PDA

View Full Version : Why do we tend to play better when we're trying to get the Championship?

Jonathan
10-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Does anyone know why this always seems to be the case? when we defend the title we always somehow lose. is it bad luck or do we just play at a higher level when we want the Championship?

Sense
10-21-2006, 02:51 AM
What the hell?

A DECENT THREAD BY JONATHAN?

Omg.. check the sky! It's FALLING!

Jonathan
10-21-2006, 02:55 AM
I'm gonna try to gain some cred from you guys i fucked up during the past. i feel sad... and lonely.

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2006, 03:03 AM
very odd indeed, so odd that our championships come in odd years :D, fuck it

chow

Shaolin-Style
10-21-2006, 05:15 AM
complacent I guess.

not a psychology genius but wanting something makes you try harder than defending it, "less" pressure and more motivation.

An nba title is like a woman! Want the hot chick, pursue her like crazy, finally get some, try less hard after you have her, lose her to some guy named Edwardo, want her even more, and sing a rock song while strumming the guitar at 3 in the morning outside of her house, hoping the refs don't come and call a tech on you, finally win her back after pushing Edwardo into the riverwalk as he bumps Mark Cuban and drags him in with him, wherethen Cuban decides the river isn't that bad and creates a water bottling company called "The Taste of San Antonio" where Edwardo now works as a janitor.

i'm tripping off tums.

milkyway21
10-21-2006, 05:19 AM
everybody want to beat the best? the opponents prepare and play better when they play against S.A.?

BTW, where were you? :lol

SpursWillOwn
10-21-2006, 11:23 AM
chow is actually a kind of food wth

Zunni
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
http://sub.allpetsconsidered.com/Primary%20Pages/Rosalinde/Rosa%20Pics/Chow%20Chow.jpg

PM5K
10-21-2006, 11:40 AM
What the hell?

A DECENT THREAD BY JONATHAN?

Omg.. check the sky! It's FALLING!

I wouldn't go that far, I mean we had the best or one of the best records in franchise history, sometimes you just get beaten by a better team, or a team whose coach made better decisions than yours did, just because you loose doesn't mean you didn't try hard, sometimes the other team is just better...

Of course we also had a slew of injuries, but bottom line is I wouldn't really blame our loss on "trying"...

SRJ
10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't really think the Spurs lacked any more desire in 2000, 2004, or 2006.

In 2000, we lacked Tim Duncan. That's kind of hard to deal with, to understate the matter a bit.

In 2004, we lost to a team that beat us 3-1 in the season and finished one game back in the standings. That opponent ended up in the Finals. One of those playoff games came down to a possibly illegal shot, to understate the matter a bit.

In 2006, we lost to a sixty-win team who presents all sorts of matchup problems coached by a guy who knew the Spurs system pretty well. That seven game series was noted for some spotty officiating, to understate the matter a bit.

My conclusion is that the Spurs don't play worse in the repeat attempt.

RC's Boss
10-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Hell has frozen over

BUMP
10-21-2006, 08:18 PM

In 2000, we lacked Tim Duncan. That's kind of hard to deal with, to understate the matter a bit.

In 2004, we lost to a team that beat us 3-1 in the season and finished one game back in the standings. That opponent ended up in the Finals. One of those playoff games came down to a possibly illegal shot, to understate the matter a bit.

In 2006, we lost to a sixty-win team who presents all sorts of matchup problems coached by a guy who knew the Spurs system pretty well. That seven game series was noted for some spotty officiating, to understate the matter a bit.

of course the officiating complaint was coming, but atleast you gave us some credit

Zunni
10-21-2006, 09:04 PM
of course the officiating complaint was coming, but atleast you gave us some credit
No Dallas fans ever complain about officiating.

dirk4mvp
10-21-2006, 11:51 PM

There was almost hope.

dirk4mvp
10-21-2006, 11:52 PM
No Dallas fans ever complain about officiating.

The same can be said about SA fans.

SRJ
10-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Why wouldn't I? You've got a hell of a team.

There's never one reason a team wins or loses. I also didn't care for the way Pop kept the lineup small. And maybe with better officiating, it wouldn't have mattered anyway, but I happened to think - as objectively as I am capable of - that the officiating affected the play to a degree. But that's not the same as saying that officiating handed the Mavericks the series.

ashbeeigh
10-22-2006, 02:54 PM
They lost something and they want to get it back.

I'm sure I could dig up some crazy sports psychology paper if you want a scientific answer, Jonathon. But if you're looking for opinions, that was mine.

dav4463
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM

that is the best, most accurate post i've ever read !