PDA

View Full Version : Avis Is Racist

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
So my truck is in Austin getting some work done and I need to find a way to get it this weekend. I thought about renting a car here and dropping it off in Austin so I wouldn't have to catch a ride from somebody.

I go and look directly at Avis and Travelocity and get this price:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2774/avis1cd0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Then I start thinking...I get a discount because I'm a member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. So I go to the Web site, get the discount code and go through the exact same setup above. This is what I get:

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5126/avis2vh5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Discount?

:lmao

And for those of you who have a tendency to get defensive at anything slightly offensive, I'm joking.

It's probably a glitch in the system or the discount information/availability.

King
10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Would there be an issue if there were a National Association of White Journalists?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Would there be an issue if there were a National Association of White Journalists?

Not from me. Hell, one of my mentors in this industry was one of the first whites to join the National Association of Black Journalists.

Sapphire
10-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Looks like you just get a better deal at Travelocity rather than the Avis website.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Looks like you just get a better deal at Travelocity rather than the Avis website.

Well, the price at Travelocity was the same as the rate I got from Avis (w/o the discount). I just used the Travelocity screen since it was still up when I thought to make this thread.

tsb2000
10-25-2006, 09:47 PM
You should call them up letting them know about that and see if you can get an employee discount- usually their best rate- or better yet, free when you tell them about your media creds. :)

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Enterprise and Thrifty are probably cheaper.

Usually about $20-25 per day without discounts.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Enterprise and Thrifty are probably cheaper.

Usually about $20-25 per day without discounts.

I thought so, too, but I think it has more to do with my specific requirements for the car that made me get much higher rates with Enterprise and Thirifty. Hertz was craxy expensive and I think Alamo didn't have a way for me to drop the car off when I needed to.

When I was in DC, I was able to get $14/day on a Cobalt from Avis through Hotwire, but that was because I was returning the car to Reagan where I picked it up. Hotwire doesn't do one-way rentals.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2006, 09:54 PM
See if sabutta can get it cheaper for you. He's a travel agent.

Spurfect
10-25-2006, 10:10 PM
if you want to accuse Avis of something, accuse them of ripping you off. those prices are crazy. Go with Enterprise. They're very cheap on the weekends. I rented a car last weekend, picked it up Friday @ 6:00 pm and returned it Monday @ 6:00 pm and it was $65 dollars.

of course maybe it's different since it's a one-way thing. One thing I know for sure is that if you do one way, you absolutely cannot use a debit card, must be a credit card

spurschick
10-25-2006, 10:18 PM
What happens if you type Lachino as the discount code?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 10:19 PM
What happens if you type Lachino as the discount code?

Just for that, next game we're at, I'm going to nudge you onto the court so the guard can chastize you some more. :lol

spurschick
10-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Just for that, next game we're at, I'm going to nudge you onto the court so the guard can chastize you some more. :lol

:lol They'll probably just take out a gun and shoot me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-25-2006, 10:26 PM
:lol They'll probably just take out a gun and shoot me.

Who knows? The guard might be Croatian.

samikeyp
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM
or a shaman.

spurschick
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Who knows? The guard might be Croatian.

:lmao Or a Croatian Shaman! I'll be so screwed. I hear they've got a whole legion of people after me now.

scott
10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Bro, it's the same thing when I try to use my corporate discount. I think it has more to do with it being a weekend (which are highly discounted anyway rather than your prenegotiated "special" rate) than anything else.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
It's all about volume - Travelocity funnels more business to them, so they get a cheaper rate than your NAHJ discount.

I get cheaper rates through USAA than I do using our work account, for example.

ShoogarBear
10-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Maybe they've read your stuff.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Using discount codes is not always the best way to go. Most rental companies have a full base rate and then they have various discounted rates that they offer, the best of which is usually their Internet Rate. When you use a discount code, they will sometimes apply it to their full rate, which only an idiot would pay. Your 10 or 15 percent off the full rate doesn't compare to the 40 to 50 (or more) percent off for internet rates or last minute specials.

That being said, since your organization's discount implies you are a hispanic, the rate probably reflects the cost of additional insurance the rental company takes out to cover themselves in case you don't return the car. :lol

midgetonadonkey
10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought you were Filipino.