MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2006, 08:19 PM
damn...

boutons_
10-24-2006, 11:46 PM
and the -$20 promo is over 7 Nov

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 08:30 AM
League Pass also supposedly comes with free nba.com broadband.

If nba.com broadband works overseas, it might be worth the $$ for the international crew.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Hmm, maybe not:

This feature is included at no additional cost as part of your NBA LEAGUE PASS subscription, and will not be offered for sale independently.

Also:

NBA TV, a fan's all-access channel for everything basketball, is included at no additional charge with your subscription to NBA LEAGUE PASS*.

*in most markets

Bastards. :flipoff

jacobdrj
10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
better to just get NBALP and then get a slingbox type device

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, now you get the free broadband with NBALP. Slingbox wouldn't be faster than that, would it?

Chris Childs
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
?

ManuTastic
10-25-2006, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=ShoogarBear]Hmm, maybe not:

Yes, this is the part that irritates me, that they won't sell the broadband video on demand part separately. I imagine their deal with the cable companies won't let them allow users to bypass the cable payment part, but screw them. I wish the league would have balls and tell them to shove it. I would love to be able to call up games on my computer without having to pay an extra $70 a month to the cable company for all the 'packages' I need to buy in order to get league pass.
:pctoss

There are only about 5 or 6 channels I would watch on cable, but I have to pay for another 80-100 in order to get those. That's bullshit.

boutons_
10-25-2006, 02:14 PM
"Slingbox wouldn't be faster than that, would it?"

NBA and Slingbox both stream video. It's the network speed between the source and your PC that predominantly determines the quality at your PC, not the quality at the stream source.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Yes, but with Slingbox, it is getting streamed from my cable box, to my home internet connection and then to the internet, right?

I presume my home internet connection (DSL) is the slowest link in the chain, and slower than the NBA source. Cable modem is probably better, but would it still be as good?

boutons_
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
"right?"

Yes 1, if you're home access id DSL, it's probably the slowest link in the chain between your home PC and an Internet video source.

Yes 2, it would also be the slowest (up) link between your home Slingbox and your laptop in a hotel somewhere.

Yes 3, cable upload speeds (the direction Slingbox is feeeding) are usually a lot faster the DSL upload speeds.

When I'm on the road in a hotel, I watch the Spurs on my Slingbox on my TV back in San Antonio, across my GrandeCom cable home access.

I find that 500 Kbits/sec as reported by my Slingbox remote viewer is comfortable, while 1000 Kbits/sec is very pleasant. So if your DSL is 500 Kbits/sec upload, that's ok.

btw, I think there is a lot of proprietary technology used in the Slingbox server+viewer protocol that compensates better for slow connections than standard Java or Flash viewers accross non-proprietary protocols.