PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider NCAA CFB Picks (Oct. 28th)

johngateswhiteley
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Picks: Florida parties past UGa; Mizzou tops OU
Insider
Feldman
By Bruce Feldman
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

I had a very good week going 10-5 against the line. In review, the good: picking both WVU and UVa to cruise in the early games. The bad: picking Nebraska to win outright against Texas, and the ugly: picking Louisville to smoke the 'Cuse.

For the season: 65-51-5

This week's guesses and since I'm in scramble mode while on the road, they really are guesses even more than usual:

Thursday, Oct. 26

No. 10 Clemson 30, Virginia Tech 17: The Tigers roll into Blacksburg riding a lethal ground game powered by the nation's toughest O-line. It'll be interesting to see how the Hokies respond at home after the debacle a couple of weeks ago on national TV. Their pride had to be hurt. If they were playing anyone else in the ACC, I think they'd be fired up enough to get the W, but right now Clemson is playing too good.

Thing that has me sold: The Tigers' veteran O-line.

Saturday, Oct. 28

No. 1 Ohio State 42, Minnesota 14: The Gophers were embarrassed Saturday by a late one-point win over North Dakota State at home, but I don't see them rallying to keep this one close. OSU is too good on both sides of the ball and has far too many weapons for Minnesota, which is reeling these days.

Thing that has me sold: Troy Smith.

No. 2 Michigan 45, Northwestern 10: NU's nightmarish season can't end soon enough. Part of me thinks this is one game where the Wolverines might come out flat, but given all the Wildcats have had to deal with in the last two months I just don't expect they have anything left in the tank to avoid the rout.

Thing that has me sold: Northwestern on the downside of the roller coaster.

No. 3 USC 35, Oregon State 7: The Trojans are due. They haven't been as bad as everyone seems to be saying. True, they don't have much of a game-breaking threat, but they still have a boatload of weapons. I suspect this will be the week the USC pass rush awakens and sparks some turnovers.

Thing that has me sold: USC gets inspired after Reggie Bush's visit.

No. 5 Texas 31, Texas Tech 17: UT's run defense has been downright nasty. Michigan nasty. True, the Horns are a bit dinged up on the D-line, but they are one of the few programs deep enough to handle it. Meanwhile Tech's lack of strong senior leadership has turned this team into one lucky to go bowling. I think the Red Raiders will get most of their points after the Longhorns have fired up the bus.

Thing that has me sold: UT's defense.

No. 8 Tennessee 27, South Carolina 17: Unless Gamecocks D-coordinator Ty Nix goes back to his chaotic scheming this week, I think Erik Ainge and his superb wideouts will have a big bounce-back game. This will be a good chance for folks to find out just how gifted the Vols' receiving tandem is.

Thing that has me sold: The Vols' passing attack.

No. 9 Florida 31, Georgia 14: It was a nice time for the Gators to have an off week to catch their breath. I suspect that Chris Leak will have an answer for his shaky road performance against Auburn. Plus, as long as Marcus Thomas is able to suit up for the Gators, their defense will be nasty -- and I expect him to be running wild Saturday against the underwhelming UGa O-line.

Thing that has me sold: The feeble UGa passing game.

No. 11 Notre Dame 38, Navy 10: With the Middies having to rely on a backup QB, they simply won't be dynamic enough to dent the Irish defense, and while it isn't very good, that unit has most of its problems via the air. Also, the ND O-line, which was overmatched again last Saturday against UCLA, gets an undersized Navy front that it should be able to handle. This will be a good chance for Charlie Weis to get his run game going a little.

Thing that has me sold: Navy without its starting QB.

No. 17 Wisconsin 28, Illinois 10: The Big Ten's most impressive freshman, Wisky's sledge-hammer P.J. Hill, faces the league's youngest team. I do like the Illini's improvement. Juice Williams is going to make more than his share of mistakes, but he will also do enough positive things to give Illini fans hope. Still, I think the Badgers are too physical for the young opponent.

Thing that has me sold: The Badgers' toughness.

No. 23 Missouri 17, No. 19 Oklahoma 13: I like the improvement the Sooners D has made over the last few weeks and I believe seeing Adrian Peterson go down has drawn some inspired play out of them. On the other side, even though the Tigers have been nicked up themselves on defense, I expect them to rally. Playing at home will be a big difference for the young Tigers attack.

Thing that has me sold: The Tigers have the better QB.

No. 20 Nebraska 30, Oklahoma State 24: The Huskers didn't get the upset last Saturday against Texas, but I suspect they took a lot out of their performance, which was a lot better than it was against USC. Expect NU's ground game to bounce back Saturday, although the Cowboys' gifted wideouts could expose a group of DBs that always seems pretty ripe. In fact, OSU's passing game almost made me pick the Cowboys, but I'll ride NU on the hunch.

Thing that has me sold: Playing a hunch.

No. 21 Georgia Tech 17, Miami 14: Last year Calvin Johnson gave Miami fits and the star wideout is coming off a game where he was shut out. Tech must find more ways to get him the ball, especially against a UM defense that has not been very good against the pass. The Canes young wideouts have started to emerge which is a big thing since Javarris James struggled last Saturday and you can expect Tech DC Jon Tenuta to unsettle the Miami front again this Saturday. I don't see UM winning unless Kyle Wright has his best game as a quarterback, whereas I can see Tech winning with Reggie Ball playing like Reggie Ball.

Thing that has me sold: Miami's shaky mindset.

No. 22 Texas A&M 27, Baylor 20: The Bears are finding themselves in their pass-happy new offensive scheme, but so is the physical Aggie running attack, which I think finally has given A&M an identity for the first time in years.

Thing that has me sold: A&M's ground attack.

Washington State 24, UCLA 17: I suspect the heart was torn out of the Bruins after coming so close to the upset last Saturday in South Bend. Meanwhile the Cougars are going in the opposite direction.

Thing that has me sold: Riding out the momentum wave.

Sunday, Oct. 29

No. 16 Rutgers 31, UConn 6: This is a showcase game for the surging Scarlet Knights and their outstanding running back tandem. Lost in all of the Ray Rice/Rutgers hysteria has been the terrific job Greg Schiano has done working as the defensive coordinator. RU's D-line dominated a group that had been playing well for Pittsburgh. I think this will be more of the same.

Thing that has me sold: The improved RU defense.

Bruce Feldman is a senior writer with ESPN The Magazine.

johngateswhiteley
10-26-2006, 07:57 PM
i think i agree with all these picks, except i think South Carolina and OSU could win. the gamecocks always have a chance with the ol' ball coach and nebraska could have a letdown after that tough loss to t.u., although its not like OSU does not have enough talent to win that game anyway...i just think, all things being equal, the huskers are about 10 points better.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
God damnit please someone, anyone with a decent knowledge of the game tell me why the fuck troy smith is this year's reggie bush....WHY?????

What hte fuck has he done? What??? His numbers are good, but not over the top impressive, this will be the lamest heisman announcement since when Jason White won it;actually, when White won I declared that I would never again respect the award, so I guess me starting this thread was moot.