PDA

View Full Version : Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox political ad

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox political ad
Conservative talk show host accuses actor of faking Parkinson's disease

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408508/

To Rush Limbaugh on Monday, Michael J. Fox looked like a faker. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, has done a series of political ads supporting candidates who favor stem cell research, including Maryland Democrat Ben Cardin, who is running against Republican Michael Steele for the Senate seat being vacated by Paul Sarbanes.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

Limbaugh, whose syndicated radio program has a weekly audience of about 10 million, was reacting to Fox's appearance in another one of the spots, for Missouri Democrat Claire McCaskill, running against Republican Sen. James M. Talent.

• Full politics coverage

But the Cardin ad is similar. It is hard to watch, unless, for some reason, you don't believe it. As he speaks, Fox's restless torso weaves and writhes in a private dance. His head bobs from side to side, almost leaving the video frame.

"This is the only time I've ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has," Limbaugh said. "He can barely control himself."

'A shameless statement'
Later Monday, still on the air, Limbaugh would apologize, but reaction to his statements from Parkinson's experts and Fox's supporters was swift and angry.

"It's a shameless statement," John Rogers said yesterday. Rogers, Fox's political adviser, who also serves on the board of the Parkinson's Action Network, added: "It's insulting. It's appallingly sad, at best."

Related content
Vote: Did Limbaugh's comments go too far?
Discuss your thoughts on this story

"Anyone who knows the disease well would regard his movement as classic severe Parkinson's disease," said Elaine Richman, a neuroscientist in Baltimore who co-wrote "Parkinson's Disease and the Family." "Any other interpretation is misinformed."

Fox was campaigning yesterday for Tammy Duckworth, a congressional candidate, outside Chicago, when he alluded to Limbaugh's remarks. "It's ironic, given some of the things that have been said in the last couple of days, that my pills are working really well right now," he said, according to a report on the CBS2 Web site.

After his apology, Limbaugh shifted his ground and renewed his attack on Fox.

"Now people are telling me they have seen Michael J. Fox in interviews and he does appear the same way in the interviews as he does in this commercial," Limbaugh said, according to a transcript on his Web site. "All right then, I stand corrected. . . . So I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox, if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act."

Then Limbaugh pivoted to a different critique: "Michael J. Fox is allowing his illness to be exploited and in the process is shilling for a Democratic politician."

'Hope to millions of Americans'
Limbaugh's shock at Fox's appearance is a measure of the disease's devastation, advocates say. Contrary to the charge that Fox might not take his medicine to enhance his symptoms, the medicine produces some of the uncontrolled body movements.

"Stem cell research offers hope to millions of Americans with diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's," Fox says in the Cardin ad. "But George Bush and Michael Steele would put limits on the most promising stem cell research."

Fox has appeared in ABC's "Boston Legal" this season. In his scenes, taped over the summer, Fox does not shake or loll his head as he does in the Cardin commercial, but does appear to be restraining himself, appearing almost rigid at times.

A source with direct knowledge of Fox's illness who viewed the Cardin ad said Fox is not acting to exaggerate the effects of the disease. The source said Fox's scenes in "Boston Legal" had to be taped around his illness, as he worked to control the tremors associated with Parkinson's for limited periods of time.

Staff writer Frank Ahrens contributed to this report.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Why is this man still allowed to be on radio? He is a total jerk and a convicted drug user. Who is he to criticize anyone?

KEDA
10-25-2006, 09:44 AM
funny how Michael J Fox looks pretty normal on Boston Legal though.

I think he stopped taking his meds on purpose, and that is wrong.

I am for stem cell research, but not taking your meds to get people to vote for your candidate is silly and wrong IMO.

samikeyp
10-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Rarely do I disagree with Brother Billy but here I would have too. I think by not taking his meds, it emphasizes what this disease can do to a person and just how important this research can be. Just my .02

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 09:53 AM
He's going to get worse regardless, and the meds won't help.

Spam
10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Rush Limpballs sucks ass and mocking anybody's illness is just WRONG.

KEDA
10-25-2006, 10:02 AM
I understand that he is going to get worse, and that it is a terrible disease, but to do so in favor of politics is wrong.

I guess that is what Im trying to say.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:04 AM
funny how Michael J Fox looks pretty normal on Boston Legal though.

You do realize that he has to struggle through every scene and they have to constantly break in taping so that he can try to get the shaking under control, right?

KEDA
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
yes I do

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
yes I do

Then how did you conclude he stopped taking his meds for political reasons?

Contrary to the charge that Fox might not take his medicine to enhance his symptoms, the medicine produces some of the uncontrolled body movements.

Spam
10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe Rush is just pissed because he can't shop for his pills anymore.

u2sarajevo
10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Limbaugh is a fool. I agree with him politically(for the most part) but he has become a pain in the side of Conservatives along with alot of the ones in power today.

He has become blinded into thinking he can say what he wants as long as it advances the Repubs agenda no matter who or what gets hurt along the way.

From McNabb being overrated (how did that work out for him?), to this latest debacle... it's clear that we should only look to him for entertainment purposes and stop taking him seriously (if anyone ever did...).

Anything less than an apology on his radio show will do nothing more than reinforce my decision to turn the dial 10 years ago and stop listening to him.

I might turn back to his show on November 8th when the Democrats retake the House. That could be very entertaining radio. At least I would have something to stop the need of puking on the newspaper.

Pathetic.

AlamoSpursFan
10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Fox has admitted that he doesn't take his meds when filming spots like that one so that the effects of the disease are more pronounced.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Actually I believe he only admitted to going off his meds before testifying before Congress. That was in his book.

Spam
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Fox has admitted that he doesn't take his meds when filming spots like that one so that the effects of the disease are more pronounced.

That is no excuse for Rush's actions.

KEDA
10-25-2006, 10:21 AM

I had read this as well, thats why I dont agree with it.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:28 AM

So you don't agree that he has a right to show how bad the disease is (whether he's on or off medication) and you'd rather he "act" like he does in Boston Legal?

That seems ridiculous.

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 10:29 AM

My belief is that he does this to show the effects of the disease that others may not otherwise be aware of. Seeing, for some, is believing.

Melmart1
10-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Not everyone wtih Parkinson's can afford the expensive medications, and like it has been said, they sometimes help produce the effect you see on TV. I dont care whether he takes his meds or not for the ads, Congress etc- people need to see what this does to PEOPLE, not just Fox himself.

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 10:31 AM

What a total idiotic statement.

What is wrong with showing what the disease has done to his life???? Who wants to have to take medications every day just to be able to halfway function? The medications do not work at all after you have been on them for a couple of years, so his time is running out.

The point is, we need to use everything in our power to try to help people and to try to eliminate this horrible disease. The ban on this research is asinine and is totally without merit.

angel_luv
10-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I think Fox is sincere in his efforts. It's not like he has to make a name for himself; he's been a star for a long time.
I think he is using the influence his has to help people who have the same great need but aren't listened to as well

Sportcamper
10-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Misinformation Overload: Michael J Fox Lied...The candidate is for Adult Stem Cell Research... But against Embryonic Stem Cell Research ... In order to harvest human embryonic stem cells, one must destroy a living human embryo....

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Point is Rush's remarks were disgusting and pathetic....which really doesn't surprise me.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Rush is just mad because Michael J. is still able to get pills from his doctor.

EDIT: aahhh, Spam beat me to it.

SA210
10-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Evil and selfish comments by Rush.

That poor man (Fox) is trying to make a change and show the true effects of his disease. What, are we supposed to act like it's not there? I know it's simpler to avoid alot of problems and sweep them under a rug, right? Anyone who believes that it's normal and ok to take pills for the rest of your life needs a reality check. It kills your insides over time and you'll eventually die of some other disease like cancer.

Let's get him and others the help they need.

Man, I grew up watching his movies, my own personal favorite that I think was his best and most underrated was a drama, Casualties of War, a true story that Fox really believed he should make, even it didn't make a cent. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It's about a squad of American soldiers in Vietnam who kidnap a girl from a village and take her on their patrol. They abuse her, rape her and murder her and Fox tries to save her and goes against the rest of the squad and refuses to participate in the rape of the poor girl. They try to kill him for reporting it to his superiors and he makes sure that her story gets out, but he lives with the alot pain because he wasn't able to stop them.

It hardly made any money, mainly because, I think, people didn't want to see that our soldiers did something like that, but it was a very good film and I thought Fox and Sean Penn were great in it. It's a true story and it's directed by Brian De Palma.

It really saddens me to see a role model of mine like this with this disease. My childhood wasn't all that bright, but one of the good things I can remember was watching Michael J. Fox's movies, like Back to The Future and Teen Wolf, etc. This is something very personal for me and I'll support him.

God bless you Mike.

RandomGuy
10-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Go here if you want to see the whole thing, with a transcript.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200610240001

And in this commercial, he is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He is moving all around and shaking. And it's purely an act. This is the only time I have ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has.

this is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting, one of the two.

In fairness, Limbaugh does set up the bit mentioned above by SA210:

So I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act, especially since people are telling me they have seen him this way on other interviews and in other television appearances.

My point is that he shoots off the cuff like this so much, and is found to be wrong like this in no small number of instances, that one has to really consider taking what he says a little less seriously. He doesn't deserve the hero-worship of anybody, as so many do.

RandomGuy
10-25-2006, 01:05 PM
I understand that he is going to get worse, and that it is a terrible disease, but to do so in favor of politics is wrong.

I guess that is what Im trying to say.

Is it really wrong to advocate research into a disease? Politics is about who gets what.

If you think something should be done about "X" and think that one candidate or another is better at doing something about "X" it is wrong to stump for them?

By that same logic, burn victims who stump for burn research are wrong, or any other disease for that matter.

Raising public awareness of serious diseases is not a bad thing, as it is too easy to ignore them otherwise. A fact that Limbaugh himself points out, hypocritically in my opinion.

I think it would only be honest to admit that the only reason you or Rush might be upset is that the stumping was for a candidate/party you don't like, isn't it?

That may stray dangerously close to politics for this forum, but I would find it much more honest if Rush would say something similar about people who stump for GOP candidates in the same way. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

IceColdBrewski
10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
I think Rush kinda prides himself on being the Howard Stern of political talk radio. I'll never understand why liberals always get their panties in a wad over his shtick. Rush is to the right what Kieth Olberman is to the left. Both are good for a few minutes of over-the-top entertainment, then I have to change the channel.

DirkAB
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Rush is a fat hypocritical piece of shit. Why anybody would even listen to his show is beyond me, arrogant fuck. Ann Coulter and him ought to go toss each others salads.

2centsworth
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Then how did you conclude he stopped taking his meds for political reasons?
because he admitted to doing so in his book.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Ok, lets say for a second he did stop taking his meds for the spot...

Why on earth would that be wrong?

Spam
10-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Rush stopped taking his drugs for legal reasons.

George W Bush
10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Rush stopped taking his drugs for legal reasons.

I'm George W Bush and I approve this message. :lol

sandman
10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
I like Michael J Fox as an actor. I am encouraged by his courage in dealing with this disease. I understand his desire to promote stem cell research.

But am I the only one who catches the irony of a Canadian High School Drop-Out Vegan stumping for an American political candidate in Chicago, home of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago-style pizza and Kielbasa?

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
He's an American citizen, FYI.

sandman
10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
He's an American citizen, so he can do as he pleases.

Pointing out the irony does not constitute an argument of censorship. :rolleyes

Of course, his oath six years ago for the express purpose of becoming politically involved was done in a secret ceremony. Guess he didn't want to alienate the home folk.

He has a right to stump for whatever candidate he chooses. His voice carries louder as a victim of Parkinson's than it does as an actor. I simply hope that he does not confuse the relevance of the two like many actors these days who have nothing to say, but think that the SAG status makes that nothing into something important.

Opinionater
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
IMHO, Rush believes his "celebrity" status gives his opinion more importance when all he is an entertainer himself. He has no credentials other than his star status.

sandman
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
IMHO, Rush believes his "celebrity" status gives his opinion more importance when all he is an entertainer himself. He has no credentials other than his star status.

Who is defending the comments that Rush made? For that matter, who is defending Rush at all?

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Pointing out the irony does not constitute an argument of censorship.What does that even mean? I just said FYI in case you didn't know or chose to leave that fact out.
Of course, his oath six years ago for the express purpose of becoming politically involved was done in a secret ceremony. Guess he didn't want to alienate the home folk.Guess he wanted some privacy.
He has a right to stump for whatever candidate he chooses. His voice carries louder as a victim of Parkinson's than it does as an actor. I simply hope that he does not confuse the relevance of the two like many actors these days who have nothing to say, but think that the SAG status makes that nothing into something important.I wholeheartedly agree.

-- Sincerely,

Ronald Reagan, two time President of the Screen Actors Guild

sandman
10-25-2006, 03:45 PM
What does that even mean? I just said FYI in case you didn't know or chose to leave that fact out.Guess he wanted some privacy.I wholeheartedly agree.

-- Sincerely,

Ronald Reagan, two time President of the Screen Actors Guild

No, you originally stated that he was an American so he can do as he pleases, implying that my comments were against his right to free speech. Nice edit of your post though. Even nicer attempt to feign innocence regarding what you originally posted. Does your Mod status allow you to make changes without the "post edited" clause that the rest of us have? btw, this is not a personal attack so don't lock the thread, OK?

WTF with the Reagan reference? I believe the man proved that he had something important to say. I believe that MJF does as well, but I already stated that.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
No, you originally stated that he was an American so he can do as he pleasesHe can.
implying that my comments were against his right to free speech.Nah, I was stating that he was as American as you or I.
Nice edit of your post though.Sue me.
Even nicer attempt to feign innocence regarding what you originally posted.Nah, it's the same thing. I'd stand by either statement. You either wanted to imply he wasn't a citizen or were ignorant of it. That's nice of you.
Does your Mod status allow you to make changes without the "post edited" clause that the rest of us have?Nope, I don't know the time limit, but if you edit it within the first minute or so, the "edited" message doesn't show. Try it.
WTF with the Reagan reference?WTF is with the SAG card reference?
I believe the man proved that he had something important to say. I believe that MJF does as well, but I already stated that.Then leave it at that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-25-2006, 04:41 PM
I've read this thread, and I find it interesting how misinformed some people are about Parkinson's Disease.

The meds for Parkinson's are almost as devestating as the disease itself. They wreak havoc on a person's digestive system and other vital organs, cause extreme drowsiness, affect a person's ability to think clearly and can make a person feel absolutely exhausted most of the time. Unfortunately they're all that's available to help control the symptoms of the disease. They're not even close to being a cure. What's worse is that there is only a limited amount of time that the meds work because your body builds up a tolerance for the drugs, and once that happens you either have to increase the dosage to dangerously high levels or experiment with some other drug that may or may not work.

Once you're on the meds, it's extremely difficult to go off of them. Your body develops a certain dependency on them, and if you go off the meds you risk almost total paralysis until you can get back on the medications for a while and your give your body a chance to readjust to taking them. It's not like popping aspirin...you can't just say "hey, I feel a symptom" and pop a pill or two. It's a several week process to try to go off the meds and then back on them again.

If Michael Fox went off his meds to film these political ads, it speaks more to his strength of character than to any attempt to "act" sick. In my opinion, what people see on a television show when he's medicated and holding himself rigid for a shot is far more "acting" than what you see in those political ads. Stem cell research is the only area where strides are being made to find a cure for this illness and I'm proud of Michael Fox for his courage, and his efforts to get the right folks in office who can provide enough open-minded thinking to find a cure for these sort of diseases.

On a personal note, my Dad died in August from a pulmonary embellism that was brought on by a side-effect of his Parkinson's. He went from still being able to play basketball at the gym with his four sons in August of 2001 to no longer being here in August of 2006 at the age of 63, with a lot of suffering thrown in between. There currently isn't a cure to this illness, but I certainly hope and pray that the medical community is given the ability to openly search for one.

sandman
10-25-2006, 04:42 PM
He can.

Never said he couldn't. You created a rebuttal over nothing.

Nah, I was stating that he was as American as you or I.

Technically no, because he is naturalized, but we all share the same rights of citizenship. Add the fact that he desired citizenship purely for policital purposes.

Sue me.

Something tells me it would not be worth it. And I don't want all my future threads blocked.

Nah, it's the same thing. I'd stand by either statement. You either wanted to imply he wasn't a citizen or were ignorant of it. That's nice of you.

I could care less if you made the edit. I found it humorous that you claim to have "just said FYI" when that was an edited post.

As far as being a citizen, yes I was aware that he was a citizen, but that does not mean he is no longer Canadian. Heck, 5th generation San Antonians still call themselves Mexicans. People identify with their heritage.

Nope, I don't know the time limit, but if you edit it within the first minute or so, the "edited" message doesn't show. Try it.

I shall.

WTF is with the SAG card reference?

It was a reference that focused on politically active actors who have an inflated sense of self-importance simply because they are actors. Many actors have shunned a decent education and have done nothing with their lives outside of the entertainment industry, but are supposed to be a voice for the people of America? Sorry that the connotation went over your head.

Then leave it at that.

Wow. Do I have wait to speak again until your pompous ass gives me permission? :rolleyes

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
What about Game 4 starter status?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/sports/baseball/25suppancnd.html?hp&ex=1161835200&en=34d29f629edabe09&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Cardinals' Suppan Pitching and Politicking
By JOE LAPOINTE

ST. LOUIS, Oct. 25 — Jeff Suppan is scheduled to pitch for the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 4 of the World Series tonight at Busch Stadium. But his time on the mound will not be his only appearance on the telecast.

Mr. Suppan is one of several athletes who taped a 60-second political campaign commercial, to be broadcast on the Fox network’s national telecast of the game, urging Missouri voters to oppose stem-cell research and vote against Amendment 2 to the state constitution, on the ballot in the Nov. 7 election.

In a video copy of the ad, distributed by an anti-amendment group called Missourians Against Human Cloning and posted on the Internet, Mr. Suppan’s face appears in the first 10 seconds. He is not wearing a baseball cap in the ad.

“Amendment 2 claims it bans human cloning, but in the 2,000 words you don’t read, it makes cloning a constitutional right,” Mr. Suppan says in the ad. “Don’t be deceived.”

Other athletes who appear in the ad are Kurt Warner of the Arizona Cardinals football team, who formerly played with the St. Louis Rams, and Mike Sweeney of the Kansas City Royals baseball team. James Caviezel, the actor who played Jesus in the film “The Passion of the Christ,” also appears.

The stem-cell research issue has moved to the center of the Missouri Senate campaign between Jim Talent, the Republican incumbent, and Claire McCaskill, the Democratic challenger. Mr. Talent opposes the amendment; Ms. McCaskill supports it.

The actor Michael J. Fox, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease — one of many conditions that researchers hope to cure through stem-cell research — has taped a commercial supporting Ms. McCaskill and her stand on the issue.

Because that ad ran during an earlier World Series telecast, opponents of the amendment decided to respond in kind, even though the Senate election and the research amendment are state issues that only Missourians will vote on.

Connie Farrow, a spokeswoman for a group that favors the amendment, the Missouri Coalition for Life-Saving Cures, said that even though Mr. Suppan was one of her favorite Cardinal pitchers, she disagreed with his statements in the ad and would prefer the opinions of medical experts on questions of science.

“He’s wrong — respectfully, I say that,” Ms. Farrow said of Mr. Suppan in a telephone interview. “I would ask Jeff Suppan why Missourians don’t deserve to be treated the same as other Americans when it comes to health care.”

A spokeswoman for the anti-amendment group that distributed the ad said she was not authorized to speak to the media about it, but would try to arrange for an authorized representative to comment later today.

PM5K
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Interesting, the Pro Stem Cell people use Michael J Fox, someone who suffers from a disease that could possibly be cured by stem cell research, and those who oppose it use athletes and actors....

sandman
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Because that ad ran during an earlier World Series telecast, opponents of the amendment decided to respond in kind, even though the Senate election and the research amendment are state issues that only Missourians will vote on.

Interesting. Get the nation talking about it and pressure the locals. Missouri will be a precedent for other states to follow. Big time stakes involved here. Hopefully they consider all the relavent facts and not "personality" pleas from the right or the left, Mr Fox included.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 05:03 PM
And Rush is from Missouri, so the circle is complete.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 05:03 PM
EHJ, Sorry about your dad.

boutons_
10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
"Missourians Against Human Cloning"

Gotta love the lies in their choice of group name.

A lie being that anybody against this group is FOR human cloning (false)

A lie being that anybody FOR stem cell reserach is FOR human cloning (false)

A lie being that stem cell reseach EQUALS human cloning (false)

Do sheeple really fall for these lies?

You can never misunderestimate the stupidity of the The Great American Sheeple.

Fuck sheeple

Fuck Missourians Against Human Cloning

And why not fuck Missouri, too? (gave us the gift of John Ashcroft) :lol

sandman
10-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Interesting, the Pro Stem Cell people use Michael J Fox, someone who suffers from a disease that could possibly be cured by stem cell research, and those who oppose it use athletes and actors....

Um, Michael J Fox is an actor. And one of his closest friends is Cam Neely, Hall of Fame hockey player, whose Cancer Foundation is closely tied to Fox's Parkinson's Foundation. Guess both sides are guilty of playing that card, eh?

Be intellectually honest and admit that if they threw Joe Construction Worker suffering from Parkinson's in front of the camera, it would not be as interesting or heart tugging as hearing from an actor that everyone loves.

sandman
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
EHJ, Sorry about your dad.

EHJ, forgive me for letting the banter of the thread cause me to fail in saying than you for your post.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I could care less if you made the edit.You cared so little you complained about it. Understood.
Add the fact that he desired citizenship purely for policital purposes.He lives here and he wants to vote. You talk like that's a bad thing. You sound like you don't want him to be able to vote.
Wow. Do I have wait to speak again until your pompous ass gives me permission?Yeah, you're oppressed. Please whine about that more.
It was a reference that focused on politically active actors who have an inflated sense of self-importance simply because they are actors.You obviously don't know any actors.

sandman
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
You obviously don't know any actors.

What else can I say in rebuttal to that? You closed all agruments and made me feel inferior at the same time because I don't know any actors.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 05:35 PM
What else can I say in rebuttal to that? You closed all agruments and made me feel inferior at the same time because I don't know any actors.If you did, you'd know they all have an inflated sense of self-importance.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
And, yes -- I edited that post to include your quote.

sandman
10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
btw, earlier this year MJF was still being referred to as a "fellow Canadian" on Cam Neely's web site

http://www.camneelyfoundation.com/news_events/press_releases_detail.php?id=60

When Cam Neely was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last fall, fellow Canadian Michael J. Fox was in the audience with his mom. "Cam's like her third son," Fox told us the other day. "I had to be there. It's kind of like being Italian and your friend makes pope."

Additionally, there is no reference on his own Foundation web site that he is an American citizen, while there is plenty of reference to his Canadian upbringing.

I find it interesting that his being an American citizen is seemingly only prevelant when politics are involved.

NOTE: I personally like MJF. I support every last one of his efforts to bring Parkinson's to the forefront of the nation's attention, even if I do not agree with some of his viewpoints on the best way to find a cure. I am suspect a bit in the way that he is using his celebrity status and citizenship politically, but that is a completely different issue from his fight with Parkinson's.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
btw, earlier this year MJF was still being referred to as a "fellow Canadian" on Cam Neely's web siteAre you seriously trying to use that as a talking point? Dude is an American citizen. Who lives in America. It's no secret.

KEDA
10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I could care less if he is an American or not, I do care that he has Parkensons. I do care that he is doing whatever he needs to get the appropriate health care. What I dont like is that he is using his power as a hollywood superstar to influence my vote. (yes, I know I contradicted myself there)

I have felt this way about all people with "power", Republican or Democrat.

I feef for everyone that suffers from disease or physical ailment, trust me I know how it feels to have someone with a handicap. But I just dont like it when people influence me and my decisions.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 08:27 PM
I could care less if he is an American or not, I do care that he has Parkensons. I do care that he is doing whatever he needs to get the appropriate health care. What I dont like is that he is using his power as a hollywood superstar to influence my vote. (yes, I know I contradicted myself there)

I feef for everyone that suffers from disease or physical ailment, trust me I know how it feels to have someone with a handicap. But I just dont like it when people influence me and my decisions.

So because he happens to be a tv star, he shouldn't lobby for stuff he believes in... for something he suffers from? It's not like he doesn't have any knowledge of the topic.

So who do you want to influence you? Just people without money/"power"?

WTF?

Your responses in this thread today have mystified me. Especially your initial thought, "funny how Michael J Fox looks pretty normal on Boston Legal though."

PM5K
10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
So because he happens to be a tv star, he shouldn't lobby for stuff he believes in... for something he suffers from? It's not like he doesn't have any knowledge of the topic.

WTF?

Your responses in this thread today have mystified me. Especially your initial thought, "funny how Michael J Fox looks pretty normal on Boston Legal though."

Man Kori has outright owned you in this thread...

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2006, 08:58 PM

I was going to answer your post, but I think Kori up there sumed up what I was going to say. How does him being famous undermine what his beliefs are? and if it doesn't why is him lobying for those beliefs wrong? I don't get where you're coming from.

Ocotillo
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
After his apology, Limbaugh shifted his ground and renewed his attack on Fox.

"Now people are telling me they have seen Michael J. Fox in interviews and he does appear the same way in the interviews as he does in this commercial," Limbaugh said, according to a transcript on his Web site. "All right then, I stand corrected. . . . So I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox, if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act."

That's an apology?

KEDA
10-25-2006, 10:39 PM

"funny how Michael J Fox looks pretty normal on Boston Legal though."

I dont like anyone to influence my vote, I like to make my own decisions in the political arena.

And yes Kori, I am aware that it takes Mr. Fox probably 50 times the effort to do the work of the other actors. I just grow tired of people trying to influence others to vote, let the American public make their own decisions.

this is why I dont ever visit the political forum.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2006, 10:50 PM
I dont like anyone to influence my vote, I like to make my own decisions in the political arena.

And yes Kori, I am aware that it takes Mr. Fox probably 50 times the effort to do the work of the other actors. I just grow tired of people trying to influence others to vote, let the American public make their own decisions.

so how exactly do you decide what to vote for? if you don't like people influencing your vote http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Seriously, wether you like it or not, you're always influenced by someone or something. Why not stem cell researchs potential for curing Parkinsons, and why not M.J Fox, who carries the desease and knows what its like?

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Just watching the news, reading the newspaper, the internet, political and non-political ads, commercials, billboards, radio, TV, magazine articles and just plain reading influences our lives everyday. Unless you live in a box you are influenced directly or indirectly.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 10:53 PM

I guess I would think you could see it as getting educated on the topic, rather than see it as someone trying to wrongly and bias-ly sway you in a bad direction.

I just really took offense to your original point of "funny how Michael J Fox looks pretty normal on Boston Legal though." You sound like the same crap as Limbaugh -- insinuating that if MJF looks fine on Boston Legal, then he must be "acting" and faking his disease on the ads. Which is utter bullshit. It's the other way around, he "acts" on Boston Legal and what you see in the ad is the real effects of a terrible disease.

I assume you avoid watching any TV regarding anything political, then. So how do you decide who to vote for? Do you vote straight party? Eenie meanie miney mo for proposition and bond issues?

Because God forbid you actually read or watch the candidates or other people in "power" express their viewpoints. We wouldn't want anyone swaying you. :lol

Seriously, how do you decide if you don't want to listen or watch?

Ocotillo
10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Video of Limbaugh in action (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/10/25/olbermann-gives-us-the-visual-to-limbaughs-attack-on-michael-j-fox/)

The above link is a segment from Keith Olbermann's Countdown It's a little over seven minutes long but the first couple of minutes you get to see Rush saying his piece via the "Ditto Cam".

Ocotillo
10-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Looks like el Rushbo has been hittin' the buffets again.

KEDA
10-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I listen to and read who I trust.

I watch the political debates when I can, I see how each candidate reacts to given issues. I try to balance news form the media outlets as most of them are biased one way or the other. I take each group (CNN, FOX, NBC, CBS is so bad I dont even consider them) in small doses, but usually when the commercials and other political ads come on the air, I change the channel or I mute the TV.

I read the E-N for local info, but living in Comal County, Im excluded form 99% of San Antonio issues, so they arent a real help for me.

I should have taken advice from someone that posts here and stayed out of this stuff, everyone gets all pissy when you try to say whats on your mind, seesh.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I should have taken advice from someone that posts here and stayed out of this stuff, everyone gets all pissy when you try to say whats on your mind, seesh.

No one is pissy. Just surprised that you are KEDAbaugh that's all.

KEDA
10-25-2006, 11:10 PM
I used to listen to Rush, but I stopped after the McNabb incident, that was it for me.

the only radio I listen to anymore is Sean Hannidy, and I find him a tad over the top sometimes.

as far as news media goes, its a one strike and your out policy for me, if you go all stupid in whatever form, I will turn it off and not turn it on again.

although whoever does that moron trivia stuff on WOAI on Friday mornings is pretty damn funny.

KEDA
10-25-2006, 11:11 PM
am I a neo-con yet?

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 11:12 PM
It is what it is. If that is the way you feel it is the way you feel. I know many don't agree with my point of view and that is okay. I don't agree with what many post in here but that doesn't change anything.
Props to you for telling it like it is from your point of view.
I respect the truth about one's point of view rather than silence to avoid confrontation or a disagreement.

insHannity is way to the right but I listen so that I can make a fair and balanced decision. :lmao

KEDA
10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
insHannity is way to the right but I listen so that I can make a fair and balanced decision. :lmao

yeah hes worse than I am, but I find him entertaining, thats about it. And he has cool interviews as well.

JoeChalupa
10-25-2006, 11:22 PM
yeah hes worse than I am, but I find him entertaining, thats about it. And he has cool interviews as well.

I agree. He is very good at what he does but I wish Allan would grow a pair.

Guru of Nothing
10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
My educated guess is ... Rush Limbaugh is presently engaged in contract negotiations.

Keda, you really need to step back and realize that, underneath it all, "hollywood" and talk radio are one in the same.

Sean Hannity would trash you Mom for $20.

Recognize!

KEDA
10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Sean Hannity would trash your Mom for $20.

Recognize!

Id do it for 10!!

just kidding.

Guru of Nothing
10-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Id do it for 10!!

just kidding.

I'll do it for $2.

Top that!

Jimcs50
10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Sean Hannity is a major dickweed too.

What is wrong with you?

Why would anyone listen to either of these freaking assholes?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
He is a still a human being afflicted with a serious illness. The only difference between him and Joe Public is that he has the power/influence to make one of these ads.

Not really an issue to me, and I am hardly with the people advocating stem cell research. Anything that makes people aware is a positive thing in my book...

JoePublic
10-26-2006, 05:25 PM
He is a still a human being afflicted with a serious illness. The only difference between him and Joe Public is that he has the power/influence to make one of these ads.

Leave me out of this. :)

AlamoSpursFan
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
My educated guess is ... Rush Limbaugh is presently engaged in contract negotiations.

Nope. He's currently something like 2 years into a 10 year, $250 million deal with Clear Channel.

:greedy

KEDA
10-26-2006, 09:01 PM
ts not just influence its knowledge of which you clearly have non.

I think you need to rethink how you learn and grow as a functional human being.

I have all of the knowledge that I need to make my vote.

and I am just as functional as everyone else on this board.

why dont you just respect MY opinion and STFU?

KEDA
10-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Sean Hannity is a major dickweed too.

What is wrong with you?

Why would anyone listen to either of these freaking assholes?

I listen to Hannity because I choose to, he is entertaining to me.

I dont bash whoever you choose to listen to.

Guru of Nothing
10-26-2006, 09:37 PM
I have all of the knowledge that I need to make my vote.

and I am just as functional as everyone else on this board.

why dont you just respect MY opinion and STFU?

Nicely stated (sincerely), although I disagree with everything else you have said in this thread, especially the the STFU part - we'd all shrivel up and die if we had to STFU.

George W Bush
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
The world is clearly in a worse state with know it all fucks like you living in it.

Thank you :tu

KEDA
10-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey fuck you fucking insensitive ignorant cunt. Everyone else can fucking say something to you and give an opinion but as soon as I respectfully chim in you give me shit. Its not that I didn't respect your opinion its that I disagree with it and it makes no sense, but I'm sure you already knew that because you know everything.

Matter of fact we should make a law against representioning ailments on TV. If you have cancer most definately don't lobby for support and if you do make sure to hide all the side effects of chemo or Keda will call you a liar and accuse you of trying to change his mind about something of which he already knows everything about. We'll call it the "Keda is an insensitive know it all prick law".

You have to be the most arrogant dumbass ever to think you have the "knowledge" you need to make a good decision because you're clearly an ignorant redneck that knows nothing......right down to the bowling. What a moron how can anyone take you or your brain seriously. Good luck going through life already knowing everything and being a fucking genius. What a fucking dumbass.

The world is clearly in a worse state with know it all fucks like you living in it.

dude, who pissed in your wheaties?

I lost my Grandfather to cancer a year and a half ago, I know how it feels to watch someone slowly slip away due to a horrible disease. Watching him suffer every day after chemo treatments really took a toll on me, as well as the rest of the family. I dont know who you are, really I dont care, but dont tell me what I have been through or what has happened to me. You have no clue.

never once did I say I knew everything, all I said was I knew enough to make MY vote. Did I tell you who to vote for? Nope, sure didnt.

did I call anyone a liar? no, I respected everyones opinion on here, even those who called me insensitive, or idiotic, or stupid.

and lastly when it comes to the bowling part, who cares. I know what I know, so what?

seriously nobody has attacked me personally on here except you, so when I say go fuck yourself, I mean go fuck yourself.

Spam
10-27-2006, 11:00 AM
KEDA kicked ass!!

Jimcs50
10-27-2006, 11:08 AM
I listen to Hannity because I choose to, he is entertaining to me.

I dont bash whoever you choose to listen to.

Dan Patrick and Mike and Mike.

KEDA
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
See you at the support rally dickweed.

I heard you were the guest of honor

KEDA
10-27-2006, 03:49 PM
seriously though

Im not a racist, just because I currently live in Bulverde does not make me a redneck.

actually Im far from it

JoeChalupa
10-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I concur.

I'm no flaming left-wing wacko just 'cause I act like one in the political forum.

smeagol
10-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I concur.

I'm no flaming left-wing wacko just 'cause I act like one in the political forum.

Yes you are :lol