PDA

View Full Version : Stern wants NBA players to leave the guns at home

ducks
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Stern wants NBA players to leave the guns at home

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
October 25, 2006

Yahoo! Sports: NBA's hottest stars
Yahoo! Sports: Who's the next big thing?

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

ADVERTISEMENT
For that reason, the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out. (HE WOULD RATHER THEY HAVE NO PROCTECTION AND GET SHOT)

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

It's one that was raised recently when Indiana's Stephen Jackson shot a gun in the air at least five times outside an Indianapolis strip club on Oct. 6. He originally told police he fired in self-defense during a fight in which he was hit by a car.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows players to own licensed guns, but they can't carry them on any league or team business. Asked what kind of firearm rule he would want if collective bargaining weren't involved, Stern said: "I would favor being able to have a firearm to protect your home. Period."

He added that walking the streets carrying guns was "dangerous for our players," but said there has been no further discussion with the union about strengthening the policy.

Union spokesman Dan Wasserman said it already was bolstered in last year's agreement, at the request of the league.

"In response to issues raised by the NBA during bargaining last year," he said, "a provision was added to the collective bargaining agreement that subjects the players to discipline if they bring any kind of firearm, even if it's licensed, to an NBA arena, practice facility, or even a team or league* offsite promotional appearance."

Wasserman also said that the dangers of firearms are discussed during the rookie transition program, where players are "informed of the legalities of it, what you can or can't do, and the pros of cons of having a weapon are discussed extensively."

With the start of the season less than a week away, Stern also addressed the arena situation in Sacramento. The city's residents will be asked to approve two ballot measures on Nov. 7 that would increase local sales tax as part of the Kings' quest to replace Arco Arena with a new downtown building.

The measures are considered long-shots to pass, and Stern seems to understand why after claiming that a deal between the city and the developer hasn't been finalized.

"In the absence of a deal between the city and a developer, I don't know what any fair-minded citizen of Sacramento is being asked to vote on," he said. "I would love to see them support an arena development, but I would tell them that they better make sure that the city gets with it to see whether the deal can in fact be done. Right now there is no deal anyplace."

Also, Stern said he expected to rule on Larry Brown's grievance with the Knicks sometime during the second week of the season. The Knicks refused to pay the remainder of Brown's contract after firing him one year into a five-year deal.

Texas_Ranger
10-26-2006, 01:04 AM
:dramaquee

Winnipeg_Spur
10-26-2006, 01:40 AM
That David Stern's such a tyrant! :)

Obstructed_View
10-26-2006, 01:46 AM
HE WOULD RATHER THEY HAVE NO PROCTECTION AND GET SHOT
Retard gold. :lol

THE SIXTH MAN
10-26-2006, 02:17 AM
:makemyday
Damn ducks shit happens, but when ever a gun is brought in to play it doesn't deescalate any situation it only adds.

ATX Spur
10-26-2006, 02:21 AM
HE WOULD RATHER THEY HAVE NO PROCTECTION AND GET SHOT

I'm sure he just wants them not to put themselves in dumb situations where they can be shot.

Joepa
10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
David Stern: The concerned, ultraconservative father of every NBA player.

Samr
10-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Politics or personal opinions should, in my opinion, stay away from basketball. There are arguments for and against carrying, and both have equally valid points to make. It seems that, in advising this, Stern is clearly picking a side. By doing so, he also opens himself up for criticism from the right. He cannot make these claims, or opinions, or advisory statements or whatever the hell he wants to call them without, at the same time (if he wants to remain fair), allowing for a counter-arguement.

I think a commissioner should remain neutral in EVERYTHING not directly involving the 94 feet of hardwood.

Stern cannot, and should not, say what the players do in their personal lives. They are all men, being over the age of 18, and they have the right to act as they please in regards to their own lives, and the choices they make. Obviously, there are exceptions when they are a "public figure" and they should always conduct themselves as such. But carrying a gun? Come on. The guy is challenging the constitution here. And that does not belong on the basketball court.

If those quotes are accurate, I have lost a lot of respect for Stern. Not in what he said, but the fact he thought he could say it.

Not that I mean anything to Stern. I'm not a season ticket holder. Alas, I'm just a common fan.

boutons_
10-26-2006, 11:09 AM
"challenging the constitution here"

oh fucking bullshit. He's only saying he prefers, desires that NBA players don't carry guns anywhere, for the safety of the players and the image of the league. He's not challenging their right to carry licensed guns and play badass gangstas. The very same dumbfuck SJax already caused Stern and the NBA the worst world-wide press the NBA has ever had.

AFBlue
10-26-2006, 02:02 PM
In honor of election season...

"David Stern is not endorsed by the NRA."

- Vote for Paul Tagliabue for Best Commissioner

"My name is Paul Tagliabue and I approved this message"

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Don't Take Your Guns To Town
by Johnny Cash

A young cowboy named Billy Joe grew restless on the farm
A boy filled with wonderlust who really meant no harm
He changed his clothes and shined his boots
And combed his dark hair down
And his mother cried as he walked out

[Chorus]
Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town

He laughed and kissed his mom
And said your Billy Joe's a man
I can shoot as quick and straight as anybody can
But I wouldn't shoot without a cause
I'd gun nobody down
But she cried again as he rode away

[Chorus]

He sang a song as on he rode
His guns hung at his hips
He rode into a cattle town
A smile upon his lips
He stopped and walked into a bar
And laid his money down
But his mother's words echoed again

[Chorus]

He drank his first strong liquor then to calm his shaking hand
And tried to tell himself he had become a man
A dusty cowpoke at his side began to laugh him down
And he heard again his mothers words

[Chorus]

Filled with rage then
Billy Joe reached for his gun to draw
But the stranger drew his gun and fired
Before he even saw
As Billy Joe fell to the floor
The crowd all gathered 'round
And wondered at his final words

[Chorus]

ajh18
10-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Stern cannot, and should not, say what the players do in their personal lives. They are all men, being over the age of 18, and they have the right to act as they please in regards to their own lives, and the choices they make. Obviously, there are exceptions when they are a "public figure" and they should always conduct themselves as such. But carrying a gun? Come on.

While Stern may or may not be able to dictate personal behavior, I think his statements may definately be able to influence certain contractual stipulations governing players' personal lives, for which there is already precendent. If he genuinely believes that carrying a firearm increases an individual's chances of getting shot, then it certainly seems within reason to suggest that teams might want to contractually limit this potentially damaging harm to their investment, just as they limit risky personal behaviors such as riding a motorcycle or skydiving.

Samr
10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
The issue is that he's using loaded language. He said "if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically" like it was an absolute. He was being specific. He said something that has, historically, caused a lot of debate.

He could have generalized just as easily.

He could have said something along the lines of "In light of this event, I would prefer for players to be more conscious and thoughtful of how they carry themselves in public. They are already made a target by simply being a recognizable name, and there is no reason to catalyze the situation by bringing other items into the picture. If they need help, they can and should call the police. That is what they are there for. I do not encourage any player to attempt justice on his own, as it often only escalates the situation."

Now tell me that isn't better.

Someone needs fire Stern's PR person.

T-Pain
10-26-2006, 10:34 PM
That David Stern's such a tyrant! :)
i know right, players can carry their guns with them!

braeden0613
10-26-2006, 10:39 PM
"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

BS
Maybe people like Stephen Jackson are more likely to get shot, but thats because he hangs around strip clubs at 3 am. For most people that carry their guns in their cars and even with them for protection, they are not more likely to get shot.

phxspurfan
10-26-2006, 10:55 PM
stop bashing stephen jacson already!! if we get the chance we should get him back. itwill solve all of our lanky perimiter defender needs and give us that street cred.

DAMN YOU CARDINALS!

T Park
10-26-2006, 11:35 PM
give us that street cred

The Spurs don't need street cred.

What are you 15?

THE SIXTH MAN
10-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Stern cannot, and should not, say what the players do in their personal lives. They are all men, being over the age of 18, and they have the right to act as they please in regards to their own lives, and the choices they make. Obviously, there are exceptions when they are a "public figure" and they should always conduct themselves as such. But carrying a gun? Come on. The guy is challenging the constitution here. And that does not belong on the basketball court.
Did you actually read the article? It simply states that players can not carry guns in an NBA arena or any thing NBA related. Which is part of the CBA. And hes simply saying that he'd rather have players leave their licensed hand guns at home and not out and about with them. Hes with in every right to tell players to not carry hand guns to their place of business. In no way is he challenging the constitution, rather exercising his right to freedom of speech by expressing his opinion.

mavs>spurs2
10-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Hmm...I don't blame anyone for pulling a gun if you are getting jumped by a bunch of thugs. After hearing stories of people being beaten to death over stupid stuff like this I wouldn't take any chances.

mikejones99
10-27-2006, 01:12 PM
he should tell them to not have kids before age 25 if he really cares about the players.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
he should tell them to not have kids before age 25 if he really cares about the players.

Not that they can't have kids...just that they can't bring them out into public, because then those kids will interact with other people's kids and it could be deadly.

Just using the same logic...

mikejones99
10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Kids are way more dangerous than guns.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Kids are way more dangerous than guns.

You're telling me. I've got 6 guns and no kids and that's the reason.

mavsfan1000
10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Fuck Stern and his dictatorship crap. Now he is telling people what to do off the court? What if they don't listen to him? Nba ban?

mikejones99
10-27-2006, 01:38 PM
This way you will not have to listen to bitchy golddiggers for 18 years trying to steal your money like the NBA fools usually do. Let children play with guns near single moms at NBA arenas to slove some problems

howbouthemspurs
10-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Guns are cool! I carry a M4 and 9m everywhere I go!

howbouthemspurs
10-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Guns are cool! I carry a M4 and a 9m everywhere I go!

carib
10-28-2006, 01:20 PM
News just in Stren told players they can’t be behind a BBQ grill any more, the chances are too high for them getting burn.