PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' future draft picks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Bruno
10-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Spurs' 07 draft picks :

28th : Spurs first round pick
33rd : Bucks second round pick (from the Markota trade)
58th : Spurs second round pick

Spurs' workouts :

PG :
Jared Jordan
Gabe Pruitt
Zabian Dowdell
Jamaal Tatum
Aaron Bruce (out)
Ramon Sessions
Petteri Koponen
Mustafa Shakur

SG/SF :
Aaron Afflalo
Demetris Nichols
Ron Lewis
Daequan Cook
Alando Tucker
Morris Almond
Jared Dudley
Sun Yue
DJ Strawberry
David Teague

PF/C :
Carl Landry
Kyle Visser
Nikita Shabalkin (out)
Lamont Hamilton
Aaron Gray
Nick Fazekas
Glen Davis
Jermareo Davidson
Stephane Lasme
Kyrylo Fesenko

Maybe :
Trey Johnson
Wilson Chandler

2007 Calendar :

April 2 : End of the NCAA tournament
April 4 - April 7 : Portsmouth invitational tournament
April 7 : 2007 Nike Hoop Summit - Memphis
April 18 : End of the nba regular season
April 29 : NBA Draft's early entry eligibility deadline
May 22 : Draft Lottery - New York
May 28 - June 3 : NBA pre-draft camp - Orlando
June 5 : Start of the workouts
June 9 - June 12 : Rbk eurocamp - Treviso
June 18 : Draft early entrant withdrawl deadline
June 25 : Deadline for Oberto to pick his player option (it could have an influence on what Spurs will do with their picks)
June 28 : NBA Draft - New York

Links :

Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)
CBA faq (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm)

Bruno
10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I've posted this because I've discovered that Spurs have Bulls second round pick (top 51 protected).
This pick come from the Erick Barkley trade (he was a filler in the Daniels/Kerr).

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
What's that Chicago pick from?

This makes little sense to me. From the Chicago portion. If it occurs within the Top 51, then:

2007 second round draft pick to San Antonio
Chicago’s own 2007 2nd round pick to San Antonio (top 51 protected). If Chicago's own 2007 2nd round pick is in the top 51 picks, then Chicago's obligations to convey a second round pick to San Antonio are extinguished. [Chicago – San Antonio, 10/25/2002]

2007 second round draft pick to Portland
Chicago's own 2007 2nd round pick to Portland (only if in the top 51 picks). If Chicago's own 2007 2nd round pick is not in the top 51 picks, then Chicago shall instead convey its own 2008 2nd round pick to Portland. [Chicago – Portland, 6/28/2006]

There's a discrepancy there - it's either 2007 or 2008. Does Chicago stand to lose two 2nd round picks? Am I daft here?

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Anyway, good find Bruno. Chicago would have to be one of the top 9 records for the Spurs to get it.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 05:26 PM
What's that Chicago pick from?

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/nba-daily/02-03/scores10-25.txt
TRADE: San Antonio traded Erick Barkley and cash to Chicago for future
considerations. Chicago then released Barkley.

This makes little sense to me. From the Chicago portion. If it occurs within the Top 51, then:

2007 second round draft pick to San Antonio
Chicago’s own 2007 2nd round pick to San Antonio (top 51 protected). If Chicago's own 2007 2nd round pick is in the top 51 picks, then Chicago's obligations to convey a second round pick to San Antonio are extinguished. [Chicago – San Antonio, 10/25/2002]

2007 second round draft pick to Portland
Chicago's own 2007 2nd round pick to Portland (only if in the top 51 picks). If Chicago's own 2007 2nd round pick is not in the top 51 picks, then Chicago shall instead convey its own 2008 2nd round pick to Portland. [Chicago – Portland, 6/28/2006]

There's a discrepancy there - it's either 2007 or 2008. Does Chicago stand to lose two 2nd round picks? Am I daft here?

If Bulls are a top9 team, Spurs will get Bulls' 2007 second round pick and Blazers will get Bulls' 2008 second round pick;
If Bulls aren't a top9 team, Spurs will get nothing and Blazers will get Bull's 2007 second round pick.

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 05:29 PM
This is fantastic news. I don't see how Chicago fails to get a Top 9 record. That means the Spurs get one 1st rounder and three 2nd rounders (theirs, Milwaukee's, Chicago's). Two will fall very late in the round, however.

Bruno
10-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Anyway, good find Bruno.

Thanks. :)

This is fantastic news. I don't see how Chicago fails to get a Top 9 record. That means the Spurs get one 1st rounder and three 2nd rounders (theirs, Milwaukee's, Chicago's). Two will fall very late in the round, however.

I think too that Bulls will be a top9 team even if ti's not a lock.

BTW, over/under odds for the regular season :
Spurs 56.5
Mavs 56.5
Suns 55
Heat 51.5
Piston 50.5
Bulls 48.5
Cavs 48.5
Nets 47.5
Clippers 47

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 05:41 PM
If Bulls are a top9 team, Spurs will get Bulls' 2007 second round pick and Blazers will get Bulls' 2008 second round pick

The Bulls stand to lose two draft picks for a transaction they didn't want? Didn't they pick up Barkley just to waive him as a favor?

Bruno
10-26-2006, 05:46 PM
The Bulls stand to lose two draft picks for a transaction they didn't want? Didn't they pick up Barkley just to waive him as a favor?

The second round pick given to Portland come from the Tyrus Thomas + Krhyapa for Aldridge trade.

Mr. Body
10-26-2006, 06:50 PM
They just welded them together. Okay.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Oh Boy Corso, Nothin Like Extra Second Round Draft Picks To Use As Fodder For Trainin Camp, Or Betta Yet Ship Over To Europe So That They're Never Used Again--corrrsooo

Zunni
10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
There were also cash considerations in that trade, IIRC, like SA sending cash for them to cut his ass.

Big P
10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes we do have a first round pick this year, & it looks like we will have our own original second rounder, plus the Bucks or Houstons second rounder, whichever is better...IMO we wont have Chicagos second rounder, it will be better than the 51'st pick I think..so the way I see it we have 1 first round pick, 2 second round picks for sure & maybe 3 second rounders, depending on what happens with the Bulls second rounder.

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Wait, do we have a first round draft pick this year??

Yeh we still have our 1st round pick protected in 2007 and 2nd round pick = 2 picks

now add bulls pick + bucks pick = 2 picks

aka 4 picks :D:D:D rebuild or move trade up in the draft using the 3 2nd round picks to move into 1st round to get someshit.

what im hopin is pilin on the 2nd round picks with expiring contracts trades with other teams. Lets not waste the picks like how the knicks did.

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Yes we do have a first round pick this year, & it looks like we will have our own original second rounder, plus the Bucks or Houstons second rounder, whichever is better...IMO we wont have Chicagos second rounder, it will be better than the 51'st pick I think..so the way I see it we have 1 first round pick, 2 second round picks for sure & maybe 3 second rounders, depending on what happens with the Bulls second rounder.

houston doesnt own us any picks, unless they own the bucks which could be transfered to us :D, we get to have the pick that is the highest out of the 2 in the 2nd round :D

THE SIXTH MAN
10-27-2006, 01:11 AM
so we have a total of 5 picks for 07?

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2006, 01:22 AM
so we have a total of 5 picks for 07?

we have 4

1st roun 1 pick spurs
2nd round = 51st pick if bulls have top9 record goes to us
bucks highest 2nd round pick
then our own pick

but it looks like a weak draft anyway with the scrubs in the 2nd round, unless we find someshit again......

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 01:34 AM
It's classified as one of the deepest and most talented drafts ever. But yeah, our 2nd rounders would be in the 40s and later.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-27-2006, 02:14 AM
It's classified as one of the deepest and most talented drafts ever.

Thats what I heard as well.

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2006, 02:26 AM
Thats what I heard as well.

only deep in the first round with alot of the bigz will be taken anyway....what i want the front office to focus on is draftin a replacement for bowen, then a center and backup PG.....

venitian navigator
10-27-2006, 05:58 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php#san_antonio

Credits

2007 second round draft pick from Chicago

2007 second round draft pick from Milwaukee
The better of Milwaukee's own 2007 2nd round pick and Houston's own 2007 2nd round pick to San Antonio [Milwaukee - San Antonio, 6/28/2006]

2009 second round draft pick from New Orleans
New Orleans’ own 2009 2nd round pick to San Antonio via Toronto [New Orleans – Toronto, 1/26/2006 and then San Antonio – Toronto, 6/21/2006]

Debits
No picks owed

Looking at this, I don't understand why we have just three or four...

I read :
1 first roud (ours) +
1 second round (ours) +
1 second round (from Milwaukee that will be the better between the one of the rockets and the one of Milwaukee : Markota trade) +
1 second round (from New Orleans via Toronto : rasho trade) +
1 second round (that's the only conditional one, from Chicago : Barckley trade)

So we have four for sure (1 first and three second choice)
and eventually five (with the Chicago one).

Not bad in the supposedly "deepest draft in years" (also if the one high second choice risks to be the N.O. one..).

Am I wrong ?

Bruno
10-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Looking at this, I don't understand why we have just three or four...

The Hornets' pick is a 2009 second round pick, not a 2007 one.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 08:39 AM
It's classified as one of the deepest and most talented drafts ever. But yeah, our 2nd rounders would be in the 40s and later.

I'm not so sure about this.
the most comes from the hype about Odom.
i think beside Odom, there is a lot of good potential, but not especially that much outstanding star potential (like in the 03 draft for example).
like ginobili_is_god wrote, this is mainly because of all the high schoolers, who couldn't enter the draft 2006 because of the new rules.
the irony is, that the draft 2007 looks thin at exactly the one position, the Spurs would need instant help the most, namely at SF.
so the number of picks won't help that much, if there ain't any usefull SFs left at the board.
the player who would likely be exactly what the Spurs would need as a successor of Bruce is Corey Brewer, but he will likely be picked 10-20.
Spurs should try hard to trade up by using the second rounders and maybe even the draft rights of Scola and/or Javtokas. they of course won't get a lottery pick (no team will blow the chance to win the Odom sweepstake by trading a potential lottery pick), but mybe they can get a pick in the 15-20 area.
there they would have a chance to get either Brewer or Rush, who are both ready to contribute from the first year.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 08:45 AM
It's Oden, not Odom.

And isn't it a little too early to start talking about next year's draft seriously? Thanks for the information on what picks the Spurs will have, but NO ONE knows how this draft will shape up. Oden, Noah, Brewer, McRoberts, Durant, Big Baby, and all of the other talents being discussed are underclassmen, so they would have to leave the NCAA. I'm not saying they won't, but we shouldn't make it a foregone conclusion that they will.

Again, thanks for the info and I'm sure the Spurs will do something completely unexpected with their 3 or 4 picks...they always do.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 08:49 AM
It's Oden, not Odom.

hoppla. shame on me.

Bruno
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Spurs picks will be something like 27th, 45th, 54th (maybe) and 57th. Top players won't be available with this kind of picks.
It's up to the FO to find some "steals" (likely in europe).

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 09:39 AM
The Spurs absolutely will trade up or try. Scola may get 10-12 spots in the first round. Two late 2nd rounders might get an early 2nd rounder.

The draft isn't terrible on SFs, and these won't be what most teams are looking for in a big-man draft, but the top flight SFs will be gone very quickly (like Durant, Young).

A lot of the depth will come from good players getting pushed down from one-and-doners, so those guys have to come out.

We're kidding ourselves if all the Spurs look for are SFs. We need to completely revamp our bench. We need to find replacements for Finley, Barry, Horry, Oberto, Elson, and Vaughn. The only young guy we'll still have (I'm considering Udrih is gone) is Butler, and he'll move into the starting lineup. So I expect the Spurs to push for top SFs but take Best Player Available when they can.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Spurs picks will be something like 27th, 45th, 54th (maybe) and 57th. Top players won't be available with this kind of picks.
It's up to the FO to find some "steals" (likely in europe).

the problem is, that thoses steals are usually not able to contribute right away. it took three years till Manu was brought over. (also because of buyout issues)

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM
We're kidding ourselves if all the Spurs look for are SFs. We need to completely revamp our bench. We need to find replacements for Finley, Barry, Horry, Oberto, Elson, and Vaughn. The only young guy we'll still have (I'm considering Udrih is gone) is Butler, and he'll move into the starting lineup. So I expect the Spurs to push for top SFs but take Best Player Available when they can.

of course the Spurs would also take another player than SF, if there is an obvious more talented player, who plays a different position on the board. but as you mention, we need repleacements for Finley and Barry and if we add Bruce, it's three swingmen to be repleaced.
about the older benchplayers: Oberto might be repleaced with Javtokas (in his case i'm still confident that he will join the Spurs), Mahinmi should join the Spurs in two years (next year will still be to early, two years of euroleague will be the best experience for him), Sanikidze is still a question mark, but might also be in SA within the next three years.

the whole situation around the 2007 draft might of course look different, if the Spurs work out a trade for a SF till dead-line. (and i have no doubt they are working hard on this). i also think that Beno will be one of the assets in such a trade, but also some of the second rounders. (first round pick 2007 can't be traded). if a usefull player can be brought in on this way, it's fine.
(hoping for a trade for a player like Gerald Wallace, James Jones, Mickael Pietrus, Travis Outlaw, Viktor Khryapa, who might be available for the right price))

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
If they trade up in the draft, they may be in range to get a Corey Brewer, who is alos a great defender. Of course a lot of games between now and then.

I'm not sure Javtokas will be a Spur. Maybe, but I don't expect anything from Mahinmi or Sanikidze in the future. They are both years from helping, maybe even nearly post-Duncan.

It seems teams are stingy with their young SFs. We could add Josh Childress to the list. Atlanta has too many swingmen and old and injury prone point guards. Udrih isn't enough by a long shot, but there could be something there.

Bruno
10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
the problem is, that thoses steals are usually not able to contribute right away. it took three years till Manu was brought over. (also because of buyout issues)

The problem is that you can't find a player ready to contribute with a great upside with a second round. It's either a long term project or a solid role player.

Mahinmi should join the Spurs in two years (next year will still be to early, two years of euroleague will be the best experience for him)

Nothing is decided about Mahinmi, it will depend on what he will do this year in euroleague.

(first round pick 2007 can't be traded).

2007 first round pick can be traded.

BTW, welcome on this board.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 10:29 AM
The Spurs absolutely will trade up or try. Scola may get 10-12 spots in the first round. Two late 2nd rounders might get an early 2nd rounder.

The draft isn't terrible on SFs, and these won't be what most teams are looking for in a big-man draft, but the top flight SFs will be gone very quickly (like Durant, Young).

A lot of the depth will come from good players getting pushed down from one-and-doners, so those guys have to come out.

How can you say the Spurs will trade up? The Spurs defy conventional thinking every June on draft day (Mahinmi wasn't even in the program), so it's tough to predict what they'll do.

Secondly, no one bit on Scola last year, so what makes you think someone will come around to him this year?

You're point is well taken that the Spurs' roster needs an overhaul, but I just think it's dumb to assume what the Spurs FO will do on Draft Day 2007, especially when we haven't even begun the 2006 season.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
the problem i see with Atlanta and Childress (who is a very interesting player) could be, that if they put him on the market, they will likely get better offers for him, than what Spurs can assemble.
Beno is neither a proven NBA starter and could also be labeled as a bit injury prone.
if Atlanta puts one of their talented SFs on the market to get a PG, they will look for a proven talent, who could solve their PG problems for many years to come.

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Bruno - Teams cannot trade their first round picks in subsequent years. They can, however, draft someone for another team, then trade. Not sure if that's what you meant.

PHAT - I am assuming nothing. I'm only talking. Scola's buyout looks to be degraded further next summer. Conflicting reports on that, but it's expected he is less expensive. If you don't want to talk about next year's draft, there are always other threads.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 10:35 AM
2007 first round pick can be traded.

BTW, welcome on this board.

thanks for welcoming me.

isn't there a rule that second rounders can only be traded every other year?
Spurs have traded their 2006 first rounder (to NY).

Bruno
10-27-2006, 10:41 AM
There is no restriction about second round picks.

The rule about first round picks is :

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#41

In addition, teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is called the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a future first-round draft pick in consecutive years.

This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then teams can trade their 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

In addition, teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Interesting. The Spurs can trade their 2007 pick, then, because the 2006 pick does not count.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Secondly, no one bit on Scola last year, so what makes you think someone will come around to him this year?

from what i heard about the Scola situation, the asking price of the Spurs was to high and that's why no team bit. It was rumored that the Spurs wanted a first rounder for his rights, but no team sacrifices a fist round pick for a player with buyout issues AND questions about what this player will demand.

the Bulls were supposed to have been interested (understandable, they need the inside scoring Scola could provide and they have a nice expirience with another Argentinian player).
but if the Spurs work out a trade with the Bulls it should be for Khryapa and not for a pick.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 10:58 AM
PHAT - I am assuming nothing. I'm only talking. Scola's buyout looks to be degraded further next summer. Conflicting reports on that, but it's expected he is less expensive. If you don't want to talk about next year's draft, there are always other threads.

Good point on Scola's contract as that may have been what scared some suitors away. Still, I think it'd be nice to see him in a Spurs Uni and with all that turnover you're talking about, he just might be ready to come over and contribute next year.

And I am talking on other threads (you guys and this forum are awesome). I just saw how this thread evolved from talking about what picks we got and how many to discussing what moves will be made and seeing how the Spurs FO makes the most mind-boggling (but surprisingly good) decisions on draft day I thought I'd say my piece. Consider the "piece" said. :D

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
It's cool, PHAT. I'm overcoming the basketball boredom until the season starts by thinking about next year.

I long wanted Scola to be a Spur but don't think it will happen. In the end, I think he's not considered a good enough defender by the FO. Along with his contract, that's too big a problem.

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
but if the Spurs work out a trade with the Bulls it should be for Khryapa and not for a pick.

Khryapa would definitely help. It's amazing they got him essentially as a throw-in. I'm not sure he's worth Scola, however, but the buyout obviously reduces Scola's value.

mountainballer
10-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Khryapa would definitely help. It's amazing they got him essentially as a throw-in. I'm not sure he's worth Scola, however, but the buyout obviously reduces Scola's value.

yes, Paxon is definitly a very good GM and the move with Khryapa was genious. Bulls would have picked Thomas anyhow, also with their nr.2 pick, but this way they got also Khryapa for a future second round pick.

I like Khryapa sice i first recognized him with CSKA Moscow in the euroleague. he's not flashy, but one of those players you could call ultimate role player.
(and he could be exactly what we need for defending Dirk)

timvp
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
2007 second round draft pick from Chicago

Hey, this loss may be a great thing down the line. The Bulls need to finish with a top 10 record for the Spurs to get a 3rd second round pick.

The Spurs were just helping themselves.

:cooldevil

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I've only seen that (2nd rounder from Chicago) in one place. Do we have it for certain about the top-9 record thing?

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
They'll all be wasted anyway. Why are we bothering?

wildbill2u
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
I was checking Draft Express today BEFORE this thread started because I wanted to see what was available as a long SF (6'8" or better). One of Their mock drafts only has four of these rare birds in the top 60 --and that's including underclassmen who they think are likely to come out early.

I know that some guys who played PF wind up at SF in the pros if they can transition, but still, there ain't much out there if Draft Express is right. I'm not familiar enough with the college players to hazard a guess if they are.

It's probably a little early for Mock drafts to be anywhere near correct, but whatever the case, we better hope that among all those tall PFs out there is one who can play SF.

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 02:25 AM
wild - thing is, this draft is chock full of bigs, or should be, if guys like Oden and Hawes come out. Even then, Horfords and Noahs and the like... Teams will be going in fixed on size. Most of the developing teams already have workable SF solutions, so I'm not sure many of the SFs will wind up in the lottery. Kevin Durant, obviously. Corey Brewer, probably, but I'm not sure after that.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-16-2007, 03:42 AM
:lol I was thinking the same thing after the loss. The bulls need to finish top 10 so we can get their 2nd round pick.

remingtonbo2001
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
We could put together a nice draft package with the right's to SCOLA, possibily moving up maybe to the 15-20 spot. Granted, if there is a player of interest. Isn't this year expected to be a deep draft?

BeerIsGood!
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
nice buuuuuump

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
We could put together a nice draft package with the right's to SCOLA, possibily moving up maybe to the 15-20 spot. Granted, if there is a player of interest. Isn't this year expected to be a deep draft?

I see them trying to do the same thing. I'm sure they'll be after someone like Corey Brewer.

remingtonbo2001
01-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Antanas Kavaliauskas - Guy outta A&M...Good hands, solid rebounding, good shooting range. I like Gillispie's system. Might be a good 2nd round prospect. My only objection is that we have Matt Bonner. Kavaliauskas measures in a 6'10, but with time, could guard quicker fowards.

mountainballer
01-17-2007, 04:07 AM
I see them trying to do the same thing. I'm sure they'll be after someone like Corey Brewer.

Rudy Fernandez?
(but if he continous to play like he does currently in the Euroleague and the ACB, be will be a top tem pick anyhow)

if both (Brewer and Fernandez) were on the board when the Spurs pick, I really had a hard time if I had to decide.

Bruno
02-16-2007, 09:07 AM
A quick update at the ASG break and just before the trade dealine (picks are good trade assets).

Spurs have the 27th, 34th and 57th pick in the 07 draft for the moment.

Spurs first round pick should be between 25th and 28th (add 30 for the second round pick).

Bucks pick should be between 33rd and 38th. Let's hope they will decide to tank.

Spurs don't get a pick from Bulls but they are only one game away to be a top 9 tema and to give Spurs the 52th pick. Maybe a Gasol trade can help them to be a top9 team.

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
so if the cows have a top9 team record we get their 2nd rounder? vice versa.

imagine we get the 4 picks, and dont resign anyone from the bench and let them all expired or retired

then we can always rebuild around tim duncan again

td/tp/gino
barry/oberto/ely/horry/bowen/finley/udrih/vaugn will leave or traded

which leaves bonner, white then euro scrubs who i think should be brought over, javtokas, scola, mahinmi

so thats 8 active players + 4 picks

we can always allow the 4 players pt and tank the season hahahaha

MoSpur
02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
I like Carter from Texas A & M.

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Carter likely comes out next year or later.

mountainballer
02-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Bucks pick should be between 33rd and 38th. Let's hope they will decide to tank.

the Bucks pick looks better and better indeed. they are so bad, that they will end as the 3rd worst team in the league. and it does look as if they decided to tank the season. so it will likely be the no. 33 pick, in this deep draft quite usefull. might also be a way to move up a bit. 3 or 4 spots could be crucial, if some of the players strt to slip more than expected (Brewer? Al Thornton? Splitter? Fernandez? Belinelli ? Tucker?) and are suddenly in the reach of the Spurs. (Bobcats might talk about dealing the no.20 pick they get from Raptors for Spurs pick + Bucks 2nd rounder)

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 10:55 AM
The Milwaukee pick is really aces considering we gave up all of Damir Markota for it. As mountainballah says, it'll likely be just a few steps behind the Spurs' 1st rounder, from 4-8 spots behind. I think Brewer will go lottery, but some of those other guys will probably be available in the late 1st, and it would not be utterly surprising to see an Alando Tucker or some other players drop into the second. As relatively crappy as this year has been, we've been overlooking how nice that pick is.

mountainballer
02-16-2007, 01:52 PM
As relatively crappy as this year has been, we've been overlooking how nice that pick is.

yes. it takes some of the pressure how to use the picks. (assuming that the Spurs don't use this pick as a trade bait at deadline, now that the value of this pick has increased)

Spurs can now use one pick more chancier (Arthur, Cook) and the other more conservative (on a nba-ready college senior like Tucker, Almond, Nichols, Law...whoever will be there)

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Unfortunately the late 1st will empty out most every excellent player who drops, but there will be guys who drop slated in the late first. Unfortunately Acie Law projects as a lottery pick, but I'd sure as hell hope if he does a Marcus Williams slide the Spurs somehow can pounce. I think other seniors will slide, like always. Depending on how many underclassmen come in, at least a couple will get thrust into the second round. Alando Tucker would be great, or Afflalo, Almond, any of the guys you mention. I would not be thrilled with guys sometimes mentioned on msg boards like Nick Fazekas. We need athletic talent.

I think it's easily possible to come out of this draft with two solid rookies, one a SF and one a PG. Unfortunately the caliber of players who could help the most - Corey Brewer, Jeff Green/Acie Law - will likely be gone by those picks. I'll go ahead and dream now and say we get Green and Law. Two lifetime rotation guys who are potential starter caliber.

mountainballer
02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately the late 1st will empty out most every excellent player who drops, but there will be guys who drop slated in the late first. Unfortunately Acie Law projects as a lottery pick, but I'd sure as hell hope if he does a Marcus Williams slide the Spurs somehow can pounce. I think other seniors will slide, like always. Depending on how many underclassmen come in, at least a couple will get thrust into the second round. Alando Tucker would be great, or Afflalo, Almond, any of the guys you mention. I would not be thrilled with guys sometimes mentioned on msg boards like Nick Fazekas. We need athletic talent.

I think it's easily possible to come out of this draft with two solid rookies, one a SF and one a PG. Unfortunately the caliber of players who could help the most - Corey Brewer, Jeff Green/Acie Law - will likely be gone by those picks. I'll go ahead and dream now and say we get Green and Law. Two lifetime rotation guys who are potential starter caliber.

i think it could be possible, that this year it works similar to 2003. a good college senior like Josh Howard slipped that far, because to many teams thought, that he doesn't have enough upside left and will end up as an average bench player. same with Korver, James Jones and Luke Walton.
looking at this years draft board (as far as it can be judged right now), it looks quite similar to 2003. Spurs should learn from their mistake of 2003 and draft at least one college senior.

exstatic
02-17-2007, 12:05 AM
You people make me laugh. A late first rounder can be a lifetime rotation player and potential starter? Lucky if he sticks beyond his required rookie contract guarantee years. They're not much better than second rounders, and come with that guarantee albatross contract.

The best way to re-juve the roster is the Malik Rose, Antonio Daniels, Stephen Jackson route: players who have been in the L for a year or two, and who's teams give up on them too soon. Every year, there are a couple of decent ones who get caught in a numbers game and get cut. We nabbed White and Butler this year, but usually don't have a roster spot available. In the next couple of years, a few spots will open up.

Mr. Body
02-17-2007, 12:17 AM
exstatic, don't be an idiot. Josh Howard and Leandro Barbosa were both at the very end of the 1st. Get out of the discussion if you're not going to contribute.

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2007, 12:23 AM
is our picks are from 25th and down the order....

guys like tiago splitter, marcus williams, acker, nick young and almond are projected to be 20-25, if they slide down, we should go pick a sf/sg combo player instead of drafting bigs.

i prefer we trade all our 2nd rounders and move up including any fuckn deals we can make......

exstatic
02-17-2007, 12:52 AM
exstatic, don't be an idiot. Josh Howard and Leandro Barbosa were both at the very end of the 1st. Get out of the discussion if you're not going to contribute.
Two out of how many? You make my argument for me...

Darkwaters
02-17-2007, 01:37 AM
The Spurs basically have 3 major needs.
1) Quality Bigmen (beyond Duncan)
2) The Long SF (Bowen's heir apparent)
3) Backup PG

Frankly, the Spurs probably won't look to draft bigs unless they get an absolute steal. A starting center is needed and unless Oden slips to them (:spin) they won't find a solution in the draft. And with several young bigs needing development (Butler, Mahinmi, Ely?) it makes little sense to add more youth. Factor in the possible signing of Scola and the draft seems further removed.

The Spurs should probably draft at least one SF with one of their 3-4 picks regardless of what they pick up in free agency. But honestly, Bowen is nearing the end of his time as his contract expires at the end of next season. That would leave exactly one season to fully groom any draft pick to assume starter minutes. Frankly, you won't find that guy at the 25th pick. The Spurs will probably look to sign a reasonable player via free agency to fill the upcoming void. The team does also have James White stashed away and he could perhaps grow into something special. So if the team takes a gamble on a second rounder SF they have essentially two chances to score it big. A player like Jonas Maciulis could be a wonderful steal with either the Spurs 2nd rounder or maybe Chicago's (top 51 pending). Jonas has the workings of a shorter Andres Nocioni and would be another Spurs late-draft steal. Obviously though if a player like Alando Tucker wandered into their grasp they would have to pull the trigger. Tucker could quickly step into a solid rotation role at either the 2/3 and is a good bet.

Beno has to go. There is obviously no place on the team for him and it is hurting the Spurs. Fortunately hes young and his contract is small. Therefore, trading Beno would be exceptionally easy. With Vaughn's contract up at the end of the year it leaves only TP at the point. I like the idea of bringing in Orien Greene, but the guy is obviously no backup at this point. The better bet might be to resign a guy like Vaughn next year for the league minimum and draft a young hopeful. Several good players are supposed to still be available at 25-28 that the Spurs might consider. Mustafa Shakur out of Arizona has been having a wonderful season and was ranked as the #2 PG coming out of HS (behind Chris Paul). Hes more of a playmaking PG so he would fit the mold of what Beno was supposed to be better than some other potential draftees. Bobby Brown of Cal-St Fullerton is also intriguing. He has been playing at a low-level of competition but obviously has the skills to be an NBA type of guy. Hes less of a playmaker at this point, but that could be because nobody on his team is really capable of scoring like he can. He'd be available very likely at 34 (Milwaukee's 2nd rounder) and could be nabbed if the Spurs took a guy like Alando Tucker in the first round. Another potential PG to watch is Yannick Bokolo. He currently is playing SG but is probably a little small for the position. He would be a nifty combo guard that the team could draft late in the 2nd and stash overseas for a few years.

AFBlue
02-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Two out of how many? You make my argument for me...

How many lottery picks have been busts???

The point is not that the Spurs will "definitely" find a David Lee (not previously mentioned), Josh Howard, Leandro Barbosa, or player of that calibur, because it is somewhat unlikely. BUT...

No matter how much scouting is done, there are always players that get taken early on "potential" and never work out, just as there are players with little to no "upside" that seem to slip through the cracks. Drafting talent is not an exact science, so yes, it is possible for the Spurs to snag a productive role player or even future starter in the latter part of the first...

exstatic
02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
How many lottery picks have been busts???
Some, but I'll bet most of those can be lumped into the category Big Man Drafted Too High. :lol I think we basically agree that drafting is an inexact science. The Spurs realize it, too, and since they manage their cap figure as well as anyone in the league, they prefer to go and get some younger players that have a year or two in the league, like Malik, AD, SJax, Butler...rather than rolling the dice (and a multi-year guaranteed contract) on someone with no experience. I just think it's funny that some posters have so little knowledge of how SA operates that they project what THEY would do on to the organization and expect that everyone will acknowledge it as sound, and something the Spurs would do, even though it has no relation to what SA normally does, and in fact is diametrically opposed to it, like going after one of PHO picks in the first round. WTF? :lol

Mr. Body
02-17-2007, 03:53 PM
The problem with what SA normally does is that it's clearly caused some problems for them in the last few years and there are plenty of suggestions that they regret what they've done or not done. How many articles have to come out mentioning their regret about passing on Josh Howard before people realize it's highly likely they use these picks on true rookies instead of throwing them away? How many times do we have to hear about how they tried to move up to get a Jarrett Jack or Jameer Nelson before we realize that not only will they try to do the same thing again this year, but they will not de facto avoid domestic players simply because they are not foreign.

There's a lot of speculation about what they'll do with these picks, sure, but it's all founded. The Spurs threw their picks away because the state of the team was far different than it is now. If you're in love with your 'Malik-type player', then you have your man in Jackie Butler. Hell, James White probably counts in this way, too. To say they won't come out of the draft without a rookie on their roster is stupid.

exstatic
02-17-2007, 04:41 PM
To say they won't come out of the draft without a rookie on their roster is stupid.
I agree! They WILL come out of the draft without a draft rookie on the roster, not a first rounder, anyway. :lol

Seriously, I know what you were trying to say, and it is YOU who are stupid, based on history. Since 2001 When Parker was drafted, the Spurs have brought in exactly one first round rookie to their roster, Beno Udrih. Not much of a history for you to stand on and call people stupid, stupid. Do the numbers, and stop being an idiot. They have a roster of 15 now, the MAX. The only contracts that expire, for sure, are Vaughn, Bonner, and Ely. Bonner will probably be back, Ely, probably not. If Vaughn isn't back, he'll likely be replaced by a vet, since Beno sucks ass. That leaves us at 14 players with Bonner and probably a vet PG of some sort coming aboard. That leaves one spot for a player, probably one of ours from Europe or a young NBA player. A first round draft pick is a cap hit for the next three years. Not likely, with the 08 plan in place.

wildbill2u
02-17-2007, 05:42 PM
The Spurs consider the odds when they pick low in the 1st round--and that's the reason they select Euros in my opinion.

They DON'T have to give them a guaranteed multi year contract. It is about money--but it's also smart to bet with the odds.

exstatic
02-17-2007, 05:57 PM
The Spurs consider the odds when they pick low in the 1st round--and that's the reason they select Euros in my opinion.

They DON'T have to give them a guaranteed multi year contract. It is about money--but it's also smart to bet with the odds.
Uh, yes they do, according to the CBA. ALL first round picks get a guaranteed mutli year contract. Well, in theory you can renounce the pick. Chicago did that one year late in the Jordan era (Travis Knight). How is that better than offloading it for second rounders, though?

I think the team is only on the hook now for 2 years if the player is really a stinker. Used to be 3 years guaranteed.

objective
02-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I might expect them to be more inclined to draft domestic this coming draft than in previous years because right before the season started they announced the hiring of a Director of College Player Personnel, George Felton.

It was unclear from the article that he had a predecessor, so I would venture that it is a new position for their scouts. I lost my old media guides as well.

If it's new . . . would the Spurs pay a salary to a guy with a title like 'Director' and then not use his advisement? Sure if the guys he likes are gone that's one thing, but it's not unreasonable to take Felton's hiring as a sign that they recognized they needed help domestic-wise.

timvp
02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Ex is pretty much dead on. If the 2008 Plan is in full effect, this first round pick is either going to be a draft-n-stash or traded away for a future pick or a player on a one-year contract (like the Speedy Claxton trade).

In the 13 drafts in the Popovich era, the Spurs have drafted in the first round and kept Cory Alexander, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Beno Udrih. One domestic pick in 13 drafts ... and Alexander was another attempted CIA Pop move because he was injured most of his junior and senior year so Pop told him to hide out so the Spurs could pick him. Basically, they've never taken a straight up domestic prospect in the Popovich era.

The Spurs have never traded for a first round draft pick under Pop. They've never traded up in the first round. To expect them to go out and pick a domestic talent for the first time in 14 years is wishful thinking. To think they are going to pick three or four domestic players is insane.

The most likely scenario is the Spurs use the first round pick on a draft-n-stash or trade it away. The second round pick would be used to draft a point guard (as long as Beno is traded by then). And whatever other picks the Spurs have in the draft will either be traded or used on Euros.

If the Spurs are going to extend the Beno saga one more season, I could very easily see them going into the draft with four picks and coming away with no players for next year's roster.

timvp
02-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I might expect them to be more inclined to draft domestic this coming draft than in previous years because right before the season started they announced the hiring of a Director of College Player Personnel, George Felton.

It was unclear from the article that he had a predecessor, so I would venture that it is a new position for their scouts. I lost my old media guides as well.

If it's new . . . would the Spurs pay a salary to a guy with a title like 'Director' and then not use his advisement? Sure if the guys he likes are gone that's one thing, but it's not unreasonable to take Felton's hiring as a sign that they recognized they needed help domestic-wise.

Felton spent the last five years with the Pacers. During that time, Indiana didn't exactly mine gold out of the draft.

They drafted Fred Jones 14th, ahead of Tayshaun Prince and Nenad Krstic. They drafted David Harrison 30th ahead of Anderson Varejao. They drafted Shawne Williams in this year's draft in the first round at 17 (Nothing so far in the NBA and struggled in summer league). They also traded two second round picks for James White. And then cut him :lol

With this guy's track record, I'd rather the Spurs just stick to drafting Euros.

baseline bum
02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
You people make me laugh. A late first rounder can be a lifetime rotation player and potential starter? Lucky if he sticks beyond his required rookie contract guarantee years. They're not much better than second rounders, and come with that guarantee albatross contract.

The best way to re-juve the roster is the Malik Rose, Antonio Daniels, Stephen Jackson route: players who have been in the L for a year or two, and who's teams give up on them too soon. Every year, there are a couple of decent ones who get caught in a numbers game and get cut. We nabbed White and Butler this year, but usually don't have a roster spot available. In the next couple of years, a few spots will open up.

Are you kidding me? Look how many good players have gone 20-30 since 2001:

David Lee (30)
Luther Head (24)
Jordan Farmar (26)
Jameer Nelson (20)
Kevin Martin (26)
Tony Allen (25)
Boris Diaw (21)
Leandro Barbosa (28)
Josh Howard (29)
Tayshaun Prince (23)
Nenad Kristic (24)
Gerald Wallace (25)
Jamal Tinsley (27)
Tony Parker (28)

Every one of these guys would get huge minutes on this team, and half of them would start.

exstatic
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM

David Lee (30)
Luther Head (24)
Jordan Farmar (26)
Jameer Nelson (20)
Kevin Martin (26)
Tony Allen (25)
Boris Diaw (21)
Leandro Barbosa (28)
Josh Howard (29)
Tayshaun Prince (23)
Nenad Kristic (24)
Gerald Wallace (25)
Jamal Tinsley (27)
Tony Parker (28)

Every one of these guys would get huge minutes on this team, and half of them would start.
14 players...7 drafts..that's about a 20% hit rate, and some of those guys have not yet survived their rookie deals.

objective
02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Felton spent the last five years with the Pacers. During that time, Indiana didn't exactly mine gold out of the draft.

They drafted Fred Jones 14th, ahead of Tayshaun Prince and Nenad Krstic. They drafted David Harrison 30th ahead of Anderson Varejao. They drafted Shawne Williams in this year's draft in the first round at 17 (Nothing so far in the NBA and struggled in summer league). They also traded two second round picks for James White. And then cut him :lol

With this guy's track record, I'd rather the Spurs just stick to drafting Euros.

I didn't say he was stellar, but imo they're not going to pay this guy a decent front office salary to scout the NCAA only to pre-determinedly draft euros to keep overseas for the next couple of years.

AFBlue
02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
14 players...7 drafts..that's about a 20% hit rate, and some of those guys have not yet survived their rookie deals.

I see your point about the Spurs' history of unwillingness to take on contracts, but in my view, the Spurs had no significant "need" at any one position during those times....not the case this year. The Spurs have legitimate needs at SF and PG, and I think they'll even try to trade up if they feel they can address one of these needs.

Attempts to trade up have also been made in the past, suggesting that the Spurs, though inclined to look at veterans, do think that some draftees have the ability to contribute right away.

I think the Spurs will have their eye on a few different players and if they are unsuccessful at getting any of them, they'll do what they always do...trade out of the first round for future picks.

Pugglekicker_21
02-17-2007, 08:21 PM
What i got from reading this is that the spurs either have 4 or 5 picks in thsi year's draft, and thats gravy for me because I would really like to see an injection of youth to this lineup. I agree on the looking for bowen replacment, and i would use the rest of the picks to get youthful players. I would, however, like to see Scola come over to SA finally. Based on what people are complaining about this year, the FO has to shake things up this offseason, and that involves. in my opinion, bringing over Scola.

BTW ginobli _is_god,who is the chick that was in your sig?

baseline bum
02-17-2007, 11:47 PM

Having a 20% shot of landing a guy to be in your top 8 isn't bad when you're talking maybe $1.8-2.5 million guaranteed over a rookie contract. Ever since 18-19 year-olds started entering the draft in mass in 2001, lots of talent has been getting pushed deep. Now 20-30 isn't much more of a crap-shoot than is 12-19.

Marcus Bryant
02-18-2007, 12:19 AM

David Lee (30)
Luther Head (24)
Jordan Farmar (26)
Jameer Nelson (20)
Kevin Martin (26)
Tony Allen (25)
Boris Diaw (21)
Leandro Barbosa (28)
Josh Howard (29)
Tayshaun Prince (23)
Nenad Kristic (24)
Gerald Wallace (25)
Jamal Tinsley (27)
Tony Parker (28)

...and the Spurs could've had the ones in bold.

exstatic
02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Having a 20% shot of landing a guy to be in your top 8 isn't bad when you're talking maybe $1.8-2.5 million guaranteed over a rookie contract. Ever since 18-19 year-olds started entering the draft in mass in 2001, lots of talent has been getting pushed deep. Now 20-30 isn't much more of a crap-shoot than is 12-19.
I disagree with talent being pushed deeper, except maybe the first year or two. Those 18 and 19 year olds didn't make it to college, so the college entry pool was less talented to begin with. That was exposed in last year's dreadful draft when they didn't have the young kids for the first time.

I think we may be having two different discussions, though. You're saying what you think they SHOULD do, and I'm saying what I think they WILL do, which is opt out of the first round this year, and probably next. I think all of their efforts are going in to the '08 plan, and even two of those smallish late round contracts could derail that by not leaving enough to offer someone a MAX deal.

mountainballer
02-19-2007, 11:11 AM

are you serious?
or is it just a notorious excoriating by using half of the truth or just facts, that are suited to back up your opinion?

First of all: you know, that a scout does his scouting in the first place, you can't blame him for decisions the GM did. so we will also never know about the exactly impact of a scouts work. do you really think Felton just hands over a list of players to Larry Bird and Bird just executes what he is told? that's just naive.

but let's look at Felton's record. I wouldn't claim, that it is the best in the NBA, but it is far from just finding busts. in fact, it is pretty decent.

the Fred Jones pick from 2002 could have been a better pick, but Jones isn't a bust for a mid 1st rounder. picking Tskitishvili with no.5 or Wagner with the no.6, when Amare is still on the board is a major mistake, Picking Jones at no. 14 isn't IMO.

why didn't you mention the drafting of James Jones 2003 (no.49 pick)?
that's a great pick for 2nd half of 2nd round. Jones would likely be the no.6 or 7 in our current rotation, with a chance to become our starting SF 2008.
(Spurs always liked him and might have signed him 2005, if the Finley signing didn't happen)

or the pick of Danny Granger at no. 17 in 2005?
Granger is now the starting SF on a Pacers team that is quite deep at the foreward spots.
in his second season, Granger looks like future all-star potential. a bad pick?

calling the Williams pick a bust is ridiculous in this monent. Williams is picked based on potential, noone expected him to contribute this year, especially not with so many forewards on this pacers roster.
(btw. he also was picked before the Pacers traded for Harrington, Powell and Marshall and signed Baston. that was also the reason, why they cut White. this decisions don't have much to do with the work of Felton)

and btw. the pick of Alexander Johnson looks quite nice today for a no. 45 pick in a weak draft class.

and the Harrison pick has been labeled as one of the steals of the 2004 draft, before Harrison decided to butlerize himself. and the scouting of a player like Varejao isn't exactly the job of a college scout. so why do you blame Felton for the fact, that the Pacers picked Harrison over him?

I'm very unhappy with many moves of the FO in the last years. but for sure not that they hired a college scout, because they are just reacting to a default of the past. Felton isn't the worst option to start with.

Mr. Body
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
timvp is all about specious argument. nicely done, mountainballer.

exstatic
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
timvp is all about specious argument. nicely done, mountainballer.
...and your'e all about wishful thinking. timvp's argument is based on past behavior of the same group in the Spurs front office.

Mr. Body
02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
That past behavior is no longer working. We'll see if the Spurs continue to draw from that well, but I don't think so. My point with timvp is rather that he excels at selective stats to support his arguments.

objective
02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
the fact that they've hired a director of college player personnel is enough to suggest that there will be a change in behavior, unless Holt likes throwing money away.

exstatic
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
That past behavior is no longer working. We'll see if the Spurs continue to draw from that well, but I don't think so. My point with timvp is rather that he excels at selective stats to support his arguments.
Right, because exactly one team has won the O'Brien since the Spurs have, and gee, we might not win this year. If this model is broken, there are probably somewhere in the high 20s of teams that would like to be broken in exactly the same way. Spurs fans are just spoiled and expect to win every year. Grow up. The Spur braintrust keeps them in contention for a fucking DECADE with smaller ups and downs. Does anyone remember the old rivalries? Portland? shit. Sacto? shit. Lakers? Just finally crawling out of the shit.

mountainballer
03-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I was just wondering about our 2nd rounders this year:

now that it looks more and more that we will have 3 of them (currently no. 35, no. 52 and no. 58), is there a realistic scenario to turn them into a 1st rounder to add to our own 1st rounder?

thinking of Suns. they own 3 1st rounders this year. considering that they are a young team and that they will get something very nice with the Hawks pick and also own the Cavs pick, it would make much more sense for them to trade their own 1 st rounder for multible 2nd rounders they could use for gambles on european players they can leave overseas for some years and wait how the develope.
(in another scenario they could of corse use 2 picks to trade up)

another team that might be interested are the Bobcats, who own the Raptors 1st rounder. (currently no.20). they don't have a 2nd rounder this year, but again have to repleace half the roster. their own pick will be a top pick again, so they might be interested in mutiple picks to get cheap players to fill the roster. the 3 Spurs 2nd rounders alone won't be enough to get a no. 20 pick, but maybe with a sweetener. (Beno? White?)

any thoughts?

Taking it to the Hole
03-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't think the Spurs are going to want to give guaranteed money to a first-rounder this draft. I look for them to maybe try to package the pick in a trade for a player with an expiring contract. As far as their second rounders go, they will do what they always do, draft a Euro and hope they find a "gem in the rough" like with Ginobili. I like everyone has been tired with the Luis Scola Saga...maybe the Spurs finally do something with him this year, who knows, but really I don't think he is well-suited to play on a Spurs team that needs more athleticism and youth. Basically, he's just a younger version of Fab, so maybe somebody wouldn't mind having him on their team and we get something back in return. I think the Spurs are not really looking to spend alot this offseason, maybe retain Vaughan, Bonner and try to trade Beno, but basically they are saving their cash for 2008 when they can do some damage in free agency.

MoSpur
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Al Thorton from FSU. Anyone have an idea where he might go in the draft???

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I was just wondering about our 2nd rounders this year:

now that it looks more and more that we will have 3 of them (currently no. 35, no. 52 and no. 58), is there a realistic scenario to turn them into a 1st rounder to add to our own 1st rounder?

thinking of Suns. they own 3 1st rounders this year. considering that they are a young team and that they will get something very nice with the Hawks pick and also own the Cavs pick, it would make much more sense for them to trade their own 1 st rounder for multible 2nd rounders they could use for gambles on european players they can leave overseas for some years and wait how the develope.
(in another scenario they could of corse use 2 picks to trade up)

another team that might be interested are the Bobcats, who own the Raptors 1st rounder. (currently no.20). they don't have a 2nd rounder this year, but again have to repleace half the roster. their own pick will be a top pick again, so they might be interested in mutiple picks to get cheap players to fill the roster. the 3 Spurs 2nd rounders alone won't be enough to get a no. 20 pick, but maybe with a sweetener. (Beno? White?)

any thoughts?

I can't imagine the Suns would deal with us. We helped them out tremendously by giving them Barbosa, but they won't want to return the favor now that they're championship contenders. It wouldn't hurt to try. The Raptors pick (from Charlotte) is likely more available. The Spurs could use the Milwaukee pick to trade up to it. I don't think they'd take a package of 2nd rounders for it. It's just that the Chicago pick, if the Spurs get it, and their own late 2nd rounder, just aren't worth much at all. They could get an earlier 2nd, but not a 1st. All 3 picks? I think the Milwaukee + our first can move up some spots, but those late 2nds probably won't do anything at all.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Al Thorton from FSU. Anyone have an idea where he might go in the draft???

Your great sites here are Draft Express and nbadraft.net. He'll be a lottery pick.

mountainballer
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
They could get an earlier 2nd, but not a 1st. All 3 picks? I think the Milwaukee + our first can move up some spots, but those late 2nds probably won't do anything at all.

well a 1st rounder will be quite expensive this year, so our 3 2nd rounders might not be enough. (sweeten with White?)
about the late 2nd rounders I disagree. in a deep draft, they do have some value. (not that much, but something). the interesting thing for a GM about thoses late 2nd rounders is, that they can only win by using them.
if they find a decent role player, they can take all the props. if the player never makes it to the NBA, people will just call the pick worthless anyhow.
but as we know best, in every draft there are at least 2 or 3 usefull players at 45 or higher.
remember 2005: no.48-Gelabale, no.50-Gomes, no.55-Roberts., jury is still out on no.49 Blatche and btw. the no.60 pick Alex Acker looks really good this year in the eurolegue, I expect him to be back in the NBA soon (he could be interesting for the Spurs also)

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
well a 1st rounder will be quite expensive this year, so our 3 2nd rounders might not be enough. (sweeten with White?)

I just don't think White is worth much. There are a good handful of guys that will be available in the 30s who might already be better than him. Would you take Demetrius Nichols this second over him? I probably would. I don't think teams would put much stock in White at all, even as a sweetener. If anything he'd take up roster space for some other guy.

Darkwaters
03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Your great sites here are Draft Express and nbadraft.net. He'll be a lottery pick.

I've never been really impressed with NBAdraft.net's mocks. DraftExpress does a good job though.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I've never been really impressed with NBAdraft.net's mocks. DraftExpress does a good job though.

Three years ago Nbadraft won, I think. Two years was DX, last year was ESPN. For number of 1st rounders correct.

wildbill2u
03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Suppose a guy comes to you with a proposition bet: He wants you to bet several million dollars on a bet that the odds say will lose 4-1.

Are you a player on this bet? Even if you win occasionally, the odds are with the house and eventually you'll lose. Las Vegas is built on these type of odds bet by suckers.

Or do you make a bet on a proposition bet that you cannot lose (pick-a-Euro) because you don't have to put up ANY money at all. If you guess right, you win, and if you guess wrong, you don't lose so you win either way.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Suppose a guy comes to you with a proposition bet: He wants you to bet several million dollars on a bet that the odds say will lose 4-1.

Are you a player on this bet? Even if you win occasionally, the odds are with the house and eventually you'll lose. Las Vegas is built on these type of odds bet by suckers.

Or do you make a bet on a proposition bet that you cannot lose (pick-a-Euro) because you don't have to put up ANY money at all. If you guess right, you win, and if you guess wrong, you don't lose so you win either way.

See your point, but this is not past years where the Spurs have the luxury of drafting "projects" and leaving them overseas. The Spurs have legitimate needs for next year and certainly the following year. It is a calculated risk to take players that you have to pay and put on the roster right away, but it's one that the Spurs will likely have to make with at least one, if not more, of their draft picks.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Not quite the right scenario, as PHAT suggests. It's not a idler's bet. It's a bet made on capital needed to keep your company running the very best level it can. It is humorous to keep insisting the Spurs will draft foreign and stash, because they always have before and their insistence has begun verging on the farcical. But the past does not always predict future behavior and the situation has changed so fundamentally that the Spurs cannot afford to not place at least one rookie on the team this year.

MoSpur
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, according to draft express Al Thornton will probably go somewhere around #15. I wonder if the Spurs would try to move up and try to snag someone like him. I like him as the perfect understudy for Bruce Bowen.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
If they move up, I think they'd be after Corey Brewer, Jeff Green, or Thaddeus Young first (if he goes in) before Al Thornton. Two first two have more polish and Young just has too much upside.

MoSpur
03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I like Thorntons size better. The guy to me seems like he'd do a better job guarding the bigger guys like Dirk. He also has the quickness to guard the more athletic type like Howard and Marion. Brewer is good, but I don't like the fact he's only around 190 lbs.

Bruno
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Moving up in the draft isn't that easy and you had to give a lot of things to move up from 28 to 15.
In 05, Portland has traded the 27th pick and the 35th pick to get the 22nd pick.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I expect the Spurs will have to do something similar:

#28+#35 for #22
or
#28+Scola for #22

The further from the lottery you get the more exponentially devalued the picks become. If Thaddeus Young comes out, it helps push another SF further down.

I'd much rather have Jeff Green/Corey Brewer/crosses fingers (#22) than Nick Fazekas (#28) + Bobby Brown (#35).

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Or they could just stay put and get Jared Dudley fro BC, he does everything well except run fast

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Jared Dudley has all of Fabricio Oberto's athleticism.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Or they could just stay put and get Jared Dudley fro BC, he does everything well except run fast

Dudley doesn't have the athleticism you would like to see, but this kid is all guts and heart. I think there's a realistic chance he could slip because his workouts will probably be poor, but he's a guy that could step in sooner than most other prospective long 3/small ball 4 types.

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Dudley doesn't have the athleticism you would like to see, but this kid is all guts and heart. I think there's a realistic chance he could slip because his workouts will probably be poor, but he's a guy that could step in sooner than most other prospective long 3/small ball 4 types.

What do you think of Brendan Rush? The mocks I have seen have him and Fazekas right around where we are probably going to be drafting. I really like Rush, he could be very good for us. As far as Dudley, I love the kids heart, and he is a team player. He shoots well, boards well and passes well. Maybe he doesnt have the athletic ability of a Thornton, but for some reason he just seems like a Spurs type player. Senior, great teamate, great attitude, great work ethic

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
fairly unathletic and smart DOES sound like a Spurs-type player

i'm not sure what they'd do with an Al Thornton type. make him play with big ankle weights or so.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:20 PM
What do you think of Brendan Rush? The mocks I have seen have him and Fazekas right around where we are probably going to be drafting. I really like Rush, he could be very good for us. As far as Dudley, I love the kids heart, and he is a team player. He shoots well, boards well and passes well. Maybe he doesnt have the athletic ability of a Thornton, but for some reason he just seems like a Spurs type player. Senior, great teamate, great attitude, great work ethic

I don't think Rudy Fernandez, Nick Fazekas, or Brandon Rush necessarily fit a "need" for the Spurs, but if Green/Thornton/etc. are off the board at the point the Spurs draft, I have to think they should take the best players available. Fernandez is a great athlete and lights-out shooter, Fazekas has the all-around offensive game to be a productive NBA player for a long time, and Rush has the right blend of ability & unselfishness to meld right in to a championship-calibur team. I like all three of them and wouldn't be dissapointed if we got one or even two of them.

On Dudley, I totally agree about him fitting the Spurs image. I think if he fell to the latter part of the second round, it would be good to take a flyer on him.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
fairly unathletic and smart DOES sound like a Spurs-type player

i'm not sure what they'd do with an Al Thornton type. make him play with big ankle weights or so.

:lol

I'm sure they'll bench James White every time he puts the ball on the floor. They'll say "Don't you know you're the next Bruce Bowen! Bowen don't drive to the basket! Bowen plays D and shoots from the corner...practice that!"

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
What do you guys think of Tucker? He is VERY undersized for the position, do you think he will be ok in the pros? Would he fit a Bowen type need?

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Not a Bowen-need, I don't think, but he knows how to play and could be an excellent pro. I'll agree with PHAT - if we can't trade up and grab our SF (Green, Brewer, etc.), then take BPA = Best Player Available. Could be Tucker.

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Do you know anything about the Italian sg Marco Belinelli? I have heard and read a lot of good things about him, and he is still young, what do you think about him Body?

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I don't know much. Honestly, as little as I know, I imagine him to be a better Gordan Giricek. A gunner. I don't know if he can do much else, maybe he can.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
What do you guys think of Tucker? He is VERY undersized for the position, do you think he will be ok in the pros? Would he fit a Bowen type need?

Tucker's athleticism and reliance on slashing/inside game reminds me of Desmond Mason very much. Of course, you can teach a jumpshot and it's not like he's horrible from long-range. It wouldn't shock me if Tucker turned out to be a Desmond Mason type, but it also wouldn't shock me if he turned out to be a Josh Howard type.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Do you know anything about the Italian sg Marco Belinelli? I have heard and read a lot of good things about him, and he is still young, what do you think about him Body?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm mystified by this kid. Most mock drafts have him going ahead of Rudy Fernandez despite Rudy vastly outplaying Marco in the Euroleague this year. Marco is a bit younger and bigger than Rudy, but they have very similar games. Still, everything I've seen has him going ahead of Rudy....must be something there I don't see.

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't know much. Honestly, as little as I know, I imagine him to be a better Gordan Giricek. A gunner. I don't know if he can do much else, maybe he can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPYO0L6_6U
I found this video of him, http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marcobelinelli.html
and this is from nbadraft.net. He projects around our pick, looks pretty good

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm mystified by this kid. Most mock drafts have him going ahead of Rudy Fernandez despite Rudy vastly outplaying Marco in the Euroleague this year. Marco is a bit younger and bigger than Rudy, but they have very similar games. Still, everything I've seen has him going ahead of Rudy....must be something there I don't see.

Your imput is always appreciated Tony. Here he is vs Slovenia, kid looks sick and he is only 20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r2WueJDD7c

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Your imput is always appreciated Tony. Here he is vs Slovenia, kid looks sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r2WueJDD7c

Thanks...Have to check it when I get home. Computer Nazis don't like the YouTube.

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Marco Belinelli - Current Team: Climamio Bologna, International
Physicals:
H: 6' 5"
W: 192 lbs
Bday: 3/25/1986
(20 Years Old)
Positions:
Current: SG
NBA: SG
Possible: PG/SG
Rankings:
Round: 1 Pick: 26 in 2007 Mock Draft
Rank 1 in International '86

Comparisons:
Best Case: Young Brent Barry
Worst Case: Jiri Welsch
Misc:
High School:
Hometown: San Giovanni, Persiceto, Italy
Earliest Draft Class: 2005
Profile Written By: Carlo Sandrinelli
Last Updated: 2/8/2006

Main Profile | Player Blog | Related Articles | Watch This Player
Strengths
Belinelli's physical tools are very good, especially at the European level. At 6-5 he has decent size for an NBA shooting guard, especially considering his athleticism and long arms which allow him to play bigger than his height. His overall bulk has improved over the past few years, as now both his upper and lower body strength are more solid than they were a couple of years ago. He looks like he’ll be able to add some more pounds too. Belinelli's athleticism is excellent for Europe and would be considered good even in the NBA, as he runs the floor well, has good overall speed and quickness and is an explosive leaper.

Offensively, Belinelli already has many of the skills required to play shooting guard in the NBA. He's a solid ball-handler who can dribble with either hand, usually playing under control, and is able to go right or left equally well. His passing ability is decent, as he shows no selfishness and seems to have good court vision. A couple of years ago he was projected as a PG, and although he's developed quite a bit more towards the shooting guard position, he can handle spot minutes at the point when needed.

Belinelli's biggest asset on the offensive end, especially as far as the NBA is concerned is definitely his outside shot. Every facet of it has improved dramatically over the past two years. He specifically worked on this part of his game and has become more and more consistent. He's especially good as a set shooter thanks to his quick release, compensating for the fact that his feet barely leave the ground (a la Brent Barry). He has amazing accuracy and range, out to well beyond the NBA 3-point line. When trying a jumper off the dribble he uses his athleticism to elevate and shoot over the defender, often going for a fade-away jumpshot. He moves well without the ball, and his shot selection is decent; not being afraid to shoot when opportunity strikes or his team needs him to, but also not forcing up too many shots.

Defensively, Belinelli is much more solid than many of the other young European prospects. In fact, in the past two seasons he was primarily used as a defensive specialist by his coach, as he can effectively guard multiple positions in Europe. He has good footwork and lateral quickness, which along with his length and quick hands in the passing lanes make him a great asset in pressure defense situations. He usually guards the opponents' best backcourt player. Climamio plays both man to man and zone, and his effectiveness is quite the same.

Generally, for a guy who's not even 20 years old, he shows good maturity when he's on the court, being known as a coachable player with a good work ethic. Climamio's coach Jasmin Repesa is known for his ability to develop young players, and was not afraid to give him meaningful minutes ever since Belinelli was 17 years old.

He already showed that he's a clutch player, as he's not afraid of taking big shots in the crucial moments, being a factor in his team's triumph in the past Italian League playoff Finals. The experience he has garnered playing at the highest level of competition to be found outside of the NBA is something that must be considered a huge plus; as Belinelli more than holds his own in the very tough Euroleague and Italian league.

Weaknesses
Even if Belinelli's body has vastly improved over the past few years, he will still need to add some bulk to play in the NBA. Particularly, he needs some more upper body strength.

Offensively, right now the main concern about him is his slashing ability. Although he theoretically has all the tools to be a great slasher (at the European level at least), being quick with a nice first step, possessing good ball-handling skills and improved body strength, he prefers to rely almost strictly on his perimeter shot instead of mixing up his game by taking his opponent off the dribble and going strong to the hoop. He seems to rely too much on his jumper, and does not get to the free throw nearly as much as he could considering his athletic gifts. He could use some improvements in his shot too, as he sometimes tends to unnecessarily go off balance when shooting off the dribble or off screens.

Even though his ball handling and passing skills look decent, right now they don't seem to be enough for him to consistently play the point as he was projected earlier in his career, especially in the NBA. He doesn't protect the ball well enough and still has difficulties against full court pressure. Plus, it seems that this project has been momentarily dropped, as his team is developing him primarily as a shooting guard.

Defensively, he's good but probably won’t be able to guard NBA point guards, because he already suffers when a quicker opponent takes him off the dribble. His defense on pick & rolls could use some improvement as well.

Although he generally puts in a good effort, sometimes he seems to lose a bit of focus, either committing foolish fouls, trying a spectacular pass over a simple one, or being a little late rotating on defense. However, these things are not uncommon for a 20 year old player competing with grown men in one of the most competitive leagues in the world outside the NBA.

Competition
Belinelli is one of the most highly regarded Italian prospects in quite some time, ever since he was a kid playing in Virtus Bologna’s junior teams. He made his first team debut with them in 2002 before signing a 5 year contract with city rivals Fortitudo after the bankruptcy of Virtus in the summer of 2003.

In the 2003-04 campaign, his role on the team that reached the Euroleague finals (losing against Maccabi) was marginal, but he still managed to play more than 10 mpg and had some nice games every now and then.

In 2004-05, he became one of the main rotation players off the bench on the team, being used by coach Repesa mostly a defensive specialist. Climamio did not qualify for the top 16 in the Euroleague, but eventually won the Italian League. Belinelli, after a mid-season slump, played great in the playoffs, taking advantage of Milos Vujanic's serious injury that gave him some extra minutes, and ended up being one of the crucial players in the Finals against Milano.

With that said, his breakout season has undoubtedly been the current one. This year, along with Kiwane Garris, Belinelli averages more minutes than anyone in Climamio, and has been consistent enough to become one of the team's best scorers and one of the best shooters in Europe. In the Italian League, he's averaging 11.3 ppg, shooting 44% from beyond the arc on almost 6 attempted 3-pointers in 26 minutes per game.

In the Euroleague, his stats are slightly better: in 27 mpg, he's averaging 13.9 points, shooting 46% for three, and has recorded some excellent outings even against top competition. He again suffered from a bit of mid-season slump, but he seems to be coming out of it lately.

Belinelli has played in many international youth championships with Italy, always being the leader on the team and one of the best scorers in the tournaments. It's very likely that Carlo Recalcati will call him up to make his debut in the senior national team in the 2006 World Championships in Japan.

Outlook
It’s not clear whether Belinelli is going to declare for the 2006 draft. His buyout situation is not the most transparent; in fact, his current contract probably doesn't even have a buyout clause.

Right now, all that is sure is that he's under contract until 2008 with Fortitudo, and he's more than once stated that he wants to come to the NBA as an established player who is ready to contribute. So even if he does declare in 2006 or 2007, it's possible that the team that drafts him might have to wait to bring him over until his contract with Climamio expires, unless an agreement between his team and Italian agent (who is also his brother) can be reached. If he does declare this year and decides to pull out, he will either have to wait until he's automatically eligible in 2008 or enter in 2007 and not have the option to withdraw because of the new rules in the NBA collective bargaining agreement. This makes his decision this May a little bit tougher.

Whenever he enters the draft, he has obvious first round or even top-20 potential, even though NBA teams aren't very high on European guards lately and the ambiguity around his buyout (or lack thereof) could hurt his chances.

Facts
He earned MVP honors at the Italian Super Cup, the first official trophy of the 2005-06 season.

His favorite players are Manu Ginobili (who was a teammate of his in the 2001-02 season), and Kobe Bryant.

© 2007 DraftExpress LLC. All rights reserved.

The more I see and read about this kid he is almost reminds me of Manu, but 10 years younger

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Anybody know how he is on defense? Comments under the video say he's not very good there. Crazy fadeaways, though.

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Says his lateral quickness isnt the best, that he might struggle with more athletic sgs, but that he also has great anticipation and quick hands. I hope his contract situation doesnt keep him there

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Sure, I'd take him too if he fell to the Spurs and there were no SF prospects. With guys like Fernandez/Belinelli the Spurs have the luxury of potentially keeping them overseas for one more year to let the contracts of Barry and Finley (their likely competition for playing time/roster spots) expire. I'm certain the Spurs could use their talents right away, but it would be an option....

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Can the Spurs afford to draft a guy who's not coming right away? I don't think so. I'd even be concerned drafting Rudy.

mardigan
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Can the Spurs afford to draft a guy who's not coming right away? I don't think so. I'd even be concerned drafting Rudy.

Thats very true, and I dont know how much this kids buyout would be, I wonder if I could find that somewhere

mardigan
03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
He scored 25 against the US team in the last Olympics

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM

The Spurs do most likely have Barry and Finley for the next year, so while it wouldn't be preferrable to draft a guy with the first pick just to leave him overseas, I think it's a viable option if that guy is Rudy/Marco.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I guess. As far as we've struggled this year, it will be worse next if we don't get an injection of youth and talent. (I don't see Butler or White as having a future with the team - just me.)

mardigan
03-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I guess. As far as we've struggled this year, it will be worse next if we don't get an injection of youth and talent. (I don't see Butler or White as having a future with the team - just me.)

See Im really not sure about either, just because I havent seen them play.

AFBlue
03-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I think both Butler and White get unfair criticism levied on them, but I don't know if they're with this team next year either. I think it will depend on who is brought in this offseason.

If the Spurs draft Alando Tucker, who I think compares to White but with a better inside game, then I don't see the Spurs holding on to White.

If the Spurs bring Scola AND Mahinmi over, I think Butler will get a fair shake but could be traded.

I'm not sure how likely it is that either or both of those things happen, so I'll say that Butler and White will have a chance to prove themselves in the summer league.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm watching Georgetown-Notre Dame right now and there's no doubt in my mind the Spurs should do whatever they can to move up and get Jeff Green. He's my guy.

xcoriate
03-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Do we still have a chance to collect the Bulls pick?

Currently the Bulls are 9th overall - I noticed draftexpress.com still had Portland receiving the pick...

Also did we trade any picks in the Eric William - Melvin Ely trade?

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Charlotte got a 2009 2nd round pick from us. I believe that's the one we got from Toronto and used to belong to New Orleans, so about the middle of the pack.

The Chicago pick this year is top 51 protected, so it needs to be 52 or higher. If that truly is the case, then that pick should be listed as ours on nbadraft.

xcoriate
03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Hmm ok maybe there across it then, the pick is currently 51st so the Blazers would receive it.

Go Bulls then I guess.

wildbill2u
03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I went to Draft Express and checked the top rated college seniors for SFs.

I eliminated any SFs such as Thornton who were rated above #20 which got rid of Byars, Rayshawn Terry, Demetris Nichols, etc who probably won't be there when we draft although a rash of underclassmen coming out could change that some.

I also elininated anyone below 6'8" because they always wind up to be 6'6" (but with long wingspan so they play taller: where have we heard that canard before)

At #22 I found Muhamad Akubar from San Diego State (6'10") and Cartier Martin at 44(KState 6'8")

That's about it for our long 3 rookie prospects.

Does anyone know anything about these two guys. There isn't much current stuff on the site--which may tell you more than a full profile.

Mr. Body
03-10-2007, 12:06 AM
I eliminated any SFs such as Thornton who were rated above #20 which got rid of Byars, Rayshawn Terry, Demetris Nichols, etc who probably won't be there when we draft although a rash of underclassmen coming out could change that some.

Every single one of those guys will still be around with our pick. They're all projected as 2nd rounders.

Edited: I just went to figure out what you were doing... Why do you think teams are only allowed to draft seniors? A number of underclassmen SFs are expected to come out. Durant, Julian Wright, maybe Thaddeus Young, Corey Brewer, and Jeff Green.

wildbill2u
03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Every single one of those guys will still be around with our pick. They're all projected as 2nd rounders.

Edited: I just went to figure out what you were doing... Why do you think teams are only allowed to draft seniors? A number of underclassmen SFs are expected to come out. Durant, Julian Wright, maybe Thaddeus Young, Corey Brewer, and Jeff Green.
I qualified my post with this: "...although a rash of underclassmen coming out could change that some.

Obviously if 20 better underclassmen and Euros come into the draft, then some of these guys may drop into our range. But from what I read, Thornton is completely out of the question at our pick.

By the way, I used the Draft Express search function for a SF from 6'8' to 6'10" with athleticism, rebounder, and shooting skills who was guaranteed to be in the 2007 draft. Turned out there was no one with that profile. Overstocked with PFs for this draft.

So while the draft will be deep this year, the dreamed of long 3 might not be in the mix at our draft spot. But I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Mr. Body
03-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Corey Brewer is coming out. Durant and Green probably will. Thaddeus Young and Julian Wright may. There are quite a few underclassmen at every other position who will come out, too, including two of Brewer's teammates. This won't be a 'rash of underclassmen'; like every year it will be a gout. True, some of the guys projected to come out in some mocks, like Spencer Hawes, I see as likely to stay for another year. True, Al Thornton will not be available late in the round.

Who WILL be available late in the round are the Dudleys, the Reyshawn Terrys, the Demetrius Nichols, Byars, Cartier Martin, and the guy from San Diego State. Most of them will still be available with the Milwaukee pick.

I don't think anybody expects the answer at #28. Certainly not a long, athletic, rebounding three. If they want a Jeff Green, they have to trade up to get him. If they want a TRUE, excellent replacement for Bowen, they need to trade up to get him. But what is exciting about this draft is that even failing to trade up in a substantial way, there will be some nice players still available so late. They won't fit the precise desire, but they'll at least be nice bench players and help us there.

mountainballer
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM

some mocks have Rudy going ahead of Marco, others have Marco first. but all have both picked somewhere between 15 and 25.
I agree, that Rudy should be picked ahead of Marco, if I had the choice, I would do it.
maybe the fact, that Rudy has a contract till 2008 and likely won't be able to manage his buyout this year is the reason why he is sometimes ranked lower than Marco. (his contract status I don't know, but I didn't read about a buyout)
Marco isn't bigger than Rudy, they are almost exactly the same. Rudy has bulked up a bit. I think Rudy is the more special player with more qualities (rebounding and passing), he's the better defender and a bit more athletic.
Marco's jump shot looks better than Rudy's, but I can't find another category where I would rank him higher.

a reaso why Marco is ranked higher than some would rank him (like me) might be, that 5 years ago, when he played his first euroleague season at only 16 and showed some nice games, he was hyped as a wunderkind. (like Rubio this year). he did improve since then, but back then some thought he will be a top 5 pick when he declares. remember Rodriguez? he was also expected to be a top 5 pick when he dominated the European youth competitions, but fell to no. 27 last draft. many 2006 mocks had him still higher, I guess they just remembered also all the hype some years back.
anyhow, I do think that Belinelli is a 1st round talent, but other than Fernandez (who I would pick he he was there), Spurs shouldn't take him if he fell to their pick. I would still prefer one of the many college SFs, who will be still on the board.
if he would fall till the Bucks 2nd rounder, he would be a no-brainer, if the Spurs have already picked the SF I was talking about.
that is not very likely, but something like this happens every year.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't think the Spurs should bother drafting someone with their first pick who has to stay abroad due to contract or whatever. Fernandez has a buyout, I think, but it's not too bad.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
some mocks have Rudy going ahead of Marco, others have Marco first. but all have both picked somewhere between 15 and 25.
I agree, that Rudy should be picked ahead of Marco, if I had the choice, I would do it.
maybe the fact, that Rudy has a contract till 2008 and likely won't be able to manage his buyout this year is the reason why he is sometimes ranked lower than Marco. (his contract status I don't know, but I didn't read about a buyout)
Marco isn't bigger than Rudy, they are almost exactly the same. Rudy has bulked up a bit. I think Rudy is the more special player with more qualities (rebounding and passing), he's the better defender and a bit more athletic.
Marco's jump shot looks better than Rudy's, but I can't find another category where I would rank him higher.

a reaso why Marco is ranked higher than some would rank him (like me) might be, that 5 years ago, when he played his first euroleague season at only 16 and showed some nice games, he was hyped as a wunderkind. (like Rubio this year). he did improve since then, but back then some thought he will be a top 5 pick when he declares. remember Rodriguez? he was also expected to be a top 5 pick when he dominated the European youth competitions, but fell to no. 27 last draft. many 2006 mocks had him still higher, I guess they just remembered also all the hype some years back.
anyhow, I do think that Belinelli is a 1st round talent, but other than Fernandez (who I would pick he he was there), Spurs shouldn't take him if he fell to their pick. I would still prefer one of the many college SFs, who will be still on the board.
if he would fall till the Bucks 2nd rounder, he would be a no-brainer, if the Spurs have already picked the SF I was talking about.
that is not very likely, but something like this happens every year.

ESPN Top 100 rated Rudy ahead of Marco for the first time all year, but take that for what it's worth. They also rated Chase Budinger, Nick Young, Rodney Stuckey, Morris Almond, and Dequan Cook ahead of them both. I think there is more than enough potential talent in this draft for a guy like Fernandez to fall (especially with a buyout concern), but it will ultimately come down to which players impress which individual GMs....this draft is deep on similarly talented players.

mardigan
03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
The more I read about and see of Derrick Byars, the more I think this is the guy. 6-7 senior from Vandy, athletic, decent defender, can shoot and handle the rock. In fact, Im calling my shot right now, if he is there (which Im sure he will be), this will be our guy next year

Despot
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Can we start a list of draft websites? I know of a few, just seeing if there are any other reputable ones.

mardigan
03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I like nbadraft.net a lot

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 01:50 PM
The more I read about and see of Derrick Byars, the more I think this is the guy. 6-7 senior from Vandy, athletic, decent defender, can shoot and handle the rock. In fact, Im calling my shot right now, if he is there (which Im sure he will be), this will be our guy next year

Not sure about Byars b/c I've never actually seen him play, which is odd because living in Georgia I catch alot of SEC action. Then again, I've never seen McGuire play, so I can't exactly champion one guy and dog on the other....

mardigan
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ4R-U65xcM
Byars highlight reel, I absolutely love this kid

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I was just reading up on the TON of PF in this draft. Whether or not the Spurs snag one of these guys, they'll probably be "buy low" kind of players, or at least force some of the other 3s to drop...

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Doesn't Byars project more as a SG? He's listed as 6'7", which is a tiny bit short for our needs, although it matches Bowen. I'm looking at his profiles. I know Vandy upset Florida. Strangely enough DX has him near the end of the 2nd round. Seems a bit late. Everything will change in the Tournament and their sub-bracket looks a little weak.

... uh, I just noticed he wears a headband. So, no. :lol

mardigan
03-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Doesn't Byars project more as a SG? He's listed as 6'7", which is a tiny bit short for our needs, although it matches Bowen. I'm looking at his profiles. I know Vandy upset Florida. Strangely enough DX has him near the end of the 2nd round. Seems a bit late. Everything will change in the Tournament and their sub-bracket looks a little weak.

We need to get gangsta Body, dont ya know?
Nbadraft.net has him late in the first, but your right, many draft sites have him lower, but I still think he would be the shit for us.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Doesn't James White wear a headband as well? Doomed from the beginning... :lol

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 02:29 PM

He's listed as the 21st SF in the draft by ESPN. Then again, alot can change in the tourney (as you said) and some of the individuals listed may not come out.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Guys like Reyshawn Terry, Cartier Martin, Nichols, Dudley are all ahead of him on that list...

mardigan
03-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, I guess its a risky shot to take, but there is something about this kid I really like

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
He has a slow shot and is a 5th year senior, which is why he's ranked as a 2nd rounder, DX says. I'd certainly take a look at him and he may impress in the pre-draft camps. And, again, Vanderbilt's first couple rounds don't look terribly tough, so could get some exposure. It does say he's a pretty good defender.

This goes to show more than anything that a good prospect should be available with the Milwaukee pick. The Spurs, if they chose, could easily have two pretty good rookies on their roster next year (depends, of course, on whether Butler/White are still around). It also means coupling the 1st+Milwaukee isn't an absolute no-gainer this year in a deep draft.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't know if he's ready to contribute. Hell I don't know if any of these guys are ready to contribute. I think the Spurs should look for a guy that might be ready to give "something" this upcoming year, but really look to take the spot in 2008, because I'm not sure "that guy" is there when the Spurs draft and they do in fact have Bowen/Finley (most likely) for next season.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying the Spurs should draft no help, but a guy like McGuire or Rush or Byars or whoever might be the best option at the bottom of the first, top of the second.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 02:53 PM
The enormous gap between where Byars is rated by certain draft boards is another reason to think there might be some quality players left when the Spurs draft. If you think GMs all have the same thoughts about what players have certain value, you're wrong. Sure there are consensus top 5s and top 10s, maybe even lottery guys, but even those surefire lottery picks stumble on draft day (Danny Granger, Gerald Green).

I guess I'm saying that the Spurs have a legit shot at all of these guys (except for maybe Green, Thornton). But that also means that you're value assesment might be CLEARLY different from how the Spurs FO values each player. It'll be interesting to see how the Spurs FO drafts this off-season with increased exposure to the College scene.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Guys like Brewer and Green will probably be lottery picks. I'm sure Green will be -- I project them to go deep. Florida probably will, too, but maybe he'll expose himself in some way -- teams bizarrely go for mystery more than known quantities sometimes.

Regardless, the Spurs should be in position to claim a good young bench player to come off the bench next year. Who, incidentally, I think will be better already than James White (where in the world would James White be in this draft?). Plus, I think a good senior point guard could be had in the second round. Zabian Dowdell is projected later in the 2nd, after all.

Who knows. We have a roster crunch -- too many mediocre and aging players. Some magic could happen. Trading up still has to be a priority.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
(where in the world would James White be in this draft?).

This is a great question. If talk about Alando Tucker has him falling all the way to the Spurs and he has a similar skill set with much further advanced scoring ability...

I don't know. I'd see a guy like White falling until the middle of the second round. As good as he can be, he never put it together during college and has only one offensive weapon...the dunk. Tucker has the inside game to go with his athleticism.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 03:12 PM
White had 'potential' going for him, or in Hubie-speak 'upside potential' (the potential to have upside). He is tremendously weak but can soar from the air when nobody is around. Never dunks in traffic. He has decent skills, and to be fair, he's a decent shooter, but this look like a draft with a mass of decent-but-not-excellent SF prospects.

Last year we had Rodney Carney, Ronnie Brewer, Thabo Sefolosha (if he's a SF, not a SG), and then a drop to Shawne Williams, then another drop to James White. I cannot express how shitty a draft last year was.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 03:17 PM
White had 'potential' going for him, or in Hubie-speak 'upside potential' (the potential to have upside). He is tremendously weak but can soar from the air when nobody is around. Never dunks in traffic. He has decent skills, and to be fair, he's a decent shooter, but this look like a draft with a mass of decent-but-not-excellent SF prospects.

Last year we had Rodney Carney, Ronnie Brewer, Thabo Sefolosha (if he's a SF, not a SG), and then a drop to Shawne Williams, then another drop to James White. I cannot express how shitty a draft last year was.

Still I think the Spurs should look for more of a "Long 3/Small Ball 4" than a "Bruce Bowen" type with White still on this team. But if the Spurs do draft a guy who looks like the "Bowen Replacement", they'll probably let White go...

pad300
03-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Still I think the Spurs should look for more of a "Long 3/Small Ball 4" than a "Bruce Bowen" type with White still on this team. But if the Spurs do draft a guy who looks like the "Bowen Replacement", they'll probably let White go...

Don't get overly tied into the idea of a "Bowen" replacement. We have a lot of old wings (Finley, Barry, Bowen), and one who is just getting to the edge of being old (Manu). I think the FO would be happy to add another young wing prospect to the roster while keeping Mr. White.

I also think that the emphasis will be on best player available, as we have a lot of mediocre spots.
1) Big man beside Duncan (PF or C, whichever works better)
2) Youth at the Wing Spots (at SF backing up or taking over from Bowen or SG, backing up Manu, taking over from Finley & Barry)
That's 4 positions, and at least 6 possible impact points on a 15 man roster. The only position that we are not really interested in is PG; Tony starts for the next 4 or 5 years, and I think the organization is not interested in a non-vet backup PG, after the Beno Udrih saga...

mardigan
03-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree withthe fact, that we might not ever find a "Bowen replacment", just because there isnt another defender in the league like him defensively. If we could fing someone with decent d, and a much better offensive game, I think it would even itself out with the guy on our new guy having to work on the defensive end, which Bowens defenders dont really have to worry about

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Don't get overly tied into the idea of a "Bowen" replacement. We have a lot of old wings (Finley, Barry, Bowen), and one who is just getting to the edge of being old (Manu). I think the FO would be happy to add another young wing prospect to the roster while keeping Mr. White.

I also think that the emphasis will be on best player available, as we have a lot of mediocre spots.
1) Big man beside Duncan (PF or C, whichever works better)
2) Youth at the Wing Spots (at SF backing up or taking over from Bowen or SG, backing up Manu, taking over from Finley & Barry)
That's 4 positions, and at least 6 possible impact points on a 15 man roster. The only position that we are not really interested in is PG; Tony starts for the next 4 or 5 years, and I think the organization is not interested in a non-vet backup PG, after the Beno Udrih saga...

Agreed that there is more than one hole in this team, which is why I said the Spurs should grab the best player regardless of position with their first two picks if a "ready" 3 is not available.

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 04:06 AM
Trading up still has to be a priority.

I was thinking a lot about this point and I changed my oppinion on this a bit. the most realistic (maybe only realistic?) scenario to trade up is, that Spurs pack the Buck's pick and their first rounder to trade up for (at best) 5 spots. if they add some more, they might be able to jump for another spot or two, but that's it.
now I see it a bit different. the most attracting players (like the mentioned Brewer and Green) will still be out of reach, but as often mentioned, there will be a variety of decent (wing) role players, in other words, exactly what the Spurs need.
I was thinking about the other teams needs and expect even more, that those players drop to the area where Spurs have two picks, because (other than Spurs) most teams are well equiped at the wing. thoses teams would pick a potential star SF even if they have a decent player at SF, but not thoses role player typ SFs.
so the board likely will still be full of nice options (Nichols, Byars, McGuire, Tucker, Rush and some more) and in this case I would prefer to be able to pick two players out of this group, or to pick an interesting PG (Shakur, T.Green?) or big (Fazekas?)

so overall I prefer two picks in the area the Spurs currently are over a 23 or 24 pick. if Spurs go "conservative" and would pick for example Tucker and Nichols, this will also be a good solution, since Spurs have to repleace 3 wing players within the next 1 1/2 years and White is not a sure thing to be one of those repleacements.

TDMVPDPOY
03-14-2007, 05:02 AM
unless the spurs pull out another bs pick like ian mahinmi, tp, beno bs, needle in a haystack pick where nobody knows.

im done with the days with this team and FO as the nbas benchmark and reputation, we are barely getting by, and i think its time for change, rejuvenate the fuckn roster damnit with some young talent for teh future. If we are not going to draft a long 3, fill in the other needs.

Trevor ariza looks promisin, is he a FA?

AFBlue
03-14-2007, 05:09 AM
Ariza isn't a FA, think he signed a 3yr deal this last off-season.

AFBlue
03-14-2007, 05:13 AM
I was thinking a lot about this point and I changed my oppinion on this a bit. the most realistic (maybe only realistic?) scenario to trade up is, that Spurs pack the Buck's pick and their first rounder to trade up for (at best) 5 spots. if they add some more, they might be able to jump for another spot or two, but that's it.
now I see it a bit different. the most attracting players (like the mentioned Brewer and Green) will still be out of reach, but as often mentioned, there will be a variety of decent (wing) role players, in other words, exactly what the Spurs need.
I was thinking about the other teams needs and expect even more, that those players drop to the area where Spurs have two picks, because (other than Spurs) most teams are well equiped at the wing. thoses teams would pick a potential star SF even if they have a decent player at SF, but not thoses role player typ SFs.
so the board likely will still be full of nice options (Nichols, Byars, McGuire, Tucker, Rush and some more) and in this case I would prefer to be able to pick two players out of this group, or to pick an interesting PG (Shakur, T.Green?) or big (Fazekas?)

so overall I prefer two picks in the area the Spurs currently are over a 23 or 24 pick. if Spurs go "conservative" and would pick for example Tucker and Nichols, this will also be a good solution, since Spurs have to repleace 3 wing players within the next 1 1/2 years and White is not a sure thing to be one of those repleacements.

Agreed, but I have to think the Spurs should be ready in case one of these guys falls, which can happen every now and then. If given the choice to trade up and get a guy like Green/Thornton/Brewer, I think the Spurs would have to look hard at doing it. As much as I like Fazekas and Rudy Fernandez and some of the point guards, there isn't an immediate need for those players...then again, maybe the Spurs FO and I have differing opinions....after all, does anyone REALLY know how the Spurs FO thinks?

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Trevor ariza looks promisin, is he a FA?

McGuire might be close to Ariza, when looking for a long and athletic SF, who can defend.

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 05:33 AM
As much as I like Fazekas and Rudy Fernandez and some of the point guards, there isn't an immediate need for those players

I guess I was ambiguous when mentioning Fazekas. I see him as an option for the 2nd rounder, if he is still there. Fazekas wouldn't help immediatly, especially if Bonner resigns.

Fernandez would IMO, even if he isn't the SF we need. a Fernandez scenario IMO only makes sense, if Barry is traded and Rudy takes the back-up PG spot. Finly will also be there next season, so there is a veteran to back up Manu and a young energizer. I would love this option. I'm to much a fan of Fernandez, that I could resist, if he was on the board when the Spurs pick. as you said, there isn't an immediate need for him, but I really would love to see the 8 years younger duplication of Manu on our roster.

AFBlue
03-14-2007, 05:43 AM
I guess I was ambiguous when mentioning Fazekas. I see him as an option for the 2nd rounder, if he is still there. Fazekas wouldn't help immediatly, especially if Bonner resigns.

Fernandez would IMO, even if he isn't the SF we need. a Fernandez scenario IMO only makes sense, if Barry is traded and Rudy takes the back-up PG spot. Finly will also be there next season, so there is a veteran to back up Manu and a young energizer. I would love this option. I'm to much a fan of Fernandez, that I could resist, if he was on the board when the Spurs pick. as you said, there isn't an immediate need for him, but I really would love to see the 8 years younger duplication of Manu on our roster.

Again, I agree with you that stockpiling the most talented players is the best option if the Spurs are unable to trade up enough to get "that guy" at SF. I could see a scenario where the Spurs snagged a guy like Rudy Fernandez and then looked to actively trade Barry for immediate help at the 3 spot.

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Again, I agree with you that stockpiling the most talented players is the best option if the Spurs are unable to trade up enough to get "that guy" at SF. I could see a scenario where the Spurs snagged a guy like Rudy Fernandez and then looked to actively trade Barry for immediate help at the 3 spot.

there might be a scenario like this and if an interesting player (interesting for another team) falls to the Buck's pick, this could be a nice teaser when packed with Barry.
some teams don't have a single pick in this draft (Cavs, Nuggets, Pacers) or own only late 2nd rounder (Raptors), or don't have a 2nd rounder (Knicks, Kings,Hawks, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Heat). for all these teams the Buck's pick should be somehow interesting, considering the deep draft.

AFBlue
03-14-2007, 07:19 AM
there might be a scenario like this and if an interesting player (interesting for another team) falls to the Buck's pick, this could be a nice teaser when packed with Barry.
some teams don't have a single pick in this draft (Cavs, Nuggets, Pacers) or own only late 2nd rounder (Raptors), or don't have a 2nd rounder (Knicks, Kings,Hawks, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Heat). for all these teams the Buck's pick should be somehow interesting, considering the deep draft.

S&T for Gerald Wallace involving Barry and one of the first two picks? A man can dream can't he...

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 07:37 AM
S&T for Gerald Wallace involving Barry and one of the first two picks? A man can dream can't he...

I didn't post this proposal, because I was afraid to be called clueless again. but yes, that's the kind of dream I would spend some sleep on.
(and I would add some more to the package if needed, in fact everything outside TNT)

a S&T scenario that would work IMO is, Barry+2nd rounder for MoPete (who signs for example a 3 years MLE type contract). well, maybe this would work also without adding the pick, but if the pick was included, Colangelo wouldn't say no.

and, just to mentione the third that comes to mind: S&T for Posey. Miami have a 1st rounder, but considering their aging roster and all the expiring contracts they have, they will like getting another pick. (Posey won't resign with them anyhow)

Mr. Body
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Interesting scenarios. Brewer/Green may indeed be out of our boundaries and it will suck to see someone pick them up who already has one or two good SFs on the team. Maybe the likely route is to pull an established veteran - I would like to see Barry go this summer, finally traded. I'm not sure who is available at #28, but with guys like Glen Davis already declaring, this could be a very interesting draft. I'm guessing Brandon Rush plays his way out of our grasp, but there will be other guys that drop down. And that Milwaukee pick is aces. What a nice thing to have. The only way to fuck this up for the FO is to sit back and do the stuff they've been doing the last few years. This is the absolutely wrong year to try and punt the draft picks.

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure who is available at #28, but with guys like Glen Davis already declaring, this could be a very interesting draft.

would you pick Davis with our 1st rounder?
he is a bit of a miracle, bcause noone can really tell how he will do in the NBA. he is a great guy, but I wouldn't risk the 1st rounder on him, we already have Butler as a player, who might have had a better career as a defensive lineman.

maybe he would also be an option for the 2nd rounder, if he is still on the board at 35.

Mr. Body
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
No, I wouldn't take Davis, but I meant that somebody would. The more underclassmen come out, the better our chances someone floats to us. I probably would consider him at 35.

mountainballer
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
No, I wouldn't take Davis, but I meant that somebody would. The more underclassmen come out, the better our chances someone floats to us. I probably would consider him at 35.

yes, I see.
combined with what I ment (that many teams picking ahead of us are filled with athletic wing players) every decent big who declares helps us. (goes also for PGs, there are only a few decent in this draft, those who are will likely be picked a bit higher).
looking at the current board, all non lottery picks before the Spurs pick are owned by teams that don't have SF as no. 1 need, most needed a PG and a big more than a wing. you mentioned Brandon Rush. he might be one of thoses players who will slip to our draft area. (if he declares)
in other years he would go 15-20 (I don't think teams see him as a lottery pick) but this year he will be there at 28 IMO.

Mr. Body
03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
There is only a slight chance Oden or Durant stays for another year. That's two.

If you look at the very best teams, how many players come from them might depend on how far they go. A team winning it all and sticking together, like Florida last year, is rare, and even a deep run can convince guys to come out.

Florida: Horford, Brewer, Noah
UNC: Hansbrough, Wright, Lawson?
UCLA: Collison?
Kansas: Wright, Rush, Arthur
Georgetown: Hibbert, Green

Then add Al Thornton, Yi Jianlin, Acie Law, and you basically have a lottery right there, minus one or two players (Rush projected later, etc.). And that's not accounting for Tiago Splitter, Marcus Williams, and guys like Aaron Gray, who some team will take too high. And it doesn't account for Thaddeus Young, Javaris Crittendon, and other underclassmen who will probably stay in.

That's pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the Spurs are about 8 picks out of making any real hay, but will make for an unusually intriguing draft.

mountainballer
03-15-2007, 01:04 PM
There is only a slight chance Oden or Durant stays for another year. That's two.

If you look at the very best teams, how many players come from them might depend on how far they go. A team winning it all and sticking together, like Florida last year, is rare, and even a deep run can convince guys to come out.

Florida: Horford, Brewer, Noah
UNC: Hansbrough, Wright, Lawson?
UCLA: Collison?
Kansas: Wright, Rush, Arthur
Georgetown: Hibbert, Green

Then add Al Thornton, Yi Jianlin, Acie Law, and you basically have a lottery right there, minus one or two players (Rush projected later, etc.). And that's not accounting for Tiago Splitter, Marcus Williams, and guys like Aaron Gray, who some team will take too high. And it doesn't account for Thaddeus Young, Javaris Crittendon, and other underclassmen who will probably stay in.

That's pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the Spurs are about 8 picks out of making any real hay, but will make for an unusually intriguing draft.

I think 8 players are lottery bound (Oden, Durant, B.Wright, J.Wright, Noah, Horford, Jianlian, Hawes) and 6 out of this 8 are likely also in the lottery (Law, Hibbert, Thornton, Brewer, T. Young, Splitter, J. Green, Budinger) always assuming all declare. (Budinger and T. Young might not declare, they have a nice chance to become a top 5 pick in 2008)
on the lottery bubble I see Fernandez, Thabet, Hansbrough, McRoberts, M. Williams, N.Young, D.James, Belinelli. workouts will be crucial for them.
one or two out of this group will for sure fall to our area.

so the group of our 2 picks will be: Tucker, Affalo, Almond, B.Rush, Stuckey, J.Smith, G.Davis, Gray, Visser Fazekas, Dudley, McGuire, Hill, Nichols, Gasol, S.Williams. (and some more of course)

IMO the most likely to slip out of group 2 are Splitter and Jeff Green. in the case of Green I agree with you, that we are about 8 picks out of the big hit. he is a great player, but I'm sure he will slip, if the Wolves don't pick him at 12. (before that pick, there are to many better players on the board). the following teams just don't need a player like him, next possible takers might be Heat at 18 and then Knicks at 20. if a miracle happens, he then falls to our hands. (very very unlikely, but if we had a no. 20 pick, he might be there)

about Rush, who you mentioned several times. I think he is also one of the players who might slip, maybe even to our pick. he isn't a talent in the Julian Wright mold and most teams already have one or two players like him on their roster. I can easily see him slip to the end of 1st round.
if he was there when we pick, he would be the perfect steal.
(even if he might not be able to provide immediat help in the first year like Tucker, Almond or Nichols could)

Winery
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm happy that we have an opportunity to get younger talent in this draft. Our bench is gettin older. We'l have alot of options. I'm hoping for an above average sf.

mountainballer
03-17-2007, 11:24 AM
I guess Shakur won't be an option any more. (he was mentioned as a possible 2nd round pick, also by me).
he still lacks a lot, especially in areas Pop usually is very demanding. (basketball IQ etc.)

on the other hand I like the idea of picking Tucker with the first rounder more and more.
he had a bad start yesterday, but worked his way back into the game and showed once again that he is Spurs material in terms of leadership and intangibles.
and he easily makes up for the 2 inch he is to shorter than the average NBA SF.
if Rush is gone, when the Spurs pick, Tucker would be my next wish player and the chance is there, that he will be on the board.
IMO the worst case for him would be that he turns into a Trenton Hassell like player, what would be still a great asset to have on the bench.
or he turns into a Desmond Mason with better understanding of the game.
if he was 6-7 or 6-8, he would for sure be a top 15 pick. but at 6-5 we will have the chance that he falls to our hands.

Mr. Body
03-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Dominic McGuire is declaring for the draft this year.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1934

mardigan
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Sweet tits, kids has a ton of up-side. By the way Body, have you watched Derrick Byars so far in the tourney? Kid is amazing

Mr. Body
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Sweet tits, kids has a ton of up-side. By the way Body, have you watched Derrick Byars so far in the tourney? Kid is amazing

I have. He may even slip into the second round, which would be fantastic. That Milwaukee pick could be aces.

mardigan
03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
If he keeps dropping 20 plus point games on everyone, I dont think he will be in the second, but that would be awesome

Mr. Body
03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
If he keeps dropping 20 plus point games on everyone, I dont think he will be in the second, but that would be awesome

Probably not, but there will be Nick Young and Morris Almond and Alando Tucker, etc., all fighting for the same spots. He'll probably be late 1st round.

mardigan
03-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Byars line from Washington ST. game-27 points on 9-20 shooting(5-9 from 3s, 4-4 fts), 5 boards, 3 steals, 2 assists, and 1 block. Cant wait to see him in the silver and black

Bruno
03-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Given that people have started to speak about draft prospects in this thread, I've edited the first post to give some infos about this year draft.

If you want that I add some infos in thsi post or if there are some mistakes, don't hesitate. :)

Maybe a mod can too change the title of this thread because it's quite misleading now on the content of this thread.

Mr. Body
03-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Nicely done. That's some solid information.

mountainballer
03-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Probably not, but there will be Nick Young and Morris Almond and Alando Tucker, etc., all fighting for the same spots. He'll probably be late 1st round.

did you notice that currently something intriguing is happening, if all the mock rankings can be trusted. (i know that the mock isn't an exactly science)
some of the interesting wing players, who we thought will likely be out of our range are slipping (Tucker, Marcus Williams), meanwhile some of the projected 2nd half 2nd rounders are rising (Dudely, Terry, Trey Johnson, Hosley).
so it happens, that in the area where we have 2 picks, almost only wing players are ranked. what I try to say. if it in fact happens this way, the Spurs can pick from a quite impressive pool of decent talents.

btw. does anybody have some information about this Wendell White, who just destroyed Tucker and Wisconsin?
is he someone, who should be added to our list? at least it sounds as if he was the currently toughest player in college basketball.

CosmicCowboy
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
The only thing predictable about a Spurs draft is that we will have 50 threads in here the next day bitching and moaning about the picks they traded away instead of taking the "next" LeBron.

Mr. Body
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I think DX mentioned Wendell White in a 'Stock Rising' part. DX also has some good stuff on how the bottom of the round is filling with shooting guards and wings. A lot will depend on the Draft Camps, too, but there should be a log of good players still available at the end. With guys like Dominic McGuire coming in, it only helps us.

The DX article is about how most of the American lottery picks almost always are in the Sweet Sixteen of the tournament, and even top 20 picks, too. I think they say only Al Thornton is rated that high who didn't make the NCAAs.

mathbzh
03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
The only thing predictable about a Spurs draft is that we will have 50 threads in here the next day bitching and moaning about the picks they traded away instead of taking the "next" LeBron.

And if we ever pick a new Ginobili... In 2 years we will have hundreds of "I knew he would become a top player!!!" threads

Mr. Body
03-20-2007, 11:57 AM
And if we draft another Mahinmi... we'll get threads that go "what the hell is taking so long" about his young and inexperienced Euroleague games. What's the point?

mountainballer
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
yes, DX has some good writers, they are also covering the Euro basketball quite well.
I think the article about the tournament (and how it sometimes leads to a wrong judgment of a player) is right, I'm just missing a point about the pressure and the crowd. if a player shows his best games in front of 30000 and more spectators in a one and done game, it does tell much about his big game abilities. at least you have an indication, that such a player won't be totally overexert with the pressure of a PO game.
McGuire looks very intriguing.
even if he didn't face the thoughest competition on college level, almost 10 RPG and 3.5 BPG (!) for a SF are quite impressive numbers. (numbers we would really need, especially the rebounding) sounds a bit like like Josh Smith.

mardigan
03-20-2007, 12:32 PM
The Spurs should just sign Randolph Morris right now, since he is eligible to sign with a team now and not have to enter the draft, but thats another topic I suppose....

White averaged almost 15 points ands 6 boards in 27 minutes a game this last year. The thing with him is, for someone 6-6, he cant shoot the 3 (.067 ouch), and is a bad free throw shooter (67%). He plays more like a big than a guard, and that wont transfer well at the next level. He has tremendous heart and toughness. Good rebounder for his size, but not a great ball handler and will have trouble guarding fast guards at the next level. I would much rather have Byars, whos game will transfer much easier at the next level than White or Tucker.

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Don't know if you saw it already, but "Big Baby" Davis declared for this draft. I know some of the sites didn't include him in their mock drafts, so add some more depth to this draft...

mountainballer
03-20-2007, 12:40 PM
The thing with him is, for someone 6-6, he cant shoot the 3 (.067 ouch), and is a bad free throw shooter (67%). He plays more like a big than a guard, and that wont transfer well at the next level.

I thought Randolph Morris is a Center?

mardigan
03-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I thought Randolph Morris is a Center?
He is, I was talking about White

Bruno
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
BTW, Bulls second round pick isn't top51 protected but top53 protected. Ludden say it in his mailbag and espn too.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032007.WEBSPURSMAILBAG.EN.2f3c826b.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2782886

Mr. Body
03-20-2007, 01:48 PM
BTW, Bulls second round pick isn't top51 protected but top53 protected. Ludden say it in his mailbag and espn too.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032007.WEBSPURSMAILBAG.EN.2f3c826b.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2782886

Damn. They'd have to catch Cleveland or Houston, both of which are 4 games up in the loss column. Not likely.

Not like Portland (who wd get it instead) needs another 2nd rounder. Don't they have, like, 4-5?

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I’d be surprised if Luis isn’t in the NBA next season. I can’t say whether it’s going to be with the Spurs, but I certainly wouldn’t rule it out, particularly if Robert Horry decides to retire.

I asked one Spurs official the other day if signing Luis would be an option this summer. His response: "Absolutely."

The buyout clause in Luis’ contract with Tau Ceramica – the same clause that made it next to impossible for the Spurs to sign him two summers ago – has dropped to a little more than $3 million.

As a result, interest in Luis from other NBA teams picked up around the trade deadline. I expect there will be a few more queries this summer.

Scola's saga : episode 532.

These comments by Bruno in another thread caught my eye. Scola is being looked at hard and could be used as bait to trade up in this ever-deepening draft...

BTW, I am not an advocate of trading away Scola....

mardigan
03-20-2007, 02:22 PM
I wouldnt want to trade him either, not a fan of trading players before you can see what they do

Bruno
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Scola is being looked at hard and could be used as bait to trade up in this ever-deepening draft...

BTW, I am not an advocate of trading away Scola....

Or he can be traded with expiring contracts to get a vet.

Scola is having a very good year in europe and will likely be euroleague's MVP, his buyout isn't a concern anymore : his trade value will be at an all time high this summer.
I'm not saying too that Spurs should trade him but why not, if an interested team make a good offer.

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Or he can be traded with expiring contracts to get a vet.

Scola is having a very good year in europe and will likely be euroleague's MVP, his buyout isn't a concern anymore : his trade value will be at an all time high this summer.
I'm not saying too that Spurs should trade him but why not, if an interested team make a good offer.

I wonder what the Spurs will term "a good offer", because they have been fairly cautious in the past, so I don't see a deal getting done unless they can get something significant in return.

Also, while I agree that his value may be at an "all-time high" this summer, I think that's relative to what it's been at before (worth next to nothing). I still say that to establish any real value, he'll have to come overseas and prove it on this stage (something I'm confident in)....

Mr. Body
03-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I wonder if Scola+the Milwaukee pick could move the Spurs pick into the late teens.

mardigan
03-20-2007, 03:08 PM
You know, the more I read about McGuire the more I think he would be a perfect fit for what we need, athletic enough to guard and play the 3, big and strong enough to match up against some 4s, he would be a pretty good fit

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 03:13 PM
You know, the more I read about McGuire the more I think he would be a perfect fit for what we need, athletic enough to guard and play the 3, big and strong enough to match up against some 4s, he would be a pretty good fit

I've also been impressed with Reyshawn Terry's play in the tourney.

mardigan
03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
He is damn good, and a great defender, athletic as hell, I think the SPurs could have a good shot at him in the mid 2nd

Bruno
03-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I wonder what the Spurs will term "a good offer", because they have been fairly cautious in the past, so I don't see a deal getting done unless they can get something significant in return.

Spurs wanted last year a first round pick for Scola, I don't see why they will ask for less this summer.

And if nobody is ready to give what Spurs want for Scola they can just sign him : there are no reasons to trade Scola for something that will help less Spurs than Scola himself. Ludden says in his mailbag that Spurs aren't against signing Scola.

I asked one Spurs official the other day if signing Luis would be an option this summer. His response: "Absolutely."

traitoravery
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Think we could get Big Baby in the late 20's?

mardigan
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
I think Big Baby will definately be there late in the 1st, although Im really not sure how good of a fit he would be

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Think we could get Big Baby in the late 20's?

Think he might last until the second round as there are plenty of skilled PFs in this draft without "weight" issues. I also think that the Spurs have filled their quota for out-of-shape big in Jackie Butler. I think he'll be a good asset to another team, but I doubt he's wearing silver and black next year...

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Spurs wanted last year a first round pick for Scola, I don't see why they will ask for less this summer.

And if nobody is ready to give what Spurs want for Scola they can just sign him : there are no reasons to trade Scola for something that will help less Spurs than Scola himself. Ludden says in his mailbag that Spurs aren't against signing Scola.

Last year it didn't work because the Spurs didn't already have a first rounder or even a decent second rounder to work with. This year, Scola is coming off an MVP calibur season, putting up great numbers, has a reasonable buyout, and the Spurs can use one of their picks along with Scola to gain in this draft....I think it's more possible than ever.

I love the last thing you quoted though. It makes it seem like the Spurs FO is actually impressed and anxious to see what Scola could bring to the table. I still think it's best for the Spurs to bring him over, especially when the draft is deep enough to get some possible key future pieces without having to trade up...

mardigan
03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/sethhoward/300243.jpg

This is our man,SEC player of the year, WHAT!

Phenomanul
03-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Last year it didn't work because the Spurs didn't already have a first rounder or even a decent second rounder to work with. This year, Scola is coming off an MVP calibur season, putting up great numbers, has a reasonable buyout, and the Spurs can use one of their picks along with Scola to gain in this draft....I think it's more possible than ever.

I love the last thing you quoted though. It makes it seem like the Spurs FO is actually impressed and anxious to see what Scola could bring to the table. I still think it's best for the Spurs to bring him over, especially when the draft is deep enough to get some possible key future pieces without having to trade up...

Good take. :tu

Mr. Body
03-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Did the Spurs want a pure first round pick for Scola, or to trade up/trade a future pick for him? I'm not sure they could get a first round straight up for him, but probably could trade up. If we could get someone like Corey Brewer, I'd absolutely give up Luis Scola for him.

Bruno
03-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Did the Spurs want a pure first round pick for Scola, or to trade up/trade a future pick for him? I'm not sure they could get a first round straight up for him, but probably could trade up. If we could get someone like Corey Brewer, I'd absolutely give up Luis Scola for him.

An extract of an article from last July :

Several executives from other NBA teams said the Spurs tried to use Scola's rights to move into the first round of last week's draft. They also have sought to secure a future first-round pick for him.

I don't think Spurs will only try to trade Scola for a first round pick but they have decided that his value for Spurs was a first round pick. That is to say :
- They won't trade him for a second round.
- They won't package with their first round pick for a trade like 28th + Scola for 25th. If they use Scola to move up, it's to get a mid first round pick.
- They won't trade him for a marginal vet whose trade value is a couple of second round picks.

And as I said before Spurs aren't at all in a weakness situation: if no team is ready to give what Spurs wants for Scola, Spurs can just sign him. Spurs would be in a weaker situation if they weren't ready at all to give a contract to Scola and Ludden says it's not the case.

AFBlue
03-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Well last year the Spurs only had a late second rounder, so that means the Spurs had little to bargain with if the first round team didn't want to sacrafice a first rounder (the 57th pick is hardly a consellation prize). I agree with Bruno that the Spurs will clearly not "give" a player away (as we saw with the Spurs retaining Butler/Beno at the deadline instead of dealing for scraps), so I think Scola is only packaged if it is to get into the teens...maybe lottery.

Phenomanul
03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Chris Daniels

Senior: Texas A&M Corpus Christi

6'-11'' Center with a soft touch around the basket.

Hometown: San Antonio

mountainballer
03-21-2007, 04:02 AM
I fear there are some wrong assumptions regarding the Scola situation going around.
it was not the buyout in the first place, that hindered the Scola signing last summer.
the information was, that the buyout would have been 3.5 million and Scola's agent had negotiated a deferred payment for 3 years.
the other information was, that Scola was demanding a 3 years 9-10 million $ contract, which the Spurs just didn't want to give.
so, even if the buyout is further reduced, does anyone see that Scola reduces his asking price? why should he?
as it was mentioned, he is playing better than ever in the Euroleague this year (despite being injured in the first weeks).
his best comparison (Garbajosa) is doing quite well for a rookie and there has never been a doubt that Scola's potential is higher. (and Scola is almost 3 years younger). Garbajosa got more than Scola was asking and I didn't hear Colangelo being criticized for giving him that contract lately.
(btw. Scola is currently making 1.9 million $ after taxes + bonuses and it was reported, that he would get quite more if he stayed with Tau)
anyhow.
we learned that Luis is a proud man, sometimes quite quick-tempered and for sure not devoted and thankfull that someone from NBA is just talking to him.
whatever happened in fact last summer (we will never know), fact is that Scola was more than just upset about the Spurs organisation and that he really really hates RC. (calling him almost every spanish cussword in an interview that is banned from board)

so a lot does have to change, if they want to ever get back on the table.
I do hope that Manu and especially Oberto (who is highly respected by his Argentinian teammates and a friend of Scola) will help to cool down the situation and convince Scola that the Spurs do have a great team and a great coach, but just a nearsighted bookkeeper.
for sure the Spurs would have to do the first step, if they really plan to try again to sign him. this "wait for our call because you are plan C or D, if A and B fail", or the position: "we own your rights, so we just offer you half of what other teams would give you" will lead to the same result like last summer.
like it or not, this is the going-in position. the buy-out is just a minor matter in this regard.
if Spurs really want to get him, show him the money. he was just asking for half of what the average salary of a NBA player is.
that's not exactly greedy, as some on this board are constantly repeating.
(the "prove yourself first" hardliners)
every signing is a risk for a team. about Scola one thing can be assumed for sure: he won't show up out of shape and he will work his ass off every second he is playing.

conclusion: I would still love to see Scola with this team and do hope the situation can be solved somehow. if the positions are to far apart, they should of course try to trade his rights, but not for future picks or a better pick this year (I think this wouldn't get the value back), they should use it to sweeten a package in a trade scenario. in this years draft teams will be very cautious to trade their picks, so a trade for a player looks more promissing IMO.
Bulls come to mind once again. they for sure won't offer their pick, even if it doesn't look as valueable as at the start of the season.
but they might think of trading a player. Sefolosha, Khryapa and Duhon would be great options for us.
Rumors say that they are anything but happy with Tyrus. (not because of his play, but because of his behavior. he is describet as angry, defiant, condescending and arrogant). so Tyrus would be not exactly the charakter Spurs usually look for.
the other team might be the Nets. but they won't do anything till they have learned what Carter is going to do. Antoine Wright would be a player the Spurs could really use.

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Looks like Dukie Josh McRoberts, the highly celebrated but underacheiving forward, will be in the 2007 draft. Intriguing tools, but aggravating inconsistency. I think he'll illicit Charlie Villaunueva comparisons (not attitude, but lack of consistency) and will still go in the mid-first. It doesn't directly affect the Spurs draft, but another name in the hat is always good...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2808295

DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke forward Josh McRoberts declared himself eligible for the NBA draft Thursday.

"I am extremely grateful for the opportunities that I have had here at Duke," McRoberts said. "This was a difficult decision, but I feel it is the best one for me and my family at this point in time. I will miss Duke, the coaching staff and my teammates, but it has always been goal of mine to play in the NBA."

Several online draft projections have McRoberts, one of two sophomore team captains for Duke, as an early- to mid-first-round pick. The draft is June 28 in New York.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski said he supports McRoberts' decision to turn pro.

"In the past couple of days, I've had the opportunity to meet with Josh and his mother," Krzyzewski said. "Josh has been a terrific player for us for the past two years, and he will be even better in the future as a professional. Based on our information, it is time for him to move on to the next level, and we are ready to help him in any and every way during this process."

McRoberts averaged 13 points and a team-leading 7.9 rebounds for the Blue Devils (22-11).

It was not immediately clear whether he has hired an agent. Underclassmen who do not sign with agents have until June 18 to withdraw from the draft and return to school.

McRoberts was second on the team with 114 assists and was the only player in the nation to average at least 10.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 3.5 assists.

He scored a career-high 22 points in his final game at Duke, a 79-77 loss to Virginia Commonwealth in the first round of the NCAA tournament. That was the Blue Devils' fourth straight loss to end the season.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Fro what Ive heard a lot of GMs think he will do better in the pro style game. I personally think he sucks and have always thought he sucked, but your right, the more guys that declare, the better our chances are of getting a player that can immediately contribute

Big P
03-22-2007, 03:12 PM
No way the Spurs could get Tyrus Thomas for Scola. There was an article a couple of days ago about the Bulls starting TT in place of PJ. I dont think they are that down on him if they are(have?) given him the starting job. IMO getting Sefelosha is probably little more likely than getting TT. Khrypa & Duhon would seem like a good package for Scola & say Beno. Not sure if the Spurs would pull the trigger, but that seems like a more reasonable package for Scola. I also dont think that Scola would bring a lottery pick, maybe the late teens early 20's, but I think a lottery pick is a bit much for Scola.

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
No way the Spurs could get Tyrus Thomas for Scola. There was an article a couple of days ago about the Bulls starting TT in place of PJ. I dont think they are that down on him if they are(have?) given him the starting job. IMO getting Sefelosha is probably little more likely than getting TT. Khrypa & Duhon would seem like a good package for Scola & say Beno. Not sure if the Spurs would pull the trigger, but that seems like a more reasonable package for Scola. I also dont think that Scola would bring a lottery pick, maybe the late teens early 20's, but I think a lottery pick is a bit much for Scola.

Bulls are keeping all of their guys until they can make a run this summer at a guy like Pau Gasol, Jermaine O'Neal, or Kevin Garnett. They didn't pull the trigger on a deal before the deadline under a "pressure-cooker" situation because they knew they could probably get the best deal in the off-season. The Bulls have enough assets to deal for one of the aformentioned three without giving up Deng....if they do, count on Sefolosha and/or Thomas being a part of that.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 03:16 PM

But packaging Scola plus our 1st this year could definately move us up into the mid teens

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 03:22 PM
But packaging Scola plus our 1st this year could definately move us up into the mid teens

Even though a "Spurs source" (which is better than pure speculation) said they fielded calls about Scola around the deadline and that the chatter would get louder around draft day, I think he's flying under the radar right now and it's really tough to say what his value will be to other teams.

My guess is that some teams who haven't paid much attention wouldn't even offer a second rounder, while others with an eye on Euroleague and a need at the position might be willing to give up close to what you're thinking. Let's just hope for the Spurs FO sake, if they are able to trade up to the lottery or late teens they can grab a real difference-maker (Brewer/Green/Thornton).

I still have my doubts, but as we get closer to the draft I might change my mind.

Mr. Body
03-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Khrypa & Duhon would seem like a good package for Scola & say Beno. Not sure if the Spurs would pull the trigger, but that seems like a more reasonable package for Scola.

That would be throwing Scola away, IMO. Better sign Scola than give him for sub-starters like those.

Big P
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Looking at the projected draft order, picks #15, 16, 17 & 18 all belong to teams with a bunch of young guys already. They would probably be looking for some type of vet or experienced player in return. Right now those picks belong to Atlanta, NJ, Golden State & the Sixers. All of those teams would make good trading partners IMO, 3 teams are in the east & Nelly with the Warriors would deal with Pop. I dont know if Scola plus Beno plus our first rounder could get us that high, but that should be somewhere around his trade value. If Scola cant move us up 8 to 10 spots in the draft, then I say keep him & try to package him for a package like the afformentioned Khrypa & Duhon.

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
That would be throwing Scola away, IMO. Better sign Scola than give him for sub-starters like those.

Agreed.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 03:40 PM
For sure agree, Scola would contribute far more than those guys

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Looking at the projected draft order, picks #15, 16, 17 & 18 all belong to teams with a bunch of young guys already. They would probably be looking for some type of vet or experienced player in return. Right now those picks belong to Atlanta, NJ, Golden State & the Sixers. All of those teams would make good trading partners IMO, 3 teams are in the east & Nelly with the Warriors would deal with Pop. I dont know if Scola plus Beno plus our first rounder could get us that high, but that should be somewhere around his trade value. If Scola cant move us up 8 to 10 spots in the draft, then I say keep him & try to package him for a package like the afformentioned Khrypa & Duhon.

Atlanta needs a point guard in the worst way and to get a guy like Law, Lawson, or Augustin they'll have to keep that pick. Plus, the last good thing Billy Knight did for his team was get Zaza for under $5M and even that was a risk.

The Warriors run far too much and far too fast to have use for a guy like Scola. I'm sure they'd be the one to take a shot at McRoberts if he falls that far...he's a better-passing Troy Murphy.

The other two teams you mentioned are intriguing though:

The Sixers left a gaping hole at PF when they let Webber go for nothing. Joe Smith's contract is up and he's more of a shooter than a low-post guy anyway, and Stephen Hunter just flat-out isn't that good....he was made to look better by the Suns' fast pace.

The Nets are disgustingly thin on the frontline and could use some serious help. But I think the Nets will again look to unload Kidd if they can get some serious offers for him this summer (I would say Hawks, but Knight never does anything right).

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
The main reason I think Scola doesn't get traded though....

There are a TON of PF prospects in this draft. If the Spurs made Scola available in a year that had few prospects to choose from, his value would certainly be higher.

As of right now, I just think he's more valuable to the Spurs on their team and I think it'll flesh itself out that way...

mardigan
03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
The main reason I think Scola doesn't get traded though....

There are a TON of PF prospects in this draft. If the Spurs made Scola available in a year that had few prospects to choose from, his value would certainly be higher.

As of right now, I just think he's more valuable to the Spurs on their team and I think it'll flesh itself out that way...
Yea but Olympic experience plus Euro league dominance>most of the college pfs coming out this year

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Scola Update:

8pts (4/7 shooting) 5rebs, 1ast in 18 minutes in a 93 -75 blowout of Pau Orthez.

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Tiago Splitter has also played well of late and that should improve his draft stock, despite questions about his potential buyout.

His line today:

14pts (6/8 shooting, 2/6 FT), 4rebs in 19mins

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 04:10 PM
and for good measure...

Ian Mahinmi had 4pts and 2rebs in 15 minutes

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Yea but Olympic experience plus Euro league dominance>most of the college pfs coming out this year

That's a good theory, here's another one....

"Out of sight, Out of mind"

I know he's tearing up the Euroleague and that there are more international scouts than ever now, but GMs are inundated with the NCAA tournament right now and saturated with American prospects.

Another theory is the "Joe Liebermann Concept"

Basically, while Scola's talent is undeniable and proven, he's the "old dog" and there are newer, younger International prospects stealing the limelight. To some GMs Scola may have lost his "luster" or "upside". Guys like Yi Jianlin, Tiago Splitter, and Nicolas Batum are the "it" international guys right now.

Could a GM be attracted to his "seasoned" play and almost prefer international guys to americans? Yes, but I'd suggest those GMs are few and far between.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Thats very true Tony, I didnt really think about it like that, he hasnt been in the limelight in some time, Im just hoping that teams will see that if the Spurs are high on this guy, and they are a great team, that maybe a lesser team could use him even more

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Thats very true Tony, I didnt really think about it like that, he hasnt been in the limelight in some time, Im just hoping that teams will see that if the Spurs are high on this guy, and they are a great team, that maybe a lesser team could use him even more

Put simply, it will be much easier than last year...but still much harder than it looks.

The Spurs have to have a team interested in Scola, that is also at a high enough spot for the Spurs to snag who they want, and is willing to drop down to the lower part of the first....this all on draft day when the window for each pick is like 5 minutes...

Bruno
03-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Scola Update:

8pts (4/7 shooting) 5rebs, 1ast in 18 minutes in a 93 -75 blowout of Pau Orthez.

Don't give too much weight at this game, it was a borderline friendly game.

About Scola :
I don't think Spurs will sign him this summer. Scola and Bonner are both average defenders/rebounders and bring the same thing : hustle and some offense (even if it's not the same kind of offense). I think Spurs will re-sign Bonner and trade Scola, likely in a package with expiring contracts for a vet.

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Don't give too much weight at this game, it was a borderline friendly game.

About Scola :
I don't think Spurs will sign him this summer. Scola and Bonner are both average defenders/rebounders and bring the same thing : hustle and some offense (even if it's not the same kind of offense). I think Spurs will re-sign Bonner and trade Scola, likely in a package with expiring contracts for a vet.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!....just kidding ;)

I do think that the difference in their offensive game does have some relevance though.

Scola is a low-post threat that can create for others while Bonner is a shooter with limited game outside of that...if you're giving me the choice there I go with Scola.

While it's possible that the Spurs re-sign Bonner (God knows they like his gritty play), it is also possible that a player with his similar skill set is available in the second round (Fazekas, Ryan Anderson (Cal), Radenovic). I'm not saying you're wrong, but not re-signing Bonner is a possibility.

AFBlue
03-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Looks like Julian Wright is staying in school for one more year. He's a sophmore with enough hours to graduate in 3 years and has maintained for quite some time that he'd be going back, so it's not that big of a shock...but he's still passing up millions.

No direct effect to the Spurs because he likely would've been a top 5 or 10 pick, but it's one less player in this draft making it less deep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2810182

Jayhawks' Wright says he will return for junior seasonBy Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Regardless of what happens in Saturday's West Regional final between No. 1 seed Kansas and No. 2 seed UCLA at HP Pavilion, Jayhawks forward Julian Wright knows one thing: he'll be back with the Jayhawks next season.

Wright, a 6-foot-9 sophomore, said he will return to Kansas for his junior season in 2007-08, even though he is considered a potential lottery pick in June's NBA draft if he forgoes his final two seasons of college eligibility.

Wright, from Chicago Heights, Ill, has averaged 12.1 points and 7.9 rebounds in 37 games.

"I made the decision before this season that I'm not thinking about [the NBA] at all," Wright said. "I'm coming back."

Wright is still considered a somewhat raw prospect with tremendous abilities.

He scored 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Kansas' 82-80 overtime upset of then-No. 2 Florida on Nov. 25, a game in which Wright dominated Gators forwards Al Horford and Joakim Noah, another pair of potential NBA lottery picks.

But Wright also has been plagued by inconsistency at times during his second college season. He scored 33 points and had 12 rebounds in a 92-74 win over Missouri on Feb. 10, then scored only four points with three turnovers in a 71- 62 victory over Kansas State nine days later.

"He's just a sophomore in college," Kansas coach Bill Self said of Wright. "He's a fabulous talent, and I've said that all along. When he's playing his best, his ceiling is higher than anyone else's. But he's not a natural scorer. That's not what he wants to do. So sometimes he can kind of give the appearance of not impacting the game as much because he's not scoring points."

Wright said part of the reason he plans to stay at Kansas is he hopes to earn a bachelor's degree in communication studies in only three years. He hopes to graduate from Kansas by summer 2008. On the court, Wright said he probably won't reach his full potential for "another five years."

"The route to getting better is to stay in college," Wright said. "The NBA is more of a skills setting."

Mr. Body
03-26-2007, 09:20 AM
No direct effect to the Spurs because he likely would've been a top 5 or 10 pick, but it's one less player in this draft making it less deep.

Possibly too a team looking for a SF will look at the next guy instead of him, ensuring a Jeff Green or Corey Brewer goes higher, but he was probably going too high for that anyway and those guys will settle in the late lottery.

Bruno
03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm waiting for two things about this draft :

- The early entry list : there are a lot of underclassmen in this draft (20 are projected to be first round picks). The quality of players available for the Spurs pick will highly depend on who will enter in the draft.

- Pre-draft camp mesurement : among all SFs projected around Spurs first round pick/Bucks second round pick, only one seems to have a good size to play SF in the nba (Dominic Mcguire). It will be interesting to have measurements of players like Tucker, Almond or Bryars to see if they are big enough to play SF in nba.

mountainballer
03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Possibly too a team looking for a SF will look at the next guy instead of him, ensuring a Jeff Green or Corey Brewer goes higher, but he was probably going too high for that anyway and those guys will settle in the late lottery.

this was what I was thinking. a bit of a domino effect. it might not effect us much, but at least it also doesn't help the Spurs.

I can see why Wright goes back to school. he says that he never intended to declare this year, but if he would, his last two games possibly would have hurt his stock quite a bit. he might have slipped to no.8 or so.
next year he has a good chance to be a top 3 pick.
(about the money, there is quite some difference in guarranteed money. a no. 3 pick get 3years/9million, a no. 8 pick gets 6 million )