PDA

View Full Version : McInnis and Nets Aren't Agreeing On a Buyout

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-20-2006, 05:38 PM
NETS BLAST
With The Star Ledger
Friday, October 20, 2006

Prodigal Son
There are a few facts that need to be inserted into the Jeff McInnis fiasco right about now, because Steve Kauffman is beginning to sound as desperate and shrill as a GOP incumbent and the Nets have told Lawrence Frank to holster his weapon, no matter how badly he’s getting smeared.

But this is something Kauffman – a good guy, by the way, who has stepped way out of character lately – doesn’t want anyone to talk or write about:

1. His client got fat. You know that already, because we reported back in April that he had gained 18 pounds while (for lack of a better phrase) rehabbing his knee. And since then he has accused the team of rushing him back from the injury, an allegation that is (for lack of a better phrase) pure horsehockey, because the trainer would quit before allowing that to happen. Kauffman’s client didn’t put the time in, period.

2. His client wasn’t exactly the most professional guy that has come through here. He had too many late nights in Manhattan, didn’t always get his rest, didn’t always come to work in peak condition. The Nets would have overlooked that and let him stay with the team, if not for the fact that he often took two teammates on his late-night carousals with him. We won’t mention their names, because they have been set straight -- one was a veteran who should have known better, and the other was a kid who has learned his lesson. Bottom line: Kauffman’s client was a bad influence, period. And when it got back to the coaching staff that he was bad-mouthing the coach to a few teammates, it was time to cut the cord.

3. His client has been offered more than half of the $3.6 million remaining on his contract to get lost. The Nets have put $2 million on the table as their buyout offer, and Kauffman has demanded – try not to do a spit-take – no less than $3.4 million. Do the math: The Nets essentially are willing to give the guy $192,000 for every game he played in New Jersey (that’s $5.4M divided by 28 games). We know this isn’t how the business works, but Kauffman thinks his client deserves roughly what Kevin Garnett gets per game.

4. His client is not worth talking about anymore, because the Nets have made up their minds that he can rot in his living room until his agent comes to his senses and admits what everybody in LA, Portland, and Cleveland already knew: The guy is getting exactly what he deserves. And whether he knows this or not, every other GM in the league thinks his client should take the money and shaddap, because a) nobody is going to trade for him, because they’re running out of teams he hasn't already alienated, and b) doing this public nuisance thing isn’t exactly enhancing his chances of being picked up after the buyout is completed.

Philly tonight. It’s Jason Collins’ turn to sit out, which is good timing: Now he’s admitting that his left foot is sore.

“It’s something I’ve had since the beginning of camp,” he said. “But it’ll be fine, I’ll be fine.”

Another injured big, Josh Boone, says he’s had a setback in his rehab. Not a major one – just some pain, which was anticipated – but perhaps not to this degree.

“Before, if there was any kind of pain, we’d just stop. Now we’re to the point where we can just work through it,” the rook said. “It’s just because I haven’t been using it a lot, and need to get it stronger. That’s the main thing. That’s why I can’t go out here and play right now, because I need to get it stronger. Because if I get hit in it, it’s probably not going to damage the repair, but it’s gonna hurt like hell.”

He’s still hoping to start shooting in a week or two.

Bruno
10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Let's sum up this article : McInnis is a fat locker room cancer who will never get another nba contract and this writer is surprised that he wants almost all his salary as a buyout ?

Hypocrite : there is no reason for a player to accept a small buyout if ha can't get back the money lost by signing with another franchise.