PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Bonner still learning Spurs' mantra

Solid D
10-24-2006, 12:16 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102406.4D.spurs.34ef428.html

Web Posted: 10/24/2006 12:04 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley heard it when he joined the Spurs. So did Brent Barry, Danny Ferry, Stephen Jackson and just about every other shooter to ever play under Gregg Popovich.
Don't predicate your game on your shot.

Matt Bonner is the latest to try to heed Popovich's longtime mantra.

"If he misses a shot, he's a little too concerned about it because that's his major skill," Popovich said of the Spurs' new forward. "We have to get him thinking a little more broadly."

When the Spurs acquired Bonner in June in a trade that sent Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto, team officials said they were glad to get another sharp-shooting big man like Robert Horry to help space the floor. Popovich, however, has also made it clear he expects the 6-foot-10 Bonner to rebound and defend.

"He wants me to stay aggressive at both ends regardless of how I'm shooting the ball," said Bonner, who made 42.1 percent of his 3-pointers in two seasons in Toronto.

For now, Bonner's top concern is learning the Spurs' system. After watching Ferry become a capable team defender, the Spurs think Bonner can do the same.

Horry, meanwhile, has been helping Bonner with the offense, which differs a lot from what the Raptors ran.

"It's a lot of motion, reads, rules, regarding where you should be on the court and what the situation is," Bonner said. "It's coming slowly."

During Sunday's loss in Houston, Bonner contributed 11 points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes, his most of the preseason. He threw in a nice jump hook, but missed four of his five 3-point attempts, dropping him to 4 of 14 in the team's six exhibition games. With defenders mindful of closing out on him, he has worked to improve his in-between game.

"I haven't shot the ball up to my standards all preseason," Bonner said. "But I know as a shooter, some nights you make it, some nights you don't."

Showmanship crackdown: The Spurs had their annual meeting with the officials last week to discuss rules changes and emphases for the upcoming season.

Referees have been told to target three types of traveling: changing one's pivot feet; faking with one foot, then moving the other direction before the ball touches the court; and shooting off the wrong foot after a bunny hop. The league also wants to eliminate a lot of the jostling that goes on between players when they line up along the key for free throws.

The league's biggest crackdown, however, will involve on-court conduct. Referees have been told by NBA commissioner David Stern to lower their tolerance for player complaints and excessive showmanship.

Popovich, who has admonished his players in the past for griping at the officials, agrees with the decision.

"It isn't like you invented the light bulb just because you dunked over somebody," Popovich said. "It's not like you did something anybody in the Western world gives a damn about.

"With what the league's doing, that helps us get rid of this stuff."

Stern issued the directive in his ongoing attempt to improve the league's image.

"If your kids acted the way you looked on the screen, including me — when I go home my wife says why are you chasing this guy? — you'd tell your kids, 'Why are you doing that? You don't need to be doing that,'" Popovich said. "That's what you'd tell your kids, so why are you going to do that?

"Having said that, I don't think we're as bad as written at times. I think the league gets a bad rap in many situations.

"The class of the league is pretty obvious to me. There is somebody here and there who will make a statement that sounds pretty foolish. But when you actually start to compare what people get involved in, in a negative nature off the court, the NBA is pretty clean."

Back to work: The Spurs will resume practicing today after resting Monday. Their final preseason game is Friday against Dallas at the AT&T Center.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
San Antonio Express-News publish date Oct. 24, 2006

timvp
10-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Defensively, Danny Ferry is a good role model for Bonner. Ferry was a horrible defender when he landed in San Antonio and was even less athletic than Bonner, but after a while he was actually called on at times to be a defensive stopper against certain players. There's no reason Bonner can't get to that level.

Bonner has a chance to really help this team down the line. He can shoot the ball and he's big enough to play power forward. The questions will be whether he can survive the Spurs' high expectations and the pressure that comes with it and will he be able to defend and rebound well enough to stay on the court.

Right now he's struggling like most shooters do when they come to the Spurs. Steve Kerr sucked for a couple season. Brent Barry was pretty horrible for a year and half. Stephen Jackson couldn't get off the bench for over a year. It'll take some time with Bonner but if he can fit into the Spurs' system, he'll be a good 7th or 8th man in time.

Louis2
10-24-2006, 01:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102406.4D.spurs.34ef428.html

Web Posted: 10/24/2006 12:04 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley heard it when he joined the Spurs. So did Brent Barry, Danny Ferry, Stephen Jackson and just about every other shooter to ever play under Gregg Popovich.
Don't predicate your game on your shot.

Matt Bonner is the latest to try to heed Popovich's longtime mantra.

"If he misses a shot, he's a little too concerned about it because that's his major skill," Popovich said of the Spurs' new forward. "We have to get him thinking a little more broadly."

When the Spurs acquired Bonner in June in a trade that sent Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto, team officials said they were glad to get another sharp-shooting big man like Robert Horry to help space the floor. Popovich, however, has also made it clear he expects the 6-foot-10 Bonner to rebound and defend.

"He wants me to stay aggressive at both ends regardless of how I'm shooting the ball," said Bonner, who made 42.1 percent of his 3-pointers in two seasons in Toronto.

For now, Bonner's top concern is learning the Spurs' system. After watching Ferry become a capable team defender, the Spurs think Bonner can do the same.

Horry, meanwhile, has been helping Bonner with the offense, which differs a lot from what the Raptors ran.

"It's a lot of motion, reads, rules, regarding where you should be on the court and what the situation is," Bonner said. "It's coming slowly."

During Sunday's loss in Houston, Bonner contributed 11 points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes, his most of the preseason. He threw in a nice jump hook, but missed four of his five 3-point attempts, dropping him to 4 of 14 in the team's six exhibition games. With defenders mindful of closing out on him, he has worked to improve his in-between game.

"I haven't shot the ball up to my standards all preseason," Bonner said. "But I know as a shooter, some nights you make it, some nights you don't."

Showmanship crackdown: The Spurs had their annual meeting with the officials last week to discuss rules changes and emphases for the upcoming season.

Referees have been told to target three types of traveling: changing one's pivot feet; faking with one foot, then moving the other direction before the ball touches the court; and shooting off the wrong foot after a bunny hop. The league also wants to eliminate a lot of the jostling that goes on between players when they line up along the key for free throws.

The league's biggest crackdown, however, will involve on-court conduct. Referees have been told by NBA commissioner David Stern to lower their tolerance for player complaints and excessive showmanship.

Popovich, who has admonished his players in the past for griping at the officials, agrees with the decision.

"It isn't like you invented the light bulb just because you dunked over somebody," Popovich said. "It's not like you did something anybody in the Western world gives a damn about.

"With what the league's doing, that helps us get rid of this stuff."

Stern issued the directive in his ongoing attempt to improve the league's image.

"If your kids acted the way you looked on the screen, including me — when I go home my wife says why are you chasing this guy? — you'd tell your kids, 'Why are you doing that? You don't need to be doing that,'" Popovich said. "That's what you'd tell your kids, so why are you going to do that?

"Having said that, I don't think we're as bad as written at times. I think the league gets a bad rap in many situations.

"The class of the league is pretty obvious to me. There is somebody here and there who will make a statement that sounds pretty foolish. But when you actually start to compare what people get involved in, in a negative nature off the court, the NBA is pretty clean."

Back to work: The Spurs will resume practicing today after resting Monday. Their final preseason game is Friday against Dallas at the AT&T Center.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
San Antonio Express-News publish date Oct. 24, 2006

No more whining for Dunkin Dounuts.

Mr. Body
10-24-2006, 01:43 AM
You reposted the entire article for that?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Defensively, Danny Ferry is a good role model for Bonner. Ferry was a horrible defender when he landed in San Antonio and was even less athletic than Bonner, but after a while he was actually called on at times to be a defensive stopper against certain players. There's no reason Bonner can't get to that level.

Bonner has a chance to really help this team down the line. He can shoot the ball and he's big enough to play power forward. The questions will be whether he can survive the Spurs' high expectations and the pressure that comes with it and will he be able to defend and rebound well enough to stay on the court.

Right now he's struggling like most shooters do when they come to the Spurs. Steve Kerr sucked for a couple season. Brent Barry was pretty horrible for a year and half. Stephen Jackson couldn't get off the bench for over a year. It'll take some time with Bonner but if he can fit into the Spurs' system, he'll be a good 7th or 8th man in time.True. D is the reason Bonner might start the season on the IR and probably the reason Jamar Smith is still on the team.

timvp
10-24-2006, 02:32 AM
True. D is the reason Bonner might start the season on the IR and probably the reason Jamar Smith is still on the team.

Yeah, Jamar Smith spent some time on TMac. If it comes down to Smith or Melvin Sanders, I'm hoping for Smith. He doesn't have much game right now other than being a good athlete, but perhpas the Spurs could turn him into a perimeter defender that can rebound.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2006, 02:59 AM
I didn't believe in Smith for the Spurs until I saw him defending small forwards in summer league. I said before he seems to be very coachable, so that may play into the Spurs' decision making. I won't say anyone is a lock because I think Sharrod Ford should have been a keeper last season given our needs, but everything I know about Jamar (a full season in Austin and summer league) makes me think he's a good choice for 15th man/long SF project.

wildbill2u
10-24-2006, 03:34 AM
TimVP wrote: "Right now he's struggling like most shooters do when they come to the Spurs. Steve Kerr sucked for a couple season. Brent Barry was pretty horrible for a year and half."

I hear ya--but has anyone ever come up with a decent theory why a shooter can't shoot when he comes to the Spurs?

Is it intimidation from Pop? I haven't heard anything that would make me think so.

It can't be the floor situation, because with all the double teams on Tim, it always seems like there is an open man on the perimeter.

Are they just good team players who want to get defer to Tima and the ball into him so he can shoot?

Worn out from playing hard at the Spurs defense? Kerr and Barry? I don't think so.

So does anybody have a theory?

z0sa
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
When you broaden your game to include things you've never focused on (ie Defense), your shot is going to suffer.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I hear ya--but has anyone ever come up with a decent theory why a shooter can't shoot when he comes to the Spurs?
You didn't even mention free throw shooting.

Just about every good FT shooter who comes to the Spurs has their career low year (or close to it) here with them.

Barry, Hedo, Horry, Steve Smith, Danny Ferry.

Finely is about the only one who remained immune.

Samr
10-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Referees have been told by NBA commissioner David Stern to lower their tolerance for player complaints.....

There goes Rasheed.....

Drive Like Jehu
10-24-2006, 10:54 AM

I think the flow of the game is different for most of the shooters who arrive in San Antonio. Most shooters are used to getting a certain amount of looks per game. Once a shooter becomes a secondary option in their mind, instead of a primary, they start to think before they shoot. I think this has been a big problem for Barry and Finley.

I think this is especially true for wide open shots. The ball gets kicked out from the paint, and the shooter is "too open". They are so conditioned get the ball to Tim, that they mentally double clutch before shooting.

However, I don't think anyone is to blame. It's natural for a shooter to come into the Spurs system with the idea that Dave/Tim is the guy and they need to work their game around the star in the paint. I think Pop knows this. Pop doesn't need a roster full of shooters thinking "I missed the shot, I shouldn't have shot that, I should have worked inside to the big man." because it causes a mental pause that throws their shot off. Pop doesn't want the shooter to work his game around the Spurs system; he wants the shooter to add his game to the system.

The one outside shooter who has been consistent for the Spurs is Bruce Bowen. I think it is no coincidence that Bowen has always had the attitude of a secondary scorer and has not had to worry about adjusting to the system.

That just my two cents, and is probably way off base...

Que Gee
10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
You didn't even mention free throw shooting.

Just about every good FT shooter who comes to the Spurs has their career low year (or close to it) here with them.

Barry, Hedo, Horry, Steve Smith, Danny Ferry.

Finely is about the only one who remained immune.

???? Finley was bad too. He had the worst year of his career last season.

z0sa
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
finley shot 80%.

and I dont think finley dropped off at all - I think he played some of the best ball of his career in the playoffs. He hit every big shots, it just didnt turn out to a win.

T Park
10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I said when they acquired him that if he can become a Danny Ferry, then this will be the best trade the Spurs have made in a long time.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
???? Finley was bad too. He had the worst year of his career last season.

Are you talking about FT shooting? He shot .852 last year, better than his career averaged of .809.

ploto
10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
The problem really has to do with how the shooter is used. The problem for some guys- like Hedo- is that his strength was not the same as the role the Spurs wanted him to fill. Just like Barry, he was always his best with the ball in his hands, but they took that away and again wanted him to stand at the three point line and catch the ball and shoot.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
The Spurs are the worst coached organization in professional sports.

ploto
10-24-2006, 05:11 PM
As for Ferry- he only played about 9 or 10 minutes a game his last 2 seasons with the Spurs and did not play at all probably 1/3 of the games. I don't know that Bonner at his young age can be effective with so few minutes as he will get.

Not everyone is going to play. People are clamoring to start Butler- so what about Elson, Oberto, and Horry. If Oberto does not start he becomes yet another back-up poward forward after Duncan and Horry. Bonner has got to get past a lot of guys even to get onto the court.

SequSpur
10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Every time I read an article like this,
I just get that feeling of smoke being blown up my ass.

Bonner is no Danny Ferry.

GMAFB.

jman3000
10-24-2006, 05:26 PM
danny ferry = bonzi wells stopper.

diego
10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
all i know is if we sign shooters they need to shoot -and make- their shots. If you look at our roster we have loads of them (Im not saying its all they can do, but it is their specialty)

barry, finley, horry, + bowen and manu (i put them apart because its not their specialty but they are good at it), + udrih and bonner, at least going by percentages. Its always better to go for 2 and slam it down their throats, but we have the ability to bomb the crap out of people and it seems we seldom do. It just makes it so much easier to take control of the paint if we can draw the opponent out with threes

cheguevara
06-22-2011, 02:36 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

6 fucking years

cheguevara
06-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Every time I read an article like this,
I just get that feeling of smoke being blown up my ass.

Bonner is no Danny Ferry.

GMAFB.

:lol Sequ with the goods

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Damnit, I got excited when I saw an article from Ludden in the EN.

NASpurs
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Replace "Matt Bonner" with "Richard Jefferson" and it's the exact same shit.

Mr. Body
06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Pop's Mantra is playing goddamn Matt Bonner til the wheels fall off.

Duncan2177
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Bonner sucks

jjktkk
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Great bump.

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't even remember where I was in October 2006

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
This is pretty funny. I still say Bonner should emulate Danny Ferry all the time. I guess that's not so revolutionary an idea . . .

4>0rings
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
:lmao

rAm
06-22-2011, 06:05 PM
rofl

silverblk mystix
06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
You guys are being a little rough on Bonner...

THIS is the year he will break through in the playoffs...
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

ElNono
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
old thread delivers :lol

Russ
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Pop's Mantra is playing goddamn Matt Bonner til the wheels fall off.

What wheels?

TJastal
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
it's only been 5 years, not 6

:lol

crc21209
06-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Ludden should write a follow-up article titled: "Bonner STIIILLL learning Spurs mantra."

cheguevara
06-23-2011, 08:48 AM
$10,000,000 through 2014

:lmao :lmao

cheguevara
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

6 fucking years

UPDATE: :lmao :lmao :lmao

7 fucking years

silverblk mystix
06-07-2012, 03:26 PM
You guys are being a little rough on Bonner...

THIS is the year he will break through in the playoffs...
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Jesus Fuckin' Chrysler

GrandeDavid
06-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Why on earth would somebody write an article on Matt Bonner in a national publication?

timvp
06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
The questions will be whether he can survive the Spurs' high expectations and the pressure that comes with it

Once he failed that test, Pop should have given up on him. About four years ago, tbh.

silverblk mystix
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Once he failed that test, Pop should have given up on him. About four years ago, tbh.

Sorry, you are just a Pop hater. Who knows better- a coach with 4 rings or a guy who writes on an internet forum?

Hail Pop!

baseline bum
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Bookmarking to bump next May. :depressed

Dex
06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Like most of us, saw this coming. You can polish a turd all you want, and all you'll get is shiny crap.

The WCF collapse wasn't all on Bonner, but still did enough damage to help get the Spurs in a hole they couldn't climb out of. At least Pop finally saw the light and went away from using him...but it was too little, too late. Hopefully, that mentality will at least be fresh next season, and he will either find away to move Matt, or keep him on the end of the bench where he belongs.

Great guy. But politely go fucking somewhere else.

slick'81
06-07-2012, 05:08 PM
lol learning lol in his 30s lol pussy

Libri
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Pop really expected him to rebound considering the length of his arms?

I need 5
06-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Danny Ferry had heart. That is the difference between him and Bonner. He took hard fouls and really mixed it up inside. He was a decent rebounder and very scappy as well.

angelbelow
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Bookmarking to bump next May. :depressed

Bonner's fine work starts in April.

baseline bum
06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
What I would have given to have Ferry instead of Bonner. Danny Ferry stepped up and had a huge game 2 against Phoenix in 03 in a game where DRob was injured and Willis suspended. No one really brings it up anymore, but that Suns team could have easily eliminated the Spurs that season and was a matchup nightmare. Without Ferry's effort on the boards that game the Spurs probably become the original 07 Mavs, real talk.

gospursgojas
06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Why on earth would somebody write an article on Matt Bonner in a national publication?

This is a thread from 06. Ludden was still a beat writer for spurs back then.

I assume this has been bumped at the end of every Matt bonner filled playoff choking run.

Spurs Brazil
06-07-2012, 07:59 PM
What I would have given to have Ferry instead of Bonner. Danny Ferry stepped up and had a huge game 2 against Phoenix in 03 in a game where DRob was injured and Willis suspended. No one really brings it up anymore, but that Suns team could have easily eliminated the Spurs that season and was a matchup nightmare. Without Ferry's effort on the boards that game the Spurs probably become the original 07 Mavs, real talk.

Besides the boards he had a big shot in the end after missing a bunch early.

MI21
06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I would rather have Rasho shooting 3's after April than Bonner, tbh.

Get the fuck off my team.

ata
06-08-2012, 03:39 AM
As big as Rasho fan I am - Rasho also tend to fold in PO

BackHome
06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I think Bonner had a sex change cause the ginger boy ain't got no nuts come big games. If he ain't gone from this team this summer we are fked.