PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Waive All Three

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have waived guards Melvin Sanders and Charles Lee and forward Jamar Smith.

Sanders, who saw action in 16 games for the Spurs last season, appeared in four preseason contests where he averaged 4.0 points and 1.0 rebounds in 9.8 minutes. The 6-3 Lee had 2.7 points and 1.2 assists in six preseason games. Smith averaged 3.0 points and 2.2 rebounds in five preseason contests.

The Spurs roster stands at 14.

alamo50
10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have waived guards Melvin Sanders and Charles Lee and forward Jamar Smith.

Sanders, who saw action in 16 games for the Spurs last season, appeared in four preseason contests where he averaged 4.0 points and 1.0 rebounds in 9.8 minutes. The 6-3 Lee had 2.7 points and 1.2 assists in six preseason games. Smith averaged 3.0 points and 2.2 rebounds in five preseason contests.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Same time. So I combined them :)

alamo50
10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Great minds post alike.

;)

redskinfan
10-26-2006, 03:33 PM
This means DBrown23 is back>?

ATX Spur
I hope something is in the works. Please.

Kori Ellis
This means DBrown23 is back>?

Or it means the Spurs are only carrying 14.

Brutalis
10-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Anyways!

timvp
The Spurs better be bringing someone in. There is no excuse for Peter Holt to go cheap. There are players out there that could at the very least be good insurance.

sandman
Or it means the Spurs are only carrying 14.

Outside of financial considerations, wouldn't they want to carry 15 if simply to keep a developing talent out of the marketplace?

redskinfan
10-26-2006, 03:36 PM
bring back DBrown Dammit

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Outside of financial considerations, wouldn't they want to carry 15 if simply to keep a developing talent out of the marketplace?

Nothing outside finances.

Last year they didn't carry 15 either.

Brutalis
10-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Holt = Steinbrinner(sp?)

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:39 PM
A lot of worthy players are getting cut from other teams. There's guys with guaranteed contracts that are getting cut. So perhaps, the Spurs are just going to wait and see if someone good is getting released.

timvp
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/Devin_Brown-arton20887-240x240.jpg

If the Spurs don't at the very least bring in Devin Brown for the minimum, I'm going to go ghostal up in here. Holt's cheapness hurt the Spurs' chances last year. If he pulls that again, he might as well just sell the team.

whottt
So who's on the IR?

Butler and Williams? Williams and Beno?

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Bonner and Williams?

whottt
10-26-2006, 03:41 PM

If the Spurs don't at the very least bring in Devin Brown for the minimum, I'm going to go ghostal up in here. Holt's hurt the Spurs' chances last year. If he pulls that again, he might as well just sell the team.

If they were bringing Devin in wouldn't they have already done so?

Don't get me wrong...obviously Devin can help, but it just seems to me if they had plans to use him they would have brought him in long ago so he could get into shape...You know how Pop is about that kind of stuff.

timvp
10-26-2006, 03:42 PM
So who's on the IR?

Butler and Williams? Williams and Beno?

Butler, Beno or Bonner and Williams would be my guess.

whottt
10-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Bonner and Williams?

Why Bonner?

Isn't he supposed to be the hustle guy?

Since when is TimVP a huge jocker of IR guys?

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Why Bonner?

I just threw Bonner's name in the ring because he seems out of shape and he's shooting like crap from 3 so far.

whottt
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
How come Bonner is getting IR'ed?

I haven't gotten to see the Spurs play...why would they IR a career 42% 3 shooter who hustles and can play on the perimeter?

SA210
10-26-2006, 03:44 PM
The cut that matters to me the most is when they finally let Stan Kelly go. I wait everyday to hear the good news. I guess I'll just have to wait even longer.

timvp
10-26-2006, 03:44 PM
If they were bringing Devin in wouldn't they have already done so?

Don't get me wrong...obviously Devin can help, but it just seems to me if they had plans to use him they would have brought him in long ago so he could get into shape...You know how Pop is about that kind of stuff.

Devin knows the plays and the system. Perhaps they thought that it'd be unfair to the threesome who was around if they brought in someone who was obviously better.

But, yeah, you are probably right. Holt will pocket the savings and then the Spurs will have no insurance policy ... just like last year all over again.

whottt
10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I just threw Bonner's name in the ring because he seems out of shape and he's shooting like crap from 3 so far.

Ahh ok.

Guys that never had to play D always shoot like crap their first year here...You can pretty much peg the ones that are going to struggle...

Whereas the Defensive shooters(Bruce, Mario, Horry) usually shoot better.

timvp
10-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Why Bonner?

I like what Bonner could potentially bring but I don't know who else the Spurs can IR. They need Vaughn on the active list because Beno is just waiting to sprain something. The Spurs can't give up on Elson already. Butler is looking too good to be put on IR.

Hopefully by the end of the year, the IR is Elson and Vaughn.

whottt
10-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Devin knows the plays and the system. Perhaps they thought that it'd be unfair to the threesome who was around if they brought in someone who was obviously better.

But, yeah, you are probably right. Holt will pocket the savings and then the Spurs will have no insurance policy ... just like last year all over again.

Devin can do a lot of things we need...most notably defend pain in the butt big or tall SF types like Melo, Artest, Bonzi and even Dirk...but yeah, knowing Pop, if he was gonna be here he'd already have been here IMO.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
They can change it game to game, so I don't really care who it is. If Beno isn't ready by Nov 2, it can be him and Williams (since Williams is fat).

timvp
10-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Qyntel Woods is out there. Theron Smith is out there. Kasib Powell is out there. Milt Palacio is out there. Guys like Andre Barrett, Ime Udoka, Matt Barnes and Anthony Roberson could get cut soon.

There's no reason to stay at 14. The Spurs need an extra swingman in case of an injury or if Brent Barry takes over the backup PG job. If the Spurs have given up on Beno, then they better get another PG on this team.

polandprzem
10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
:sleep

ashbeeigh
10-26-2006, 03:59 PM
:dizzy I thought they would keep at least 15. I just don't understand the Spurs organization sometimes.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
:dizzy I thought they would keep at least 15. I just don't understand the Spurs organization sometimes.

They still might keep 15. Maybe just one of these three wasn't the one.

timvp
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Last year if they would have kept someone like Devin, GRob, Sharrod Ford, Stephen Graham, etc. ... then they would have had some options against the Mavs. The Spurs went cheap and it cost them.

Hopefully they don't do the same this season.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Not a surprise.
Spurs have cut them because of the luxury tax.
I don't think that Spurs need a 15th player : 3 PG, 5 wings and 6 bigs is enough and players available aren't really interesting.

timvp
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Not a surprise.
Spurs have cut them because of the luxury tax.
I don't think that Spurs need a 15th player : 3 PG, 5 wings and 6 bigs is enough and players available aren't really interesting.

It won't be enough if it becomes 4 PG, 4 wings and 6 bigs. And it wasn't enough last year when the Spurs had no one to guard Dirk.

There are dozens of project Long Threes out there. It makes no sense not to pick one up.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Last year if they would have kept someone like Devin, GRob, Sharrod Ford, Stephen Graham, etc. ... then they would have had some options against the Mavs. The Spurs went cheap and it cost them.

Hopefully they don't do the same this season.
Maybe they should go ahead and cut all the centers now. :D

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Does Devin live in San Antonio??

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Does Devin live in San Antonio??

Yes.

ashbeeigh
10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
They still might keep 15. Maybe just one of these three wasn't the one.

Probably, I'm pulling for Devin myself. CIA Pop, as always.

whottt
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Qyntel Woods is out there. Theron Smith is out there. Kasib Powell is out there. Milt Palacio is out there. Guys like Andre Barrett, Ime Udoka, Matt Barnes and Anthony Roberson could get cut soon.

There's no reason to stay at 14. The Spurs need an extra swingman in case of an injury or if Brent Barry takes over the backup PG job. If the Spurs have given up on Beno, then they better get another PG on this team.

Maybe the Spurs have a trade in the works...and they got a guy they know they want.

timvp
10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe the Spurs have a trade in the works...and they got a guy they know they want.

Doubt it. The Spurs would have waited until the trade was official before waiving these players.

This just sounds like a directive from Peter Holt to save some change.

Drive Like Jehu
10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
They can change it game to game, so I don't really care who it is. If Beno isn't ready by Nov 2, it can be him and Williams (since Williams is fat).

I agree, it's going to be Beno and Williams.

You earn your minutes in Pop's system. Beno and Williams put in the least during training camp and therefore will start the season with the least amount of minutes.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:14 PM
It won't be enough if it becomes 4 PG, 4 wings and 6 bigs. And it wasn't enough last year when the Spurs had no one to guard Dirk.

Barry is still for the moment a wing. It's unlikely that he will be Spurs backup PG.
Don't forget that Spurs hace Williams this year. Even at 80%, he will do a better job and Dirk that available players.

There are dozens of project Long Threes out there. It makes no sense not to pick one up.

Dozens of below average projects.
The best one is maybe Matt Barnes and it's not sure that Warriors will cut him.

ducks
10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
yeah fuck cheap ass holt
he was one of a handfully willing to pay the tax last year
fucking cheap bastered

Solid D
10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
The Spurs did the same thing last year, cutting Graham, Ford and Sanders and cut the roster down to 14...then 2 weeks later, they re-signed Sanders when Manu (ankle) and Brent (back) were ailing.

They may just be trying to get by with 14 until they are forced to buy some insurance.

whottt
10-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Doubt it. The Spurs would have waited until the trade was official before waiving these players.

This just sounds like a directive from Peter Holt to save some change.

But these guys don't even get the vet min right? They are like 300-400k players right? So I mean 700-800k that's a really small out amount of change to be saving...

Isn't the limitation on trading Williams up now?

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:18 PM
The Spurs did the same thing last year, cutting Graham, Ford and Sanders and cut the roster down to 14...then 2 weeks later, they re-signed Sanders when Manu (ankle) and Brent (back) were ailing.

They may just be trying to get by with 14 until they are forced to buy some insurance.

They cut the roster to 13 last year.
This year Spurs will have one more swing (Williams).

Bruno
10-26-2006, 04:21 PM
But these guys don't even get the vet min right? They are like 300-400k players right? So I mean 700-800k that's a really small out amount of change to be saving...

Isn't the limitation on trading Williams up now?

They have waived them not because of their salaries but because Spurs are just over the luxury tax. They want to keep flexibilty to go underthe tax threshold with a trade before the trade deadline.

ducks
10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
can they not change the ir from game to game though

Solid D
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Bruno, I believe you are right, the Spurs did cut it to 13 last year. Good catch.

ploto
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey LJ- you left off Skita! :lol

ploto
10-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Spurs just don't seem to me to be interested in taking on one young player and developing him.

PDBM2
10-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I saw Devin Brown last night at Lifetime.

I haven't been keeping up as much as I'd like to with the NBA, last I heard he was traded for DFish to Golden State. So I asked him, he said "na, I'm waiting on a call". If our roster is at 14, and he's in the city (even though he is from here)...who knows? It could happen.

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Seems like good preparation to see who gets cut before the season starts - a Rawle Marshall here or there. I'm with most here, though, who see this as nothing. They can pick up Sanders or Devin Brown if they have to a few weeks from now.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I saw Devin Brown last night at Lifetime.

I haven't been keeping up as much as I'd like to with the NBA, last I heard he was traded for DFish to Golden State. So I asked him, he said "na, I'm waiting on a call". If our roster is at 14, and he's in the city (even though he is from here)...who knows? It could happen.

He got cut by Golden State

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 05:14 PM
One thing this signifies is they're not keeping Melvin Sanders just because he's a good teammate and Duncan likes him. This is probably a good sign. While he's probably a good person, that's not a great reason to have him. This frees us up to nab a waived player, just in case.

Of course I hope they have someone in mind. Tshkitishvili? :toast :dizzy

Samr
10-26-2006, 05:15 PM
If I was the Spurs, I would IR Horry to start. No sense in even THINKING about putting extra miles on his legs this early in the season.

They might even be able to use him as a coach protege, a la Avery for the Mavs. Just rest the dude. His season starts in May.

Streakyshooter08
10-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Mhm... Ebi got waived by the Mavs. Would you guys pick him up? He is a long 3 (6'9, 200). Is he able to play some defense? I would not mind him as 15th man...

Das Texan
10-26-2006, 05:31 PM
http://www.sarampage.com/artman/uploads/peter_holt.jpg

Brother can you spare a dime?

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Mhm... Ebi got waived by the Mavs. Would you guys pick him up? He is a long 3 (6'9, 200). Is he able to play some defense? I would not mind him as 15th man...

Well, he had 18 and 8 against the Spurs once, if that's any indication (and it isn't).

RC's Boss
10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I would prefer someone thats gone thru trng camp vs. Devin.

RC's Boss
10-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, he had 18 and 8 against the Spurs once, if that's any indication (and it isn't).
You never know. I say let's do it :toast

romsho
10-26-2006, 08:30 PM
There is no reason the Spurs should not sign Devin Brown. At the moment, they have the weakest bench ever in the Tim Duncan era, he knows the system, he can defend smaller or bigger players- for the cheap ass Spurs, even his salary is somewhat determined by his time in the league. Time to quit nickel and dimieing it. They need him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Anyone tell me why the waived Melzer? Wasn't he showing any potential? It's surprising that they are not signing a young, long 3 for the minimum just to see if they can develop him. Are we that close to the lux tax?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Trade Bonner and Beno for Boykins so there's only one IR spot. But then I don't know who to put on the IR.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2006, 09:18 PM
:lol Why is everyone bummed about us cutting three scrubs? All this gloom and doom shit over a couple of scrub wingmen.

Spurs just don't seem to me to be interested in taking on one young player and developing him.

Just because none of these three are the ones doesn't mean they're not interested. IF they don't pick anyone up, then yeah we've got a cheap ass owner, but there's several NBA rosters out there with more than 15 that are going to have to make cuts in the next few days, so it's good business sense for them to see who falls onto the waiver wire before making any move.

angel_luv
10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
I am sorry Melvin was cut. I had hoped we could utilize him on the team this year.

RC's Boss
10-26-2006, 10:24 PM
My mortgage is $1245 per month. Hopefully Holt will help me pay it w/ the money he saved :eyebrows

T-Pain
10-26-2006, 10:35 PM

nooo not melvin!!!

mattyc
10-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Christ, sign Devin already. The boy can play.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Why are you people upset about Sanders? The guy was a scrub. Geez.

PDBM2
10-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Funny story...

I had no idea the Spurs had a chance of signing Devin. I just thought he was in town. So we're playing full court, and on the game winning shot he faked in, and stepped back for the 2, I swiped for it, got a piece and got his hand as well...and he ended up on the ground :D It wans't vicious or anything, but piont is when he got up I was just kidding with him "Devin, you're not on the Spurs anymore...you're fair game now man." =/ I guess I spoke too soon.

But seriously, has there been any sort of indication he might sign with us? Other then fans pipe dreams.

theroc5
10-26-2006, 10:58 PM

If the Spurs don't at the very least bring in Devin Brown for the minimum, I'm going to go ghostal up in here. Holt's cheapness hurt the Spurs' chances last year. If he pulls that again, he might as well just sell the team.
ill join ya

theroc5
10-26-2006, 11:00 PM
i was really starting to like melvin and i do not know why we would cut him enless they think he cant get alot more playing time else where but still why cut everyone? we better be getting some one, hopefully devin.

PDBM2
10-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Why would Devin sign for the minimum?

He's worked real hard to get in the position he is now. If I were him I'd just sit out the year and sign on somewhere next year. Or maybe mid-season with a team.

timvp
10-26-2006, 11:15 PM

Because that's all any team would give him.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 11:15 PM

He's worked real hard to get in the position he is now. If I were him I'd just sit out the year and sign on somewhere next year. Or maybe mid-season with a team.

Sitting out a year would probably get him the minimum next year anyway. Minimum isn't peanuts for him, he needs to take whatever he can get to stay in the NBA. Or if being in the NBA isn't important to him, get as much money as he can and go overseas.

I am wondering if his rep of being late/absent from practice is causing him to not get looks from other teams.

PDBM2
10-26-2006, 11:19 PM
That's odd.

How has he gone froma key player on a championship team, to getting a nice deal from Utah, to being traded for Derek Fisher, to a guy who is barely getting the minimum offer...if that, from any NBA team.

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 11:21 PM
He wasn't a key player on a championship team, he was deep, deep on the bench and didn't play in the playoffs really.

He was cut because he strangely signed a contract guaranteeing him only half a mil. Most teams are trying to cut down rosters right now, not add players, plus he has back problems. We'll see what his future holds.

PDBM2
10-26-2006, 11:26 PM
He wasn't a key player on a championship team, he was deep, deep on the bench and didn't play in the playoffs really.

Mengke Bateer is deep on the bench. Sean Marks is deep on the bench.

Devin Brown played a key role coming off the bench for us.

T Park
10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
In the regular season yeah, Devin hardly played in the playoffs.

ploto
10-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Just because none of these three are the ones doesn't mean they're not interested. IF they don't pick anyone up, then yeah we've got a cheap ass owner, but there's several NBA rosters out there with more than 15 that are going to have to make cuts in the next few days, so it's good business sense for them to see who falls onto the waiver wire before making any move.
But they did make a move- they cut them all. I don't think the Spurs were ever interested in any of them. They all signed on for some experience- some exposure- and a trip to France.

They did the same thing last year. Sanders was brought in off and on when someone got hurt. Are you telling me that for a couple of straight seasons the Spurs can't find one guy- one young one- who is worth a couple of hundred thousand dollars to develop.

Spurs16212
10-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Isn't Finley going to leave us soon or retire...... Wouldn't Devin give us more athletic abilities and youth........ If Barry is going to roll into minutes in the point guard position, then Devin can fit some minutes in the two guard spot..

Notorious H.O.P.
10-27-2006, 12:07 AM
This happens all the time. Teams bring in guys to provide extra bodies for practices, hope one pans out enough to take a longer look at and if not, they cut them. For the guys on the fringe, they try their best knowing that good play might get them on some team, some where. Sure they hope, but a lot of them don't have any illusions. They do it for the experience and a chance to latch on someplace else.

That being said, I think we all hope they Spurs take the time to find someone who has the potential to be useful for us. We know that our team is aging and we want to bring a young guy in to take over when our guys begin to lose a step. But most of these training camp guys are retreads or are missing a vital skill that keeps them out of the league. Diamonds in the rough are hard to find but you got to keep trying and hopefully the Spurs believe that.

SequSpur
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
In the regular season yeah, Devin hardly played in the playoffs.

bullfukinshit. i declare

u don't know shit about nothin.

crown and seven is some good shit.

btw, keep selling tix to the tiltawhirl bitch ass.

quitin bitch.

mikejones99
10-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Golden State must be crazy or Devin is injured

ShoogarBear
10-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Devin Brown learned his lousy practice habits from that boolshit high school he went to.

SequSpur
10-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Devin Brown learned his lousy practice habits from that boolshit high school he went to.

your ass..

west campus is a Class F kind've school. beyitch.

hail to thee

West campus high...

we pledge our loyalty...

gospursgojas
10-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Lets all email don harris

whottt
10-27-2006, 03:35 AM
That's odd.

How has he gone froma key player on a championship team, to getting a nice deal from Utah, to being traded for Derek Fisher, to a guy who is barely getting the minimum offer...if that, from any NBA team.

He was not a key player on a championship team...he totalled about 30 minutes of playing time the last 1/4th of the season due to a bad back.

He showed potential in the playoffs when we were getting blown out against LA the previous year and showed the ability to score and defend bigger guards and F's during the regular season of the championship year, but he didn't contribute much at all during that post season....our bench, partiocularly in the finals, was basically a two man bench with Horry backing up the PF and C slots and Barry backing up the guard and SF slots.

Still, Devin most definitely does have skills we need and could be a huge contributor this season if signed...

I too am wondering why his stock seems to have fallen so far. Let's face it, getting cut by the Warriors is about as bad as it gets in the NBA...and he's not getting cut and traded by these teams because of his back, there's something else going on here.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 07:00 AM
there are two substantial reasons why Devin was cut by the Warriors.
first: money.
only 500K of Devins 2.6M salary this season are guarranteed. considering the fact, that the Warriors are slightly under the Lux-Tax threshold and that the salary of Devin would have put them over the threeshold, the Warriors have saved almost 4 million dollars by waiving Devin.

second: Warriors are really deep at the SG position and Devin didn't offer any quality another player of the roster didn't provide (mostly at a higher level).
Devin was waived after Dajuan Wagner was signed to a minimum contract. all in all this means, that the Warriors repleaced Devin with Wagner for minus 80% of the money. usually Mullin is a very bad GM, but this move could be called brilliant, especially sice Wagner shows in the preseason, that he is back after his surgery.

i liked Devin when he was at the Spurs, but i don't see a chance that he will be signed again.
he blew his chance, when he decided to play golf instead of working hard during the summer of 2004.
his permanent back problems could also be a result of not enough weight lifting to strengthen his back. anyhow, Pop can't stand a bad working ethic and for sure he won't allow a medium talented player to work less hard than the star players do.

talking about the free roster spot:
IMO the Spurs will watch the situation of other teams, especially the situation in Indy. the have to cut two players out of the group: Rawle Marshall, Josh Powell, John Edwards and Orien Green.
Edwards will be cut for sure, he's virtually worthless, but any of the other three would be a nice addition. (and more valuable for the Spurs than Devin would be).
IMO they will keep Powell (plays very good in the preseason) and Green (they need his defensive abilities to help Tinsley and Jasikevicius).
so Marshall would be the second man to be cut and he would be what the Spurs desperatly need.
but also if the Pacers cut Green, i would prefer him over Devin.

and as another poster mentioned: if the Spurs really wanted to fill the final spot with Devin, it would have already happened.

Solid D
10-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Interesting perspective and excellent first post, mountainballer. Welcome to the Forum.

ShoogarBear
10-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Interesting perspective and excellent first post, mountainballer. Yeah, watch that shit, buddy. :nope

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Mountainballs must be some pretty big balls.

Spurs might know they can sign Devin any time they want. In the next few days they might want to see if they can get a younger talent with better SF size (the Rawle Marshall everyone is mentioning).

About Devin not getting picked up yet... He's 28 already and looks to have plateau'd at what he can do on the court. This is the time of year younger guys with more potential are more attractive, since the sky seems to be the limit. DB will probably get more attention as players go down and teams need a little utility and scoring work here and there. One of those teams might be the Spurs, of course.

Bruno
10-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Ebi or Marshall are itneresting prospect but they are far form being ready to contribute.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I think the Spurs should keep it at 14 until someone gets injured or someone really intriguing comes along...what does it hurt?

Ebi or Marshall are itneresting prospect but they are far form being ready to contribute.

But the 15th man isn't expected to contribute.

Bruno
10-30-2006, 05:23 AM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA103006.ensports.spursmail.88b62dff.html

Now that Devin Brown is available will the Spurs pursue him?

—Daniel Guerra, San Antonio

Don't count on it. Devin's agent called the Spurs last week after they reduced their roster to 14 players, but, for now, the team doesn't have much interest.

The Spurs had trouble finding consistent minutes for Devin when he was splitting time with Brent Barry at the backup wing positions. With Michael Finley also now in the rotation, there's even less room.

Some scouts say Devin hasn't been the same player since injuring his back during the 2004-05 season. When you also consider the Spurs' coaches weren't too pleased with his practice habits, I wouldn't bet on this reunion happening anytime soon.