PDA

View Full Version : Chivalry. A poll for the fellas.

IceColdBrewski
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
The "revolving doors" thread got me thinking. When the Titanic went down, 80% of the men died. The notion of "Women and Children first" was a dominant part of our culture at the time. Moving ahead to present times, if you were on a ship that was going down, would you surrender your seat in the lifeboat to a woman and go down with the ship simply because she is a woman?

I'd surely give up my seat to a child. But for a Woman, I'm not so sure.

T Park
10-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Yup.

Just the way I was brought up, and wouldn't even give it a second thought.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Well, things are different today. Today, ships usually have enough lifeboats for all the passengers and crew. I personally would, but I wouldn't blame someone for not doing so.

Spurminator
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
It's really hard to say. I can say, "Yeah, I'd give up my seat" because it's the easy answer but I don't know how I'd react in the actual situation.

Honestly, I think guilt would overwhelm me if I were being lowered in a life boat while watching others left behind... Women, children, even other men. But on the other hand, if I'm on that boat with my family it would be hard to send them off without me.

My guess is my adrenaline would kick in and I'd stay behind to help as many people as possible, then try my damnedest to swim.

dirk4mvp
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I would.

Vizzini
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
I'd give it up and then fight like hell to stay alive.

SA210
10-25-2006, 04:09 PM
:lol

Bill Burr HBO Stand Up

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1035409180

IceColdBrewski
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
It's really hard to say. I can say, "Yeah, I'd give up my seat" because it's the easy answer but I don't know how I'd react in the actual situation.

Honestly, I think guilt would overwhelm me if I were being lowered in a life boat while watching others left behind... Women, children, even other men. But on the other hand, if I'm on that boat with my family it would be hard to send them off without me.

Yeah, if my family were with me, the first thing I'd do is make sure they got into a lifeboat and said lifeboat was safely lowered to the water. If time permitted, I'd do whatever I could to help others. But when time is running out, I'm getting a seat to make sure my children grow up with a Father.

My guess is my adrenaline would kick in and I'd stay behind to help as many people as possible, then try my damnedest to swim.

Screw swimming. I'd go find something that floats and tie it to me.
Like some extra life vests and a deck chair.

Maybe snag a bottle of Rum from the bar if there's enough time.

Spurminator
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah floating would be ideal.

All I know is I'm taking a gun with me in case drowning becomes inevitable. Fuck drowning.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
:lol

Bill Burr HBO Stand Up

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1035409180
:lmao :tu

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah, if my family were with me, the first thing I'd do is make sure they got into a lifeboat and said lifeboat was safely lowered to the water. If time permitted, I'd do whatever I could to help others. But when time is running out, I'm getting a seat to make sure my children grow up with a Father.there's a problem with that way of thinking. You're assuming your family will be able to get into one of the boats, but if every man on the ship thinks the way you do, then they probably won't. Every man wants their family to grow up with a father, thats the problem.

phyzik
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
oh I could have sworn we were all equal....you know they can do everything we can do too and get paid fair market value for it.

Women not Men have killed chivalry with their equal liberty bullshit.

With that said I'd probably give my seat up but at some point I might have to draw the line. My kids deserve their father.

Thats pretty much my take as well. If it was a woman with her child, sure.... but just because they are a woman? screw that, you can swim just as well as I can according to most women.

Equal rights is so full of crap in regards to opposite sex situations, there's so many double standards its not even funny.

IceColdBrewski
10-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I guess I should have added, "It would depend on the circumstances" as one of the poll questions.

If the Woman convinced me she had kids back home and that she was the sole parent, I'd give up the seat. I couldn't live with myself If I was the reason children had been orphaned. I'm sure there are a few other circumstances similar to that in which I'd give up the seat.

phyzik
10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
I guess I should have added, "It would depend on the circumstances" as one of the poll questions.

If the Woman convinced me she had kids back home and that she was the sole parent, I'd give up the seat. I couldn't live with myself If I was the reason children had been orphaned. I'm sure there are a few other circumstances similar to that in which I'd give up the seat.

On the same token... what if there was a single father who has a child.... would then a women be expected to give up her seat?

ShoogarBear
10-25-2006, 04:34 PM
LMAO. I answered the poll before I read Brewski's post. I thought you were talking about a bus seat.

Shit, I better avoid cruises from now on because somebody might dig up this poll.

SpursWoman
10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't believe I'd deserve a seat just because I'm a woman. But faced with the knowledge that if I died my children would be left with my basically worthless ex-husband...I'd either be taking everyone down with me or figuring out how to walk on water.

IceColdBrewski
10-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Yup.

Just the way I was brought up, and wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Fair enough. But lets say it's some snooty rich lady who strolls up with a bottle of Dom Perignon in one hand, and her pink poodle in the other. You still givin up that seat?

JoePublic
10-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Screw swimming. I'd go find something that floats and tie it to me.
Like some extra life vests and a deck chair.

Maybe snag a bottle of Rum from the bar if there's enough time.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/0a/270px-Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_'Jaws'_(1976).jp g
"I'll never put on a life vest again."

JoePublic
10-25-2006, 11:48 PM
If she gives it up then I'd give it up.

midgetonadonkey
10-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Chivalry died when the chicks wanted to be equal. You want to work bitch, you stand.

DarkReign
10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
No question. I would give my seat to any other person regardless of age or sex.

samikeyp
10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
I'd give my seat up to SpursWoman....if I didn't, she'd kick my ass! :depressed

:tongue

Spam
10-26-2006, 10:39 AM
No, but if she's hot she can sit on my face.

Jimcs50
10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Sadly, in today's world, there would not be any boats left floating, as everyone would try to get on the boats, thus sinking all of them. People nowadays only look out for themselves, for the most part. Sad commentary, but true.

Also, Spurminator, you would not drown, you would die of hypothermia.

I would get all the kids on the boat, pull the young men off and go down with the ship, I think, as I could not stand the scrutiny of being an able bodied man on the lifeboat when kids and women were left off.

Good 'N Plenty
10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
If a man didn't give up his seat for a woman I'd file a lawsuit.

desflood
10-26-2006, 11:52 AM
On the same token... what if there was a single father who has a child.... would then a women be expected to give up her seat?
If I knew there was a single dad who needed to get home... my kids have a good dad here. I'd give up my seat for that guy.

mrose31
10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
To be honest I would not give up my seat for a stranger no matter who it was. For a child I might give up my own seat but not sure. For just about anyone in my immediate family i would give up my seat in a heart beat. This brings to mind another question I always think about for some strange reason. Would you sacrifice you or wife/husband or child to save the lives of others. Like would you sacrifice yourself if you saved 100 people you don't know. What about a 1000 or even a million. May make me a bad person but I don't think I would. Maybe if I could save a million I would sacrifice my self but I don't think there is any amount of people that I would save if I had to sacrifice my wife or daughter.

Duncan21
10-26-2006, 12:40 PM
i would give it up for a child. and im not sure if i would give it up for a woman its one of those questions were you really have to be in that situation to find out. i doubt i would give it up for an old woman though cause she could dies in a few months anyway.

Pregnant Bitch
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
My fat ass needs to be saved first. And I require my own boat.

ALVAREZ6
10-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Pack the life boats like mexicans. Then everyone's happy.

In all seriousness, I have no idea what I'd do. If it's just a stranger woman, fuck that. I'm saving my ass. I'd have a hard time sacrificing my life for a woman that I don't know. Children, on the other hand, I would budge for.

It also depends how old I were to be at the moment. If it happened to me right now, then fuck that, I want to live my life. But If I were in my 50's, then yeah I'd let a woman sit. Now if it were to save my family members, I'd do anything. I have way more respect for my family than strangers. I'd take a bullet for anyone in my family.

ALVAREZ6
10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
No question. I would give my seat to any other person regardless of age or sex.
A 99 year old woman with breathing tubes and an air hole in her trachea, that would probably die even if she went on the boat?

Bob Lanier
10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Fuck 'em all. Absolutely not, and anyone who would is an idiot.

Guru of Nothing
10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Depends on whether or not I go to heaven.

baseline bum
10-26-2006, 08:25 PM
The "revolving doors" thread got me thinking. When the Titanic went down, 80% of the men died. The notion of "Women and Children first" was a dominant part of our culture at the time. Moving ahead to present times, if you were on a ship that was going down, would you surrender your seat in the lifeboat to a woman and go down with the ship simply because she is a woman?

I'd surely give up my seat to a child. But for a Woman, I'm not so sure.

I'd give up my seat for neither of them. Hell, I'd kick a woman, child, man, baby, cripple, whatever, overboard and take his seat. Oh yeah, and I'd throw Jim overboard first. I won't apologize for caring about myself over some other person I've never met and have no attachments to.

atlfan25
10-27-2006, 12:30 AM
every man, woman, and infantile for themselves

Kori Ellis
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
every man, woman, and infantile for themselves

So you wouldn't give up your seat for a fat baby that needed a seat of his own?

atlfan25
10-27-2006, 12:42 AM
no

timvp
10-27-2006, 12:51 AM
If you can vote, you can swim.

:smokin

MaNuMaNiAc
10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
So you wouldn't give up your seat for a fat baby that needed a seat of his own?I think he meant "infantile" as in a childish mofo http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif otherwise he would have said infant http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

Jimcs50
10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh yeah, and I'd throw Jim overboard first. I won't apologize for caring about myself over some other person I've never met and have no attachments to.

I would drag your ass with me, and stand on your shoulders.

Solid D
10-27-2006, 02:48 PM
In theory, more women and children can get in a lifeboat (size, weight)...thus more are spared from drowning.

I normally give up my seat in a waiting room, if all seats are taken and a woman enters the room. I will also move to a different seat if I'm opening up seats together so that a couple or family can sit together.

T Park
10-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Fair enough. But lets say it's some snooty rich lady who strolls up with a bottle of Dom Perignon in one hand, and her pink poodle in the other. You still givin up that seat?

Bitch drowns.

No, Im kidding. I'd give it up, because shes still a lady. One poster says I'm an idiot, so be it.

I like TIMVP's saying though :lmao

JoeChalupa
10-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I always give up my seat to a lady because I too was raised that way.

Marklar MM
10-27-2006, 04:04 PM
As long as she leaves the Dom Perignon and the poodle with you.