PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Butler finding right track with Spurs

FvckMavs
10-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Butler finding right track with Spurs
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102706.01D.BKNspurs.butler.3086c0b.html

Most of the Spurs already had left the practice floor Thursday afternoon, and Jackie Butler was ready to join them. He started to head to the locker room, then stopped abruptly and turned around.
"See that water," Butler said, pointing to the layer of sweat pooling where he had just been standing on the court. "That shows how hard I'm working."

Butler smiled. If players were judged on perspiration alone, the 21-year-old center might be All-NBA. Since coming to town six weeks before training camp, Butler has lost more than 20 pounds and dropped his body-fat content from 28 1/2 percent to close to 18.

"He's someone who has to continue to work on his conditioning," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Because he's not going to be able to do what he's got to do if his body won't allow it. But he's on the right track."

The Spurs considered Butler a work in progress when they signed him to a three-year, $7 million contract in July. Butler's production last season in New York — he averaged 5.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 13.5 minutes in 55 games — coupled with his soft hands and footwork, showed potential.

Team officials think he'll learn to take better advantage of his skills, given time and structure. Facing Miami last week, Butler ran the floor well, made a bank shot over Shaquille O'Neal and threw a nifty pass under the basket that surprised even Tim Duncan. But as good as he looked, Butler struggled the next night in Houston.

"His best years are going to be ahead of him," Popovich said. "I think most of his playing time in the initial part of the season is going to be in practice learning the system, learning what a work ethic is day in and day out and what it takes to play at this level."

To aid that process, Popovich gave Butler a DVD of Moses Malone last week. Malone's Hall of Fame career ended with the Spurs, and Popovich thinks Butler resembles the legendary big man. Butler's first high school coach said the same.

"When you look at those two guys, their bodies are real similar," Popovich said. "It sounds funny but the more weight (Butler) loses, the less body fat he has and the longer he starts looking.

"We showed him the tape and he got a big kick out of it. But I said the deal there is relentless effort. You've got to keep padding those stats like Moses did.

"You want to be a relentless rebounder, run the floor, be where the ball is all the time. Don't worry so much about scoring. You already do that."

Butler was born in 1985, so he never got to see Malone in his prime. But he said he watches the DVD "all the time."

"I love it," Butler said. "He controls everything. That's basically what I'm trying to do: be a big, physical player. Go out there and beat up on a couple of people. You know how it goes."

Like Malone, Butler turned professional without attending college. He grew up in McComb, Miss., a town of about 12,000, and was twice named the state's Mr. Basketball before attending two prep schools.

After initially committing to Mississippi State, Butler was named in an Auburn recruiting scandal. He later switched his commitment to Tennessee but decided to turn pro.

When Butler wasn't drafted, he went into the CBA and averaged 18.1 points and 10.7 rebounds in 40 games. The Knicks signed him midway through the 2004-05 season.

Butler liked playing and living in New York but was excited when his agent called to say the Spurs were interested.

"I said San An-who?" said Butler, who had to wait a week before the Knicks decided not to match the Spurs' offer. "That put a big smile on my face."

Moving to San Antonio put him closer to his mother, who lives in Houston. Moving to a winning locker room filled with established veterans also should help.

A week ago, Popovich had the entire team run extra after Butler failed to finish a suicide sprint in the allotted 18 seconds. Butler complained he had a cramp. Popovich still made the team run.

After practice was over, Michael Finley shouted for someone to put 18 seconds back on the clock. Then he made Butler and rookie Jamar Smith, who also had cost the team an extra sprint, run on their own as punishment.

The Spurs' longtime staffers couldn't recall a more open display of leadership since the days of Avery Johnson. After Butler was done, Finley told him the team needed him to progress each day and that he couldn't afford to slip behind.

"He was pumping me up through that type of stuff," Butler said. "I love when somebody pushes me."

Notebook: The Spurs waived Melvin Sanders, Charles Lee and Smith after Thursday's practice, reducing their roster to 14 players. As other teams make their final cuts, Spurs officials will see who becomes available before deciding whether to fill their final opening. The Spurs would still like to find a young, athletic swingman. ... Popovich and Johnson, Dallas' coach, both expect to give their starters decent minutes in the preseason finale tonight at the AT&T Center. The teams open the season against each other Thursday in Dallas. "How many new tricks can you actually give (away)?" said Johnson, who had the Mavericks practice Thursday afternoon at the Antioch Family Life Center and Sports Complex he helped build on the city's East Side. "We played them seven times in the playoffs and four times in the regular season."

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Good article. It looks like Jackie is dedicated to getting in shape.

ploto
10-26-2006, 11:48 PM
While it's nice that he has trimmed some fat since September, seems he should have been doing that already in June and July.

Spurs seem to have an epidemic of guys who were out of shape-- Butler, Beno, Williams, even Bonner. Don't these guys work out in the off-season.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2006, 11:53 PM
While it's nice that he has trimmed some fat since September, seems he should have been doing that already in June and July.

Spurs seem to have an epidemic of guys who were out of shape-- Butler, Beno, Williams, even Bonner. Don't these guys work out in the off-season.

I don't think Butler got here and on the Spurs program til August. He probably didn't have an offseason program before that.

Williams, I do not know why but to me, he's huge compared to how he was last season.

Bonner, I haven't seen him enough in person to know if he always looks this way or not. He looks out of shape, but is this just his normal shape?

Beno, he's probably not technically fat but he's no where close to how fit an NBA point guard needs to be.

T Park
10-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Im trying as hard as I can to keep the enthusiasm under wraps for this guy.

BUT DAMN ITS TOO HARD!!!!!

Come on Pop, let the kid learn on the fly. It worked for Stephen Jackson!!!

milkyway21
10-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Butler has lost more than 20 pounds and dropped his body-fat content from 28 1/2 percent to close to 18. yeah, some of you were right, he was fat.

"I said San An-who?" said Butler..meaning he was surprised? or he didn't hear the name before? :D

A week ago, Popovich had the entire team run extra after Butler failed to finish a suicide sprint in the allotted 18 seconds. Butler complained he had a cramp. Popovich still made the team run.

After practice was over, Michael Finley shouted for someone to put 18 seconds back on the clock. Then he made Butler and rookie Jamar Smith, who also had cost the team an extra sprint, run on their own as punishment.

The Spurs' longtime staffers couldn't recall a more open display of leadership since the days of Avery Johnson. After Butler was done, Finley told him the team needed him to progress each day and that he couldn't afford to slip behind.

"He was pumping me up through that type of stuff," Butler said. "I love when somebody pushes me."

you earn my respect for that Mike Finley. sometimes one vocal leader is needed to pump this guys up. Something tells me Finley is on the right track to keep himself busy to help this team to the playoffs and for a title. and

he couldn't afford to slip behind.-> one thing which brings us there is how the man in the middle(Butler/Oberto/Elson), can contribute to realize that goal.

ShoogarBear
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
The Spurs would still like to find a young, athletic swingman. ...
Damn, Ludden is recycling articles from 2004 . . .

SequSpur
10-27-2006, 12:13 AM

pop is not a register poster you retard.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Hopefully Butler can keep his focus and start making some contributions around the All-Star break. It would be great if he could give us 25-30 minutes by the playoffs but I'll be satisfied if he can contribute a solid 15-20 minutes out of merit and not out of necessity.

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 12:42 AM
pop is not a register poster you retard.

He's a lurker.

timvp
10-27-2006, 12:48 AM
"I think most of his playing time in the initial part of the season is going to be in practice learning the system, learning what a work ethic is day in and day out and what it takes to play at this level."

Well, there goes the hope that Butler could start right away. Guess we'll have to live with Oberto or Elson "manning" the middle.

whottt
10-27-2006, 02:50 AM
I hope the Spurs realize that the more body fat Butler drops the more likely he is to get a cramp....if he's been carrying that weight his whole life he probably is starting to cramp up and his cramp was legit.

Oh...and Moses can be hired for training and tutoring....he did it for Hakeem....and we all saw how that shit turned out.

Might be something for the Spurs to think about...then again, he's got Duncan to watch as well and Duncan is a do everything bigman on offense...still, Moses was the ultimate cleanup man of all time would be awesome if some of that rubbed off on Jackie.

Louis2
10-27-2006, 04:01 AM
fat ass butler

ATX Spur
10-27-2006, 04:08 AM
dumb ass louis

boutons_
10-27-2006, 04:18 AM
"starting to cramp up and his cramp was legit"

WTF? where do you dig this ratshit up? a pro athlete in a running game will cramp up if he loses weight?

what physiological phenomenon causes muscles to cramp up after losing weight?

Is Butler on some of kind complete, starvation fast?

Bruno
10-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Jackie is a girl's name.

ShoogarBear
10-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Oh...and Moses can be hired for training and tutoring....he did it for Hakeem....and we all saw how that shit turned out.
We want another second-rater who has to be carried by Sam Cassell?

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 08:05 AM
I give JB much respect for coming in and committing himself to the Spurs' philosophy and training program....20 pounds in 6 weeks aint easy.

And judging by this comment, I think Jackie is an impressionable young guy who wants to do well, but sometimes needs a push. I think he landed in the right spot, with a class organization full of professional, veteran players who will push him to do well. If that translates on the floor, and it should, he'll be good...real good.

Nikos
10-27-2006, 08:08 AM
I really hope Jackie develops sooner than later. The time to win is NOW -- Bowen, Horry, Manu are getting old -- Duncan has several good years left but who knows how long they will be MVP calibur -- Parker is the only one who has several years left if healthy.

I really hope Butler can contribute 25mpg by seasons end.

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 08:59 AM
I really hope Jackie develops sooner than later. The time to win is NOW -- Bowen, Horry, Manu are getting old -- Duncan has several good years left but who knows how long they will be MVP calibur -- Parker is the only one who has several years left if healthy.

I really hope Butler can contribute 25mpg by seasons end.

First of all, the Spurs are not old where it counts (Tim, Tony, and Manu) and they don't expect too much from their "other" big position, so it wouldn't be detrimental for JB to sit.

BUT I agree with you that he should play major minutes and I think he will. I think as the season moves along Pop will realize that his best move to get production from the "other" big position is to play JB alot more than he planned. If he plays major minutes it'll be because he's the best option.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
28% body fat!? WTF? Most overweight women (with boobs) don't even have that much.

That is not too outrageous. I have a friend that is 33% and he doesn't look fat, just stocky. The guy works out a lot too, he has always just carried extra weight since we were kids.

polandprzem
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Lead us Moses

boutons_
10-27-2006, 12:42 PM
33%

hmm, my playing weight, pretty damn lean (but not DRob-ripped) at 18, was 195, with a big frame.

If I were now 33% fat now, that would put me at 290 lbs., morbidly obese with morbidity right around the corner, if not already there.

However, at 290, I would be easily lost in the crowd at HEB or at any SA mall! :lol

Bruno
10-27-2006, 01:00 PM
For reference : http://www.nbadraft.net/2006campmeasurements001.asp

As you can see 28.5% is crazy and even 18% is still high.

"He's someone who has to continue to work on his conditioning,"

Butler hasn't finished with his diet : I guess something like 12% body fat should be Spurs goal.

ehz33satx
10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Jackie is a girl's name.

Tell that to Jackie's face !

AFBlue
10-27-2006, 01:08 PM
For reference : http://www.nbadraft.net/2006campmeasurements001.asp

As you can see 28.5% is crazy and even 18% is still high.

Butler hasn't finished with his diet : I guess something like 12% body fat should be Spurs goal.

I dunno, wouldn't 12% put him at like 230? I haven't seen much of him, but I know he uses his weight well in the low post.

I'd be interested to see what Shaq's body fat % is now and what it was at the peak of his career.

Personally I think JB would be best at around 250, whatever body fat % that is.

Bruno
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
I dunno, wouldn't 12% put him at like 230?

I don't think he was at 260 lbs when his body fat was 28.5%, he should be heavier.

Solid D
10-27-2006, 01:43 PM
:lmao

yeah, thats sorta what i was thinkin. I am 205 lbs now and 8.5% body fat. I cant imagine having another 24.5% of my body being fat.

Stay away from San Antonio and LazyBoys and you may be safe. :lol

itzsoweezee
10-27-2006, 02:43 PM
this is proof that all of you saying he's not fat are/were wrong. 28% body fat is FAT. hell, 18% body fat is still FAT for a man.

Solid D
10-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Jackie was overweight coming in to camp...no doubt.

freemeat
10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
About what time of the season, if at all, do you guys think it would be a good idea to pick up JB for a fantasy team? I'm thinking maybe as early as Christmas.

If he's willing to stay this dedicated and he gets support from guys like Finley this way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 15ppg, 10rpg for the second half of the season. Any thoughts?

Mr. Body
10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Knowing nothing of fantasy basketball, I'd say it's very unlikely Butler gets 15/10 this year. I'm hoping for 10/5 or 10/6.

whottt
10-27-2006, 03:40 PM
About what time of the season, if at all, do you guys think it would be a good idea to pick up JB for a fantasy team? I'm thinking maybe as early as Christmas.

If he's willing to stay this dedicated and he gets support from guys like Finley this way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 15ppg, 10rpg for the second half of the season. Any thoughts?

IF you are talking #1 C, I'd do it right after Duncan retires and not before...being the Spurs C just about completely kills offensive stats for non HOF'ers.

T Park
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
15 and 10???

I mean can we objectively and honestly expect that!?!?!

I mean, is the kid THAT good?

I say kid because IM older than him, talk about depressing :depressed

ShoogarBear
10-27-2006, 04:10 PM
How many 15 and 10 centers are there in the league? Yao and maybe Shaq. Amare if you want to count him as a center and he's really healthy.

Not realistic.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Some posters here are confusing body fat percentage with body mass index. Body mass index is a simple calculation from weight and height (see here (http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/index.htm)). Body fat percentage has to be measured, using a number of techniques (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage), and cannot be directly calculated from weight and height.

mavs>spurs2
10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I think if he fits in right, Butler can average 10 and 8 this season, or at the very least be a solid backup. In a few more years he could develop into one of the best centers in the league, although there aren't too many good ones left.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I am going to be realistic and only hope the kid learns how to rebound--how to give every single inch and fiber of his being to get every single rebound in his area offensive and defensive.

If he gives us that, he will fit right in.

Zunni
10-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Dropping body fat % doesn't mean that you have to lose much weight. Lifting and cardio, combined, will add muscle at the same time you're burning off fat. If he lost 20# and went from 28.5% to 18, I'll bet he lost 30# of fat and added 10# of muscle.

Russ
10-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Someone needs to tell Jackie Butler that he will leave millions $$$$$ on the table unless he shapes up.

Just give him a "whatever happened to" speech about Stanley Roberts, "Hot Plate" Williams and Oliver Miller. They all had great upside until they ate their way out of the league.

Unfortunately, the number of players who conquered weight problems in the NBA is pretty slim (and Barkley doesn't count -- he's just an exception).

wildbill2u
10-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I never tried to find out my body fat percentage. So I checked out the link abouve and then went to one of the following links, looking for a quick way to find out on the net. at this site http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/pi.shtml I found a indicator where you fill in blanks.

Funny thing. It gave me two different calculations. On one it said I had 33% Body fat and the other was 18%. I'm gonna go to bed tonight dreaming about the second reading and my date with Eva when Tony's out of town. :-)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-28-2006, 12:19 AM

Remeber that Jax hardly played his first season here - it was his second when he really started flying.

I love the indications that we get of Butler's attitude in this article - he's keen to be a part of this team, he gets a kick from the motivation the veterans around him are feeding to him - and then Michael Finley leading like that. Good, good signs for the kid and the team this year. :clap

mattyc
10-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Terrific read, especially regarding Fin. He's definitely a guy we need around.