PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts

cherylsteele
10-26-2006, 02:09 PM
I had my eye doctor appointment yesterday and gome my prescription and all for glasses and contacts. I was going to ask them about Lasik but....

During he examination where they shine that damned light into your eyes she said I had the beginings of catarcts in both eyes....that instantly ruled out Lasik. She said that when they remove that catract they put in lenses so I won't need glasses at all...I guess a blessing in disguise.....since insurance covers that.

I am to go back in 6 mos for a follow up to see if the situation has worsened....soone if I experience problems.

Being only 42, it unusual....but not unheard of. I have a family history of this, so it really is al that shocking. At least it is treatable and it is in its early stages. :depressed :depressed

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry. But you are right, at least it's treatable. I have a friend who had cataracts in her early 40's as well.

Good luck to you.

ShoogarBear
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Not all cataracts end up needing surgery, so there's still hope. But I don't think they'll ever do Lasik now.

cherylsteele
10-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Not all cataracts end up needing surgery, so there's still hope. But I don't think they'll ever do Lasik now.
You're right....after the doctir told me that I said "I guess this rules out Lasik huh?" before she even had a chance to tell me.

The cataracts are effecting my right eye some....it is a little blurry....she said it is possible the cataract is effecting your vision even now.

Guru of Nothing
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Best wishes on dealing with this!

There's a problem with eyesight in my family history, but I always forget and wonder, is it cataracts, or glaucoma? Really, I don't know.

Damn my AD ....xyz .... D (seriously).

I think glaucoma is the one I have to keep an "eye" out for.

cherylsteele
10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Best wishes on dealing with this!

There's a problem with eyesight in my family history, but I always forget and wonder, is it cataracts, or glaucoma? Really, I don't know.

Damn my AD ....xyz .... D (seriously).

I think glaucoma is the one I have to keep an "eye" out for.
Glaucoma can be a pain....it is treatable if caught early. That little eye test they do with a little puff of air measures the eye pressure which shows glaucoma. Luckily mine was normal.

Thanks for the wishes....I feel better know it is treatable. My mom as jus diagnosed a month or so ago with cataracts too....I have few friends as well that have it done with no complications. I am just uneasy because...hey...it is the eyes....any mistake could cost my vision. It does seem to be a "routine" procedure though.

cherylsteele
01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Update:

I had my surgery Monday for my right eye.....my depth perception is bad right now is getting better by the day. The actual surgery was a breeze...absolutely no pain. I see better than I have in some time.

Mixability
01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
It'll rule out Lasik, but depending on how early it is, they'll fit you for an intraocular lens implant that would give you the same visual acuity results as Lasik. We've done nearly blind people and we overshoot the correction in the implanted lens to make up for the near/far sightedness. They sometimes end up with 20/15 vision. Hopefully you were in this boat.

cherylsteele
01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
It'll rule out Lasik, but depending on how early it is, they'll fit you for an intraocular lens implant that would give you the same visual acuity results as Lasik. We've done nearly blind people and we overshoot the correction in the implanted lens to make up for the near/far sightedness. They sometimes end up with 20/15 vision. Hopefully you were in this boat.
My astigmatism was/is pretty bad....but they came pretty darn close to 20/20.

My implant was 13mm length and 6mm optic....12 OD power.

So far I am quite pleased with the results.

Yep....Lasik is definitely out of the question....but since I get similar results...and it is covered by insurance.....I am just as happy. I'll just possibly need reading glasses.

Mixability
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
My astigmatism was/is pretty bad....but they came pretty darn close to 20/20.

My implant was 13mm length and 6mm optic....12 OD power.

So far I am quite pleased with the results.

Yep....Lasik is definitely out of the question....but since I get similar results...and it is covered by insurance.....I am just as happy. I'll just possibly need reading glasses.

Thats good. I was at least 20/400 in both eyes, then the morning after Lasik, I was 20/20. For the last 2 years, I've had 20/15 vision. So you know I'm happy about the results.

Shelly
01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
That's great news, Cheryl.

I'm 20/400 in my right also. But since I have big pupils, the doctor said if I had Lasik done, there would be a good chance I'd constantly see halos. I've had certain brands of contacts do that and it drove me nuts.

exstatic
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
That's great news, Cheryl.

I'm 20/400 in my right also. But since I have big pupils, the doctor said if I had Lasik done, there would be a good chance I'd constantly see halos. I've had certain brands of contacts do that and it drove me nuts.
What doctor told you this? They've been able to cut bigger flaps for a couple of years now and almost no one has halo problems any more. I had big pupils, too, and have had no problems for 4.5 years, post LASIK. Go see Ed Rashid. His office is on Fred road, outside of 410. He's the best in the biz, and you can get a free eval appointment. He's the Spurs team eye doctor, too.

Shelly
01-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I'd be the one that would get messed up :lol

Besides, I've been wearing contacts for so long now, I don't even notice them.