PDA

View Full Version : Cardiac Aggies win close one again

Jimcs50
10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Bryant blocks PAT, seals Aggies' overtime victory

By ROBERT CESSNA
Eagle Sports Writer

STILLWATER, Okla. - For the third straight week, the Aggies found a way to reach out and grab victory.

This time, defensive tackle Red Bryant used his big right arm to block an extra-point kick in overtime to give Texas A&M a 34-33 victory over the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Saturday night.

The kick by Jason Ricks appeared low, and the 6-foot-5, 324-pound Bryant knifed in and batted the ball down.

"We were getting a good push all night but just kept coming up a little bit short," Bryant said. "We lined up side-by-side to get good penetration. Chris Harrington got a good push, and I just stuck my right arm up. I felt a sharp pain in my arm, and I was excited."

So were his teammates, who rushed the field at Boone Pickens Stadium where 43,006 had gathered on the Cowboys' homecoming night.

Bryant's play punctuated a strong finish by the Aggies (7-1, 3-1), who needed a miraculous 65-yard drive in the closing minutes of regulation to force overtime.

OSU had itself in position to win on Dantrell Savage's 60-yard touchdown run with 3 minutes, 24 seconds left. Savage, the team's No. 3 tailback, pounded his way to 134 yards on 13 carries.

The unlikely Savage complemented backup quarterback Zac Robinson, who was pressed into action when Bobby Reid suffered a mild concussion and had to leave the game in the second quarter.

Robinson led OSU to 27 second-half and overtime points, and his most impressive drive gave the Cowboys their 27-20 lead at the bleakest of times for the Cowboys.

Thanks to a 54-yard punt by Justin Brantly, A&M's defense had OSU backed up to its own 12 facing third-and-seven and heading into a 19 mph wind.

Robinson hooked up with Adarius Bowman for an 11-yard pass and a first down. Robinson then went around right end for 13 yards, his best run of the night, and two plays later, Savage scored.

A&M responded with an 11-play drive capped by a 2-yard touchdown pass from Stephen McGee to tight end Joey Thomas with 3 seconds left.

McGee ran forward in the pocket to make the linebacker covering Thomas come up. McGee then flipped the ball to the open Thomas.

But it wasn't even the most spectacular play on the drive.

With 1:30 left, running back Jorvorskie Lane one-handed a pass behind him and rambled for a 17-yard play on fourth-and-13 from the Aggie 32.

"We had a chance to win the game when we had them in fourth-and-long," OSU head coach Mike Gundy said. "We could have finished it off right there."

Instead, Lane kept it alive, and McGee finished the drive.

Sure-handed Chad Schroeder's 15-yard catch on third-and-7 moved A&M to the OSU 29. McGee threw to Earvin Taylor for 14 yards, then to Schroeder for 10 more, with a personal foul penalty taking it to the 2.

In overtime, A&M needed only three plays to score against a reeling OSU defense. Lane finished the short drive with a 1-yard run, his second touchdown run of the night.

OSU needed one more play to cover the 25 yards. The touchdown came on a 15-yard pass from Robinson to Bowman.

Bryant's block then sealed the win for A&M. It was the second botched extra-point try by OSU, which had a bad snap after its first touchdown.

"We gave up two points on special teams," Gundy said. "There is the difference in the game."

The Aggies, meanwhile, earned their third straight victory thanks to a fourth-quarter comeback.

"This game was very typical of these young men," A&M head coach Dennis Franchione said. "They will never give up. We found a way to make one more play than Oklahoma State, and that is based on spirit and character."

A&M used a pair of long drives in the fourth quarter to beat Kansas, 21-18, two weeks ago in Lawrence, Kan. Last week at Kyle Field, the Aggie defense kept Missouri from scoring in the last quarter for a 25-19 victory.

On Saturday, the Aggies appeared headed to another last-second finish from the outset.

OSU (4-3, 1-2), surprisingly leaned on its defense for a 6-3 first quarter lead after both teams scored on their first possessions. The difference for OSU was a 41-yard kickoff return by Grant Jones, which led to a 1-yard Mike Hamilton touchdown run. Reid accounted for 45 of the last 49 yards of the drive as he showed uncanny running ability and a strong arm.

A&M's Martellus Bennett had the lone score in the second quarter, a 10-yard touchdown catch.

Each team threw costly interceptions on first down in the quarter - A&M at the OSU 20 and OSU at the A&M 31.

Robinson, a redshirt freshman who had attempted

Jimcs50
10-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Withe the Texas Tech loss 4 wks ago in last seconds, the Aggies seem to be in a desperate situation each game. They could be 8-0 this year or 3-5 (7-1), as they have either won 4 games in last seconds(Army, Kansas, Missouri and Ok St) and lost 1 game (TT).

Fran seems to have himself a team that has a lot of heart and with that trait, they have a chance to win the Big 12(seriously).

The game at Baylor will be a tough matchup next week, as they have played pretty well at times and are themselves 3-1 in the conference.

If A&M can beat Baylor, they get Oklahoma the following week at Kyle field, which I think they will win, then they have Nebraska come to town, also a winable game, before the Tecas game in Austin, where anything can happen when they play.

Go Aggies!!!

:elephant

beachbarbie948
10-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Kudos to the players,
but booooo to Fran.

the "rebuilder"
hahahaha. not.

midgetonadonkey
10-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Gig'em Ags! Whoop!!

Jimcs50
10-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I made a bet with a friend of mine today that the Aggies would win at least 1 game of their remaining 4.( at Baylor, Oklahoma, Nebraska and at UT ) I gave him 10-1 odds on $50.00 so if Aggies lose out, I owe him $500.

I think the Aggies will win next week at Baylor, but you never know..............

It will suck if I have to pay 500 bucks. :)

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I think they will get Baylor and could get OU or Nebraska as well. Texas in Austin will be tough...not impossible but tough. If that game were at Kyle Field...I would really worry.

Mr Dio
10-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I made a bet with a friend of mine today that the Aggies would win at least 1 game of their remaining 4.( at Baylor, Oklahoma, Nebraska and at UT ) I gave him 10-1 odds on $50.00 so if Aggies lose out, I owe him $500.

Hey Jim, would you wanna bet on that with anyone else?
I'd even pay up front if you PM me your PayPal address.
Doesn't have to be $50 but it could be.

Jimcs50
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Jim, would you wanna bet on that with anyone else?
I'd even pay up front if you PM me your PayPal address.
Doesn't have to be $50 but it could be.

You think the Ags will lose out too???

Am I missing something?

Do I need to worry?

Mr Dio
10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
You think the Ags will lose out too???

Am I missing something?

Do I need to worry?

OK, everyone knows I'm not an ag fan BUT, I do feel that if I was allowed to bet on each game without any spread ags would lose each game S/U.
ags have a good chance to beat ou and Neb @ KF but I feel no matter how close the games ags can't get up for teams like they do for UT and lately Tx Tech.
Playing @ Baylor & @ UT I think those are losses. No question IMO.

You have a good chance to win that bet with the ou Neb games but I like those odds a lot!
I love them actually.

Horry For 3!
10-23-2006, 03:32 PM

I think the Aggies will win next week at Baylor, but you never know..............

It will suck if I have to pay 500 bucks. :)
They have a chance against Baylor and Oklahoma.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Fran seems to have himself a team that has a lot of heart

If A&M can beat Baylor

Mr Dio
10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Jim, what do ya think?
Yea or Nay?

Man, seen quite a few seemingly unbiased opinions online & looks like ags are gonna win this one per majority of the opinions I've seen.

Jimcs50
10-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I think Ags will win by 6-8 pts

Mr Dio
10-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Did you want to do that thing for the ags' next 4 games @ 10-1?

Mr Dio
10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Guess not.

Jimcs50
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Did you want to do that thing for the ags' next 4 games @ 10-1?

No, I should only give 8-1 odds anyway...because the Texas loss is a given.

If A&M wins this weekend, I think they will win 3 of last 4, if they lose, they might lose all 4.

:depressed

Mr Dio
10-27-2006, 11:16 AM
OK, let's do an 8-1 for what, $10, $20, $25, $50?
We can change the amount higher or lower if you'd like.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
No, I should only give 8-1 odds anyway...because the Texas loss is a given.

If A&M wins this weekend, I think they will win 3 of last 4, if they lose, they might lose all 4.

:depressed

it's funny cuz a&m should have like 4 total losses already

its possible they can squeak by every remaining game on their schedule...possible, but totally improbable.

Jimcs50
10-28-2006, 09:45 PM

31-21

:smokin

Jimcs50
10-28-2006, 09:46 PM

You would have lost, as my buddy did.

:lol

I am $50 richer.

willie
10-28-2006, 11:20 PM

good call. dumbass.

Mr Dio
10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
You would have lost, as my buddy did.

:lol

I am $50 richer.

Indeed.
You could've had more.
Congrats sir.

Mr Dio
10-29-2006, 03:38 PM
good call. dumbass.

Yeah, I guess you're right 100% of the time? :lol

UT won & that is what matters...................and what seems to burn you. :lol

mookie2001
10-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I hope aTm cracks the top 10

Mr Dio
10-29-2006, 05:05 PM
LouisV leapfrogged UT while USC dropped behind UT where SC should be.