PDA

View Full Version : Of Gentlemen and Revolving Doors

Spurminator
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
As any good Texan man knows, a gentleman will open the door for a lady. Similarly, we will allow ladies onto the elevator first (even holding the door for them when necessary.)

But what is the policy on revolving doors? On one hand, if you let the lady go first, they are responsible for initiating the movement of the revolving door (which can often be difficult with some doors). So the brunt of the physical labor is given to the woman. On the other hand, if you jump ahead of her, you appear rude and illmannered.

Help me out here. This is a dilemma I encounter every morning.

G.Q.
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM
The man goes first. Just like going down stairs.

Jimcs50
10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
As any good Texan man knows, a gentleman will open the door for a lady. Similarly, we will allow ladies onto the elevator first (even holding the door for them when necessary.)

But what is the policy on revolving doors? On one hand, if you let the lady go first, they are responsible for initiating the movement of the revolving door (which can often be difficult with some doors). So the brunt of the physical labor is given to the woman. On the other hand, if you jump ahead of her, you appear rude and illmannered.

Help me out here. This is a dilemma I encounter every morning.

If she is hot, you get in the same segment as she, and then you push the bar for her, but you hope that it gets stuck and you are stranded together for an hour or so.

10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
G.Q. is correct, the man should enter first.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Stop and act like you are tying your shoe until the woman is inside the building.

CosmicCowboy
10-24-2006, 02:43 PM
If she is hot, you get in the same segment as she, and then you push the bar for her, but you hope that it gets stuck and you are stranded together for an hour or so.

Jim's got the right idea...get behind her in the same segment and reach around her to "help" push the door...subtly dry humping her at the same time.

tlongII
10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Jim's got the right idea...get behind her in the same segment and reach around her to "help" push the door...subtly dry humping her at the same time.

:tu

sa_butta
10-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Jim's got the right idea...get behind her in the same segment and reach around her to "help" push the door...subtly dry humping her at the same time.:lmao

1Parker1
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM

I knew someone would respond like that...I personally think you should just let the girl go first in the rovolving door. I can see where some doors are difficult to push and you want to push it for the girl, but I think it'd be rude if you went first.

We women are stronger than we look. :princess

Solid D
10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Great conversation starter for singles.
Guy:"May I hold the door open for you?" then smile.
The rest is up to her and how she responds to you.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
They are really impressed when you can hold the door open without the use of your arms or legs.

jman3000
10-24-2006, 05:11 PM
what if you're entering a restaurant with 2 seperate doors to enter... opening the first is easy, but after she's passed you do you just let her open the second door or do you hurry up and run to the second door looking like a retard to open it?

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 05:14 PM
You trip her before she can get to the second door.

jman3000
10-24-2006, 05:15 PM
*makes mental note*

Jimcs50
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
what if you're entering a restaurant with 2 seperate doors to enter... opening the first is easy, but after she's passed you do you just let her open the second door or do you hurry up and run to the second door looking like a retard to open it?

In my experience, the girl holds the 2nd door open for me, like she was returning the favor....that works for me.

1Parker1
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
In my experience, the girl holds the 2nd door open for me, like she was returning the favor....that works for me.

In my experience, the guy is usually quick and smooth and rushes to open the second door....that works for me :)

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 07:08 PM

Plus, it must be tough for you getting around in that walker.

1Parker1
10-24-2006, 07:14 PM

:lol Was that a dig at Jimbo's age?

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
:lol Was that a dig at Jimbo's age?

Heavens, no!

At his feebleness. :angel

Jimcs50
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM

At least I still have full control of my bladder, unlike someone in here who shall remain nameless.

PS

Shoog, did you get those Depends coupons that I clipped out for you?

Summers
10-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Y'all are making me teary-eyed. Eleven years of marriage and I still haven't managed to teach my Yankee husband this simple maneuver. He also wears his baseball cap indoors and puts his elbows on the table when he eats. It's like he was raised in a barn, but really, it was one of those square states up north.

miss paxton
10-24-2006, 08:51 PM

Actually, at some point years ago I learned men are supposed to get on elevators first, the rationale apparently being that should the elevator malfunction, the lady is saved--like going down with the ship, I guess. I've noticed, though, that nobody actually does that. Generally, men hold the elevator door for me, so I guess I'm the canary to make sure the elevator's safe. Has anybody else ever heard this (men getting on the elevator first)? If it helps, I was living in Baton Rouge at the time I heard/read/somehow absorbed this.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
What simple maneuver? I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with a revolving door! :lol

Summers
10-24-2006, 08:57 PM
What simple maneuver? I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with a revolving door! :lol

:lol You'd be forgiven for erring on the side of good manners, but I'm talking the basic holding the door open thing. I used to assume everyone knew a man is supposed to hold a door open for a woman, but I was wrong. Men from small square states up north don't know that, and apparently they become incapable of learning knew tricks past the age of 24.

ploto
10-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I wait and let the guy catch up to me. :)

Good 'N Plenty
10-25-2006, 07:31 AM
The man goes first. Just like going down stairs.

That is correct.

Slomo
10-25-2006, 07:46 AM
what if you're entering a restaurant with 2 seperate doors to enter... opening the first is easy, but after she's passed you do you just let her open the second door or do you hurry up and run to the second door looking like a retard to open it?You see, even holdong the first door open for the lady is wrong.

The rule is (although I haven't seen it applied in a very long time) that the man always goes first into public places like restaurants, pubs, bar and similar. The explanation being that he has to make sure that the place is safe enough and suitable for the ladies presence (similar to the elevator rule) - he does however holds the door open for her so she can follow him easily. Men should only hold doors open and let the lady go first into places that are private and guaranteed to be safe.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 07:55 AM
They have revolving doors in . . .? Nah, too easy.

And EVERY place in 'Murica is guaranteed safe indoors. :spin

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 08:37 AM
You see, even holdong the first door open for the lady is wrong.

The rule is (although I haven't seen it applied in a very long time) that the man always goes first into public places like restaurants, pubs, bar and similar. The explanation being that he has to make sure that the place is safe enough and suitable for the ladies presence (similar to the elevator rule) - he does however holds the door open for her so she can follow him easily. Men should only hold doors open and let the lady go first into places that are private and guaranteed to be safe.

Not in America buddy.

Pretty much you are going to assume that you and a lady will not be entering a dangerous establishment( Mafia headquarters, gang banger hangouts, biker bars or a DKNY store, when they have shoes 50% off)

The lady always enters first.

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
What really irks me though, is when you hold a door open, the girl struts through and does not even bother to say thankyou.

I usually just say something like "You're welcome, your highness"

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 08:42 AM
What really irks me though, is when you hold a door open, the girl struts through and does not even bother to say thankyou.

I usually just say something like "You're welcome, your highness"

Perhaps if you tried it without using your other hand to fondle yourself?

Boston George
10-25-2006, 08:43 AM
i get in first then make them dizzy by going uncontrollably fast in circles

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Perhaps if you tried it without using your other hand to fondle yourself?

What can I say, the chicks dig it.

dougp
10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Not in America buddy.

Pretty much you are going to assume that you and a lady will not be entering a dangerous establishment( Mafia headquarters, gang banger hangouts, biker bars or a DKNY store, when they have shoes 50% off)

The lady always enters first.
When entering double doors, I personally will walk through the first door while holding it for her, and already being at the second door so that she doesn't have to stop.

She, 1) gets the first door opened for her and 2) can continue to walk through the second one being held for her.

This is made more difficult by assholes at restaurants who feel the necessity to cut me off.

And about the elevator, a man should get on first and hold the elevator/press the button. When getting OFF, the woman should be allowed to go first ... that's how we do it where I work.

And the revolving door? Simple, don't use it - there's always an alternative door that's regular and it doesn't make things as ackward :elephant

Slomo
10-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Not in America buddy.

The lady always enters first.Actually its a very old rule (any bar/restaurant was deemed potentially dangerous - you never know when a rude drunken patron is inside) - but that's how the whole thing started. I realize you would at least get an angry glance if you tried to apply it nowadays.

And I agree that a little "thank you" from the lady is nice. Shows that she noticed :)

samikeyp
10-25-2006, 09:39 AM
In my experience, the guy is usually quick and smooth and rushes to open the second door....that works for me

Something I have learned over the years. My wife helps out also by slowing down a little before the second door! :)

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
I have been told that on an elevator, the actual rule is that you get off first if you're closest to the door, because it is impolite to hold up other people from entering or exiting.

dougp
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
I have been told that on an elevator, the actual rule is that you get off first if you're closest to the door, because it is impolite to hold up other people from entering or exiting.
If you're packed in - that's understandable. But on our elevators here at work, since they're secure floors we normally don't get crowded.

1Parker1
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
I always say "Thank You." :angel

FYI, I've been noticeing that the elevator ettiquette in this country is going down the tubes. Though guys usually do hold doors open for me, when I get onto an elevator, I've hardly ever had a guy hold it open for me or push the button for me (without me having to tell him first "can u please push 5 for me?")...and they usually don't let me get out first (especially if it's packed).

Sigh** What is this country coming to? :lol

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
I always say "Thank You." :angel

FYI, I've been noticeing that the elevator ettiquette in this country is going down the tubes. Though guys usually do hold doors open for me, when I get onto an elevator, I've hardly ever had a guy hold it open for me or push the button for me (without me having to tell him first "can u please push 5 for me?")...and they usually don't let me get out first (especially if it's packed).

Sigh** What is this country coming to? :lol

You could lose an arm holding that dor open you know. I can never figure out which button opens the door and which one closes the door fast enough to do any good anyway.

:)

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:55 AM
The double door thing takes cooperation from the male and female.

The male holds the first door open, the female walks through. The female steps to the side and the male rushes through to open/hold the second door, then the female walks through and says, "Thank You."

The revolving door, the male lets the female step into the revolving door compartment and reaches over her shoulder to push it for her. At that point the woman will usually say, "Thanks I got it."

Pretty simple.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Elevator ... let her get on and off first, unless it's super crowded then the male can exit first.

I think 1Parker1 really just needs a man to push her buttons and let her get off first :lmao

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
The double door thing takes cooperation from the male and female.

The male holds the first door open, the female walks through. The female steps to the side and the male rushes through to open/hold the second door, then the female walks through and says, "Thank You."

The revolving door, the male lets the female step into the revolving door compartment and reaches over her shoulder to push it for her. At that point the woman will usually say, "Thanks I got it."

Pretty simple.

You reach over her shoulder nowadays and you will probably get maced in your face..:)

samikeyp
10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I always say "Thank You."

and to you I say, thank you. A lot of people, male or female, don't anymore.

Also....to the women here...do you appreciate it when a man, whether you know him or not, opens a door for you? I have recieved dirty looks before when I have opened doors. Its just something I was raised to do.

dougp
10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Elevator ... let her get on and off first, unless it's super crowded then the male can exit first.

I think 1Parker1 really just needs a man to push her buttons and let her get off first :lmao
I don't know why but I feel that second sentence is very sig worthy ... :clap

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Also....to the women here...do you appreciate it when a man, whether you know him or not, opens a door for you? I have recieved dirty looks before when I have opened doors. Its just something I was raised to do.

I think the dirty looks are because you hit them with the door....you have to do it when they are out of the way, man.

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I've never gotten a bad look from a woman for holding or opening a door for them. Maybe I just don't notice. I even hold a door open for a guy.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
do you appreciate it when a man, whether you know him or not, opens a door for you?

Yes. I get mad when they don't.

I still believe that men and women have distinct roles. Opening doors is something men should do, just like taking out the garbage and pumping gas. Women should do most of the cooking, rub their husband's back/feet/whatever, and be willing to have sex at all times. :lmao

Slomo
10-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I've never gotten a bad look from a woman for holding or opening a door for them. Maybe I just don't notice. I even hold a door open for a guy.Are you saying your doors swing both ways?

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Are you saying your doors swing both ways?

No back entrance!! :lmao

1Parker1
10-25-2006, 11:13 AM

:oops Well damn...when you say it like that... :lol

samikeyp
10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I think the dirty looks are because you hit them with the door....you have to do it when they are out of the way, man.

Ohhhh.....that is how it works. :)

Yes. I get mad when they don't.

I still believe that men and women have distinct roles. Opening doors is something men should do, just like taking out the garbage and pumping gas.

My wife would agree with you on all those points. :)

Marklar MM
10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey ladies..grow a pair and open your own damn doors. :)

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Here endeth the thread.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Could be partly due to the fact that I've been in relationships without the normal male/female roles to rely on, but I've always been a firm believer that whomever reaches the door first should hold it open for the other person.

ploto
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
do you appreciate it when a man, whether you know him or not, opens a door for you? I have recieved dirty looks before when I have opened doors. Its just something I was raised to do.
I appreciate it when anyone opens or holds a door for me.

I do it for older people all the time, even though I am a woman. I can not stand when people can tell someone could use some help and just stand there looking impatient.

Summers
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM

Yes, I very much appreciate it (especially when I've got a bulky baby carrier in one hand and a rowdy 3-year-old in the other, but that's beside the point); and I, too, always say thank you, and I usually try to look very sincere when I say it. :lol By the same token, like Cucking Funt said, if I reach a door right before someone else, I always hold it open for them and it pisses me off if they don't say thank you, especially if it's a dude.

Spurminator
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the help everybody, but I've decided to do it my own way... Let her climb on my shoulders and we both push.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the help everybody.
No need for sarcasm.

Pauly Shore
10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I Say Deep Fry Their A**

Carie
10-27-2006, 04:47 AM
I appreciate it when anyone holds the door open for me, and I let them know that. I also hold the door open for anyone behind me, and I make a point of trying to get ahead of someone who looks like they could use a little extra help. That's just being polite.