-64 to Houston on Oct. 25, 2003.

So will the Mavs not be pussies and raise their preseason championship banner on opening night or are they waiting for the Warriors game for that one, too?

cornbread
10-20-2006, 09:18 AM
with Duncan playing.

lets hear the excuses

And the Mavericks currently have a 1-3 record in the preseason. The worst in the division. Care to elaborate on that?

Save your bullshit for November 2nd when it actually matters.

boutons_
10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
BUMP plonk!

Hey, slomo, any progress on "Add to ignore list" on the pulldown menu? I got a feeling the Mavs trolls are going to be very numerous.

JGrice02
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM

His point is that the outcome of a preseason game that amounts to a battle of the benches (players 5-12 on both teams) isn't exactly relevant to how a team will perform in the regular season or the playoffs.

It's like saying the Chicag Bears were going to suck this season because they lost all their preseason games. Well, when your first team (best players) only see time at the beginning of the game the outcome isn't exactly telling of how the team will perform.

You want to say the Bulls have better backups than the Spurs? Go right ahead. That is about all you can say and even that opinion is reckless at best.

dougp
10-20-2006, 09:50 AM
It will be a long season, I'm affraid. I think the Spurs' chances of winning the division is small. Pop blew it last year and that was their last chance to win the championship for many years. Look at the way Nazr is playing in Detroit, he is playing great. Had he played against Dallas more than token mins, the Spurs would be going for the 3 peat.

You know you can change the team tag under your name, Jim.

nkdlunch
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
:lol Mav fans collective IQ has dropped considerably after BUMP joined. and beleive me, it was damn low already

Phenomanul
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Johnny_Blaze_47]Actually...

Actually...

[QUOTE=Express-News]

... The only time the Spurs scored fewer points in a preseason game was when they lost 83-64 to Houston on Oct. 25, 2003. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Things turned out pretty good that season, didn't they?

Fabbs
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
... The only time the Spurs scored fewer points in a preseason game was when they lost 83-64 to Houston on Oct. 25, 2003.

Game, set and match.

FromWayDowntown
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=Johnny_Blaze_47]Actually...

Actually...

[QUOTE=Express-News]

... The only time the Spurs scored fewer points in a preseason game was when they lost 83-64 to Houston on Oct. 25, 2003. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Things turned out pretty good that season, didn't they?

Yeah, if a 6 game elimination that was hastened by Derek Fisher's shot at .4 in Game 5 is a "pretty good" season.

A preseason game in October 2003 was played after the 2003 Finals and before the 2003-04 season, which led into the 2004 NBA Playoffs, which got us the memory of .4

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Hahahahahahahaa

FWD FTW!

z0sa
10-20-2006, 10:23 AM
.4 was a bullshit shot... everyone knows it. the season wouldve turned out as a repeat if not for it, or at least another trip to the finals.

san antonio spurs
10-20-2006, 10:24 AM
FWD owning as usual

Fabbs
10-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Anyone actually watch the game?

dbestpro
10-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Defintion of a preseason game The Coach"s Encuclopedia":
A scrimmage were effort is minimalized and coaches insert plays to maximize the identity of mistakes. In most cases the running of plays that are difficult to execute are paramount. Plays that you excel should be limited as it serves no purpose for the development of the game unless it is an issue of assessing players who may be cut or on the bubble. Scoring or winning is perhaps the least valued product of a preseason game and only serves value to fans who know no better.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-20-2006, 11:49 AM
"Mavs trolls".
Isn't that redundant?

"Mav fans collective IQ".
Come on.
You know damn good and well mentioning the words "Mavs" and ANYTHING relating to the word "intelligence" in the same breath is completely ludicrous!!!

LEONARD
10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Definitely not a good sign for the Spurs '06-07 season...

Mixability
10-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone actually watch the game?

I was at the game last night.

Bonner looks lost. Tim looked pretty quick in his limited minutes. Fabio had some hustle, hopefully it transfers to the reg season/playoffs.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2006, 12:01 PM
:lmao

FromWayDowntown
10-20-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm just glad to see that Operation Greg Oden is in full effect.

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Definitely not a good sign for the Spurs '06-07 season...
You're right... without major contributions from Melvin Sanders and Rich Melzer, there is no hope. :dramaquee

Louis2
10-20-2006, 12:07 PM
with Duncan playing.

lets hear the excuses

The usual excuse:

"It's a preseason game!!!""

LOL

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm just glad to see that Operation Greg Oden is in full effect.
So what do you think Tim's tragic, season-ending "injury" will be? Knee? Ankle? Stingray attack?

Slomo
10-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Don't joke about stingrays! :spin

Louis2
10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
And the Mavericks currently have a 1-3 record in the preseason. The worst in the division. Care to elaborate on that?

Save your bullshit for November 2nd when it actually matters.

Spurs are 2-0 versus european lowly competition

0-2 versus real NBA competition...

FromWayDowntown
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
So what do you think Tim's tragic, season-ending "injury" will be? Knee? Ankle? Stingray attack?

A strangely lingering and unprecedented case of XBox Elbow.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2006, 12:13 PM
There are no excuses.

This is the worst Spurteam ever.

It will finish 0-87, because preseason counts, but not against Euroteams, unless they have Javtokas on them, and we'd still lose then because he'd hold the entire Spurteam to zero points and no one else on his team would even have to suit up.

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Nobody can argue with such impenetrable logic.

Clearly, the Spurs are the NBA's worst team.

Preseason is the ultimate gauge of team excellence.

FromWayDowntown
10-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Of course it is -- how else is the league going to figure out a team's Q rating for the coming season after all of the changes made during the summer. The preseason is there to ensure that officials know in which direction to tilt calls; that, and to aid them in figuring out ways to ultimately screw over the Mavericks.

Louis2
10-20-2006, 12:23 PM

But its a preseason game!!!---Spurs fan

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Of course it is -- how else is the league going to figure out a team's Q rating for the coming season after all of the changes made during the summer. The preseason is there to ensure that officials know in which direction to tilt calls; that, and to aid them in figuring out ways to ultimately screw over the Mavericks.
They also are testing out the new technology that transmits rays into Yao's toe, causing it to become infected.

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
But its a preseason game!!!---Spurs fan
Uh... and?

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey everybody. Louis2 was playing Rockets vs. Spurs on his PlayStation2 and the Rockets won 121-76.

HA HA HA HA HA

OK, Spurs fans, let's hear the excuses.

"It was a PlayStation game."

Yeah, typical.

Louis2
10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
They will kick your teams ass this weekend...

Oh wait:

"It's a preseason game!!!"----Spurs fan

Or better yet:

"It was a back to back"---Spurs Fan

ponky
10-20-2006, 12:42 PM
BUMP plonk!

Hey, slomo, any progress on "Add to ignore list" on the pulldown menu? I got a feeling the Mavs trolls are going to be very numerous.

This is a dumb thread, excuse my fellow Mavs fan. Spurs won like one pre-season last year and still won the division. I have to say though that Chicago looks pretty good going by their play at the beginning when all starters were on the floor for both teams. Save the smacktalk for Nov. 2. Wow, I just noticed all these emoticons --> :troll

nkdlunch
10-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Oh wait:

Or better yet:

Stop sucking on Yao's toe for a second and face reality. Houston MIGHT win this preseason game but you know damn well come playoff time Houston will be the same underachieving team.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Toronto is 5-0 in the pre-season. I guess by some people's logic, they are bound to win the title :spin

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM

Oh wait:

Or better yet:

I just don't know how I'll recover if the Spurs lose a preseason game to the Rockets. In such a competitive division, the zero games a loss would set the Spurs back could be critical.

z0sa
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
they should just give away the championship during preseason considering how important it is

RandomGuy
10-20-2006, 02:09 PM

:rollin

Don't make me get Nowitski on your ass.. :frying:

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Don't make me get Nowitski on your ass.. :frying:

Wrong smiley.
Oh, wait.
The stationary bike smiley option isn't available, is it?

cornbread
10-20-2006, 03:00 PM

I didn't think about it like that. That sucks for me. But at least you have something to be happy about. This is the first time in a long time that the Rockets have a winning record. Be proud young man. Even if it is the preseason.

But what's your excuse going to be a couple weeks into the season?
"Old Man McGrady's back went out again and doctors still haven't been able to remedy Yao's inflamed vagina."

Here's to another great preseason in Clutch City and to repeating as a non-playoff team!!!

The Great Fantastic
10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm surprised Louis2 has the time to post. You think he'd be knee-deep in pussy! Let's face it, Louis2 has got the goods.

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I didn't think about it like that. That sucks for me. But at least you have something to be happy about. This is the first time in a long time that the Rockets have a winning record. Be proud young man. Even if it is the preseason.

But what's your excuse going to be a couple weeks into the season?
"Old Man McGrady's back went out again and doctors still haven't been able to remedy Yao's inflamed vagina."

Here's to another great preseason in Clutch City and to repeating as a non-playoff team!!!
Look at it this way... if the Rockets beat the Spurs in preseason...

... then even if Yao's toe and McGrady's back conspire to condemn Houston to another year of lottery hell...

... and even if the Spurs go on to win their fourth title in the Duncan era...

... Louis2 will always be able to look back upon that preseason game for bragging rights. The Houston Rockets --> NBA Texas Preseason Champs 2006.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Mavs and Rockets fans don't understand because they would have switched teams by now.

Slomo
10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Mavs and Rockets fans don't understand because they would have switched teams by now.:lol:tu

JGrice02
10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Toronto is 5-0 in the pre-season. I guess by some people's logic, they are bound to win the title :spin

I'm not sure you can classify anything Louis says as "logical." Does he make assinine comments driven by massive jealousy and a pathetic, nay depressing, inferiority complex? No question. But his comments are the antithesis of logical.

Oh and Louis, that means they are the opposite of logical. I don't mean to use big words around you. Then again, it's not like "antithesis" is a big word. But we are all aware that you are mentally challenged so I am willing to go the extra mile to ensure you understand.

Spurs big three, preseason stats (per 35 mpg):

Parker: 27.11 ppg, 8.22 apg, 1.23 spg, 3.8 rpg, 71% shooting
Duncan: 22.2 ppg, 4.49 apg, .81 spg, 10.1 rpg, 1.6 bpg, 68% shooting
Ginobili: 17.2 ppg, 5.98 apg, 1.81 spg, 3.6 rpg, 46% shooting

Talk about some scary-good statistics. Some might argue that these stats mean nothing because its preseason but since preseason "apparently" means everything then it looks like the Spurs may have the best trio of players ever assembled. And oh, BTW, their starting center is putting up some nice numbers too:

Oberto: 12.2 ppg, 2.87 apg, 1.67 spg, 11.1 rpg, 1.11 bpg, 63% shooting

Since we can base everything off the preseason then it looks like the Center position has been settled. Oberto is now the class of the leauge at Center - the perfect compliment to Duncan. These guys don't just look good, they look scary good. Who cares if it is only against preseason competition. Preseason counts baby! And since it counts the Spurs are all but assured of starting four All-Star players this season. I'll take it!

BUMP
10-20-2006, 05:14 PM
here i am again checking up on the thread. i love it. keep em comin :hungry:

Obstructed_View
10-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Why do Mavericks fans mirror the strange fixation on all things Spurs that the team's owner displays?

http://www.moviebadgirls.com/capimage/Single_White_Female_05.JPG
^ Mavs fan

What's next?

http://www.dnevkino.ru/films-foto/films-fatalattraction.jpg

Que Gee
10-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Just because some of us don't suck the team off doesn't mean we aren't Spurs fans some of us are more realistic about what kind of team they have. Being a fan doesn't always mean saying positive things.

I think the team is going to struggle too the chemistry off the bench has been questionable for some time now and Manu seems to have trouble staying healthy and Timmy isn't getting any younger.

Good for you man...I like. I laugh at all the little whiners and babies who start crying everytime people criticize anyone on the Spurs or question Pops decisions here and there. They live in fantasy Utopia land. Its good to bring up points...and the fact of the matter is....The Spurs bench isn't good. Plain and simple, and its a cause for concern.

T Park
10-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Good for you man...I like. I laugh at all the little whiners and babies who start crying everytime people criticize anyone on the Spurs or question Pops decisions here and there. They live in fantasy Utopia land. Its good to bring up points...and the fact of the matter is....The Spurs bench isn't good. Plain and simple, and its a cause for concern

Doomed.

Doomed I tell you.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Doomed.

Doomed I tell you.

Oooooooh, great take.

Que Gee
10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Doomed.

Doomed I tell you.

I'm not saying they aren't in a position to win...but as Kori said there are questions.

No back up point guard, and really no back up for anyone...The Spurs are EXTREMELY dependent on the health of Tim, Manu, Tony. In fact I would say they are probably more dependent on these 3 players than any other team is dependent on any other 3 players because of an "iffy" bench...and thats a big gamble. Doomed? Not yet...but someone goes down, and yep they are doomed.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Is this where we start pretending we could get guys to replace Duncan if he's injured and win championships without him?

wildbill2u
10-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Dirties robbed me said,"Spurs seem to be the typical white American family and they just let someone else raise there kids and if they don't fit in perfectly once they've matured they get disowned."

Gee, my white family has had all sorts of problems with kids getting into trouble and somehow didn't disown them. Please let us know your ethnicity so we can all take generalized and specious potshots at your family tree.