PDA

View Full Version : Most anticipated season of all time?

GrandeDavid
10-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I cannot wait until this marathon regular season gets underway, and while I was excited at potential repeat runs in Octobers past in 2000, 2004 and 2005...I must say that for me, personally, this is the ultimate in eager anticipation for the start of a Spurs season I've ever felt. This season simply cannot start soon enough, although I understand that the more time to allow the Elsons and Butlers to get integrated into the ways of the Spurs, the better.

Its hard to believe that we are actually starting to hear whispers of Tim's downfall from dominance, of Manu's vulnerability to injuries catching up to him, of the Spurs' well-aged bench, and of the evident passing of the conference torch to either Dallas or Phoenix, and all this has got me a little irked.

All excuses aside, the Spurs lost a seven game series to Dallas, so I find it fair enough for the major rags like Sports Illustrated to pick the Mavs finishing ahead of the Spurs. Fair enough, though I disagree.

But what really annoys me are these unfounded predictions that Phoenix somehow surpasses the Spurs in the conference pecking order. Hell, SI has Phoenix beating Miami in the Finals. I didn't realize that Nash is the only athlete in sports history who gets quicker and healthier with age. Guess his back is good to go. And even if Amare Stoudemire is healthy, has someone taught either him or Nash sound defensive principles?

And has everyone outside of Spursdom forgotten what Tim, Manu and Tony did to Steve and Amare when they met in a seven game series two years ago? Exactly. But the Spurs were a different team then...so was Phoenix. But the core remains the same- I'll take Tim, Manu and Tony over Nash, Amare and Marion in a seven game series any day.

So while everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I do respect them all if not of simple respect for freedom of speech, as a Spurs fan I cannot wait to see the Spurs prove the overlookers wrong.

I feel that all the games, especially the matchups against Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, even the Clippers, Cavs and Pistons, will all be potential statement games. No doubt the Spurs should face their stiffest competition from Dallas in...ever, so that in itself is intriguing.

Tim is well-rested and presumably as motivated as can be, and its actually a good thing that Tony is a year older and a year wiser. Manu is still in his twenties and guys have all the motivation in the world.

Yes, I have not doubt that the start to this 2006-07 campaign is my most anticipated ever. How about you?

GrandeDavid
10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I also would say that the start of the 1999-2000 and 2005-2006 campaigns were also tha bomb.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Last year was my most anticipated. Manu just came off a dominant off-season and we just added Finley. I thought a championship was in the bag.

This season is filled more with dread.

T Park
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
For me, this is the lease anticipated.

Thanks to the resident experts, I guess the Spurs will be lucky to go 42 and 40 and barely sneak in or miss the playoffs.

So thanks ot them, and their supposed knowledge, I have no expectations of this team, and expect them to totally fail so there can be more bitching and whining in the offseason.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Actually, what I'm looking forward to is next offseason. With draft picks and a bench to fill, it should be pretty exciting.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
We didn't sign Javtokas, so I gave up.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Thank God. Let the real fans in.

T Park
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
and Javtokas's gf on the side, speaks up.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 01:18 PM
I love how discussion works on Spurstalk. There's this hive mentality. You think the team is old and will fall short of a championship? You're not a fan. You think the wrong player was signed? You must suck big dick.

There's a serious strain of idiocy infecting these boards.

T Park
10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
There's a serious strain of idiocy infecting these boards.

When we find a cure for you, we will let you know.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2006, 01:21 PM
There's a serious strain of idiocy infecting these boards.I agree, it's the kind of thing that makes someone want to pay a 5 and 4 Greek league player $6 million.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree, it's the kind of thing that makes someone want to pay a 5 and 4 Greek league player $6 million.

BINGO!

That's it precisely.

There's no use talking to you people. The problem is it is like you are rods of bung stuck in a barrel of beer, but you won't get out. There would be a lot of pretty good threads on these boards if the usual idiots didn't come on with their usual piss-takes.

Go on. Suck Francisco Elson's dick. Pay him $6M dollars. Too bad you couldn't pay more for him, as planned. You seem to have this idea the more you pay for a player, the more they perform. I dunno. Comes from the same place where having nearly 10 players over 30 isn't something to worry about. (/fake Spurstalk debate tactic)

The rest of us. We want beer. Not to stick up some bunghole.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Too bad you couldn't pay more for him, as planned.As planned? Now you're losing it.
The problem is it is like you are rods of bung stuck in a barrel of beer, but you won't get out.Bung-rod smack? That's new.
Go on. Suck Francisco Elson's dick.Nah, I was never crazy about the guy, but I won't pine away for a 5 and 4 Greek league player two games into the preseason.
You seem to have this idea the more you pay for a player, the more they perform.Not at all. I think at best Elson will play like a $3 million a year big man. I'm glad we are paying big men more what they are worth.
The rest of us. We want beer. Not to stick up some bunghole.You talk about bung and bungholes way too much not to want them. That explains alot.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I only anticipate this season because there are so many question marks in my mind. No real backup point guard. The bigs are a question mark outside of Tim. And the crew of swingmen are old.

But that being said, I'm not a hater of this team and what they can do.

Tim-Many-Tony-Bruce will put the Spurs in the position to win a title. Whether they do it or not depends on health, first and foremost, and new role players doing what they need to do.

It's good to be a Spurs fan.

I'd rather be sitting here thinking that maybe the Spurs "fall off" and win 55 games this season, than be a Sonics fan, whose team went from playoffs to lottery in one season and now might be moving out of their state. Or a Hawks fan, whose front office management is so inept that there's no hope for the future. Or a ...

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Chump: some fresh takes, pal, that's all any of us ask. Bring a fresh take or two.

Kori: I agree completely. Not too long ago, the Spurs could be down 8-10 points in the first half and I felt they could easily come back. Those years seem to be over. Down 10 in the second? As likely as not, it's just "not their day" because there's no coming back.

While I don't think they're in a bad spot, nor will they stop anywhere before the 2nd round of the playoffs, I find myself wondering what happened. What did happen? Why is this team in the shape it's in, where at the start of a game, you feel they either have it or they don't? How can we still have Ginobili and Duncan in their primes, and a budding true star in Parker, and look so decrepit? I feel the front office has done a poor job lately.

However, there is light in next offseason. Some draft picks, some chance of movement. If we don't do anything then, we're surely toast.

There is light during this season: the promise of a trade. Our expiring assets.

Otherwise, it's a season of hunkering down, grinding it out, hoping Ginobili or Duncan don't fall to the injuries they've been prone to lately. It'll take willpower and luck more than talent this year. It happens to every great dynastic-type team - it gets harder and harder to plug the gaps. This is the year it becomes more obvious. Hopefully they can close those gaps, because Duncan's clearly not done yet.

midgetonadonkey
10-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I anticipate every season.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Chump: some fresh takes, pal, that's all any of us ask. Bring a fresh take or two.
What's your fresh take? We're old? We should've signed that 5 and 4 guy? Wait til next summer? Bung-rod?

Get bent.

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Of course this is the most anticipated season of all time!

Only eight months left until the Spurs draft Greg Oden!

Kori Ellis
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I think 55 games is a bit of a reach Kori

Body: I agree its getting harder and harder to fill the holes in the roster. The shortcomings are become more and more apparent

55 games is a reach for them to win this season?

Vegas odds are on 57 (tied with best in the league - Phoenix and Dallas).

Nikos
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Last regular season was kind of boring. Manu was hurt, Tim wasn't the same, and the role players weren't anything special other than Finley hitting a timely shot here and there. Bowen was Bowen. Tony Parker's improvement was a nice thing to see however. There were no true STATEMENT games from the Spurs like in 04-05, or even the 03-04 (where the team was still growing and had a monster end to their season beating LA). Then again the only true statement games were supposed to be Detroit (and they got spanked), and Miami (Shaq was hurt in one of the games, and they weren't that good in the regular season).

I am not nearly as excited as the previous seasons because Duncan, Ginobili, and Bowen are older, and their is no gauruntee they will all be 100% healthy come playoff time. There was none before either, but at least you knew the team was younger and had years ahead of them. I get the feeling this might be Ginobili's last all star calibur year if he can stay healthy (even though I doubt he makes it even if he plays like 04-05).

I am hoping Parker becomes a playoff beast. I am hoping Tim plays like an MVP again in both the regular season AND playoffs.

I guess once the season starts we will see. I am always anxious before the season starts -- but in terms of the Spurs perspective, I don't feel quite as much excitement and energy as the previous seasons (02-03, 03-04, 04-05).

BigVee
10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I wait for every season with anticipation. This is the team I follow, these are the players I love to watch...won't be long now. As for how they will do this year, I have every expectation that they will be right in thick of things again being one of the teams that could win the title. It is hard to win a championship, needing talent and luck as well. Last year things didn't go their way, it's over and gone. I expect a slower start than last year, but think by playoff time they are going to be a very tough out. I agree, it is great to be Spurs fan.

SequSpur
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I always anticipate a spurs season the same. I see this one as alot of question marks with little hope for the reasons that Kori stated.

Just because I am a Spurs doesn't mean that I can't see the reality that in a injury situation to any player, there is no reinforcements worth a shit. Pop and his crew really jacked up this offseason... again.

Solid D
10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
I look forward to every Spurs' season, but I must admit that the inaugural seasons for David Robinson and for Tim Duncan were the most eagerly anticipated for me.

1989-90 stands out because Spurs fans had to wait 2 years for David to serve out his military commitment. Then Bob Bass made the deal sending Cadillac Anderson and Alvin Robertson to Milwaukee for Terry Cummings a month prior to the NBA Draft. Then the Spurs drafted Sean Elliott in June and picked up Mo Cheeks and David Wingate in a trade for Johnny Dawkins and Jay Vincent in August. Willie Anderson was already there waiting on the 4 new starters when training camp started. Add in some hype for Euro star Zarko Paspalj.... Good times.

When Duncan was drafted, people were semi-euphoric with the prospects of a healthy-again David Robinson and new Twin Post, #1 pick Tim Duncan.

This season pales but that's just me.

RandomGuy
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
That is a good point. At some point there will be (gasp) a post-Duncan era Spurs.

I will be first to admit to not being the most studied in basketball stuff, despite my enthusiasm for the Spurs.

So along those lines I will throw out a grenade in a gas tank:

Who would/could/should replace Tim Duncan when he goes for a well-deserved retirement?

(dives for cover)

I guess this may have been talked about elsewhere, but I haven't seen the thread.

T Park
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm willing to bet the 57 predicted wins in some way or another was affected by the high volume of wins they had last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 55 but as far as overall talent and liabilities I don't think they are as good as 55 regular season wins. With that said traditionally the Spurs have solid regular season win totals despite how they fair in the off-season. So who knows but I don't feel like this team is very deep. I also feel like the team defense will be a step slower than last year.

Doomed.

DOOOOOMEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Doomed.

DOOOOOMEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Genius post. Just... genius.

You've convinced all of us.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Who would/could/should replace Tim Duncan when he goes for a well-deserved retirement?

Someone who is around 16 right now.

RandomGuy
10-20-2006, 02:13 PM
TD has for the most part been healthy in his career there is no reason he can't have another 4 or 5 more productive seasons. They have so many other issues to address before even beginning to think about a TD replacement.

That is a good point for the most part, BUT

When you lose so much talent all at once, your chances of replacing that one man with an equivalent are next to zero.

THEREFORE

You have to start planning how to augment the roster to compensate. For example: fewer rebounds would mean that to win games you will have to score more "first time" (read: accurately) baskets or something else entirely.

Building a good team is like chess, you have to be a few moves ahead to be any good.

RandomGuy
10-20-2006, 02:15 PM

Eek. That is less than half my age. :grim:

Well, I guess that means we should start scouting colleges in a couple of years.

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 02:16 PM
That is a good point for the most part, BUT

When you lose so much talent all at once, your chances of replacing that one man with an equivalent are next to zero.

THEREFORE

You have to start planning how to augment the roster to compensate. For example: fewer rebounds would mean that to win games you will have to score more "first time" (read: accurately) baskets or something else entirely.

Building a good team is like chess, you have to be a few moves ahead to be any good.
There is no compensation for losing Tim Duncan. When he retires, the Spurs are going to suck until they get the opportunity to draft another superstar with a high pick.

Oh wait, I forgot, they're doing that this season. Greg Oden, baybee!!!!!

SequSpur
10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Robert Horry is done imo. No backup pg and 3 centers that couldn't start for an NBDL team.

1Parker1
10-20-2006, 02:37 PM
If last season taught me anything, it's that regular season in the basketball rarely matters and that anything is possible in the playoffs. With that said, even if the Spurs don't win at least 55 games (which I think they will, btw), as long as they all manage to come together and click at the right time (Rodeo trip!), then I think the Spurs have as much a chance to win it all as Dallas, Suns, Miami, etc. Plus, with the way things ended last season, I'm excited to see what the Spurs will do this season...though I don't know if it's the most anticipated season of all time. :)

Though, I'll admit it. A lot of teams in the NBA seemed to have gotten better this season...Suns, Mavs, Rockets. Therefore, I think the regular season may be a little tougher than last year.

T Park
10-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Genius post. Just... genius.

You've convinced all of us.

Holds as much water as the regurgitated bull youve been spewing ever since your gay lover Javtokas was told thanks but no thanks.

Move on and get over it.

polandprzem
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM

How old is David Robinson junior?

polandprzem
10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Holds as much water as the regurgitated bull youve been spewing ever since your gay lover Javtokas was told thanks but no thanks.

Move on and get over it.

Where is Penny?

Solid D
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM

Whoever Coach Budenholzer and Sam Presti want to draft.

:smokin

ducks
10-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I am looking forward to this season
I expect another title ran
there are holes but spurs did fill some of those
looking forward to see if they work
duncan is going to play more center now then before

how many teams in west really improved?
dallas not really
houston YES
suns NO diaw will not see the court as much if amare is healthy
lakers some but not enough to challenge spurs
kings NO
gs NO
hornets YES but title threats no
bulls yes but worry about them in the finals not before

Extra Stout
10-20-2006, 03:16 PM

Move on and get over it.
T Park, if the Spurs go like 43-39 but then make it to the Finals, will your head explode?

T Park
10-20-2006, 03:25 PM
:lol

By whatever do you mean Stout, I know of nothing what you say.

To answer the question, yes My head prob would explode to the delight of hundreds here at Spurstalk.

T Park
10-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Where is Penny?

Sorry, maybe something is lost in the translation, but I have no idea what your talking about.

polandprzem
10-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry, maybe something is lost in the translation, but I have no idea what your talking about.

TPark you have such a short memory?
You wanted Penny in spurs uniform :fro

Ps. And stop already with those lost in translation comments :dramaquee

ATX Spur
10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Actually, what I'm looking forward to is next offseason. With draft picks and a bench to fill, it should be pretty exciting.

I don't understand what's supposed to happen next offseason. The Spurs will still have at least $58.7 million in contracts. If they studder this year, it will be to the tune of 48-34, not lottery status. Therefore, no high draft pick. I don't think it will be exciting at all. Plus the bench will be a year older. I'm optimistic, but I doubt glorious things will happen next offseason when they didn't this time around.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Nah, I don't expect glorious things, either, but they do have some pieces to work with. I like having some young players off the bench.

T Park
10-20-2006, 04:57 PM
TPark you have such a short memory?
You wanted Penny in spurs uniform

If he accepted the minimum.

Sure.

Why not. Lets see, Melvin Sanders or Penny Hardaway.

Yeah lets go with Melvin :rolleyes

You can make fun of me all you want with me "wanting" penny. All I said is, if he wanted to come for the minimum, and has a little bit of game left, why not, whats it hurt.

GrandeDavid
10-20-2006, 10:12 PM
All of you have valid opinions and I thank you for your feedback. I think that why I'm so anxious to get this underway is I have a big feeling that Tim is due for a monster year.

GrandeDavid
10-20-2006, 10:20 PM
One more point I should have made clear. I feel that this is a season where Tim's age will be scrutinized. Is he showing his age and wear and tear? Is he on the decline? So I feel that with every big performance he shows, even against teams like the Hawks, I'll be excited. It'd be ooooooooooh so sweet for the Spurs to win the championship for Tim Duncan, the old man with the walking cane. :rolleyes

GrandeDavid
10-20-2006, 10:22 PM
The year has finally arrived where people are starting to doubt Tim's effectiveness. Not everybody, but a few sluggish performances and the whispers will become shouts.

SpursWillOwn
10-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Greg oden would be a bust dude.. big men according to the rules of nba are not designed to be dominant

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 11:40 AM
mine is a tie between Big Dave's first season and the first season of Tim and Dave.

SRJ
10-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I look forward to every season when Tim Duncan's on the roster. I was very excited for the start of the 2004-05 season. I thought they were mad as hell about the end of 2004, and that they had it in them to win 65 games, but those stupid ankle injuries took care of that.

I had to settle for just the championship.