PDA

View Full Version : Principal suspended for giving kid a ‘wedgie’

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Principal suspended for giving kid a ‘wedgie’
Mont. district lets official return after 6 days to think about what he’d done

Updated: 8:11 p.m. CT Oct 24, 2006
LIVINGSTON, Mont. - The principal of Park High School returned to school Tuesday after a six-day suspension for giving a student a "wedgie." The Livingston School District Board held a special meeting Monday and approved Superintendent Hannibal Anderson's recommendation that Principal Eric Messerli be allowed to return to work.

"It has been clearly recognized and stated that the behavior is inappropriate, unprofessional and unacceptable," Anderson said.

Messerli's behavior "warrants substantial disciplinary action" but was not sufficient grounds for a recommendation for termination, he said.

Messerli was suspended for two days without pay and four days with pay for grabbing a Park High senior's soccer jersey and pulling it over his head and giving the student a "wedgie" by pulling up on the waist band of his underwear. The incident happened on Oct. 5 at a junior varsity soccer game.

Messerli cried Monday as he read a statement to the board and the public.

"I've made mistakes in my life, but none have had the impact that this one has had," he said.

He said his first reaction was to resign, but he wanted to "tackle this mess" head on.

"I want to live in a world where we don't have to hide when we screw up," he said.

Public comments about Messerli, voiced by students, parents and community members, ranged from reprimand to encouragement.

"What could be better than showing how you bounce back after a mistake?" community member Brad Snow said.

"The days of a school staff person laying hands on a student are long gone," said a woman in the audience.

Park High Vice Principal Bob Stevenson and girls' soccer coach Nate Anderson, who both witnessed the Oct. 5 incident, expressed support for Messerli. They said his actions were a mistake, but they were done in an effort to joke around with the student.

"It was meant in playfulness," Anderson said.

Others, including trustee Greg Brainerd, said Messerli's trying to be on equal level with students was the problem.

He attributed the incident to "loss of traditional authority structure," which he believes should be re-established in the school system.

Anderson said Messerli also received a letter of reprimand.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Rate this story Low High

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't know what to think of this. On the one hand, it was all in fun, but on the other hand, he should separate himself from the students as far as not acting as an equal.

Fillmoe
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
best principal ever

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Bad touch.

GeorgeCostanza
10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
At least it wasn't an atomic wedgie.

Medvedenko
10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Fire the asshole....seriously, that's not cool to take part in embarrassing and singleing out a student.

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Fire the asshole....seriously, that's not cool to take part in embarrassing and singleing out a student.

Spoken like someone who suffered through wedgies when he was in school, yes?

:)

I have never had one, nor given one, so I am not one to judge here.

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
and i am moving to Montana shortly....hilarious.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't know what to think of this. On the one hand, it was all in fun, but on the other hand, he should separate himself from the students as far as not acting as an equal.
I agree with everything you said.

RUN, THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!

Spurminator
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
The suspension seems counterproductive to re-establishing the "traditional authority structure." Why not reprimand him in private? Were they trying to make an example of him to ward off other Principal-Student wedgie incidents?

jman3000
10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
when i was a senior in high school sometimes we'd give wedgies to the freshman football players. it was easy to go atomic because jock straps only have the band at the back and it's easier to stretch it all the way over.

jman3000
10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
i used to be quite an asshole.

T Park
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
used to be?

kidding.

I really am floored by this to the point that either way you go, has lots of negatives.....

Spurminator
10-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't see what the big deal is... Our principal used to run around the guys' shower slapping bare asses with a wet towel (or sometimes his hand). Hell, sometimes he'd sneak up on us and take pictures when we weren't expecting it. Crazy guy... But cool as hell.

Times are changing.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, if they fire this guy, he can always get a job in the Maverick front office.

Jimcs50
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, if they fire this guy, he can always get a job in the Maverick front office.

:lol

ATX Spur
10-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't see the grave harm. Not enough to talk about firing the guy. Just make it clear he can't touch the students.

1Parker1
10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't see what the big deal is... Our principal used to run around the guys' shower slapping bare asses with a wet towel (or sometimes his hand). Hell, sometimes he'd sneak up on us and take pictures when we weren't expecting it. Crazy guy... But cool as hell...

uMMM, that's slightly disturbing and almost as weird as the wedgie story....

Marklar MM
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I wish I had a principal that did that. :(

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Aren't you still in high school? Maybe you do and just don't know it.

Marklar MM
10-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Aren't you still in high school? Maybe you do and just don't know it.

If you are talking to me, you are misinformed.

Smack

Spurminator
10-25-2006, 08:30 PM
uMMM, that's slightly disturbing and almost as weird as the wedgie story....

Nah, he always took off all of his clothes too so we wouldn't be uncomfortable.

rayray2k8
10-25-2006, 08:32 PM
:lol

ALVAREZ6
10-25-2006, 08:35 PM
rayray get that shit out of your sig, I don't care what bet you lost...take that shit out.

1Parker1
10-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Nah, he always took off all of his clothes too so we wouldn't be uncomfortable.

:lol It's been a long day, I can't believe I didn't catch the joke on that the first time...:oops

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 08:59 PM
rayray get that shit out of your sig, I don't care what bet you lost...take that shit out.Isn't that a pic of the same two guys who were wearing that lei together?

1Parker1
10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Isn't that a pic of the same two guys who were wearing that lei together?

No I think that was of Alvarez and his friend...:lol