PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Duncan returning to form

Kori Ellis
10-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Spurs' Duncan returning to form

Web Posted: 10/20/2006 10:19 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102106.04C.BKNspurs.duncan.2f61e0c.html

As he has done so many times before, Tony Parker took the ball with the clock ticking down, sped toward the basket, watched the defense draw toward him then rifled a pass into the right corner.

Waiting to catch and shoot, with his feet set perfectly behind the 3-point line, stood ... Tim Duncan?

Never mind that Duncan made only two 3-pointers last season and 23 in his previous nine years combined. He calmly buried the 24-foot shot near the end of Thursday's first quarter as if it were a nightly occurrence.

Only after starting to walk toward the bench did Duncan smile. The beauty of the play was that it was designed.

"I wish it would come more often," Duncan said with a laugh. "I'll get a lucky one here and there and that's about it."

For now, the All-Star 3-point shootout will have to wait. The Spurs will be happy enough if Duncan relocates his touch from midrange.

After losing so much confidence in his jump shot — whether it be off the glass or not — that he had almost completely abandoned it by last season's playoffs, Duncan spent the summer trying to correct his form and regain his rhythm. He has shot 64.7 percent in the team's four exhibition games, but — with the exception of Thursday's 3-pointer — only a few of his attempts have come from the perimeter.

"I'm feeling pretty comfortable right now," Duncan said. "But I haven't gotten many shots in game situations where it's going to be defined at.

"I can stand out here (in practice) and shoot all I want to, but until you get in game situations and actually take those shots, you don't know where you're at."

Feeling comfortable, however, is a good start. The Spurs trace the beginning of Duncan's shooting woes last season to the origin for most of his troubles: his sore right foot.

Limited almost all season by plantar fasciitis, Duncan had difficultly pushing off with his right foot. He averaged 18.4 points and shot 48.4 percent, both career lows. Though he wasn't in as much pain in the playoffs, he was still compensating for the injury.

"He was trying to plant on one foot," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He could still get it done where we just stuck him down on the hole and he horsed it down there and did a great job. But you didn't see him on the perimeter at all having that varied game where he'd be at the elbow, at the wing. He just didn't have the confidence of shooting that shot.

"He's such a team player that he's going to pass it and give it to other people. So if we wanted him to score and have a focal point, we had to get him down on the block."

Duncan worked with Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland this summer to correct the flaws that began to show in his form.

"It's so tough as an individual to recognize it yourself, but people on the outside watching say, 'Yeah, you changed a little bit,'" Duncan said. "You're leaning one way or the other. You're off-balance a little more, which changed the whole physics of your shot.

"Hopefully, I can get a little more balance this year and use that to my advantage."

Last season, Duncan sometimes released his shot from too far over his head instead of from in front of his face. He also now tries to finish each shot on his toes rather than his feet.

The changes have yet to produce favorable results in his much-maligned free-throw stroke; he's 8 of 15 (53.3 percent) from the line in the preseason. But improvement, as was the case with Parker, also requires patience.

Duncan said his right foot, which finally stopped hurting 11/2 months after the season, hasn't bothered him. He also used the summer to strengthen his legs and core.

"His body is just beautiful," Popovich said. "The body fat, his conditioning, his quickness, his speed, his explosiveness.

"He's never been Joe Athlete. He's always been Mr. Fundamental. But he's got some of the athleticism he had when he was younger."

Duncan showed that Thursday on a nifty up-and-under move he used to get past Chicago center Ben Wallace, last season's NBA Defensive Player of the Year. On another possession, he dribbled between his legs while driving from the wing against Wallace.

What has yet to make an appearance is Duncan's signature bank shot.

"He still has it," Parker said. "He just keep it as a secret."

Notebook: Eric Williams, who hasn't played since the team's first exhibition game because of a bruised right Achilles' tendon, is expected to be in uniform tonight against Miami. ... Looking for another reason why the Spurs value Michael Finley so much? The entire team had to run two extra suicide sprints Friday because Jackie Butler didn't finish one in the mandated 18 seconds and Jamar Smith missed a line in another. After practice was over and most of the coaches had left the floor, Finley made Butler and Smith run one on their own as punishment. Finley and the other players cheered on Butler, who finished not only in time, but also a nose ahead of Smith.

Louis2
10-21-2006, 12:16 AM
If returning to form means scoring 10 points a game..

SpursWillOwn
10-21-2006, 01:23 AM
LoL Louis' posts never fail to make me discover the foolishness that exists in this world.. Is Jamar Smith that slow?

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2006, 01:41 AM
when pop starts praisin about duncans bodaye.............

cornbread
10-21-2006, 01:43 AM
If returning to form means scoring 10 points a game..

Damn Louis2. I thought the others were just joking in the other threads but you really must be retarded.

By the way, how are things in Clutch City? You think your team will "return to form" and not make the playoffs again?

Brutalis
10-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Sorry but who the hell is JAMAR SMITH?!

Kori Ellis
10-21-2006, 04:18 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/4inv.jpg

The one on the far right. PF who is in camp that was in the DLeague last year.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-21-2006, 05:22 AM
I really hope Finley gets some more minutes this year

wildbill2u
10-21-2006, 09:50 AM
I've always heard that Butler was a chubby. If that's still true--and I hope it isn't because that means he's working hard on conditioning--then PF Jamar better start looking for a day job.

Zunni
10-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Anyone not on one of the 14 guaranteed contracts should be lining up another gig, NBDL, Europe, whatever.

boutons_
10-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Tim hasn't figured out auto-didactically how to shoot in 13+ years of college+pro ball, so it's great to hear he's finally giving up and getting professional help. Let's see if he can muster the kinesthesia to "get it done".

Phenomanul
10-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Getting Chip Engelland on this team will one day be considered one of the FO's :meeting: best moves ever.

:clap :clap

:danceclub

ChumpDumper
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I've always heard that Butler was a chubby. If that's still true--and I hope it isn't because that means he's working hard on conditioning--then PF Jamar better start looking for a day job.Why is Butler such a mystery to you people? There have been pictures of him playing every preseason game. I hope Butler isn't as lazy as folks who can't bother to click a mouse button a few times.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2006, 01:13 PM
And I wouldn't read to much into that story about Jamar, his athleticism is likely the main reason he's still on the team and Melzer isn't.

polandprzem
10-21-2006, 01:51 PM
This aricle means nothing just because that one if can happen.

Shit - I would love to see Tim in HIS REAL form. And that is 1998-2004. Cause after that he has some injuries and was'tired' after usa commitments.

This years mantra - everything must go right, must go right , must go right, go right, go right...

Dirk41MVP
10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/mutherm/gay_thread.jpg

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:50 PM

The next guy to get cut.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, starting PF for the Toros next month.

joeyjfive
10-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Reading this article got me ready to see Tim Duncan again, The Real Tim Duncan, its really good to hear that hes got his body in great shape maybe he'll dunk a little more this season. And I agree with what Phenomanul said, I hope Chip stays with Spurs for as long as hes breathing, he helped Tony out a whole bunch and hopefully he can do the same for Tim (especially freethrow wise)

ORION
10-23-2006, 09:56 AM
[/QUOTE]After practice was over and most of the coaches had left the floor, Finley made Butler and Smith run one on their own as punishment.[QUOTE]

I would of poured peanuts down their shorts and turned a squirrel loose

Solid D
10-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Today's words for the day: autodidactically and kinesthesia

Obstructed_View
10-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Why is Butler such a mystery to you people? There have been pictures of him playing every preseason game. I hope Butler isn't as lazy as folks who can't bother to click a mouse button a few times.
:lol Fucking gold. :lol

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Why is Butler such a mystery to you people? There have been pictures of him playing every preseason game. I hope Butler isn't as lazy as folks who can't bother to click a mouse button a few times.

more than gold....true. but i expect nothing less from the fat asses in San Antonio.