PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have had on your team?

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Rod Smith or Michael Irvin

Career Stats

Rod Smith
Gm Rec Yards Y/R TD
166 819 11082 13.5 66

Michael Irvin
Gm Rec Yards Y/R TD
159 750 11904 15.9 65

Rings - Irvin 3, Smith 2 (and counting)

Arrests Irvin 3 (and counting), Smith 0

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
When looking at the stats, you have to remember that Rod Smith was an undrafted rookie. He didn't start his first games until his 3rd season. He was a Broncos practice squad player his first year, and the 3rd or 4th WR his 2nd. Michael Irvin was the man from day one. The stats are much closer than their reputations would lead you to believe.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I know I will be called a "homer" because you can't say a positive comment about anything concerning the team you root for without being called one but I choose Irvin.

Also unlike most here, because I chose one player, doesn't mean I think the other one sucks. Smith, IMO, is a hall of famer as well.

Arrests shouldn't be brought up in a objective discussion of talent.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Irvin shouldn't be a hall of famer.

Fillmoe
10-27-2006, 10:50 AM
jerry rice

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Irvin shouldn't be a hall of famer.

in your opinion....doesn't make it so.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 10:51 AM
wrong thread

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 10:55 AM
in your opinion....doesn't make it so.
yeah, the fact that he hasn't been voted in yet makes it so.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 10:57 AM
no it doesn't. That means he isn't in...not that he shouldn't be. He can still get in. You said shouldn't.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Well, looks like the HOF voters agree with me that Irvin shouldn't be in the hall. His numbers aren't even that overwhelming.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:00 AM
even those that voted for him?

My point still stands...he still could be elected.

johnsmith
10-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Rod Smith should be in the hall of fame when all is said and done. An undrafted rookie, works his way from the practice squad and becomes this. He's a leader, he's composed, he's not flashy (so much so that it probably hurts his national reputation), he's a philanthropist, and he wins games.

Fuck, dude was even on Oprah.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I agree.....I guess nobody sees what I type...:)

Also unlike most here, because I chose one player, doesn't mean I think the other one sucks. Smith, IMO, is a hall of famer as well.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Put Rod Smith in a Lamborghini, a couple of strippers, and big mink coat and do you have one of the great WR's of all time? Cowboys fans seem to think so.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
I agree.....I guess nobody sees what I type...:)
I didn't disagree with that. I disagreed with you thinking that Michael Irvin is hall of fame worthy.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Put Rod Smith in a Lamborghini, a couple of strippers, and big mink coat and do you have one of the great WR's of all time? Cowboys fans seem to think so.

nice ignorant blanket statement.

because all Cowboys fans think alike right? :rolleyes

I get you disagree with me and that's cool. That is what makes message boards fun. Doesn't make you right and me wrong though...or vice versa.

Besides...this isn't about the Hall of Fame...its about who you prefer to have on your team. I think we have both made our choices. For either of us to try and change the others mind would be wrong.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
*Edit*

Put Rod Smith in a Lamborghini, a couple of strippers, and big mink coat and do you have one of the great WR's of all time? Many Cowboys fans seem to think so.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Better. :)

johnsmith
10-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Samikeyp is my kind of sports fan.......a realistic one.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:11 AM
someone's got to be! :)

johnsmith
10-27-2006, 11:14 AM
someone's got to be! :)

I agree. I think of myself as a realistic sports fan as well. I drink the kool aid more often then not in regards to the Broncos though. So I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Fillmoe
10-27-2006, 11:14 AM
The Truth you forgot a ounce of cocaine in that sentence above

johnsmith
10-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Having said all of that, why do you suppose there is still so much debate in regards to Rod Smith's hall of fame chances? His numbers are there, he's won super bowls, played in pro bowls, etc........what do you suppose the logic is?

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't know....to me, its seems pretty open and shut that he should go in.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 12:12 PM
The Truth you forgot a ounce of cocaine in that sentence above
oops.

BUMP
10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Irvin is a better leader on the field. his nuts dont shrink in pressure situations. he wants the ball even more

johnsmith
10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Irvin is a better leader on the field. his nuts dont shrink in pressure situations. he wants the ball even more

I know you aren't implying that Rod Smith chokes under pressure because he doesn't. Furthermore, how does one know if one NFL WR is more of an on the field leader then the other?

Horry For 3!
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
After I read the first few posts of this thread, all Truth is tryin to do is diss Irvin as player and person. What a pathetic display.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Irvin averaged 16 yards per catch. Not a Hall-of-Famer, my rear end.

It's one thing to pimp your guy and say that he's a great player; it's something else to leave behind all objectivity and make a ridiculous argument in the name of pimping your guy.

Irvin wasn't a first ballot Hall-of-Famer. There are plenty of enshrinees who weren't first ballot Hall-of-Famers. That doesn't mean they aren't Hall-of-Famers; it just means that they had to wait a couple of years. Besides, the voting rules for the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame are borderline ridiculous. As it stands, there must be 3 enshrinees in any given year, and there can be no more than 6 enshrinees in any given year. The rules create backlogs of players and severely limit the number of first-ballot Hall-of-Famers.

In any event, a Hall-of-Famer is a Hall-of-Famer is a Hall-of-Famer. It's beyond ridiculous to say that Irvin won't get in and more ridiculous still to claim that he doesn't belong there.

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I have no problem with someone claiming someone is non-hall worthy due to numbers....but when you do it solely because of the team he was on...that is ignorance.

johnsmith
10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Irvin averaged 16 yards per catch. Not a Hall-of-Famer, my rear end.

It's one thing to pimp your guy and say that he's a great player; it's something else to leave behind all objectivity and make a ridiculous argument in the name of pimping your guy.

Irvin wasn't a first ballot Hall-of-Famer. There are plenty of enshrinees who weren't first ballot Hall-of-Famers. That doesn't mean they aren't Hall-of-Famers; it just means that they had to wait a couple of years. Besides, the voting rules for the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame are borderline ridiculous. As it stands, there must be 3 enshrinees in any given year, and there can be no more than 6 enshrinees in any given year. The rules create backlogs of players and severely limit the number of first-ballot Hall-of-Famers.

In any event, a Hall-of-Famer is a Hall-of-Famer is a Hall-of-Famer. It's beyond ridiculous to say that Irvin won't get in and more ridiculous still to claim that he doesn't belong there.

Agreed. However, I sort of like the way they do the NFL hall, it makes it a little more prestigious of a group, in my opinion. Personally, I'd take either of these two guys and if given the choice, I'd flip a coin for the two of them.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I think the HOF has no set guidelines for electing WRs. Art Monk, Bob Hayes, Andre Reed, Irving Fryar, Drew Pearson and in the next few years Cris Carter, Jimmy Smith and Tim Brown.

It's going to be really tough for them to get in, as there are a lot of great WRs not in the Hall.

TheTruth
10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
That is fucking stupid. Rod Smith is the ultimate leader. Nuts shrinking up in pressure situations? How about an 80 yard TD in the super bowl?!?!

samikeyp
10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah...I have to disagree about Rod Smith...the dude has been nothing but a leader.

Cheese
10-27-2006, 09:36 PM
When looking at the stats, you have to remember that Rod Smith was an undrafted rookie. He didn't start his first games until his 3rd season. He was a Broncos practice squad player his first year, and the 3rd or 4th WR his 2nd. Michael Irvin was the man from day one. The stats are much closer than their reputations would lead you to believe.
Could be pretty interesting.

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I think the HOF has no set guidelines for electing WRs. Art Monk, Bob Hayes, Andre Reed, Irving Fryar, Drew Pearson and in the next few years Cris Carter, Jimmy Smith and Tim Brown.

It's going to be really tough for them to get in, as there are a lot of great WRs not in the Hall.

Yep, I agree with this one.

Pistons < Spurs
10-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I'd have to take Irvin over Smith. And if we're just talking about on the field skills and performances, and not the extra curricular activities of Irvin...I don't even think it's a close argument.

Irvin was a playmaker. Smith made plays. In the Bronco glory days, I'd actually say that Ed Mccafrey was more of a playmaker than Smith.

Opposing defenses game planned to stop Irvin and Emmitt. Whereas Denver found teams looking to stop Terrell Davis and Elway.

I love Rod Smith. As a Chiefs fan, I've had to see him twice a year since forever. He's a gamer. He's class. He's the poor mans Marvin Harrison. But he's not better than Irvin. Not even close.

Something that really hasn't been brought up to my suprise is that Rod had Elway. That IMO is a huge advantage for a WR. Hell Elway has almost 20,000 more throwing yards than Aikman and also had 140 more TD's. A WR has a better chance of putting up numbers in a Elway run offense as opposed to a Aikman run offense. Emmitt stole too much of the action for Irvin to put up even better numbers.

Could you imagine how ridiculous Irvin would have been if he played in Denver with Elway???

Rod Smith or Michael Irvin

Career Stats

Rod Smith
Gm Rec Yards Y/R TD
166 819 11082 13.5 66

Michael Irvin
Gm Rec Yards Y/R TD
159 750 11904 15.9 65

Rings - Irvin 3, Smith 2 (and counting)

Arrests Irvin 3 (and counting), Smith 0

And according to ESPN, games played for Smith = 173 not 166