PDA

View Full Version : Mutombo confronts fan over alleged racial slurs

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2006, 12:40 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo got into it with a fan who allegedly yelled racist slurs at him in the third quarter of the Rockets' preseason loss to the Orlando Magic on Thursday night.

Mutombo yelled at the man and gestured back. The fan was ejected. No action was taken against Mutombo.

"I am not going to take that. He was insulting my race, my family, my integrity. For him to call me a monkey ... that should not happen today," Mutombo said.

"If I get fined, I will go straight into the stands the next time."

Magic spokesman Joel Glass said the matter was turned over to NBA security.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2640085

trueD
10-27-2006, 12:55 AM
"If I get fined, I will go straight into the stands the next time."Ouchie Wowie, ewwwwwwwww. Yikes!

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Artest must have been sharing ideas with him!!!

Good for Mutumbo though.(other than the whole going into the stands thought) Players get heckled all the damn time, and many fans go way overboard to where it becomes a personal attack.

trueD
10-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Oh, I didn't want to say the name ARTEST but it's obvious he has been influencial. :lol

I've been moving down lower to see the game at Arco over the past couple of years, and it amazes me what some people say. Once, during a blowout at the end of the 4th with Lakers, two guys were yelling "GO TO COLLEGE" over and over again to Kobe whle he was at the line. It was kind of embarrassing, and I'm a passionate Kobe hater.

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2006, 01:06 AM
no one wants to sex mutombo

THE SIXTH MAN
10-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Good for Mutumbo though.(other than the whole going into the stands thought) Players get heckled all the damn time, and many fans go way overboard to where it becomes a personal attack.
:tu

ponky
10-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Oh, I didn't want to say the name ARTEST but it's obvious he has been influencial. :lol

I've been moving down lower to see the game at Arco over the past couple of years, and it amazes me what some people say. Once, during a blowout at the end of the 4th with Lakers, two guys were yelling "GO TO COLLEGE" over and over again to Kobe whle he was at the line. It was kind of embarrassing, and I'm a passionate Kobe hater.

Yup, when I was at a Spurs/Mavs game in San Antonio couple of years back, some guy kept calling Najera a wetback.

angel_luv
10-27-2006, 07:33 AM
The fan was wrong and I have no problem with security ejecting him.

However I don't agree with Mutombo yelling and gesturing back. I feel he or his coach should have alerted an usher and/ or security and let them handle the matter.

Behrooz24
10-27-2006, 09:58 AM

However I don't agree with Mutombo yelling and gesturing back. I feel he or his coach should have alerted an usher and/ or security and let them handle the matter.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone can understand what Tombo says :spin

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-27-2006, 10:14 AM

Well, though he could have been more composed, I think yelling back and gesturing is forgiveable. Better than he running up in the stands. I mean, some fans think they can get away with anything, and it's just wrong for them to assume they have a right to denigrate the players. There is a line between heckling and dehumanizing them. It's natural to defend yourself as a person, and given Mutombo's background I can see why he would take it as a personal offense, having to hear that crap from some ignorant fucktard.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Don't worry, I don't think anyone can understand what Tombo says :spin
Cookie Monster can.

CavsSuperFan
10-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Cookie Monster Never Gets Any Respect... :depressed
http://www.sme.sk/vydania/20060816/photo/17132d.jpg

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Just because a fan buys a ticket doesn't give him or her free reign. You want to call out the player for their performance that is one thing but getting personal or racial is completely out of line. Its like last year in Dallas, I know a 12 year old girl who got spit on just for wearing a Spurs t-shirt. Fans like that should be banned.

ponky
10-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Well, though he could have been more composed, I think yelling back and gesturing is forgiveable. Better than he running up in the stands. I mean, some fans think they can get away with anything, and it's just wrong for them to assume they have a right to denigrate the players. There is a line between heckling and dehumanizing them. It's natural to defend yourself as a person, and given Mutombo's background I can see why he would take it as a personal offense, having to hear that crap from some ignorant fucktard.

I need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid cuz I agree with a Spurs fan, 100%! :drunk

mikejones99
10-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Players should be allowed to go into stands and beat the hell out of dumb fans just like in the Palace.

mavs>spurs2
10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Only time going into the stands is understandable is a situation like what happened to Antonio Davis. If someone is giving a wife or family member trouble in the stands, I would go up there too.

Trainwreck2100
10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Wasn't his wife the one that started shit?

ponky
10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Wasn't his wife the one that started shit?

Nobody messes with the family.

MrChug
10-28-2006, 11:24 AM
"If I get fined, I will go straight into the stands the next time."

:lol This entire statement is just the beginning. You watch: IF Mutombo is fined, this statement will come back to haunt him. You don't think for a second that the N word and "monkey" and everything that comes along with it is going to flow like a river everytime he touches the ball (in a visiting city) if that's his "threat"?? That's just stupid.
He opened himself up to AN ETERNITY of taunts. What's he gonna do?? GO INTO THE STANDS!?!? Then what? Get stopped 3 steps onto the stairs and get ejected? Or even better, make it TO the heckler and wag his finger and curse THEN get ejected and fined? OR EVEN BETTER, punch, or grab, or even touch said fan then lose millions in the lawsuit, AND GET EJECTED, SUSPENDED, AAANNNNNDDDDD FINED??!!?! You should really think before you speak. There's consequences to tough talk. :clap

...I can't wait.

angel_luv
10-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Well, though he could have been more composed, I think yelling back and gesturing is forgiveable.

While I agree that the scene made was not bad in comparision to others, it was avoidable. To me, that is what makes it so unfortunate that the incident escalated.

Mutombo has been in the league long enough to know that security members are the only ones who can do anything about the idiots in the stands.

All Mutombo accomplished by fighting with the fan was make himself look the fool as well.

Forgivable, yes. But pretty stupid also.

phyzik
10-28-2006, 01:09 PM
:lol This entire statement is just the beginning. You watch: IF Mutombo is fined, this statement will come back to haunt him. You don't think for a second that the N word and "monkey" and everything that comes along with it is going to flow like a river everytime he touches the ball if that's his "threat"?? That's just stupid.
He opened himself up to AN ETERNITY of taunts. What's he gonna do?? GO INTO THE STANDS!?!? Then what? Get stopped 3 steps onto the stairs and get ejected? Or even better, make it TO the heckler and wag his finger and curse THEN get ejected and fined? OR EVEN BETTER, punch, or grab, or even touch said fan then lose millions in the lawsuit, AND GET EJECTED, SUSPENDED, AAANNNNNDDDDD FINED??!!?! You should really think before you speak. There's consequences to tough talk. :clap

...I can't wait.

Thats what I was thinking.

ATX Spur
10-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Cookie Monster can.
:lmao

sa_butta
10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Heckler banned for season after alleged racial slur

The NBA and the Orlando Magic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=orl) on Monday banned for the season the fan whose alleged racial slur incited Houston Rockets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=hou) center Dikembe Mutombo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=425) at a preseason game last week.

Season-ticket holder Hooman Hamzehloui allegedly called Mutombo a "monkey" Thursday in the third quarter of the Rockets-Magic game. Mutombo yelled back at Hamzehloui and gestured from the court.

Hamzehloui was ejected from the game. The league said Hamzehloui is also barred from attending games at any NBA arena this season. Orlando said it will refund his season-ticket payment.

"I will not say that I am happy about it," Mutombo told Fox 26 in Houston. "It is out of my hands. I have done my job. I have forgiven him. Whatever the commissioner and the league does, that's not my area."

According to a report in the Orlando Sentinel, Hamzehloui, sent the Rockets center a letter of apology. Hamzehloui was contacted late Sunday by the newspaper and said he didn't know "using the word 'monkey' was bad."

"I would like to take a moment of your time to offer a complete and unconditional apology for my poor behavior, and in particular, my poor choice of words last Thursday night while attending the Houston-Orlando basketball game," the letter reads.

"I am by no means a racist, and if you only knew me better you would never begin to have those thoughts. What I am guilty of is poor judgment in the use of words while doing what I do to many of the visiting team's players, 'heckle them.'"

Mutombo said after the game he would go into the stands next time even if he got fined for it.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said no action was taken against Mutombo and the matter was closed.

Hamzehloui also wrote that he would not attend another Magic game until Mutombo gives the team his approval and that he would donate $5,000 to a charity of Mutombo's choice.

Hamzehloui also wrote that he wished to apologize in person. "That meant a lot to me," Mutombo told Fox 26 of the apology letter, but added that Hamzehloui's offer to personally apologize was not necessary. "I don't need that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2643392

mikejones99
10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Antonio Davis needs a divorce.

ALVAREZ6
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Mutombo should have gone up into the stands and choke slammed the bitch with his long ass arms.

sa_butta
10-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Mutombo should have gone up into the stands and choke slammed the bitch with his long ass arms.:nope :madrun is what he actually did.:lol

Leetonidas
10-30-2006, 09:07 PM
no one wants to sex mutombo

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

LilMissSPURfect
10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Mutombo should have gone up into the stands and choke slammed the bitch with his long ass arms.

:downspin: :downspin: :dizzy

composure....

It's what MEN with RINGS preach!

nkdlunch
10-31-2006, 11:07 AM
:lol This entire statement is just the beginning. You watch: IF Mutombo is fined, this statement will come back to haunt him. You don't think for a second that the N word and "monkey" and everything that comes along with it is going to flow like a river everytime he touches the ball (in a visiting city) if that's his "threat"?? That's just stupid.

...I can't wait.

nope, the NBA is making sure this doesn't happen again. It will ban any other fan that does this, beleive me they will. So I doubt this taunting will happen again.

T Park
10-31-2006, 01:44 PM

I really don't think youd feel the same way if someone was hurling racial slurs at YOU Angel.

angel_luv
10-31-2006, 07:29 PM
I really don't think youd feel the same way if someone was hurling racial slurs at YOU Angel.

Yes I would.

A person who is that ignorant is not worth my getting upset over or even acknowleding.

Bad enough said person is rude. I don't need to be a jerk along with him/her.

Actually, I would have the hardest time controlling myself if someone were to insult a person I love.
I really don't care what they say about me.

Holmes_Fans
10-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Ha, I think this is the guy that was banned.
http://www.mastersrealtyorlando.com/team/team_hh.cfm

Behrooz24
10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Ha, I think this is the guy that was banned.
http://www.mastersrealtyorlando.com/team/team_hh.cfm

[email protected]
:toast