PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Safe in Your Own Home

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Ok, so I need to vent a little cus I am really freaked out and need some advice.

This morning at around 10am I was still asleep and a little hung over when I heard a loud crash come from the living room. Then I heard some rumbling around and another CRASH, only closer and I could her someone rumbling around in my roommates room. I freaked out, cus I knew someone had thudded through the two locked doors. There was a fucking intruder in my house, and I was home all alone. I frantically found my cell phone and called 911. Just when the lady hung up CRASH! on my bedroom door, which thankfully I had locked hte night before going to bed. He was trying to get into my bedroom! I let out a blood-curdling scream and started crying, i was SOOO sure I was going to be raped or murdered or both.

Apparently my scream sent him packing and he ran out. Two minutes later the police showed up and yelled out for me. I unlocked my bedroom door and there they were, guns drawn cus they didnt know if he was still in the house. I have NEVER been so happy to see cops in my life. I was just bawling at that point and shaking. They dusted for fingerprints and left.

MY stepdad is luckily a handyman and brought his drill over and reattached the frame to the front door as best he could so it still locks. But my roommates arent home and every sound is just making me jumpy. One is in Austin for the weekend and the other left early this morning and hasnt returned. Neither one has a cell phone so I find myself not able to leave cus I dont want them to come home to fingerprint dust and fucked up doors and shit all over hte place. But nearly five hours later I am still jumpy in fact I am having trouble even typing this cus my hands are so shaky.

I guess I just need to vent and get some advice, as my family is all up in arms and more paranoid than me and they are making it worse. I need some cool heads here. Has this happened to anyone, or anyone you know? How do you stop jumping at every little noise, like the A/C switching on or a car passing by? This shit is just crazy and I feel nauseous like I need to throw up. I am not looking for attention I guess I just need to hear from peeps who arent gonna make me more jumpy. This is teh scariest shit that has ever happened to me and all of my friends are at work so I can't vent. ARGHHHHHHHHHH.

Worst.Fucking.Day.Ever.

TheSanityAnnex
10-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Holy shit. I'm truly sorry. That sounds like some very, very, scary stuff. Sounds like you need to get a dog and a gun. Hopefully they pick up some fingerprints and are able to can that fucker. Again, sorry to hear this happened.

Marklar MM
10-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Definitely a scary situation for you. I really don't know what to say. It surely is shocking to read that, but I can't even start to fathom how you are feeling. If you are intent on staying there, try and get a family member to stay with you if one isn't already.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 03:01 PM
It takes time my friend. I remember jumping at every little sound when someone threw rocks through our windows back in SA. It wasn't the hell you went through but I get the paranoia.

Thank God you are alright.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Dude, they were here, and they were making more jumpy! I had to send them off. My sister asked me if I wanted her to call in sick and I said no. First she is a single mom and needs he money and second, I am so exhausted I just want to sleep but I can't, I need to wait for roommate no. 1 to come home, he is the homeowner and needs to know. I just hate the waiting. I hope nothing is missing from roommate no. 2's room, I have no idea if there is or not. The guy was apparently going to steal his iron, it was in a box and they found fingerprints on it. Could be all the roommate's but maybe not.

Coincidentally, my sister just called to tell me as she was driving home (she lives like five blocks from me) that she saw the same guy who dusted my house dusting another one and two other evidence units all within blocks of me. I wonder if he hit several houses?

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Damn Mel!! That's crazy! Other than frayed nerves, glad to hear that you are okay!
Initially, EVERYTHING is going to make you jumpy and unsafe after going through something like that. Not much you can really do about that.
My advice to you here is go over to your mom's house and hang out there for a while. Leave a note for your roommates to call you on your cell when they get home and you can tell them then. Go over to a friend's place and hang out there or somewhere else with them. Right now, what you really need to do is get the hell out of there for a while. It sounds to me that the longer you stay there, the more berserk you're going to go.
If you decide to go back home to sleep and you don't anticipate anyone else being home, have a friend stay there with you. You won't get a moment's sleep if you can't relax. Perhaps having a friend or relative there to keep you company will at least start to soothe your jangled nerves.
Again, really sorry to hear that happend to you, Mel.
:depressed

TheSanityAnnex
10-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Mel, do you have any dogs in your place?
I remember reading that a dog barking is the best thing to detract intruders.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:08 PM
There is almost a full bottle of cheap vodka left from my friend's birthday party last night. It's really crappy stuff, and he sent me home with it cus I bought him an expensive bottle last night. It might come in handy! I am thinking of mixing myself a drink. I wonder if this will make things worse though? Alcohol is a depressent after all.

Man, I quit smoking like five years ago and all I want right now is a good long drag. FUCK!

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
I think you have earned it.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Mel, do you have any dogs in your place?
I remember reading that a dog barking is the best thing to detract intruders.
Actually, my roommate has two huge dogs, rotweillers, mean motherfuckers but they are in a fence-like enclosure in the backyard, cus our backyard doesnt have a perimeter fence. The backyard is HUUUGE and they are pretty far back. I never hear them bark, ever. I didnt even know he had them till two weeks after I moved in!

If they were loose in the yard though, I bet I would have heard them. Those are some mean bitches, I wish they could have helped.

As for the gun- I dunno. Not sure its for me, although I have been to a firing range with my brother and I am a pretty good shot. Just don't know, at least if I do decide to get one (though not likekly) there are no kids who live here.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
You can come up here and live with us Mel. We have plenty of room and if anyone gets too close, I'll shoot 'em for ya. :)

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:13 PM
haha, thanks mikey. But this little messican doesn't do snow. I was in New Jersey all last winter and is fucking sucked!

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 03:14 PM
true but hey, with enough alcohol, you can ignore the snow! :)

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Todd, you are probably right about not staying here but right now I don't have anywhere else to go really. Everyone is at work, school or out of town like roommate no. 2. I am about to buy a new car but I dont have one right now, which the cops pointed out was likely the reason he thought the house was empty, there were no cars in teh driveway.

PM5K
10-21-2006, 03:20 PM
What area of town?

Squid
10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
That sucks. I'm am going to go find those fuckers and ink on them!

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:27 PM
What area of town?
Woodlawn Lake area.

I know some of you will scoff and say that's why but quite honestly this area is fairly safe, I used to go speed walking around the lake in the mornings for exercise and the biggest threat was the fucking stray dogs everywhere. I don't think I will be going anymore.

Speaking of dogs, a guy walking his saw the guy pull up to the hosue in a old gmc pickup truck adn leave the engine going. He just figured that he was trying to solicit and kept walking his dog. On his way back he saw the cops and stopped and gave a description. White truck, hispanic dude, bald wearing a white shirt. Not a great description but the truck description helps. I remember hearing it turning the corner as he was screeching off, loud motherfucking engine. So hopefully that and the prints on the doors and box will nab him.

They aslo think he could have been a drug addict cus he rifled through my medicine cabitnet and there was a big finggerprint on that. Nothign is missing cus all I had in there besides toiletries was extra-strength PMS formula midol. I guess it isn't his time of month.

PM5K
10-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Woodlawn Lake area.

I know some of you will scoff and say that's why

LOL

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Fuck you, PM5K. Not everyone can afford to live on teh "safe" northside, nor do they care to. So fuck you.

edit: You didnt have the LOL the first time you posted. Are you joking or what? Either way, dont be an asshole.

Squid
10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
From now on Melmart needs to be strapped at all times.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I guess it isn't his time of month.

At least you can retain a little bit of your sense of humor after all of this!
Good for you!
:spin

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Strapped? What do you mean? I dont think my humorous side is fully intact right now. BLAH!

PM5K
10-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Fuck you, PM5K. Not everyone can afford to live on teh "safe" northside, nor do they care to. So fuck you.

edit: You didnt have the LOL the first time you posted. Are you joking or what? Either way, dont be an asshole.

You said it hun, not me.

At least you don't have to deal with all this Bass Pro Shop traffic....

Seriously though, sorry that happened, I'm a grown man and I'd be scared out of my mind if it was me. My brother used to live in that area before home invasions became popular and he was robbed multiple times, once they came in through the window ac unit, and a few other times they stole things out of the back yard, another time someone was eyeing his house, and another time that was semi funny, my sister in-law saw a guy going to the back to get the mower, he said that the guy that lived there said he could borrow it, she new better and told him some shit and he left.....

Squid
10-21-2006, 03:35 PM
1. strapped

to have a gun on oneself

that nigga is strapped nigga! that nigga'll run up on u with a 9 nigga!

T Park
10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Know exactly how you feel.

I came home one summer for college, and our home that summer while we had been away had been robbed.

The walls spray painted with racist vulgarities and other stuff.

Everything taken.

Windows broken, they tried to even set fire to the place.

But that whole two months i stayed at home was the worst Ive ever slept, and every little creak in the house I thought was someone in the house.

I left lights on, left outside lights on, tvs radios anything to hopefully if anyone was out there, let them know that someone was home.

I totally felt how you felt, and totally sympathize with you.

While alchohal wouldn't normally be the answer, eh, screw it, make some mixed drinks!!

Hope you feel better Mel.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:38 PM
I prolly jumped on you too hastily, PM5K. I apologize. I am still jumpy, I guess literally and figuratively.

And squid- NO. I just dont think I want a gun.

PM5K
10-21-2006, 03:39 PM
I prolly jumped on you too hastily, PM5K. I apologize. I am still jumpy, I guess literally and figuratively.

And squid- NO. I just dont think I want a gun.

I'll come over and make you feel better, if you hear any loud noises it's just me.....

Squid
10-21-2006, 03:40 PM
It was just an idea.

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Fuck, even I can't make fun of someone for this........weird. Well, I don't know what the statistics are regarding people "hitting" the same house more then once, but I would think this dude would have to be a dumb mother fucker to try and come back. I'd just make sure you have someone with you at the house this evening before it gets dark or you sure as hell aren't sleeping tonight. I'd also have said person bring a gun, and if said person doesn't have a gun, run down to Academy, pick up some pepper spray, head to blockbuster and get two really goofy, funny movies. Just my opinion though.

PM5K
10-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Good idea on the pepper spray, it's better than nothing and much cheaper/safer than a gun.....

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh, and did the cops mention if they'd patrol your area a little more frequently this evening? If not, you should call them just as the sun is going on and say that you thought you saw the same truck and ask them to patrol the area this evening more then they normally would.

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Just as the sun is going DOWN, not on. That just doesn't make sense.........come on Johnsmith, you're better then that. Ok Johnsmith, my bad.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, pepper spray does sound good. The cops said he likely won't be back, I think they were trying to make me feel better. They stayed till the evidence unit showed up so I wouldnt be alone.

As for tonight. My mom told me to go stay with her but I would have to sleep in the den, which is where my grandma died a few weeks ago, sitting in her chair. I don't know which would freak me out worse, to be honest. I'll decide soon though. I just wish my roommate would fucking come home. Why doesnt he have a gotdamned cell phone?!!?

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh, and did the cops mention if they'd patrol your area a little more frequently this evening? If not, you should call them just as the sun is going on and say that you thought you saw the same truck and ask them to patrol the area this evening more then they normally would.
would they actually do that? I see them patrolling the lake all the time, but I rarely see them here on my street.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Pepper spray is a really good idea if you don't like the idea of having the gun around.
And maybe just ONE drink. You don't want to get sloshed at the moment. Just one to knock the edge off.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:47 PM
What I REALLY want is a cigarette. And I had a few last night, cus I still have a few when I drink. So there is a half pack in my purse and I really should just break them up and throw them in the garbage. ARGHHH.

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 03:48 PM
would they actually do that? I see them patrolling the lake all the time, but I rarely see them here on my street.

Yeah, they will. God knows they always show up when someone requests them to be in the area because of people speeding, they will patrol the immediate area for something that constitutes an actual crime as well.

Honestly, I'd just make sure you aren't alone in the house tonight, not because he's coming back, but because you'll drive yourself nuts if you don't. You'll have to learn to live in your home again, might as well start immediately.

Oh, and take my advice on the pepper spray and movie night as well.

TheSanityAnnex
10-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Sounds like they found enough evidence to catch this guy. A vehicle description and some prints should help out a lot. Hopefully they get him on multiple burlaries and send his ass to get raped in jail.

I'd say let the dogs in the house for the time being. Had they been inside, no way would that guy have entered your house.

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 03:49 PM
What I REALLY want is a cigarette. And I had a few last night, cus I still have a few when I drink. So there is a half pack in my purse and I really should just break them up and throw them in the garbage. ARGHHH.

You know what would happen if you smoked tonight......you'd smoke tomorrow.......and the next day.........and the next day.......then, d'oh, you smoke again.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks, johnsmith. I will do that, especially considering what my sister said about the other evidence squads within two blocks of me.

As for the dogs- I am scared of the dogs! hahaha, they are mean bitches and I don't want to have anything to do with them. Also, there is a lock on their enclosure cus they actually know how to open it! Clever fucks.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 03:52 PM
You know what would happen if you smoked tonight......you'd smoke tomorrow.......and the next day.........and the next day.......then, d'oh, you smoke again.
I KNOW! Trust me, I know. That's why I should get rid of them. Can I put them down the garbage disposal if I tear off the filters? :lol

Squid
10-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I KNOW! Trust me, I know. That's why I should get rid of them. Can I put them down the garbage disposal if I tear off the filters? :lol

Don't do that to good cigarettes.

PM5K
10-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I think sex would totally get this all off your mind.....

Squid
10-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I agree, I'll be right over.

PM5K
10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I agree, I'll be right over.

I think a three-some would so get this totally totally off your mind.....

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 04:02 PM

You just want to see squid naked.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Ha,ha thanks guys. The banter is helping to keep my mind off of it. You guys rock!

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
You know on second thought- why does PM5K want a threesome with squid? Hoping to cross swords?

Squid
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Melmart is my bitch. You can video tape but you may not participate.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Two arms can't compete with eight plus two tentacles.
Damn you Squid for ruining it for all the rest of us!
:flipoff

PM5K
Melmart is my bitch. You can video tape but you may not participate.

Acceptable...

TheSanityAnnex
You can video tape but you may not participate.Make sure all parties sign a waiver.

johnsmith
10-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Acceptable...

Again, a clever plot to just make sure he sees squid naked.

Squid
10-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Two arms can't compete with eight plus two tentacles.
Damn you Squid for ruining it for all the rest of us!
:flipoff

You forgot to mention my gallons of ink. The ladies love the ink.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 04:09 PM
You forgot to mention my gallons of ink. The ladies love the ink.

Keep adding insult to injury and it's Calimari City for you, buddy!

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 04:13 PM
The mailman rang the doorbell cus I had a package and I nearly hit the fucking roof. grrrrr. Gonna take some time I guess.

Good news is I won a prize in some pepsi sweepstakes and I got a whole shitload of free stuff. Some xbox crap that I will give to my brother the video game junky and an itunes certificate, a free 12pack, a little disposable camera, an autographed pic of some nascar dude and other crap I havent looked through yet. Things are looking up, I got an xbox backpack, y'all! :lol

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I also went and told my neighbors. I didnt want to petrify them but I thought it best, especially since we had a description. Never hurts to be on the lookout, right? Was I wrong? In retrospect I wonder if I shouldnt have done this.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
The mailman rang the doorbell cus I had a package and I nearly hit the fucking roof. grrrrr. Gonna take some time I guess.

Good news is I won a prize in some pepsi sweepstakes and I got a whole shitload of free stuff. Some xbox crap that I will give to my brother the video game junky and an itunes certificate, a free 12pack, a little disposable camera, an autographed pic of some nascar dude and other crap I havent looked through yet. Things are looking up, I got an xbox backpack, y'all! :lol

You get all that PLUS Squid is coming by to see you?!?!?!
Talk about making the best out of a bad situation!

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Why do you question having told them?

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Why do you question having told them?
duuuude.. I am questioing EVERYTHING right now. Plus, the two ladies across the street, they got all paranoid and one looked like she was going to start crying. They asked if I wanted company and I said no- I don't need those dramatic little viejitas here, I would rather be alone.

BTW, my beanpole of a 16yr old brother is coming over to have dinner and cheer me up and he is staying here with me tonight. Not the safest choice but hell- anyone will make me feel better and he is like the ONLY family member who isn't all telenovela dramatic and won't make me more jumpy.

missmyzte
10-21-2006, 04:45 PM
The house of the neighbor of a friend of mine just got broken into, they took everything. Within 24 hours, my friend's father had the entire house equipped with a new security system and cameras all around the house with infared sensors.

So sorry Mel, the feeling of intrusion in your home, especially with you still in there, is beyond frightening.

1Parker1
10-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Wow, Melmart, that must have been terrifying. It's bad enough to be home alone after watching some scary movie, but to have experienced an intrusion like that first-hand would have be jumpy too. I'm glad your beapole of a brother is there with you....it helps to have at least someone there.

I'd make sure, once your roommates come back about installing extra locks on the door for protection or some kind of security system.

IceColdBrewski
10-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Speaking from personal experience, owning a gun is the only way to go if you want to feel 99% at ease. Especially when you're confident in your ability to use it. Pepper spray isn't going to do much good when you're facing an intruder who has a gun. My advice would be to get a handgun and practice with it at a shooting range as much as you can until you're comfortable with it. It's a great way to blow off steam after a tough day, and you'll be prepared to use it if/when it ever comes to that. It's better to have it and not need it, as opposed to needing it and not having it.

TheSanityAnnex
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Speaking from personal experience, owning a gun is the only way to go if you want to feel 99% at ease. Especially when you're confident in your ability to use it. Pepper spray isn't going to do much good when you're facing an intruder who has a gun. My advice would be to get a handgun and practice with it at a shooting range as much as you can until you're comfortable with it. It's a great way to blow off steam after a tough day, and you'll be prepared to use it if/when it ever comes to that. It's better to have it and not need it, as opposed to needing it and not having it.

I agree, especially since there are no kids in the house. Handgun in the dresser and shotgun on the wall.

Old School Chic
10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Mel,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you today. I'm just glad that you are ok. I've never been through something like that, but I'm sure I would be freaked out if it did happen. I know It's hard but try not to think about it and enjoy your evening with your little brother.
My thoughts and prayers are with you...

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the well-wishes guys!

My roommate, the homeowner finally came home. He was like a deer in headlights at first, then pissed off. He has hit the ground running, we are getting some new doors on the front and back that are like those burgler bars or whatever they are called, so there will basically be two doors (we will REALLY look west side now! :lol), plus we are gonna get an alarm system. I am also going to become acquainted with his mean-ass dogs, he says if they meet me with him and know we are friends they will not hurt me and in fact protect me.

My hands aren't shaking anymore. Knowing how concerned he is and having someone else in the house has helped tremendously. I might go and have that vodka now, I have orange juice to mix it with. Screwdriver, here I come!

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 07:04 PM
That's great news, Mel.
Awesome to hear your roommate is being as proactive as you say he is being.
Now you can at least calm down some and try to regain some peace of mind.
Enjoy that drink!

01Snake
10-21-2006, 07:09 PM
At least you don't have to deal with all this Bass Pro Shop traffic....

Thats some crazy shit isn't it? :lol

IceColdBrewski
10-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Handgun in the dresser and shotgun on the wall.

And a high powered hunting rifle in the gun cabinet just in case the dirtbag is lucky enough to make it out the door and down the street. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/e/sniper.gif

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 08:02 PM
My roommate just told me he is considering a shotgun now. He is scared and really pissed off. I am just not sure for me though.

Also, he expressed concerns about his rights with an intruder should he kill him. I honestly myself don't know, anyone here well-versed in Texas law? And I don't mean "i heard" cus that isn't always true. I am sure some here have probably taken a proper handgun course or something where law was covered. Anyone that can give me the scoop would be well appreciated.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 08:06 PM
I was under the impression that it was legal in the state of Texas to be able to carry a handgun.
Has this changed in recent years or something?

Spam
10-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Crime is in every community. Yes, even the northside of town.

IceColdBrewski
10-21-2006, 08:50 PM
double post.

IceColdBrewski
10-21-2006, 08:51 PM
My roommate just told me he is considering a shotgun now. He is scared and really pissed off. I am just not sure for me though.

Can't say I'd be so indecisive if I were in your shoes. But then again, I have a wife and kids. Even if that weren't the case, the thought of being raped and murdered (if I were female) would definitely be enough to make me do whatever it takes to make sure that didn't happen. I'd blast a hole through anyone who kicked my door in, but that's just me.

ZStomp
10-21-2006, 08:57 PM
That's why I have three guns here. All ready to go.

ZStomp
10-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Crime is in every community. Yes, even the northside of town.

That is correct.

I knew someone would see the light.

I like how people feel safe just cuz they live in a safe neighbor hood. I do agree that some neighborhoods are better than others... but nobody or no part of town is immune from crime.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 09:08 PM
To those who tried to send me PMs, I apologize that my box was full, I have cleared some out and please go ahead and send them to me. Sorry! But thanks for all the good stuff.

CubanMustGo
10-21-2006, 09:10 PM
In Texas, defense of one's property is generally accepted as a valid reason for blasting the hell out of someone breaking into your house.

Sorry you're having to deal with this crap, Mel.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Can't say I'd be so indecisive if I were in your shoes. But then again, I have a wife and kids. Even if that weren't the case, the thought of being raped and murdered (if I were female) would definitely be enough to make me do whatever it takes to make sure that didn't happen. I'd blast a hole through anyone who kicked my door in, but that's just me.
See, here is the thing.. I HAVE been through it and still not sure I want a gun. My grandpa was SAPD for over 30 years and he said if you aren't sure you want a gun, then you have no business having one.

The thing is, I just wonder if I would use it or be too scared to, what if I froze, what if I killed the motherfucker and later just couldn't deal with that. Killing someone is a big fucking deal, I don't care if he banged your door down.

Thing is, I have been so wishy washy today wtih my emotions, I wonder if things will change tomorrow.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Also, he expressed concerns about his rights with an intruder should he kill him

If someone is in your home, you've got the right to defend yourself with deadly force. Just know that if it comes to it, when the cops show up, tell them you felt your life was in danger, and that's it.

Oh, and practice with the weapon. If someone does break in, you're going to have little time to react, so you better be well practiced.

LuvBones
10-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Damn, I want a gun now. If that happened to me, I'd feel defenseless without one.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Mel, you live kinda close to us. We're just north of downtown in Monte Vista, so kinda on the other side of I10.

Anyhow, I advocate some form of home defense. Preferably a gun, but I think even some sort of stun gun would be better. Yeah, its a big step having a gun around but if someone ever breaks into my house I want them to leave in a body bag. I'm Mr. Anti Death Penalty and give criminals a second chance, but I strongly believe that if someone makes the decision to step foot in a house they don't belong in they lose the right to safety because the home owners safety trumps that by far. You're not going to break into my house while I'm there and leave alive unless my aim really sucks.

Otherwise keep a bottle of beer by your side at all times so that you can break it and use in hand to hand combat. It'll be like a bar fight right in your own home!

01Snake
10-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm Mr. Anti Death Penalty and give criminals a second chance, but I strongly believe that if someone makes the decision to step foot in a house they don't belong in they lose the right to safety because the home owners safety trumps that by far. You're not going to break into my house while I'm there and leave alive unless my aim really sucks.

WTF? :lol Weird POV.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 11:08 PM
If nothing else, at least keep a baseball bat within reach of your bed.
It may not be the best weapon of choice, but at least it's a weapon.

Melmart1
10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I dunno guys. Guns kinda scare me. I am already scared enough, I don't see how bringing something into the house that scares me is going to help me feel less scared. I appreciate your POVs but I am just not sure about getting a gun. I don't know. I just don't know.

Marklar MM
10-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Get a laser pointer...burn out his eyes.

Pistons < Spurs
10-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Don't get a gun if you're not comfortable with it.

And I personaly don't think right now is really the time for you to make that decision anyways. Don't get one simply as a reactionary measure.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-21-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm Mr. Anti Death Penalty and give criminals a second chance, but I strongly believe that if someone makes the decision to step foot in a house they don't belong in they lose the right to safety because the home owners safety trumps that by far. You're not going to break into my house while I'm there and leave alive unless my aim really sucks.

WTF? Weird POV.

Not really.
What Manny is saying here is that you're in his house without an invitation, than any and all rights you have as a human being have gone right down the crapper. It's not like he's Mr. N.R.A. Wack Job waving his gun around daring and waiting for an undesirable to come in. He's merely, again, stating the obvious: what's his is his, and if you want to challenge that, chances are you're going to be leaving the premises with a few more holes in your body than you arrived with. He's saying what anyone else would in that spot.

RashoFan
10-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Damn Girl, I am so sorry to hear what happened. That is definately some scary shit. I am glad that you are physically okay, Know that we are here if you need any of us for anything. I used to live by Woodlawn Lake, on Cincinatti. Wasn't a bad area when I was there. I will say a prayer for you, I hope you can get some rest.

Kori Ellis
10-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Sorry Mel. That's horrible.

If you are very hesitant/scared about getting a gun, then you shouldn't get a gun. But if you are home alone a lot, then get a stun gun, pepper spray or whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Also, go take a self defense class for women. You'd be surprised how much damage you can do with your keys or the spike of a high heel shoe into someone's eye.

Hopefully they catch the intruder and you feel safer. It's not likely that something will ever happen to you like this again. One person who might be able to help you on the board regarding your feelings is phyzik. He shot and killed intruder(s) in his home. There's info about it in this thread http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47824&highlight=killed but maybe you could PM him. I don't think anyone can relate to you who hasn't gone thru a similar experience.

I don't know what else to say but a self defense class and maybe a counselor to talk to regarding your fears might help.

If all else fails, pack your bags and come live in our spare bedroom :)

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 12:08 AM
I never thought of the self-defense course, Kori. Great idea! I am definitely planning on getting pepper spray and I will look into a stun gun. Those don't scare me like a real gun would.

And actually, in my panic when he threw his body against my bedroom door, I did look around for something to hurt him with and thought about my high heels, then remembered that I had a metal nail file in a drawer by my bed. I was hunched on the floor and about to open the drawer when he banged on it and when I screamed he left, which was good cus I was shaking so bad I am not sure if I could have found that file, much less grip it. In fact when I was dialing 911 I was shaking so bad I wasn't sure if I would get the numbers right. The dialpad on a cell phone gets AWFULLY small at a time like that.

I will keep the spare bedroom in mind. Be warned, I snore! Though I am told its only bad when I have been drinking. :lol

Kori Ellis
10-22-2006, 12:11 AM
The police department can probably direct you to a self-defense course specifically for women who have been in similar (or worse) circumstances.

MannyIsGod
10-22-2006, 12:13 AM
I agree that if you aren't comfortable with a gun then it probably isn't the best option. I do however think you could get comfortable with one if you took some classes with one.

I say all that and I don't even own a gun at this time.

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Actually when I lived in Virginia, it was in a pretty ghetto area and my brother was concerned for me so he gave me a gun. That is why I was at the range with him a few times, practicing. I even learned how to clean it. But I realized that I just wasnt comfortable with it, I hated having it and I would walk into my room and climb into bed and I would always think- there is a gun in my nightstand. It was in the bottom drawer and I kept my uhhh.. condoms in the top drawer. I remember my bf at the time opened the second one on accident once and kinda lost the mood once :lol

I then switched roommates so I could live in a house, and my roommate had p/t custody of her three girls, so I got rid of it. No way I could have one in the house w/ kids and I just hated the damn thing anyways. I really thought today would change my mind, but so far I really don't think it has.

MannyIsGod
10-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Your boyfriend at the tmie went soft at the sight of a gun? Man, even THEN you were the man in the relationship.

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 12:45 AM
:flipoff, Manny.

:lol

ShoogarBear
10-22-2006, 01:30 AM

Good news is I won a prize in some pepsi sweepstakes and I got a whole shitload of free stuff. Some xbox crap that I will give to my brother the video game junky and an itunes certificate, a free 12pack, a little disposable camera, an autographed pic of some nascar dude and other crap I havent looked through yet. Things are looking up, I got an xbox backpack, y'all! :lolWell now you finally got some stuff worth stealing.

Sorry about your day. This would never have happened if you stayed up in NJ with your sugar daddy.

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm glad you're okay Mel. I am so sorry about what happened.

You are very brave to still be staying there. I don't know if I could have so quickly.

If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask.

Slomo
10-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Mel,

If you have reservation about guns don't get one.

Getting used to a gun on a shooting range and using it in a stressful situation (big understatement when you think your life is in danger) is a HUGE difference. It takes confidence, cold blood and total commitment, so if you have reservations about it to start with, it's going to be difficult to use it effectively - or, God forbid, not to hurt yourselves and/or other household members.
Stun gun (and there are some pretty powerful models out there) can be more efficient, because use non-lethal force is easier to accept by the human mind. I would also suggest that you train with whatever protection device you decide to go with. Kori's advice about self defense classes is a very good one. Even if you never use any of the moves you'll learn it will help you to get in the right frame of mind and help you to be less emotional if you are ever in a similar situation.

If all else fails, pack your bags and come live in our spare bedroom :)Hey!!!!!

spurschick
10-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Holy shit! That's just nuts. Good to hear that you're okay. The guy must have been strung out - most burglars don't want anyone home if all they want is to steal stuff.

In terms of feeling safe, do you have perimeter lights around the house? I'm thinking of getting ones for the back that come on if someone comes within a few feet of the house. I also keep shell casings in a few of the windows. I don't have a gun, but the casings may give them the impression that I do and may make them think twice.

kingsfan
10-22-2006, 09:42 AM
That's awful mel, I hope you got some sleep last night. I would agree about the gun, if you don't feel comfortable then don't get one. Making friends with the dogs is a great idea though, they will protect you.
I know the laws are different in every state and I'm not in Texas but the same thing happened to a friend of mine while her boyfriend was there. To make a long story short, her bf beat the crap out of the burglar with a bat I think it was, and fucked him up pretty bad. The bf ended up getting 10 years for assault and was ordered to pay all the criminal's medical expenses. They're appealing it but it doesn't look good. Apparantly protecting yourself and your home is a crime which is totally fucked.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiflipoff.gif

Brodels
10-22-2006, 09:57 AM
It sounds like you're not ready for a gun, and that's O.K. Don't do anything that will make you more uncomfortable.

For what it's worth, I used to keep a double-blade hatchet (small, about 1.5 foot handle) right next to my bed when I lived in Chicago, Boston, and Portland Maine. My apartment in Portland was a little ghetto-ish and someone tried to break into another apartment in the building I lived in. I always thought that it would at least give me the advantage in any hand-to-hand combat, and it I was stealthy enough, I could discover him before he discovered me. Maybe I've been watching too much television.

I do have hunting rifles, but I don't keep them where I can easily get to them. By the time I fidgeted with a gun, I figure I could find my hatchet and start swinging it around or bail out the window. I don't use the hatchet now because I live in Northern Maine, but if I go back to the city, I'll probably keep it next to my bed again.

ploto
10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
It is estimated that there are guns in half of all of the homes in the United States. Although most of these guns are purchased for safety reasons, a firearm at home is much more likely to kill or injure a family member or friend than an intruder.

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 11:02 AM
I slept off and on last night, I am still a little sleepy but doing good. I made myelf some pancakes like I do every Sunday just so I could try to get back to my routine, sorta.

Shoogs- you are wrong. The AF base my brother was on, houses got broken into all the time. Punk kids mostly and a lot of officer's kids rebelling. Of course, they prolly aren't all that dangerous, but still. They prolly aren't strung out on drugs either, my roommate and I are fairly convinced he was a crackhead, cus he broke two of the doors down just with one crack against it, and he took the time to rifle through my medcine cabinet and the kitchen pantry before he went to the bedrooms. And he left roomie no. 1's camera on the washing machine, but he was going to take roomie no. 2's iron?! It's not a great camera but surely worth more than an iron. Fucking moron!

Anyhoo, I am feeling better though not great, my shoulders and neck are beyond stiff and I still feel like crying. But I am not as jumpy as yesterday. Yesterday, I poured some soda in a glass with ice and you know how the ice settle and clinks against the glass? THAT sound made me jump. Ice cubes in a glass, people! How fucking stupid is that? So not as jumpy as yesterday for sure. I poured some soda in a glass to be sure! HAHA! I know I was expecting the sound so that's why I didn't jump, but shit- it made me feel better so even if it's dumb I guess that is good to feel better, right?

gameFACE
10-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Melissa! I'm glad to hear you are doing okay today. And no it's not dumb to feel better that way. That's just you able to convince yourself that that particular sound doesn't bother you. Hopefully it will extend to other things as well as time goes on. It may take a while to get over. And more importantly LET yourself be bothered by it because it was a horrifying experience. But if you find yourself continually dwelling there you might seek some help. Whatever you're comfortable with. Stay close to family and friends.

Oh yeah, and make sure your next bf can keep his gun properly loaded whan you need it............. :eyebrows

mavs>spurs2
10-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it's legal in Texas to use lethal force against an intruder.....and you might consider house training for those rottweilers. Trust me, nobody is getting through both of them. Sucks to hear this because there have been 4 robberies in the past month near where I live, I can understand how you feel.

TDMVPDPOY
10-22-2006, 01:44 PM
they can even sue you for negligence even for robbing your place trespassing, if you premises is not safe area :( lame laws, so much for citizens arrest.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Anymore, the criminals have more rights than the victims.
Pathetic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
they can even sue you for negligence even for robbing your place trespassing, if you premises is not safe area lame laws, so much for citizens arrest.

Not sure where you live, but here in Texas your personal property rights trump all. About the only thing that can get you in trouble in Texas as far as an intruder and a lawsuit goes is if they turn to run and you shoot them in the back.

Mel - if you're not comfortable with a gun, get a stun gun, mace, something....

Clandestino
10-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Anymore, the criminals have more rights than the victims.
Pathetic.

that's the liberals for you

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Holy shit, that's some crazy shit. I would have freaked out if I were in that situation, cus you never know what the fuck the robbers have. But it would help to leave the rotweilers in the house when you guys aren't around, so if anyone breaks in, they probably won't be staying too long.

MannyIsGod
10-22-2006, 06:09 PM
It is estimated that there are guns in half of all of the homes in the United States. Although most of these guns are purchased for safety reasons, a firearm at home is much more likely to kill or injure a family member or friend than an intruder.Citation please. I call bullshit.

ZStomp
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Citation please. I call bullshit.

I tend to agree with Ploto on this one.

Statistics show that your are more likely to get killed by a loved one or someone you know than a stranger.

So it makes sense. How often does an intruder get into your house?

How often do family members get so pissed off to the level of killing at loved ones/someone they know?

more Violence happens this way....unfortunately

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I sorta knew this might turn into a gun debate and that's fine. But Clandestino, keep that bullshit in the Political Forum. I don't have the patience or peace of mind to deal with that horseshit right now. Fuck you and your politics.

MannyIsGod
10-22-2006, 06:53 PM

Statistics show that your are more likely to get killed by a loved one or someone you know than a stranger.

How often do family members get so pissed off to the level of killing at loved ones/someone they know?

more Violence happens this way....unfortunatelyThen someone should be able to provide a citation for this statistic/observation.

MannyIsGod
10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
This if from the NRA's website, therefore it is not completely objective yet I'll post it here either way.

FABLE I: A gun in the home makes the home less safe.

Firearms are used three to five times more often to stop crimes than to commit them,1 and accidents with firearms are at an all-time recorded low.2 In spite of this, anti-firearm activists insist that the very act of keeping a firearm in the home puts family members at risk, often claiming that a gun in the home is "43 times" more likely to be used to kill a family member than an intruder, based upon a study by anti-gun researchers of firearm-related deaths in homes in King County (Seattle), Washington.3 Although Arthur Kellermann and Donald Reay originally warned that their study was of a single non-representative county and noted that they failed to consider protective uses of firearms that did not result in criminals being killed, anti-gun groups and activists use the "43 times" claim without explaining the limitations of the study or how the ratio was derived.

To produce the misleading ratio from the study, the only defensive or protective uses of firearms that were counted were those in which criminals were killed by would-be crime victims. This is the most serious of the study's flaws, since fatal shootings of criminals occur in only a fraction of 1% of protective firearm uses nationwide.4 Survey research by award-winning Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, has shown that firearms are used for protection as many as 2.5 million times annually.5

It should come as no surprise that Kleck's findings are reflexively dismissed by "gun control" groups, but a leading anti-gun criminologist was honest enough to acknowledge their validity. "I am as strong a gun-control advocate as can be found among the criminologists in this country," wrote the late Marvin E. Wolfgang. "I would eliminate all guns from the civilian population and maybe even from the police. . . . What troubles me is the article by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz. The reason I am troubled is that they have provided an almost clear-cut case of methodologically sound research in support of something I have theoretically opposed for years, namely, the use of a gun in defense against a criminal perpetrator. . . . I do not like their conclusions that having a gun can be useful, but I cannot fault their methodology."6

While the "43 times" claim is commonly used to suggest that murders and accidents are likely to occur with guns kept at home, suicides accounted for 37 of every 43 firearm-related deaths in the King County study. Nationwide, 58% of firearm-related deaths are suicides,7 a problem which is not solved by gun laws aimed at denying firearms to criminals. "Gun control" advocates would have the public believe that armed citizens often accidentally kill family members, mistaking them for criminals. But such incidents constitute less than 2% of fatal firearms accidents, or about one for every 90,000 defensive gun uses.8

In spite of the demonstrated flaws in his research, Kellermann continued to promote the idea that a gun is inherently dangerous to own. In 1993, he and a number of colleagues presented a study that claimed to show that a home with a gun was much more likely to experience a homicide.9

This study, too, was seriously flawed. Kellermann studied only homes where homicides had taken place--ignoring the millions of homes with firearms where no harm is done--and used a control group unrepresentative of American households. By looking only at homes where homicides had occurred and failing to control for more pertinent variables, such as prior criminal record or histories of violence, Kellermann et al. skewed the results of this study. After reviewing the study, Prof. Kleck noted that Kellermann's methodology is analogous to proving that since diabetics are much more likely to possess insulin than non-diabetics, possession of insulin is a risk factor for diabetes. Even Dr. Kellermann admitted, "It is possible that reverse causation accounted for some of the association we observed between gun ownership and homicide." Northwestern University Law Professor Daniel D. Polsby went further, writing, "Indeed the point is stronger than that: 'reverse causation' may account for most of the association between gun ownership and homicide. Kellermann's data simply do not allow one to draw any conclusion."10

ZStomp
10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Then someone should be able to provide a citation for this statistic/observation.

You know I don't have any literature/citation to post. I'm making the observation based on what I learned in school and my three years on the evidence unit.

And I wasn't just talking about guns per se- I am talking about violence in a general.

You are more likely to have violence committed against you by someone you know than by a stranger.

ShoogarBear
10-22-2006, 08:09 PM
This if from the NRA's website, therefore it is not completely objective yet I'll post it here either way.I'm not interested in the whole gun debate, but 2.5 million uses of protection guns for a year is an outrageous number that doesn't hold up to even the most minimal scrutiny.

It brings to mind the previous hysterical statistics of 1 million missing children per year. As was pointed out (and I think a Denver newspaper won a Pulitizer for proving), there were about 60,000 deaths total in Vietnam, and almost everyone who was alive then either personally knew someone who had died or knew someone who had lost somebody. So when they started tossing that million per year number around, it means that everyone would have to know about several missing children, when in reality most people didn't know any. That 2.5 million figure reeks the same way.

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I call bullshit on the estimation that there are guns in half of all homes in the United States. I don't know why, I just don't think that that many households have guns. I think the guns are more concentrated in places, a house with 1 gun is more likely to have more than 1, etc.

What does everyone else think? Do that many households have guns?

Silver21_Black20
10-22-2006, 08:22 PM
You know I don't have any literature/citation to post. I'm making the observation based on what I learned in school and my three years on the evidence unit.

And I wasn't just talking about guns per se- I am talking about violence in a general.

You are more likely to have violence committed against you by someone you know than by a stranger.

:tu

I learned in basic Criminal Justice courses that violence commited against you are more likely to be by someone you know.

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 08:29 PM
I want eveyone who is reading this post that I just typed to post if or if not they have a gun.

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Roomie no. 2 just came home and luckily he had his laptop with him. The only thing he says is missing is a pair of scissors and about 50 cents in pennies, which explains the change I heard through the wall while I was calling 911. The thought that the guy had scissors makes me THAT much more relieved that he didnt get through my bedroom door. The lock and knob are a little hard to turn so I will likely replace them.

Crazy, he got through the deadbolt on teh front with one thud, my roommates with one thud- but one thud against mine and he didnt get through. Someone was watching over me, I feel twice as lucky now. It wasnt my time to go I guess and so now you bitches are stuck with me! :lol

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 08:33 PM
I want eveyone who is reading this post that I just typed to post if or if not they have a gun.
Uh.. no gun here. Obviously.

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Roomie no. 2 just came home and luckily he had his laptop with him. The only thing he says is missing is a pair of scissors and about 50 cents in pennies, which explains the change I heard through the wall while I was calling 911. The thought that the guy had scissors makes me THAT much more relieved that he didnt get through my bedroom door. The lock and knob are a little hard to turn so I will likely replace them.

Crazy, he got through the deadbolt on teh front with one thud, my roommates with one thud- but one thud against mine and he didnt get through. Someone was watching over me, I feel twice as lucky now. It wasnt my time to go I guess and so now you bitches are stuck with me! :lol
And you're laughing about it?

How do you know that fucker isn't coming back? I'd buy a gun.

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 08:40 PM

I have to laugh, or I will cry again. It's a defense mechanism and I bet most people here got it, El Denso.

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Not likely that the guy is going to come back.

And I have no gun.

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 08:42 PM
And I don't know that he isn't coming back, but I can't let some crackhead run me out of my house. But thanks for reminding me that he could be back, asswipe. Like I didn't know!

ShoogarBear
10-22-2006, 08:45 PM
This is my rifle, this is my gun . . .

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 08:46 PM
No, I definitely got it Melmart, and I understand you don't want to be reminded by this shit or what could happen. I'm just saying that if I were in your position, I'd do anything that would help to avoid this or anything like it in the future. I never said move to another neighborhood or anything like that, but maybe leaving the rotweiler's inside would be a good idea.

Jekka
10-22-2006, 08:49 PM

What a fabulous thing to tell someone who just suffered a trauma, as if she hasn't been thinking about that already :rolleyes

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 08:54 PM
What a fabulous thing to tell someone who just suffered a trauma, as if she hasn't been thinking about that already :rolleyes
I know, but I hope she does something about it. I'm not saying it will happen again, but any little thing you can do to prevent something like this is worth it. Don't you?

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I know, but I hope she does something about it. I'm not saying it will happen again, but any little thing you can do to prevent something like this is worth it. Don't you?
Dude, I don't get your logic AT ALL. I know he could come back. Don't you fucking think I know this!?!?!?! Don't you think I have what could happen if he came back passing through my head a million times already. I think about it. I think about it ALL THE FUCKING TIME in the last two days. But I also have to be strong and try not to think about it so much so I can move on. Monday means work work work and life goes on. I can't sit here planning all day for something that likely will never happen. That's just insane.

And my roommate and I are taking measures already, as I already said in this thread. So I don't get why you feel the need to think that your posts are helping anything.

ZStomp
10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I have 3 guns.

braeden0613
10-22-2006, 09:11 PM
if you need it, take a gun safety class then buy a gun

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
I have 3 guns.
Says the guy who also said:

more Violence happens this way....unfortunately

ALVAREZ6
10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
if you need it, take a gun safety class then buy a gun
Preferebly an AK

ZStomp
10-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Says the guy who also said:

What's your point?

I don't get it.

I am in control of me and my guns.

If not, I don't think I would have been given a gun for my job.

Clandestino
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I sorta knew this might turn into a gun debate and that's fine. But Clandestino, keep that bullshit in the Political Forum. I don't have the patience or peace of mind to deal with that horseshit right now. Fuck you and your politics.

i merely responded to others postings about legalities... i didn't start it.. anyway, go fuck yourself

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 09:25 PM
i merely responded to others postings about legalities... i didn't start it.. anyway, go fuck yourself
NOBODY mentioned liberals, conservatives etc. YOU did cus that's all you seem to do, is find an opening to bash a liberal. YOU go fuck yourself, asshole. This is not a political debate.

Clandestino
10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
:lol rights of criminals.. guns in homes... hmmm... seems political to me...

Melmart1
10-22-2006, 09:29 PM
.. and yet nobody bashed a political part or affiliation until YOU came in...

Clandestino
10-22-2006, 09:30 PM
i just made a comment... don't get your panties in a wad...

Slomo
10-23-2006, 01:20 AM

more Violence happens this way....unfortunatelySounds logical to me, plus let's not forget the other way people get killed by guns: accidents. A lot (most?) gun owner do not handle/treat/store their weapons correctly. And even those who do will have the occasional accident.

So I tend to agree with Ploto on this one.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-23-2006, 01:24 AM
When they install your alarm, make sure they leave the audible alarm on. When I activated my alarm, they disabled the speaker in the attic. Not sure why. I thought it was a mistake until I found out that they disabled a friend's speaker also. Otherwise, without an audible alarm to act as a deterrent, it's not going to help you the first few minutes if there is someone in the house.

The burglar bars will help a lot so take some comfort in that. If someone comes into your neighborhood looking to break into a house, they'll choose the easiest mark. In this case, that is not your place.

And if you do at some point decide to consider a gun (as unlikely as it is), consider the same thing regarding audible deterrents. First, you can announce you have a gun (although this might prompt a criminal to get ready to use his if he has one). And next or instead, you can put a shot into a wall or floor. If the guy is smart, he runs. If he is an idiot and still comes in after you, then pulling the trigger once already in a panic situation makes it less likely you'll freeze up in case you have to pull the trigger a second time if they try to come into your room.

ploto
10-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Any stats you find will be biased- of course- but here goes:

Numerous surveys over the last 40+ years have found that almost half of all households have at least one gun owner.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=126

In the New England Journal of Medicine article "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home" by authors Arthur L. Kellermann, Frederick P. Rivara, Norman B. Rushforth, Joyce G. Banton, Donald T. Reay, Jerry T. Francisco, Ana B. Locci, Janice Prodzinski, Bela B. Hackman, and Grant Somes, the conclusions of the published article are

"Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance." [11]
http://www.answers.com/topic/gun-politics-in-the-united-states

For every time a gun is used in a "home" in a legally-justifiable shooting [note that every self-defense is legally justifiable] there are 22 criminal, unintentional, and suicide-related shootings. [Kellermann AL, Somes G, Rivara FP, et al. "Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home." The Journal of Trauma. 1998;45:263-267]

The presence of a gun in the "home" triples the risk of homicide in the "home". [Kellermann, AL, Rivara, FP, Rushforth NB, et al. "Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in the home." N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1084-1091.]

The presence of a gun in the "home" increases the risk of suicide fivefold.[Kellermann, AL Rivara FP, Somes G, et al. "Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership." N Engl J Med. 1992;327:467-472.]

JoeChalupa
10-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. I've thought about having a gun but with two young daughters in the house..no way. I know there are safety courses and all that but I've decided against it. I do have my trusty combat knife at the ready though. I know it can't match up against an intruder with a gun but it is my weapon of choice.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Damn! Sorry to get here late, but I'm glad you're okay Mel. This guy clearly wasn't a criminal mastermind so take comfort in the fact that it's just a matter of time before either the police or simple Darwinism catches up with him. Sounds like you're taking all the right steps to make your place safer. Things will get back to normal for you, it's just going to take a little time.

If it'll make you feel any better I'll beat down any bald, hispanic males I see today. This guy probably isn't hiding out in Houston but why take chances?

MannyIsGod
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Any stats you find will be biased- of course- but here goes:

Numerous surveys over the last 40+ years have found that almost half of all households have at least one gun owner.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=126

In the New England Journal of Medicine article "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home" by authors Arthur L. Kellermann, Frederick P. Rivara, Norman B. Rushforth, Joyce G. Banton, Donald T. Reay, Jerry T. Francisco, Ana B. Locci, Janice Prodzinski, Bela B. Hackman, and Grant Somes, the conclusions of the published article are

"Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance." [11]
http://www.answers.com/topic/gun-politics-in-the-united-states

For every time a gun is used in a "home" in a legally-justifiable shooting [note that every self-defense is legally justifiable] there are 22 criminal, unintentional, and suicide-related shootings. [Kellermann AL, Somes G, Rivara FP, et al. "Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home." The Journal of Trauma. 1998;45:263-267]

The presence of a gun in the "home" triples the risk of homicide in the "home". [Kellermann, AL, Rivara, FP, Rushforth NB, et al. "Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in the home." N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1084-1091.]

The presence of a gun in the "home" increases the risk of suicide fivefold.[Kellermann, AL Rivara FP, Somes G, et al. "Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership." N Engl J Med. 1992;327:467-472.]Thank you for responding Ploto. Thats pretty interesting evidence. The latter 2 are not suprising to me, because introducing a lethal weapon will lead to further death but I believe in those 2 stories there are further circumstances that make them extraordinary especialy when dealing with the suicide stats.

The first study really peaks my curiosity though. I wonder how the study was conducted. I may look for more studies that look at the situation because thats not what I expected at all.