View Full Version : No Talks of Extension For Pietrus

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-21-2006, 06:19 PM
San Francisco Chronicle

Pietrus is 'happiest guy in NBA'
Two of the reasons: Nelson's style and a French connection
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, October 21, 2006
(10-21) 04:00 PDT Los Angeles -- As soon as Mickael Pietrus heard about Boris Diaw's contract extension, he pulled out his Sidekick and sent his fellow Frenchman a congratulatory text message.

Diaw, after all, was the proud owner of a new five-year deal worth a reported $45 million, and he and Pietrus have shared a basketball history nearly as rich.

They were teammates for four years for France's Pau Orthez before jumping to the NBA together in 2003. Both were first-round picks and both still play for the French national team.

But while Pietrus came out as the more heralded of the two -- he was drafted 11th overall and 10 spots ahead of Diaw -- it's the Phoenix guard/forward/center whose soaring NBA stock culminated in Thursday's lucrative deal.

Pietrus has until Oct. 30 to work out his own extension with the Warriors, but that scenario is shaky at best. Despite being labeled by coach Don Nelson as one of the top players in training camp, neither side says it is anticipating a new agreement.

"There have been no discussions concerning an extension for M.P.," Pietrus' agent, Herb Rudoy said via e-mail this week. "It is really up to the Warriors, and M.P. is willing to wait until next summer."

So is Warriors vice-president Chris Mullin, who until this point has awarded every first-rounder a hefty new extension. First came Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy, then Mike Dunleavy. If Pietrus does not continue the trend, then he will become a restricted free agent at season's end.

So far, only a few of Pietrus' 2003 draft mates have extended their rookie contracts. Top picks LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh all signed maximum contracts earlier this summer. The Suns have locked in Diaw and Leandro Barbosa (five years, $33 million), and the Mavericks just signed Josh Howard -- the final first-round pick -- to a four-year, $40 million deal.

It's Diaw, though, whose case is most similar to Pietrus. Diaw started about one-third of his games for the Hawks during his first two seasons, but didn't flourish until landing in Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni's small ball system.

Diaw played every position from point guard to center and averaged 13.3 points, 6.9 rebounds and 6.2 assists last year. In one season, he went from being a bit player to the NBA's Most Improved Player.

"They put him in a situation that he can be successful and then after that, he just played his game," Pietrus said. "When you have a point guard like Steve Nash and a great coach that understands the European style like coach D'Antoni, he knows how to put Boris in a good situation and he did.

"That's why I keep telling everybody that I'm the happiest guy in the NBA right now."

To be clear, Pietrus was referring only to his defined role in Nelson's system -- where he has won the starting small forward spot -- not any anticipated payday.

"I'm not putting this on my mind, saying 'Yeah, I can get the same contract if I can do the same thing,' '' he said. "I'm just trying to play and enjoy my life and it'll happen when it happens."

Still, Mullin believes Pietrus can have a similar boom under Nelson's system. Mullin also knows the market for swingmen will be a little more crowded next summer. A good season for Pietrus could mean the difference between being a mid-level player (worth about $5.2 million this year) and a $6 or $7 million man.

"It is a risk they apparently want to take," Rudoy said. "Mike expects to have a very good season playing for Don Nelson and looks forward to the team doing very well."

Added Mullin: "Everything's a risk."

Briefly: The Warriors improved to 5-0 in the preseason with Friday's 116-106 win over the Clippers at Staples Center. Dajuan Wagner had 23 points and Monta Ellis added 10 assists. ... Baron Davis sat out again with his sore thigh, while Andris Biedrins was given the day off.

E-mail Janny Hu at [email protected].

AFBlue
10-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Under Nellie, Pietrus will continue to go away from his strength (defense), and move towards his weakness (consistent shooting). He'll undoubtedly struggle forcing the Warriors to think about getting something for him in return and unloading one of their useless players with unjustified contracts.

I just hope the Spurs are there to pick up the pieces (probably not). Barry for Pietrus & Cabarkapa....

yavozerb
10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Under Nellie, Pietrus will continue to go away from his strength (defense), and move towards his weakness (consistent shooting). He'll undoubtedly struggle forcing the Warriors to think about getting something for him in return and unloading one of their useless players with unjustified contracts.

I just hope the Spurs are there to pick up the pieces (probably not). Barry for Pietrus & Cabarkapa....
or Barry and Williams for Pietrus...Man, I think the spurs would jump at either of these trades and barry would actually help the warriors with his shooting and passing

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2006, 09:57 AM
pietrus doesnt even have a jumpshot....he be good for bowens container

AFBlue
10-23-2006, 11:07 AM
or Barry and Williams for Pietrus...Man, I think the spurs would jump at either of these trades and barry would actually help the warriors with his shooting and passing

Barry and Williams wouldn't work because they're owed a collective $9+ million dollars next year and Pietrus is only making about $3 mil. The Hornets last year had a straight up trade w/ Barry b/c they were under the salary cap, but the Warriors are well over so the salaries have to match.

AFBlue
10-23-2006, 11:09 AM
pietrus doesnt even have a jumpshot....he be good for bowens container

He's got a good stroke and potential to develop a shot, but he's been too much flash and not enough substance. He needs a coach to reign him in and get him back to the basic fundamentals that made him a lottery pick.

He's not an offensive juggernaut, but he's not inept either.