PDA

View Full Version : Ludden : Spurs' Udrih returns but spot not guaranteed

Bruno
10-25-2006, 03:01 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102506.01C.BKNspurs.udrih.30a490d.html

Web Posted: 10/24/2006 10:41 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Beno Udrih was back on the court Tuesday. Now the Spurs want to see if he can stay there.

Udrih participated in his first contact practice since injuring his right hamstring three weeks before training camp. The coaches were glad to see Udrih stayed on the floor for the duration, considering the 21/2-hour workout was one of the Spurs' toughest of the preseason.

"I feel great," Udrih said. "I think a couple more practices, and I'll be there."

The Spurs aren't ready to declare Udrih their backup point guard yet. They want to see how he recovers from his first practice and if he can continue to show the same effort for the rest of the week.

Though Udrih's conditioning isn't where it needs to be yet, he's confident he'll be ready to contribute, if needed, by the Nov. 2 season opener in Dallas. He hopes to get his first minutes of the preseason in Friday's final exhibition game against the Mavericks.

"I've been running, but that doesn't get me in as much shape as playing basketball, being on the court, playing defense, making all the sudden moves," he said. "I'm going to work hard and try to show every practice that I deserve that backup point guard position."

The Spurs planned for Udrih to take over that role this season until he hurt his hamstring while running sprints three weeks before training camp. He said he tried to come back two weeks later but tweaked it again.

Since then, Udrih has been relegated to working with the strength and training staffs on the sideline while his teammates practice. Coach Gregg Popovich expressed frustration early in camp over Udrih's absence by calling him the team's "fourth point guard."

If filling the starting center position is the biggest question hanging over the team, finding a backup for Tony Parker is next in line.

While Udrih was out, the Spurs used Jacque Vaughn and Brent Barry. Vaughn has been inconsistent while trying to learn the system, and Barry has looked best at off-guard. As a result, Udrih might still be the team's best option — provided he can stay healthy.

"The most frustrated was me," Udrih said. "I wanted to be out there. But you can't do nothing about it. When you get hurt, you get hurt."

Udrih said he was still a little nervous about re-injuring the hamstring until he went to the team's practice facility Monday with his father and a friend to play some one-on-one. On Tuesday, he participated in all of the team's drills, its three scrimmage sessions and completed all the conditioning work.

Udrih said he'll need some time to adjust to the new ball — "When you're trying to pass," he said, "it sticks on your hand" — but he shot fairly well and made a few hustle plays. The coaches, however, tempered their praise, wanting to see how he performs the rest of the week.

"I thought he looked good," Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer said. "But he's still a little rusty on where to be and with his conditioning.

"We want to see if he can be sharp in a competitive kind of way, where he always knows the game situation, where he's not always making a mental mistake or lazy mistake."

The Spurs don't doubt Udrih's talent. He needs to get tougher defensively and be better prepared on a night-to-night basis, but he plays with a good pace, passes well and is a steady shooter.

In addition to assessing whether Udrih is capable enough to begin the season as the backup point guard, the Spurs also have until next Tuesday to decide whether to pick up the fourth-year option on his rookie contract. If not, he'll become a free agent at the end of the season.

Provided Udrih doesn't have any significant setbacks, the team is expected to pick up the option, which costs only $1.75 million. Even if the Spurs later decide to trade Udrih, teams would value him more if they know he'll be under contract next season.

"We haven't talked about that yet," Udrih said. "I like playing for the Spurs and, of course, I want to stay here.

"But I'm just thinking about getting back in shape and doing my best on the court in practice."

Notebook: The Spurs are the favorites to win the NBA championship this season in the league's annual general managers survey.

Twelve of the 28 general managers who participated in the poll selected the Spurs to win their fourth title. Dallas, which beat the Spurs in last season's Western Conference semifinals and lost to Miami in the NBA Finals, finished second with eight votes. The defending champion Heat received four votes.

The Mavericks were picked to win the Southwest Division over the Spurs.

The Spurs were overwhelming favorites to win the championship in last year's survey.

AFBlue
10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
If there are no "tweaks" and he gets on the floor for the last exhibition game, he might just be the #2 guy by the start of the season. By the end of the first week, it's going to be a foregone conclusion that he's the #2 option.

I like the thought about keeping vaughn on the active roster for the first couple games just in case Beno looks uncomfortable though.

angel_luv
10-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Let's go Beno.

"I've been running, but that doesn't get me in as much shape as playing basketball, being on the court, playing defense, making all the sudden moves," he said. "I'm going to work hard and try to show every practice that I deserve that backup point guard position."

:tu

ploto
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
I have always liked the pace at which Beno plays the game. I still believe he is more of a natural point guard than Tony, but I am still waiting for the day to see it all come together for him. I often wonder if maybe it came too easy when he was young- if he had so much natural ability that he didn't have to work as hard as some. Believe it or not, he was somewhat of a phenom. At one time he was considered the best European point guard of his age- those born in 1982- and that includes Tony Parker.

SequSpur
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Devin Brown is a better fit for 1.75 million. Beno can't even bring up the ball. I can shoot a wide open jumper.

ashbeeigh
10-25-2006, 11:05 AM
"The most frustrated was me," Udrih said. "I wanted to be out there. But you can't do nothing about it. When you get hurt, you get hurt."

Two negatives don't make a positive in the English language, correct? I was reading this on my way to class today and that caught my eye. Man, that was annoying.

FromWayDowntown
10-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Two negatives don't make a positive in the English language, correct? I was reading this on my way to class today and that caught my eye. Man, that was annoying.

The Express-News sports staff seems to have taken the approach of quoting players verbatim, rather than trying to clean up what they've said without changing its meaning. I think it's noticeable in a lot of quotes Ludden and Monroe get from Tony, in particular.

Mr. Body
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
... because English is his native language and he should speak it perfectly...

FromWayDowntown
10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
... because English is his native language and he should speak it perfectly...

I agree. I admire all of these guys and their ability to communicate effectively in a second language. I took two years of Spanish in high school and another 4 semesters of it in college, but if I had to converse with Spanish-speakers and subject my statements to print media, I'm certain I'd come off sounding like a toddler or something. I wonder why the E-N is insistent on direct quoting the players (apparently); perhaps they tried to clean a quote up and got burned on it.

SpurYank
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Ashbeeigh, how annoyed are you with our president? For that matter, with the majority of professional sports stars?

T Park
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I have always liked the pace at which Beno plays the game. I still believe he is more of a natural point guard than Tony, but I am still waiting for the day to see it all come together for him. I often wonder if maybe it came too easy when he was young- if he had so much natural ability that he didn't have to work as hard as some. Believe it or not, he was somewhat of a phenom. At one time he was considered the best European point guard of his age- those born in 1982- and that includes Tony Parker.

good god.....

ashbeeigh
10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Ashbeeigh, how annoyed are you with our president? For that matter, with the majority of professional sports stars?

It was just a statement. I'm well aware that English isn't his native language and understand it fully because I've had to communicate in a second non-native language as well. I just noticied it this time. Dubya's another thread in himself and the professional athlete's language has always been that way. I'm not offended or anything.

ploto
10-25-2006, 01:05 PM
good god.....
What? This is true- just because you didn't know about him at the time doesn't make it false.

At one time he was considered the best European point guard of his age- those born in 1982- and that includes Tony Parker.

Supergirl
10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Mixed messages coming out of camp. there was another article posted that said Vaughn was fitting in well, playing good D, and was looking like our best option as back up PG.

Udrih has a tremendous upside, if he can get tougher. He could be a starting PG someday, though not for the Spurs, since he'll never be better than Parker.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Beno will never be a regular NBA starter.

Slomo
10-25-2006, 02:58 PM
What? This is true- just because you didn't know about him at the time doesn't make it false.

At one time he was considered the best European point guard of his age- those born in 1982- and that includes Tony Parker. I believe it was the junior Euro championships where people/journalists were saying he was better than Tony.

Of course Tony has come a long way since then and has done what I concider a prime task for young NBA players - improved his game every single season.

But even the most adament critics of Beno acknowledge his talent, unfortunately there's enough other stuff to criticize.

ploto
10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
^ I agree completely.

My point was that at one time he was considered that good and it was probably very much due to natural talent- at that young of an age. I am not in any way discrediting what Tony has done. I am merely saying that Beno has a lot of potential and I try to figure why he can't quite seem to develop it. It has been my observation that sometimes those who didn't have to work as hard early on have more difficulty when they get to the level at which their natural talent isn't enough. On the other hand, those who had to work harder all along sometimes achieve more with lesser natural gifts.

T Park
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Samaki Walker is another good example of that. Lots of american players have been like that.

Beno is prob one of the few and first euros to be like that.

Just gotta accept hes damaged goods and hope you could get something for him.

temujin
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM

When was this EXACT second in which this happened?

Slomo
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Samaki Walker is another good example of that. Lots of american players have been like that.

Beno is prob one of the few and first euros to be like that.I agree with the first part, but I don't think he's the first Euro to get into that position (Zarko Paspalj was a really good player at some point :) ).

And it's hard to let go because you see it as a waste of a good thing. But like with other things in life at some point you have to.

Bruno
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Beno's words are great in this article but it's only words ...
I'm quite happy that Spurs picks Beno's option : he is a talented player and I don't think it's too late for him to become a very good player.

timvp
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Beno is and has always been a super talent. He's a good three point shooter. He has one of the best pull up jumper I've ever seen. He's a good passer and has always played great off the pick and roll.

No one can ever say Beno isn't talented. But they can say that he approaches the game like he doesn't give a crap. He's in horrible shape for being an NBA point guard, which hurts him in ballhandling, defense and other areas. He's not always there mentally when he's on the court. He's never been accused of being a hard worker in practice or a student of the game. And of course, he's a wimp when it comes to injuries.

I'm hoping this tough love by Pop and the rest of the coaching staff can help Beno snap into reality. If he doesn't start putting in the extra effort, he's going to be playing in Europe this time next year. He has a chance to be one of the better backup PGs in the league, but he has to get in shape and take his job more seriously.

Cut down on the partying and put in time in the weight room and staying late in practice.

ducks
10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
beno with duncan's work ethic this summer
beno would be in great shape

ATX Spur
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I agree. I admire all of these guys and their ability to communicate effectively in a second language. I took two years of Spanish in high school and another 4 semesters of it in college, but if I had to converse with Spanish-speakers and subject my statements to print media, I'm certain I'd come off sounding like a toddler or something. I wonder why the E-N is insistent on direct quoting the players (apparently); perhaps they tried to clean a quote up and got burned on it.

I'd rather the Express News (and all newspapers for that matter) give direct quotes. There's too much chance for something to be missed if you try to clean up someone's words. It changes the meaning, and you can be responsible for libel.

Also, we can give the guy a break. I'd rather him speak in english double negatives than in a Slovenian language I can't understand.

Spurologist
10-25-2006, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the preview of Beno's Biography book coming out.

It's aptly named, "Fat, turnover prone, and still living in the past when I was actually worth a shit"

There's hope though. I'll put him in the Kwame Brown category of "he still has a lot of potential"

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
"We want to see if he can be sharp in a competitive kind of way, where he always knows the game situation, where he's not always making a mental mistake or lazy mistake."

When your coach calls you lazy, you need to wake the fuck up and start busting your ass at the gym every day.

blackbucket
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I believe in Beno and think he can and will get his act together. He needs the Spurs and it is for damn sure the Spurs will need him this season if they are going to win an NBA title. Beno, pull your head out of your ass and lets get this 06-07 championship year on the road!

Obstructed_View
10-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Beno is and has always been a super talent. He's a good three point shooter. He has one of the best pull up jumper I've ever seen. He's a good passer and has always played great off the pick and roll.

No one can ever say Beno isn't talented. But they can say that he approaches the game like he doesn't give a crap. He's in horrible shape for being an NBA point guard, which hurts him in ballhandling, defense and other areas. He's not always there mentally when he's on the court. He's never been accused of being a hard worker in practice or a student of the game. And of course, he's a wimp when it comes to injuries.

I'm hoping this tough love by Pop and the rest of the coaching staff can help Beno snap into reality. If he doesn't start putting in the extra effort, he's going to be playing in Europe this time next year. He has a chance to be one of the better backup PGs in the league, but he has to get in shape and take his job more seriously.

Cut down on the partying and put in time in the weight room and staying late in practice.

Is it strange that I agree 100 percent with the above? To this point I don't think I'd ever heard Beno saying the right things, which at least he's doing now. We'll see where that goes.