PDA

View Full Version : Got Mold?

sandman
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Just found out we have mold damage in the garage. The house is barely 3 years old and I am already dealing with this. I just LOVE living in this giant coastal plain flooding, mold remediating town.

What is odd is that it is over the garage door. That makes no sense. Guess I will be spending the weekend replacing sheetrock. :bang

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Translation: He wants to hit it.

01Snake
10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Just found out we have mold damage in the garage. The house is barely 3 years old and I am already dealing with this. I just LOVE living in this giant coastal plain flooding, mold remediating town.

What is odd is that it is over the garage door. That makes no sense. Guess I will be spending the weekend replacing sheetrock. :bang

You've obviuosly have water leaking in from the outside. Mold has to have a source of water and food (drywall) to grow. Find the leak or you will continue to have the problem.

As you implied, do the work yourself. Do not waste your money having a remediator out.

sandman
10-24-2006, 12:26 PM
You've obviuosly have water leaking in from the outside. Mold has to have a source of water and food (drywall) to grow. Find the leak or you will continue to have the problem.

As you implied, do the work yourself. Do not waste your money having a remediator out.

What I think is happening is that I don't have a good seal at the top of the door and possibly all the recent rain has been getting in there. We face East and most of the winds out here in Katy come from the SE. The house is fully guttered, so the upper facias don't have water running down them. Should be a fun weekend.

ashbeeigh
10-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't know what the exact detail is on types of sheetrock, but maybe try some mosture resistant sheet rock as opposed to the regular half 4x8 pieces. The mositure resistance is used to moist rooms like bathrooms, I don't know about it in other places that are prone to leaks though. That's just my two cents. Good luck!

Steve Perry
10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Sounds to me like you just need to caulk above the metal plate where the brick meets the garage door header. I am free this weekend if you want me to do it.

Don't waste your money on sheetrock. I have been dealing with mold since 1984 it was never a health issue until the 90s. We made so much money off of paranoid customers who thought mold was effecting there lives. The mold has to be in the air ducts to make you feel like sneezing. Besides the mold you have is in an area that is to far to do any damage. Go get you one of those pump spray containers that cost 13 dollars that folks used to spray plants and insects, fill it half way with bleach and the other half water.

Spray the molded area and let it sit for a day, then go get you two cans of KILTZ mold blocker (not the latex one) and a two cans of the spray paint that will match your garage. If your garage is not painted yet? (Like they do many new homes today to save money) The Kilz spray may match without using paint. Make sure you stop using latex paint, and only use oil base paints, or exterior paint. so the water will just run off the next time around.

Get the materials and I will do the job for a pack of Dvd-R's

561-9941 :smokin

sandman
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds to me like you just need to caulk above the metal plate where the brick meets the garage door header. I am free this weekend if you want me to do it.

Don't waste your money on sheetrock. I have been dealing with mold since 1984 it was never a health issue until the 90s. We made so much money off of paranoid customers who thought mold was effecting there lives. The mold has to be in the air ducts to make you feel like sneezing. Besides the mold you have is in an area that is to far to do any damage. Go get you one of those pump spray containers that cost 13 dollars that folks used to spray plants and insects, fill it half way with bleach and the other half water.

Spray the molded area and let it sit for a day, then go get you two cans of KILTZ mold blocker (not the latex one) and a two cans of the spray paint that will match your garage. If your garage is not painted yet? (Like they do many new homes today to save money) The Kilz spray may match without using paint. Make sure you stop using latex paint, and only use oil base paints, or exterior paint. so the water will just run off the next time around.

Get the materials and I will do the job for a pack of Dvd-R's

561-9941 :smokin

Excellent advice. I was only going to look at taking down the sheetrock if it had water saturation and lost its integrity. I have Kilz but not the mold blocker, but should be easy enough to get.

btw, you do realize that I live in Houston? A pack of Dvd-R's seems awfully cheap for a 400 mile round trip! :lol

I love boobs
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
:lmao

Zombie Freddy Fender
10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
the only problem with wet sheetrock is, make sure the insulation is dry also. you can try to block the mold but sometimes new mold comes back if there is still wet insulation behind the sheetrock. If you have Kilz? Then it should be ok for blocking the mold, kilz came out with a watetr base primer due to house wives and home improvment dads who could not stand the smeel and stop using it.

Kilz wanted people to keep using the primer and made a water base one. The only problem is the water base Kilz does not do a good job on mold, It is good for priming raw wood and covering up cryaons and lipstick from walls but the stinky oil base Kiltz that will give you a high is the best.

If you have a bad mold problem, you can bleach the hell out of it, then Kiltz it good. Then shoot or roll texture (mud) over the primer spots, then primer again, and paint. The mold will not come back.

When it gets dark outside, have someone go outside with a flashlight and stan on a ladder while you stay in the garage with the lights off and see if you can see the light from outside , if you can? then water can get through those cracks also.

I would go to Houston to help you, but I am taking a dirt nap right now..................