PDA

View Full Version : SI.com hot question: Is San Antonio's window of opportunity about to close?

flipcritic
10-26-2006, 12:14 AM
One of 12.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/paul_forrester/10/25/storylines/7.html

It sure seems that way, doesn't it, what with their second-round playoff exit last spring and all of the preseason love that Dallas and Phoenix are receiving.

But don't forget that this team was only a bad foul by Manu Ginobili away from dispatching the Mavs in seven games.

Also, don't forget that they've added two promising big men in Jackie Butler and Francisco Elson.

Oh, and don't forget this team also has a two-time MVP on the roster named Tim Duncan.

Yet there's no denying that age and injuries are creeping up on this team. From Robert Horry to Michael Finley to Brent Barry to Jacque Vaughn, the bench is more than veteran -- it's simply old.

Also, Duncan and Ginobili were both at less than full strength as they struggled with the aches and pains of playing an average of 100 games a season over the last four years.

When healthy and in form, this club has the smarts and skills to win any game in any venue, which should make for another 55-win or more season. When those bones start to feel every minute of their playing days, though, it makes for a vulnerable team.

"Their performance in the playoffs, especially against Dallas, against whom they were just terrible on defense, has to be kind of disturbing because that's what they do -- they're a good defensive team," a front-office consultant says. "They tried to go small against Dallas and just had trouble matching up; that's kind of a concern."

With a healthy Duncan (coach Gregg Popovich will undoubtedly limit his minutes to that end), the Spurs will reach the Finals. Without? Eva Longoria shouldn't plan for much screen time come June.

dbreiden83080
10-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah this is the same SI that picked the Suns to win the title. The same suns that have the single biggest question mark in the NBA this year in Amare. If Amare is not the same guy we last saw in the 05 west finals, the suns are not winning the title.

ponky
10-26-2006, 02:32 AM
As long as their big three are healthy and playing, I doubt it. Their second-round exit should've happened in the WCF because there were inferior teams playing in the other semis and it's not like they got trounced, they just baaaaaaaaaarely lost, barely.

SenorSpur
10-26-2006, 04:08 AM
SI was once a fine publications. It has since evolved into a joke magazine.

This is the same magazine where their pro football experts picked the Washington Redskins to win the NFC East Division this season. Of course the Skins are in last place and sinking fast.

What the hell do the so-called SI experts know?

WalterBenitez
10-26-2006, 06:53 AM
I don't understand the ironic part of Eva :dramaquee
Is she an asset or problem ... :oops
in case were a problem ... I'd love to have that problem :hungry:

RandomGuy
10-26-2006, 07:17 AM
aw man, it's stuff like this that makes this 36 year old feel older than he actually is... :depressed

Eruff24
10-26-2006, 08:57 AM
SI was once a fine publications. It has since evolved into a joke magazine.

This is the same magazine where their pro football experts picked the Washington Redskins to win the NFC East Division this season. Of course the Skins are in last place and sinking fast.

What the hell do the so-called SI experts know?

I agree a 100%. Besides the Suns will trade Marion before the end of the season. Sorry but defense is a must when it comes to the WCF.

Joepa
10-26-2006, 09:37 AM
The same SI that picked the Dolphins to represent the AFC in the super bowl...

SenorSpur
10-26-2006, 10:23 AM
The same SI that picked the Dolphins to represent the AFC in the super bowl...

Another good point

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm always amazed at how much people are carping on the "second round exit" part of all this. It was a loss to the eventual conference champs, who they met in the second round because of the stupidity of the seeding system. They could have easily handled the Suns or the Clippers IMO. If things had played like they should have, with the Mavs and Spurs meeting in the conference finals, and things went exactly as they did, the hype would be that they were within inches of returning to the finals to defend their title and are in position to do so again.

Jimcs50
10-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I think it closed last year. Pop blew it.

mrose31
10-26-2006, 12:23 PM
The door is closing I think we only got about 4 or 5 more shots at it.

MrChug
10-26-2006, 12:48 PM
The door is closing I think we only got about 4 or 5 more shots at it.

Is that all?? Really? :lmao

ambchang
10-26-2006, 12:57 PM
As a Spurs fan, I am already happy that 3 titles were won in the last 8 years, there really isn't anything I can gripe about.
The Spurs went through two major line ups, and all the while still developed young talent in Parker, while provided hope for the future with low draft picks in overseas talent.
The window of opportunity closes the day Duncan is no longer capable of carrying the team on his back, as a Spurs fan, I believe he still has about 3 or 4 years left in him, but I can certainly understand why others are writing him off. We saw the same thing happen to Jordan in the late 90's, Kareem in the mid/late 80's, or Magic in the late 80s/early 90's, Dr. J in the early 70's, and Chamberlain in the early 70's, the cycle continues.
Last thing, I am glad that as a fan, I can put a Spurs player on the same level as the aforementioned greats.

Eruff24
10-26-2006, 01:03 PM
3 ships in 8 yrs ill take that anyday. SI is a crappy mag that needs readers so they will always report from the edge of the cliff.

angryllama
10-26-2006, 01:38 PM
SI may be a gaggle of fools, but that doesnt make the idea any less legit.

Even a blind man can see the years adding up quick for the Spurs.

spurs_666
10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I think spurs can still go the western conf final, since the playoff seeding format is changed. But Spurs will lost to the Mavs in the western conf final.

AFBlue
10-26-2006, 01:50 PM

Duncan, 30
Manu, 29
Tony, 24

They're hardly close to drawing social security, and as long as they're relatively healthy and young the Spurs will be in the championship-contender convo.

While your point is well taken, the Spurs FO knows the team is getting "older" and they're too good to stay idle. The piece-meal parts that surround the Spurs change every year, and next year you'll probably be staring at a completely different group of complimentary players.

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 02:20 PM
About to close? Depends on what they can do next summer. Same as this summer? Consider it all but closed. Get some young talent, some to contribute right away? Window open for business.

ambchang
10-26-2006, 02:24 PM

Some may argue that only the blind man can see the years adding up quick for the Spurs.

Besides, at least a window of opportunity closing meant that there was a window to begin with.