PDA

View Full Version : Nets Waive Jay Williams

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Nets Waive Jay Williams
Posted Oct 22 2006 12:23PM

East Rutherford, N.J., Oct. 22 – The New Jersey Nets have requested waivers on guard Jay Williams, Nets President Rod Thorn announced today.

Williams, who signed with the Nets on September 28, 2006, appeared in five preseason games, averaging 3.8 ppg in 13.2 minutes per contest.

-NBA.com

JMarkJohns
10-22-2006, 03:26 PM
He sucked when he was healthy. Now he's playin' on a leg that was nearly amputated, lending itself to turning his biggest strength (athleticism) into yet another weakness (joining, lack of vision, lack of shooting ability).

JMarkJohns
10-22-2006, 03:42 PM
I just realized how much of a jerk I sounded like. Perhaps I'm still a bit bitter thanks to the 2001 Championship game vs. Arizona, but I'd like to add that all the credit in the world is due to Williams for even making a preseason roster. He shouldn't have ever walked normally again from early reports, yet he worked his ass off and reclaimed at least some of his previous ability.

He was always an overrated player, even at his best in college, but that should have absolutely zero bearing on his fight right now and I tip my cap for his perserverence as better players with lesser heart have never gotten as far as he has in this comeback attempt.

Mr. Body
10-22-2006, 08:08 PM
He was a very good player when healthy, contra JMarkJohns, but I was watching him against Philadelphia the other night. He had trouble getting it past pressure and wasn't showing much. It's really too bad.

JMarkJohns
10-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Very good player? Hardly.. Better than what I give him credit for? Probable.

Granted it was his rookie year, but for such a celebrated talent entering the League, he was supposed to be ready to play and averages of 39% FG, 32% 3FG and 64% FT to go along with a 2/1 assist/turnover ratio for a PG or SG is piss-poor.

Best thing he ever had was a first step and that's obviously gone.

Mr. Body
10-23-2006, 01:57 AM
You were talking about his college play, not him as a pro.

JMarkJohns
10-23-2006, 07:22 AM
I said he was overrated as a college player. He was a very good player in college who, thanks to Dukee V, was placed amongst the NCAA's finest by the end of his three-year career when he shouldn't have been.

And no, I was mainly speaking about his NBA career, so I thank you for reading my entire post(s) next time and for not then putting words in my mouth.

Tobias
10-23-2006, 08:57 AM
As a pro, he was solid at best. Following really good games with hopefully regretable ones. So I think Jmark was more to the point.

yavozerb
10-23-2006, 09:43 AM
The guy would have played in the NBA for 8-10 years if he would have stayed healthy and to me that made him an above average NBA player (when he was healthy.) As far as college player, I am not even going to go there because 90% of NBA players were stars in college!!

AFBlue
10-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Well whatever he "would" have been is obviously far from what he "is." This guy got cut from the Nets despite the "other" Williams being hobbled with injury and their backup point guard as VINCE CARTER...he must have really made an impression, and not in a good way.