PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have seen The Departed

Jimcs50
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Do not read this if you have not seen the movie!!!

When Billy Costigan goes back to Costello's place after Queenan is killed, and Costello's man(the one that got shot and died) is telling Billy that he gave him the wrong address and Billy was at the right address(in other words he knew Billy was the rat), he asked Billy if he knew why he did not say anything.

Why did he not tell on Billy? I missed that.

Spurminator
10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
He may just not have thought much of it at the time. A lot of shit went down.

I don't think it was ever given a full explanation, so I don't think you missed anything.

ZStomp
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Was he not also a rat??

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-24-2006, 04:28 PM

When Billy Costigan goes back to Costello's place after Queenan is killed, and Costello's man(the one that got shot and died) is telling Billy that he gave him the wrong address and Billy was at the right address(in other words he knew Billy was the rat), he asked Billy if he knew why he did not say anything.

The guy gave Billy the wrong address, so he thought that was the reason he was late.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-24-2006, 04:29 PM
In other words, he thought Billy was saving his ass by not saying he gave the wrong address

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
it was because he was undercover for the boston pd himself. they explained that when they found the body and were covering it on the news. basically every damn person in the movie was a rat in some shape or form.

Spurminator
10-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Was he not also a rat??

That was never really clarified either. Nicholson's character said that the police had named him as an insider to trick him into thinking the rat was dead. It makes sense... But it seemed to be left up to the viewer to decide.

A lot of things in the movie weren't really wrapped up very nicely. In some ways I liked that, in other ways I thought it was a bit sloppy. The envelope DiCapprio's character gave to the psychiatrist, for example. I imagine we're supposed to assume it contained contact info for Wahlberg's character, but that was not spelled out.

Spurfect
10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
it was because he was undercover for the boston pd himself. they explained that when they found the body and were covering it on the news. basically every damn person in the movie was a rat in some shape or form.

I thought they were just saying that in the media to pretend that HE was the real undercover cop, not Billy. in other words since that guy died they used him as the scapegoat.

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
The envelope DiCapprio's character gave to the psychiatrist, for example. I imagine we're supposed to assume it contained contact info for Wahlberg's character, but that was not spelled out.
i'm almost certain that the guy who died was a rat and that nicholson's comment about the red herring were just him being paranoid of the media/police department.

that's the one part of the movie that really irked me. i wanted to know what the damn envelope contained... i reckon it held the recordings (because dicaprio didn't know who the shrinks boyfriend was) and contact info for marky mark.

Spurfect
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
That was never really clarified either. Nicholson's character said that the police had named him as an insider to trick him into thinking the rat was dead. It makes sense... But it seemed to be left up to the viewer to decide.

A lot of things in the movie weren't really wrapped up very nicely. In some ways I liked that, in other ways I thought it was a bit sloppy. The envelope DiCapprio's character gave to the psychiatrist, for example. I imagine we're supposed to assume it contained contact info for Wahlberg's character, but that was not spelled out.

it did bug me a bit about the envelope. I wanted to see what was in it. But I'm guessing it held proof to Matt Damon's character being the rat, and who to show it to. I also have to wonder why the black cop didn't bring Mark Wahlberg (i need to learn the character's names lol) with him at the end, if Billy had asked him to (as he said to him "Why didn't you bring Officer Dingum?" or whatever his name was).

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I thought they were just saying that in the media to pretend that HE was the real undercover cop, not Billy. in other words since that guy died they used him as the scapegoat. but the fact that he didn't tell on costigan kinda proves that he was a cop and once he found out costigan was an UC he couldn't turn on one of his own.

ZStomp
10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
So the envelope had information for Marky Mark (and the funky bunch) that lead him to take care of business at the end??

Spurfect
10-24-2006, 04:44 PM
but the fact that he didn't tell on costigan kinda proves that he was a cop and once he found out costigan was an UC he couldn't turn on one of his own.

I don't know if I'm just remembering wrong or what... but didn't Billy almost try/or did finish that man off? he got all scared when the guy told him he had given him the wrong address. wouldn't billy then try to save him, not kill him? I mean if they were both cops, you'd think he wouldn't get all freaked out by it

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
So the envelope had information for Marky Mark (and the funky bunch) that lead him to take care of business at the end??
most likely ... but l.ike what's been said before... it wasn't cleared up so we really don't know... when i first saw those paper feet thingies i thought it was gonna be the cleaning lady :lol

ZStomp
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
This was a freaken great movie!!

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know if I'm just remembering wrong or what... but didn't Billy almost try/or did finish that man off? he got all scared when the guy told him he had given him the wrong address. wouldn't billy then try to save him, not kill him? I mean if they were both cops, you'd think he wouldn't get all freaked out by it
costigan pulled out his gun like he was about to kill him before he could tell on him.. but then he gave his whole "why do you think i didnt tell on you" speech and croaked.

Spurfect
10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
costigan pulled out his gun like he was about to kill him before he could tell on him.. but then he gave his whole "why do you think i didnt tell on you" speech and croaked.

I'll have to watch the movie again... I was almost sure that Billy was relieved once the man died too... I was thinking that was a bad guy. oh well there are alot of questions about that movie still!!

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:49 PM
I'll have to watch the movie again

i'll pick you up @ 7.

Spurminator
10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah I'm leaning towards he wasn't a rat.

I interpreted "Why didn't I tell on you" as regret, not a hint as to his real motives.

Spurfect
10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
i'll pick you up @ 7.

:lol :eyebrows

jman3000
10-24-2006, 04:58 PM
:lol :eyebrows
that means youre paying right? :lol

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 05:11 PM
IMO, Costello's man was not a rat...he simply:

A. ran out of time to tell on Billy and did not say anything earlier b/c he was not sure until he talked to him>>>very possible
B. befriended Billy and that in combination with his ensuing death (different state of mind) made him not say anything>>>possible

...there is no doubt in my mind that he was not a rat.

Jimcs50
10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
No, he was not a rat, but WTF did he not tell on Billy??? The fact that he asked the question in the first place to Billy just pisses me off, because they did not answer the question in the movie.

:flipoff

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 05:21 PM
No, he was not a rat, but WTF did he not tell on Billy??? The fact that he asked the question in the first place to Billy just pisses me off, because they did not answer the question in the movie.

:flipoff

A or B in my previous post is your answer, why does it have to be more specific than that.

Jimcs50
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
A or B in my previous post is your answer, why does it have to be more specific than that.

Because the movie should have not left us hanging, whereupon we have to accept your questionable theories, that is why.

:lol

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Because the movie should have not left us hanging, whereupon we have to accept your questionable theories, that is why.

:lol

my theories are not questionable, i see no other explanation. but i like movies that make you think or leave a little to be interpreted...sometimes a lot. why does everything have to be definite or spelled out?

Fat Bones
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM

Because he was undercover as well.

Fabbs
10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
I'll have to watch the movie again... I was almost sure that Billy was relieved once the man died too... I was thinking that was a bad guy. oh well there are alot of questions about that movie still!!

When you watch it again, could you make sure and see if he does help throw Queenan off the roof? I think TD does not show this scene, but that would surely be telling he did. I hope you are not paying.

At any rate, this piece of crap movie The Defarted may not tell if he was a rat or not. However, "Infernal Affairs" (Hong Kong 2002), the movie off which The Defarted was based before they screwed it all up, apparantly does tell for a fact if he is a rat or not. Along with 300 other plot holes the HK one answers.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:38 AM
When you watch it again, could you make sure and see if he does help throw Queenan off the roof? I think TD does not show this scene, but that would surely be telling he did. I hope you are not paying.

At any rate, this piece of crap movie The Defarted may not tell if he was a rat or not. However, "Infernal Affairs" (Hong Kong 2002), the movie off which The Defarted was based before they screwed it all up, apparantly does tell for a fact if he is a rat or not. Along with 300 other plot holes the HK one answers.

We get it. You hate the movie :lol

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Because he was undercover as well.

He was not undercover, had he been undercover, he would not have allowed them to throw Queenan off the building.

duh.

Fabbs
10-25-2006, 11:23 AM
We get it. You hate the movie :lol
I have to keep counterbalancing all the ones who gush over it. :spin
So those like me who read the reviews in advance thinking about whether or not to attend will get a 'both sides' take. Am I on too much of a mission? :lol
Hey, since you liked it, I'm told you will like Infernal Affairs even more.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I have to keep counterbalancing all the ones who gush over it. :spin
So those like me who read the reviews in advance thinking about whether or not to attend will get a 'both sides' take. Am I on too much of a mission? :lol
Hey, since you liked it, I'm told you will like Infernal Affairs even more.

A couple of my friends have seen both and didn't like Infernal Affairs nearly as much. It's just a matter of preference I guess. I will probably rent it though.

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
He was not undercover, had he been undercover, he would not have allowed them to throw Queenan off the building.

duh.

he's obviously not undercover, i don't know why people keep suggesting he is.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
-The envelope contained info for the Sarge.

-The guy was not a rat. He was saying he fucked up by not giving DiCaprio the correct address and was wondering why DiCaprio never said anything about it. He was the one asking DiCaprio if why he hadn't said anything about being given the wrong address.

The police then used him as a scapegoat.

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Kori, you are NOT allowed to be in this thread.....get out immediately.

:)

Fabbs
10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Manny did you see IA?
If so did it clear up without a doubt the status of guy who died on couch?
I've read it does, have not talked to anyone in person to verify.

Also, for those who think Dr Shrink Chick does not turn in Matt Damon because she still loves him, I say bogile. She realizes after hearing the tape exactly what a puke he is and knows he would kill her in a heartbeat as she can I.D. him ass being the Chief Puke.
It is his thinking he is the father of her baby that restrains him from killing her. She knows this and thus is not gonna tell him that Leo D is the father.
Thats my take on Dr Gal and Matt Damon.

Pauly Shore
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
wow so many people got this answer wrong, the reason he didnt rat on him was cause he was a cop too stupids....in the news report that they watch it even says, boston police officer was found dead in the mosh ...and they were like wow i cant believe he was a cop after all this time....and then the other guy was like damn i cant believe they found him so easy.....

Pauly Shore
10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
he allowed them to do it cause they would have killed him who knows maybe he wasnt even in the building.......he was a cop he even got the cop funeral, watch the damn japanese version geesh!!!

MannyIsGod
10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
He was not a cop, they just used him to try to get pressure off the mole.

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2006, 03:14 PM
wow so many people got this answer wrong, the reason he didnt rat on him was cause he was a cop too stupids....in the news report that they watch it even says, boston police officer was found dead in the mosh ...and they were like wow i cant believe he was a cop after all this time....and then the other guy was like damn i cant believe they found him so easy.....

...i don't care what happened in the jap version, said guy is NOT a mole. its freakin obvious people.

jman3000
10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
so because nicholson's paranoid character says so it must be true? there was just as much evidence to suggest he was as there was to suggest he wasn't.

Pauly Shore
10-25-2006, 03:21 PM
he was a cop you guys are idiots to believe otherwise why do you think he never told on him......

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 04:50 PM
he was a cop you guys are idiots to believe otherwise why do you think he never told on him......

Why would they place 2 cops in the same place?

He was not a cop.

I am writing an email to Martin right now...I will get to the bottom of this.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
The guy was not a rat. He was saying he fucked up by not giving DiCaprio the correct address and was wondering why DiCaprio never said anything about it. He was the one asking DiCaprio if why he hadn't said anything about being given the wrong address.

I think you are wrong with this line: "He was saying he fucked up by not giving DiCaprio the correct address." He wasn't saying that he fucked up by not giving it. He was telling DiCaprio that he gave him the wrong address intentionally (because he suspected him).

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I think you are wrong with this line: "He was saying he fucked up by not giving DiCaprio the correct address." He wasn't saying that he fucked up by not giving it. He was telling DiCaprio that he gave him the wrong address intentionally (because he suspected him).

exactly, i was going to mention this but forgot. i think it is funny that people are so confused on the matter. HE WAS NOT A MOLE.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
I think you are wrong with this line: "He was saying he fucked up by not giving DiCaprio the correct address." He wasn't saying that he fucked up by not giving it. He was telling DiCaprio that he gave him the wrong address intentionally (because he suspected him).Thats entirely plausible too, but I thought he specificaly mentioned that he screwed up.

King
10-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Thats entirely plausible too, but I thought he specificaly mentioned that he screwed up.

But, if he accidentally screwed up, do you think he'd notice that he accidentally transposed numbers in a hurried phone call? If he did, and he realized it, wouldn't he make sure that Leo's character got the right address?

I think he either suspected Leo as the mole, or was told to keep an eye on Leo, or both.

That guy was not a mole, though. The police 'background' was made up by the police to try and fool Jack into believing the mole had been killed, an he was in the clear.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 06:03 PM
The police 'background' was made up by the police to try and fool Jack into believing the mole had been killed, an he was in the clear.

Exactly.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I thought that was obvious. But I guess the police's plan worked so well it confused people in the audience too. :lol

DirkAB
10-25-2006, 07:17 PM
suspected Leo as the mole, or was told to keep an eye on Leo, or both.

That guy was not a mole, though. The police 'background' was made up by the police to try and fool Jack into believing the mole had been killed, an he was in the clear.

I agree, but it still doesn't explain why the guy never ratted on Costigan after he figured out that he was the cop.

SCdac
10-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Only skimmed through the thread, but I agree with most in that the guy was NOT a rat (he was referred to as Costello's "muscle" earlier in the movie, seemed just like it)... I thought it was fairly obvious, both to the audience and Costello, that the Police made up his background to try and help the real insider in Costello's group.

johngateswhiteley
10-26-2006, 03:32 AM
I agree, but it still doesn't explain why the guy never ratted on Costigan after he figured out that he was the cop.

read my post on why. that is your answer :)

Spurfect
10-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I was under the impression that the guy accidentally (not intentionally) gave Billy the wrong address in a rush. I remember when I was watching the movie, I caught it right away (except I caught that the numbers were wrong, didn't catch the street was wrong as well). But then later as he was dying maybe that is when it came to him that he had given the wrong address and so then he was wondering how Billy found them. By then it was too late though, as he was dying, but he confronted Billy beforehand.

for those of you that think he was a cop as well... then WHAT would be the purpose of him giving Billy the wrong address on purpose? Costigan suspected a rat..so then surely if the guy was really a cop, he'd think that HE was the one Costigan was looking for, therefore why would he suspect anyone else (Billy)? And wouldn't he also be worried/rebelling against giving his information (social security #'s, etc.) to Costigan, just like Billy was?

Spurfect
10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
also i agree with whoever said they wouldn't have TWO cops there at the same time. at least without knowing about each other.. there is no way! can you imagine the risks involved with that? either they have two cops in there that know each other and work together, or they just have one. no way they can have two blinds.

jman3000
10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
also i agree with whoever said they wouldn't have TWO cops there at the same time. at least without knowing about each other.. there is no way! can you imagine the risks involved with that? either they have two cops in there that know each other and work together, or they just have one. no way they can have two blinds.
difference is that costigan was with the state police and the other guy was reportedly boston pd... and they made it a point in the movie that nobody was to know of costigan period.

Spurfect
10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
difference is that costigan was with the state police and the other guy was reportedly boston pd... and they made it a point in the movie that nobody was to know of costigan period.

I'd still think they would correlate with each other even if they were different departments.

jman3000
10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd still think they would correlate with each other even if they were different departments.
but marky mark made it a specific point that nobody outside of him and sheen would know the identity of their under cover guy... i don't get how that doesn't make sense... just because something should be a certain way doesn't men it is in reality.

jman3000
10-26-2006, 11:35 AM
and by reality i mean a fictitious movie.

Spurfect
10-26-2006, 11:41 AM
but marky mark made it a specific point that nobody outside of him and sheen would know the identity of their under cover guy... i don't get how that doesn't make sense... just because something should be a certain way doesn't men it is in reality.

which is why I believe there was only ONE inside man. they could have had two cops sure but the other cop would also be protected, no one would know of HIM either except McQueen, MM, Billy, and the Sarge of the Boston PD. of course that's just all what I think but ANYWAY... I still got some unanswered question in my first post on this page ^^^

jman3000
10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
:madrun

the state police is an entirely different set of captains, sergeants etc... state and local police don't work together how i think you think they work together. at least not in this movie they don't.

Spurfect
10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
:madrun

the state police is an entirely different set of captains, sergeants etc... state and local police don't work together how i think you think they work together. at least not in this movie they don't.

you didn't get it.. nevermind

King
10-26-2006, 12:45 PM
I was under the impression that the guy accidentally (not intentionally) gave Billy the wrong address in a rush. I remember when I was watching the movie, I caught it right away (except I caught that the numbers were wrong, didn't catch the street was wrong as well). But then later as he was dying maybe that is when it came to him that he had given the wrong address and so then he was wondering how Billy found them. By then it was too late though, as he was dying, but he confronted Billy beforehand.

I saw it as they were trying to figure out who the rat was. Either because Jack told them to, or because they took it upon themselves to. He gave him the wrong address, because he suspected Costigan. I also caught the numbers, but not the street name. And I just look at it from a logical standpoint, which may be where I'm going wrong.

If you're in a rush, you call to give somebody an address. Would you realize a few hours later that you said 1221 Marshall, when you meant 1121 Mitchell? If I were to make an accident like that in a hurry, I don't think I'd realize it later.

It seemed like he was trying to set a trap for Costigan, which he fell into - but the other guy didn't have a chance to relay it back to Jack. I figured he didn't relay it back to the other guys because, what's it matter, he's dying. Sort of an honor among thieves, because most of them probably had their own agenda, despite working as a 'team,' anyway.

DirkAB
10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
If you're in a rush, you call to give somebody an address. Would you realize a few hours later that you said 1221 Marshall, when you meant 1121 Mitchell? If I were to make an accident like that in a hurry, I don't think I'd realize it later.

It seemed like he was trying to set a trap for Costigan, which he fell into - but the other guy didn't have a chance to relay it back to Jack. I figured he didn't relay it back to the other guys because, what's it matter, he's dying. Sort of an honor among thieves, because most of them probably had their own agenda, despite working as a 'team,' anyway.

That makes no sense, honor among thieves? He was a cop and the guy figured that out. I don't think that theives extend the honor to include undercover cops. And he had plenty of time to rat him out to the others - the whole car ride back to the bar.

As far as them trying to set a trap, I seriously doubt that is what was supposed to be happening, seems too stupid and far fetched for a Scorcese movie. I think that he accidently gave him the wrong address, and that is how he figured out he was a cop.

You said it was unrealistic that he realized that he gave him the wrong #, but I don't think that is neccessarily the case. If I remember right he wasn't driving when they made the call to Costigan, he was sitting shotgun, so he may have been under the impression that was the right address when he told him. When they pulled up and went into another address he may have realized his mistake and kept his mouth shut because it would be on him for the mistake, so he covered his own ass.

At that point everything went down pretty fast, they ran into the building and up the stairs and threw Sheen off. After that they hurried downstairs and leaving the building only to be shot by the police waiting outside that were tailing Sheen under Damon's orders. That guy was shot right after coming out of the building, about at the same time that he saw that Costigan had shown up despite getting the bunk address. So my theory is, he never figured out that Costigan was the rat untill he was lying there dying in the bar.

And there is no way that guy was a cop or informant, the police released that story to try and free Costigan from suspiscion of being the cop.

1Parker1
11-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Finally...I just saw this movie last night. It was surpringly good. It got a bit slow at times, but overall I liked the twists and turns and the dialogue was pretty damn funny.

Jimcs50
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Finally...I just saw this movie last night. It was surpringly good. It got a bit slow at times, but overall I liked the twists and turns and the dialogue was pretty damn funny.

Yes, but do you know the answer to my question?

:p:

1Parker1
11-06-2006, 12:07 PM
^:lol I believed it was answered by everyone else.

Jimcs50
11-06-2006, 01:29 PM
^:lol I believed it was answered by everyone else.

No, hardly...it is purely conjecture...nobody knows jackshit.

Jimcs50
11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
BTW, how come you have so much VBookie money?

:depressed

1Parker1
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
BTW, how come you have so much VBookie money?

:depressed

Cuz I'm vsmart and your not....:)