PDA

View Full Version : Hard-nosed Nocioni has never known the meaning of `quit'

TMTTRIO
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/15832212.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_basketball

Hard-nosed Nocioni has never known the meaning of `quit'
By K.C. Johnson

Chicago Tribune

(MCT)

CHICAGO - During their shared rookie seasons, Ben Gordon once spent a light-hearted moment wondering what the naturally caffeinated Andres Nocioni would be like on the energy drink Red Bull.

"He'd probably run through the backboard," Gordon said during the 2004-05 season.

Though no scientific study can prove it, Gordon's guess can't be far off. At least according to testimony from Spurs center Fabricio Oberto, who has known Nocioni for more than 10 years.

"If you think he has energy now, you should've seen him before," Oberto said, laughing. "He was running, trying to dunk over everybody. He was way more wild before. We used to have to tell him to slow down because he had so much energy. We thought he would run through the wall."

Whether he's playing for the Argentine national team, in the NBA or in a pickup game, Nocioni knows only one speed and one style. That's why his trademark intensity doesn't need to be fueled by sugar or caffeine.

But even without the aid of Red Bull, Nocioni's style has spread the impact of a red Bulls uniform, especially in the shared homeland of Nocioni, Oberto and fellow Spur Manu Ginobili.

"Before, everybody followed the Spurs," Oberto said. "Now they've started following the Bulls because of `Chapu.' In the playoffs, people were cheering for him and cheering for the Bulls. It was really important in Argentina."

Julian Mozo, who writes for the Argentine sports daily Ole, also has followed this transformation for the man nicknamed Chapu, after a Mexican cartoon character.

"He jumped in popularity because of his great season with the Bulls and also because he played very well in Japan [at the world championships]," Mozo said via e-mail. "Manu is more of a star, but Chapu is also loved here because of his guts, his aggressive style.

"Every Argentine wants to be like Chapu. Here, as in every country, talent is important. But Argentina is special because maybe it's more important to play with heart, risking your body if necessary. Chapu is special in this matter."

Nocioni's ascension even in his homeland is yet another byproduct of the comfort level he has reached entering his third season in Chicago. No longer struggling to learn the language or make travel accommodations for his family, Nocioni is picking up where he left off last postseason.

That's when he centered himself more squarely in the national spotlight after a dominant playoff series against Miami in which he averaged 22.3 points and 8.8 rebounds.

"We all knew what kind of competitor he was and his attitude for the game," Ginobili said. "I didn't have any doubts he would be an important player in the NBA. But now he has adapted to the league.

"He was already a great player. But his rookie year here, he didn't speak a word of English. He didn't know what the coaches wanted or how the league worked. It takes time."

Ginobili is the unquestioned star of the Argentine national team, which won a shocking gold medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics and came within a Nocioni missed three-pointer of making the world basketball championship final. But his national teammates have long known what the NBA is starting to see with more consistency.

"He's a really important guy for our group and for any group," Oberto said. "He's always positive. Every possession, every second, he gives himself completely. This is the way to play. His desire to win is so great that he can give that sort of energy to other guys."

Nocioni, 26, reacts to such compliments with a look of almost absolute disgust. Then he waves his hand, as if to brush them away. Always his own harshest critic, Nocioni acts like he's still the naive player who first arrived for 2004 training camp with a translator.

But in a quieter moment, Nocioni lets his guard down. He admits having his wife and almost-2-year-old son living with him in America has calmed him. He admits his ability to understand and speak the language more efficiently has helped him.

"I am just more comfortable here now," Nocioni said. "It's much better for me."

Ginobili talks of a more mature Nocioni, although Bulls teammates who insist he's one of the goofier players behind the scenes might disagree. But for any changes Nocioni might've undergone off the court, his on-the-court demeanor is status quo.

Embarrassed by his 40.1 percent shooting in his rookie season, Nocioni changed his footwork and raised it to 46.1 percent last season. This summer, Nocioni saved a photo of himself missing an open three-pointer in Argentina's semifinal loss to Spain to serve as motivation.

"I need to keep my head in the game," he said. "I always can get better. I want to improve because I want to win for the Chicago Bulls. I won't stop trying until we do."

boutons_
10-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Why does the Chapu cartoon character apply to Andres?

midgetonadonkey
10-24-2006, 12:53 PM
He should look it up in a dictionary.