PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs forward Williams has little time to shine

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Spurs forward Williams has little time to shine

Web Posted: 10/26/2006 12:10 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102606.04D.BKNspurs.willliams.35bb701.html

Two preseason games is not much of a chance to make an impression, but if forward Eric Williams wants to be on the 12-man roster when the Spurs open the regular season next week, two games is all he's got to convince the coaching staff he can contribute.

The 11-year veteran, who came to the Spurs as part of the trade that sent Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto, suffered a strained left Achilles' tendon early in training camp. Unable to practice until last week and behind in his conditioning, Williams played for the first time in Saturday's game at Houston, logging 27 minutes.

Acquired to be a spot defender against forwards such as Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, he likely will get a chance to defend Nowitzki in the Spurs' exhibition finale against the Mavericks in Dallas on Friday night.

How well he does in that assignment could determine Williams' status opening night. For the moment, he does not figure in the team's regular playing rotation. Though he is in the final year of a guaranteed contract that pays him $4.3 million, he might not be one of the 12 players the Spurs suit up in the regular season opener at Dallas on Nov. 2.

"The jury's out on him," assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said. "I won't say he came (to camp) in terrible shape, but he got behind.

"France was tough anyway, because we had to go with veteran guys over there because we were playing games within four days. But in addition to that, the guys that got hurt, Beno (Udrih) and Eric, have fallen behind. That hurt them. Other guys got in better shape and picked things up better and knew what was going on. They distanced themselves from those guys."

Williams understands where he stands. He hopes another week of practice will allow him to get in better shape and be ready to go when the regular season begins. If it turns out he is not on the 12-man active roster on opening night, he will bide his time and wait for his chance.

"It was an unfortunate situation," Williams said of the injury that cost him valuable practice time in France. "I got kicked two times in a row in the Achilles and it flamed up and that slowed me down. I'm trying to get through it. I'm still not 100 percent; maybe 80, 85 percent. I'm not there yet, but I'm still out there on the court, running and trying to get ready for the first day of the season.

"I just go out there and do what I've got to do. I can't worry about things too much because I know this is a championship-ready team. I'm just happy to be on a team like this, and I know I can work myself into condition."

Williams took a lot of heat from Raptors fans after he made it clear he was unhappy with the trade that sent him from the New Jersey Nets to Toronto as part of the Vince Carter deal in 2004. When the Raptors traded Jalen Rose to the Knicks last season, Williams reiterated his disappointment at being "stuck" in Toronto.

What Raptors fans didn't know about Williams' disappointment at being traded away from New Jersey — and not being traded back to the same area — was his concern for his son, Raquiesh, who was 10 at the time of the Carter trade. Williams was raising Raquiesh on his own after his son's mother, Williams' high school sweetheart, was murdered in Piscataway, N.J., in 2003.

Raquiesh, now 12, remains in New Jersey while his dad works to secure a spot on the Spurs.

"I never considered moving him (to San Antonio)," Williams said after the Spurs' practice session Wednesday. "I wanted him to have the stability. He's 12 years old now and he's got friends, and his friends are important to him. I wanted to give him some years to live a relatively normal life.

"He plays football, basketball, baseball and he swims and plays some ice hockey, too. His school has a lot of extracurricular activities that keep him busy. Plus he's growing up with a nephew of mine who is almost like another son. They're in the same class in the same school, so that's what's good."

The trauma of losing his mother was difficult for his son, but Williams is proud of his resilience.

"The situation is what it is," Williams said, "but he's come through pretty well. He's doing great in school, and things aren't normal, but they're getting closer to normal. He's got some stability with my family that's around him right now, and that's good. It's a totally different situation."

AFBlue
10-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Damn I didn't know all that. Makes you want to root for this guy to stick with a team, if not with the Spurs, then with someone else.

coopdogg3
10-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah, no kidding. Looks like he has a good head on his shoulders, he and his son should do allright.

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Seems the stability of a dad is more important than having friends around. You can always make friends, but what do I know?

leemajors
10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Seems the stability of a dad is more important than having friends around. You can always make friends, but what do I know?

since his dad has a travelling job, i think the friends aren't nearly as important as his kid having the rest of his dad's family around for support since he can't be there himself all the time due to his job.

Solid D
10-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Interesting reading.

Spurs forward Williams has little time to shine

Web Posted: 10/26/2006 12:10 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102606.04D.BKNspurs.willliams.35bb701.html

Acquired to be a spot defender against forwards such as Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, he likely will get a chance to defend Nowitzki in the Spurs' exhibition finale against the Mavericks in Dallas on Friday night.

The exhibition finale is actually in San Antonio Friday night...not in Dallas. Guarding Dirk constitutes also guarding whoever he switches to on 2-man screen/rolls when the Spurs switch the screens.

ploto
10-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Wanting to be close to his son does not excuse the cancer he was in Toronto. If he really wanted to be closer to him this season, he would have opted out this summer like he could have and signed with someone closer to home. He knew though that he couldn't get anywhere near the $4.3M he is getting, so he made his choice. Not to say that everyone wouldn't make that same choice, but to act like he is upset because he did not get traded back to the NJ area is misleading. He had a choice to put the decision about his location into his own hands.

Where are all the bashers to harrass him for being out of shape when he got to camp. This was his chance.

T Park
10-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey ploto, why dont you ride Beno's ass like you ride Eric's?

Hell why didnt you ride Rasho's ass for being a huge wuss?

Notorious H.O.P.
10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Ploto's point is valid. This is business and where you get traded to is where you get traded to. Just because you get traded to a non-contender or further from your home base doesn't give you the excuse to behave in a manner disruptive to your team. If you're unhappy, call your agent and work with the team and the league to cancel the remainder of your contract. None of this buyout crap. It sickens me when I see someone like Mourning hold a team hostage by not only refusing to show up and honor your contract, but forcing them to pay a huge buyout so the team doesn't get a rep as an unfriendly player destination.

That being said, it looks like Williams is bringing the right attitude into this situation and I hope it remains that way. If he has any gas left in the tank, it is possible that he can be a significant addition to the team.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2006, 01:54 PM
He played fine his first year in Toronto. This "cancer" business is overblown.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2006, 03:44 PM
He played fine his first year in Toronto. This "cancer" business is overblown.
Yeah, at least he reported.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
It's too easy to blame only Williams for what happened in Toronto.
Williamshas played a lot of years in the league and wasn't a cancer. Even if Williams wasn't happy to play with Raptors, I'm quite sure that the staff/FO is too responsible.

ploto
10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
It's too easy to blame only Williams for what happened in Toronto.
Williams has played a lot of years in the league and wasn't a cancer. Even if Williams wasn't happy to play with Raptors, I'm quite sure that the staff/FO is too responsible.

Why not me? Williams asks

By DEAN McNULTY -- Toronto Sun

Not everybody in Raptorland was lining up yesterday to offer Jalen Rose a pat on the back and an "atta-boy" on his trade to the New York Knicks for Antonio Davis.

Little-used forward Eric Williams was furious that he wasn't the player headed to the bright lights and big city that is New York.

A native of Newark, N.J., just across the Hudson River from the Big Apple, Williams has done everything but take out a billboard to let the Raptors know that he wanted a trade ever since he arrived here in the ill-fated Vince Carter swap last season.

Williams is a 10-year NBA veteran and has a young son still living in the New York area with his parents.

Last night, he was bitter when asked for his reaction to the trade that will bring Antonio Davis to the Raptors.

"It looks like I'll be stuck here forever," Williams said.

When pressed further, Williams waved off the questioner saying he didn't have anything more to say.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Toronto/2006/02/04/1425986-sun.html

As I said before- if he wanted out of Toronto so bad he would not have picked up his option this summer- he could have gone wherever he wanted. But he chose to risk being "stuck" another year in Toronto or being traded wherever he was traded.

Doesn't the fact that he showed up out of shape mean anything?

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:46 PM
^ I know what he has said.
Raptor's FO have made him understood that he wasn't a part of Raps' future, it's logical that he wasn't happy when he wasn't traded with Davis.

And don't forget that he has reported unlike Mourning.

ploto
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I won't give him a prize for showing up- sorry. And publicly griping about wanting to be traded won't win points with me either. You should still be professional and not cause friction.

Still no answer- if he hated Toronto so much why did he pick up his option? I can give you 4.3 milion reasons.

I still predict he gets Ron Mercered after they can't trade him in February.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
As I said before- if he wanted out of Toronto so bad he would not have picked up his option this summer- he could have gone wherever he wanted. But he chose to risk being "stuck" another year in Toronto or being traded wherever he was traded.

it's $4M. And even if he wanted to be traded, he wasn't a cancer since he played after the Davis trade.

Doesn't the fact that he showed up out of shape mean anything?

It doesn't mean that he is a cancer. Being in shape isn't the eassiest thing to do especially when you're old, when ou don't play a lot and when you have been injured.

ploto
10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Being in shape isn't the eassiest thing to do especially when you're old.
He's younger than Bruce.

boutons_
10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
If he's old, and hurt, and outta shape, he should retire.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 05:06 PM
He's younger than Bruce.

Your point ?
I haven't said that Williams is perfect but he is far from being "a cancer".

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-26-2006, 09:15 PM
He's not a cancer, he's a solid community guy. He comes from Jersey, and when he was finally traded there it was his ideal NBA job. Then, because VC is a wanker, he was traded away from the place he ultimately wanted to be, and where his son is settled. He's allowed to be a little pissed at that.

Once he's fit, I think he'll be a very good off-the-bench defender and hustle guy ala Malik for 12-15 minutes a night behind Bruce. Give the guy a chance!

And, for that matter, once Beno is healthy we should give him a chance too. A final chance. Let the team down again and he's blown his NBA career anyway, but we should give both these guys a shot at fixing things.

Life is not black and white, it would be simpler if it was, but it's not, and we all should remember that.

Zunni
10-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Eric is what he is: a guy who's salary fit a spot that allowed SA to dump about $16M of Rasho in 07 and 08. If he gets into shape and helps out, great. If he isn't much help, but not a problem, good, alternating IR and active as the situation merits. If he is a problem, Mercerize him. It's not really complicated.

ploto
10-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Eric is what he is: a guy who's salary fit a spot that allowed SA to dump about $16M of Rasho in 07 and 08. If he gets into shape and helps out, great. If he isn't much help, but not a problem, good, alternating IR and active as the situation merits. If he is a problem, Mercerize him. It's not really complicated.
I agree. People act like the Spurs coveted him or something. He is here for the simple reason that Toronto wanted Rasho and to get rid of him- and he had an expiring contract so the Spurs took him. He'll only be in SA one season at the very most.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-27-2006, 12:31 AM
If he can get his head back in the game and if he can get back in shape, I think he could be a contributer but those are some huge ifs. I'll give him credit for saying the right things though. Now he has to walk the walk.

Kori Ellis
10-27-2006, 12:32 AM

Exactly.

And you get points for using Mercer as a verb:)

whottt
10-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Exactly.

And you get points for using Mercer as a verb:)

What does Chump get for wanting to use him as a point guard?