PDA

View Full Version : Feel safer with Bush?

spurster
11-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Do I feel safer with Bush in office? No, because

9/11 happened on his watch.

OBL escaped from his Afghanistan hideout.

International law (Geneva Conventions) was circumvented to abuse/torture prisoners of war and to hold them indefinitely with no rights.

National law was circumvented to hold Americans indefinitely with no rights.

There are many more terrorists in Iraq now than pre-invasion.

Dangerous explosives in Iraq were allowed to be taken by anybody.

Our military is overextended.

Iran and North Korea continue with their nuclear programs.

Israeli settlements were accepted for the first time.

Nothing has been done to reduce our dependence on Middle East oil.

The assault weapons ban was allowed to expire.

By aggressive unilateralism, the US is becoming a pariah to the world instead of its leader.

Clandestino
11-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Do I feel safer with Bush in office? No, because

9/11 happened on his watch. it was being planned for years under clinton... clinton had osame offered to him, but he said no...

OBL escaped from his Afghanistan hideout. you have no idea where he is or was... no one does otherwise he'd be dead...he is hiding like a fucking rat...

International law (Geneva Conventions) was circumvented to abuse/torture prisoners of war and to hold them indefinitely with no rights.

National law was circumvented to hold Americans indefinitely with no rights. i hate how all you aclu people want the terrorists to be given truffles and fine wine and housed in 5-star hotels....

There are many more terrorists in Iraq now than pre-invasion. better to have them all there fighting our trained soldiers than to disperse them all over the world and attack innocent civilians...

Dangerous explosives in Iraq were allowed to be taken by anybody. you don't know that for sure...i love how you give what the IAEA says more weight than what our own soldiers say..

Nothing has been done to reduce our dependence on Middle East oil. okay, stop driving your car, turn off all your electricity...you are part of the problem...do you want the government to regulate everything? we are communists... the government should have as little intervention in our lives as possible.

The assault weapons ban was allowed to expire. so you only want the criminals to have such weapons...bc they will still have them...the law abiding citizens are the only ones who wouldn't have them...

By aggressive unilateralism, the US is becoming a pariah to the world instead of its leader. why do you want to appease the world? and people said the same thing about the u.s. after wwII...

Hook Dem
11-01-2004, 09:46 AM
"Do I feel safer with Bush in office? No, because

9/11 happened on his watch." ..................Don't forget about the hurricanes that hit Florida also. ..................."There are many more terrorists in Iraq now than pre-invasion." ...................................I thought you guys said there weren't any terrorist in Iraq prior to the invasion! .................................................."International law (Geneva Conventions) was circumvented to abuse/torture prisoners of war and to hold them indefinitely with no rights." ...............................................Mer ely your opinion.

ClintSquint
11-01-2004, 10:01 AM
I'M responsible for protecting my family and neither Bush or Kerry is going to change that.

Hook Dem
11-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I'M responsible for protecting my family and neither Bush or Kerry is going to change that.
Whats your "caliber" Clint?

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Yeah let's go back to the 'safety' of the Clinton years when the US repeatedly suffered attacks at home and abroad and the US did not mount an effective response due in part to a fear of being seen as acting in an aggressive unilateralist manner.

The Kerry approach has been tried already. It failed.

Useruser666
11-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Whats your "caliber" Clint?

That's a rather personal question! :lol

The assault weapons ban did not prevent people from obtaining assault weapons. Even under the ban, with the proper liscensing you could still buy and own assault style weapons. That law was worthless.

Hook Dem
11-01-2004, 10:13 AM
That's a rather personal question! :lol

The assault weapons ban did not prevent people from obtaining assault weapons. Even under the ban, with the proper liscensing you could still buy and own assault style weapons. That law was worthless.
:lol Just wanted to see if Clint was still polluting our "clean air" with his 357 Magnum. :lol

ClintSquint
11-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Well, I felt safe under the Clinton administration.
What you all don't get is that if 9/11 didn't happen, Bush wouldn't be so tough on terrorism.
His lackluster attention the terrorism prior to 9/11 is never discussed.
Many have allowed the terrorists to scare them but not me.
It always goes back to blaming Clinton for everything.
This is why I've been quite the past month or so.
This petty blaming gets on my freakin' nerves!!
I'm tired of it.

Useruser666
11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
What you all don't get is that if 9/11 didn't happen, Bush wouldn't be so tough on terrorism.
His lackluster attention the terrorism prior to 9/11 is never discussed.
Many have allowed the terrorists to scare them but not me.
It always goes back to blaming Clinton for everything.
This is why I've been quite the past month or so.
This petty blaming gets on my freakin' nerves!!
I'm tired of it.

I don't blame Clinton for 9/11 or the economy. I don't blame Bush for those either. I agree that Bush wouldn't be as tough on terrorism as he is now if it weren't for 9-11. But do you think any president would? I know I wouldn't think about it as much if it weren't for 9/11.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 10:20 AM

Obviously that 'safety' was illusory.

mysterious_elf26
11-01-2004, 10:21 AM
I personally feel safer with neither. Both of them have been caught staring their own country in the eye lying. Both of their agendas for office have been found either false, unable to accomplish, or it will actually make things worst. I'm voting Kerry because even though it's a gamble, I think we have a better chance making things better with a fresh-start. All I know is that whoever becomes president. We're in for another long four years.

JohnnyMarzetti
11-01-2004, 10:23 AM
What I don't like is Cheney continuing his "scare" tactics.
He went to Hawaii and told them if they didn't want another Pearl Harbor they better vote bush.
Wow is he bad and imagine the idiots who believe they are safer with them in office. They forget, 911 HAPPENED ON THEIR WATCH.
Bottom line: 9/11 happened on JUNIOR'S WATCH... AFTER he received a memo TELLING HIM Bin Laden would strike us with hijacked planes....

Hook Dem
11-01-2004, 10:26 AM
He went to Hawaii and told them if they didn't want another Pearl Harbor they better vote bush.
Wow is he bad and imagine the idiots who believe they are safer with them in office. They forget, 911 HAPPENED ON THEIR WATCH.
Bottom line: 9/11 happened on JUNIOR'S WATCH... AFTER he received a memo TELLING HIM Bin Laden would strike us with hijacked planes....
Spoken like a true Marxist Johnny Marxetti.

Clandestino
11-01-2004, 10:26 AM

i don't ever remember hearing about a memo that was so specific...

but clinton did say, osama is a threat... if he was such a fucking threat why didn't the former admin do anything?

bigzak25
11-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Do I feel safer with Bush in office? No, because.....

I'm a terrorist?

Useruser666
11-01-2004, 10:46 AM

Looks like a lot of people have problems with this statement. I believe that no matter how far you stretch things out, Bush was NOT at fault for 9/11. You are not accurately placing blame there. What lead up to the attacks on 9/11 are a series of very complex situations. I don't believe any of them are a result of GB's actions or anything else that could be attributed to him. The triggers of 9/11 were long ago put into motion before GB took office. The way he has handled those events can be heavily critized by some and praised by others. But you can not deny the FACT(mouse you listening? :) ) The US has not suffered another attack on her soil since 9/11.

boutons
11-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Clinton was not running the country, the CIA, the FBI, NSC, from 1/20 until 9/11.

Who was?

There was a veritable firestorm of flashing red lights and waving red flags from CIA and FBI in the 3 or 4 months before 9/11, all effectively ignored by the Repugs as they were too busy counting their $$$ from the biggest, most unfair tax cut in US history that was their first and only priority in taking office.

I lay 9/11 directly in the hands of shrub/dickhead. It occurred well into their watch, with plenty of time to undo whatever security shit they have blamed Clinton for.

shrub/dickhead had their chance to defend us then, they failed

shrub/dickhead had their chance to make USA/word safer after 9/11, but instead fucked up and instead invaded Iraq, and failed criminally.

shrub/dickhead should have bombed Iran and Libya as payback for US Embassy hostages, US marines/Lebanon, Lockerbie bombing, Berlin nightclub bombing, USS Cole, etc, etc. As the Jews have understood for decades, the Muslims/Arabs only understand force.

The USA/world is not safer. It's more dangerous and unguarded directly as a result of shrub/dickhead.

NameDropper
11-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Rumor has it that there WILL be another attack on US soil and no matter who is president..it WILL happen.
So I think much of the "We haven't had an attack since 9/11" is simply a coincidence that Bush supporters point out while over looking the FACT that 9/11 happened on his watch. Those are the facts and not a rumor.

Useruser666
11-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Rumor has it that there WILL be another attack on US soil and no matter who is president..it WILL happen.
So I think much of the "We haven't had an attack since 9/11" is simply a coincidence that Bush supporters point out while over looking the FACT that 9/11 happened on his watch. Those are the facts and not a rumor.

Yeah it's a coincidence that while Bush is president we are not attacked again!

Boutons, I am really having a hard time understanding your viewpoint when you just go off and rant. Name calling and random spewing of untruths is not a way to convince people here of your arguement. I don't understand how you can claim Bush is responsible for 9/11. Why is he responsible? He had just started his term at the time. You act as though 9/11 wouldn't have happened if some one else were in office at that time. That is BS and I'm calling it! None of us realized what a threat these terrorist posed to the US until after 9/11. Remember when the World trade center was bombed in '93? What was done then! Nothing! That was 8 years before 9/11! Now look at the difference of what steps have been taken after 9/11 and what steps were taken after the '93 bombing. Can you see the difference? If you can't you need to wake up. You are more than welcome to stick to your views no matter how far off they are, but right now you're spelling cat with a "k".

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I put my safety in God's hands and nobody elses.

boutons
11-01-2004, 12:36 PM
"He had just started his term at the time"

Remember how the Repugs spun their taking of office, the transition would be all "business-like", "meetings start/stop on time" (I take this spin as shrub being so "content-free" all he could do was insist on "form", and his first secy of commerce confirmed that after he left the cabinet), "hitting the ground running", etc, ad nauseam?

Well, 9/11 was almost 1 fucking year into shrub/dickhead term as commander-in-chief and primary guarantor of national security. 9/11 is shrub/dickhead's turd and their turd alone.

WTC/93 was on Clinton's watch, and THAT was the wake up call.

Remember when Clinton shot a cruise into Afghanistan to get OBL? I remember thinking "WTF is all that about?"

The outgoing Dem's warned shrub/dickhead about OBL, but since nothing of any value could possible come from the Dems, it was ignored. The Repugs had bigger fish to fry, like tax cuts for the rich.

I'm sure the complete story of the White House, CIA/FBI/NSC actions in the months before 9/11 has not been told.

That little 9/11 tidbit about the FBI agent who wrote a report that was extremely prescient about these foreigners wanting to learn how to fly but not learn how to take off and land? They want you to believe that was the ONLY insight anywhere in all of the FBI/CIA/NSC.

The spin we've heard, and that obviously we Americans of good will want to believe, is that it was impossible to have prevented 9/11. shrub/dickhead cia/fbi/nsc absolutlely insist that "possible to prevent" be unthinkable, beyond our imaginations. ie, shrub/dickhead absolutely want us to believe that the 9/11 was so exceptional so that we give shrub/dickhead a pass on it.

I remember sitting watching CNN, before the first tower fell, thinking "somebody has really fucked up bad to allow this to happen" CIA/FBI/NSC have $50B or so, year in and year out, to prevent this shit. What the fuck were they doing? Reminisicing about the good old days with the Russians?

But this general denying of any responsiblity is typical shrub. "we weren't responsible for (the failures before) 9/11 (it was Clinton), but we're responsible for the wonderful non-9/11's that haven't happened since. The want it both ways, I'm not giving it to them.

shrub/dickhead have the unlimited brazeness and mendacity to convict KERRY as guilty for a future, imagined 9/11, while shrub/dickhead are 100% innocent of the past, real 9/11? GMAFB

ie, my point is that if they want to stick Kerry as guility of some future 9/11, I stick shrub/dickhead with the guilt of the past 9/11.

Spurminator
11-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Considering that the training and most of the planning happened before Bush took office, about the only thing they could have done to prevent 9/11 was to ban box cutters from commercial aircraft.

Look, blame is as stupid and partisan. Everybody's got an idea of what should have been done and who was at fault. What America must ask itself is which candidate will keep us safe for the next 4 years, not which candidate might have been able to prevent 9/11.

spurster
11-01-2004, 12:52 PM
it [9/11] was being planned for years under clinton... clinton had osame offered to him, but he said no...If I agree Clinton takes a large part of the blame. I think Bush does, too.

you have no idea where he [OBL] is or was... no one does otherwise he'd be dead...he is hiding like a fucking rat...The evidence was very strong that he was at Tora Bora at the end of the Afghan war. The US could have done a lot more at that point, but hoped their Afghan allies would do the dirty work.

i hate how all you aclu people want the terrorists to be given truffles and fine wine and housed in 5-star hotels.... I take it that "truffles and fine wine and housed in 5-star hotels" is a direct quote from the Geneva Conventions. Such a stupid argument. There are more choices than giving them torture or giving them luxury.

better to have them all there fighting our trained soldiers than to disperse them all over the world and attack innocent civilians...Even better not to kill US citizens at all. The Iraq war is creating another generation of terrorists that will target the US.

you don't know that for sure...i love how you give what the IAEA says more weight than what our own soldiers say..I bet that Minnesota TV crew works for the IAEA, too. There have several non-IAEA reports of these sites being looted, pleas to an undermanned military to guard these sites, etc.

okay, stop driving your car, turn off all your electricity...you are part of the problem...do you want the government to regulate everything? we are communists... the government should have as little intervention in our lives as possible.It's not a use-energy or not-use-energy choice. We can improve on our energy usage, and the government can and has been pressuring auto manufacturers, for example, to produce more energy-efficient vehicles. Now though it's not Bush doing it, but California. Also, the government can provide pressure to increase alternative energy. Bush's hydrogen cells will likely be a good part of that years from now, but we need to do something today, too.

so you only want the criminals to have such weapons...bc they will still have them...the law abiding citizens are the only ones who wouldn't have them... So you want to make it easier for criminals to have such weapons, while allowing a very small fraction of law-abiding citizens to have them. Actually, law-abiding citizens could have them before, but would have to register them, so that argument goes down the tubes.

why do you want to appease the world? and people said the same thing about the u.s. after wwII...The rest of the world lives here, too. Why shouldn't they have a voice? I thought "democracy was on the march".

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 12:58 PM
The main problem is that Kerry wants to go back to the Clinton model of dealing with terrorism while Bush wants to maintain the posture we've had since 9/11. That's what it boils down to. I'll take the latter.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 01:05 PM
I'll take Kerry's approach which he has made very clear that he will defend America to the fullest extent and that is all I can ask for.
Either way, I won't be losing any sleep after tomorrow night.

Hook Dem
11-01-2004, 01:08 PM

Remember how the Repugs spun their taking of office, the transition would be all "business-like", "meetings start/stop on time" (I take this spin as shrub being so "content-free" all he could do was insist on "form", and his first secy of commerce confirmed that after he left the cabinet), "hitting the ground running", etc, ad nauseam?

Well, 9/11 was almost 1 fucking year into shrub/dickhead term as commander-in-chief and primary guarantor of national security. 9/11 is shrub/dickhead's turd and their turd alone.

Remember when Clinton shot a cruise into Afghanistan to get OBL? I remember thinking "WTF is all that about?"

The outgoing Dem's warned shrub/dickhead about OBL, but since nothing of any value could possible come from the Dems, it was ignored. The Repugs had bigger fish to fry, like tax cuts for the rich.

I'm sure the complete story of the White House, CIA/FBI/NSC actions in the months before 9/11 has not been told.

That little 9/11 tidbit about the FBI agent who wrote a report that was extremely prescient about these foreigners wanting to learn how to fly but not learn how to take off and land? They want you to believe that was the ONLY insight anywhere in all of the FBI/CIA/NSC.

The spin we've heard, and that obviously we Americans of good will want to believe, is that it was impossible to have prevented 9/11. shrub/dickhead cia/fbi/nsc absolutlely insist that "possible to prevent" be unthinkable, beyond our imaginations. ie, shrub/dickhead absolutely want us to believe that the 9/11 was so exceptional so that we give shrub/dickhead a pass on it.

I remember sitting watching CNN, before the first tower fell, thinking "somebody has really fucked up bad to allow this to happen" CIA/FBI/NSC have $50B or so, year in and year out, to prevent this shit. What the fuck were they doing? Reminisicing about the good old days with the Russians?

But this general denying of any responsiblity is typical shrub. "we weren't responsible for (the failures before) 9/11 (it was Clinton), but we're responsible for the wonderful non-9/11's that haven't happened since. The want it both ways, I'm not giving it to them.

shrub/dickhead have the unlimited brazeness and mendacity to convict KERRY as guilty for a future, imagined 9/11, while shrub/dickhead are 100% innocent of the past, real 9/11? GMAFB

ie, my point is that if they want to stick Kerry as guility of some future 9/11, I stick shrub/dickhead with the guilt of the past 9/11.
You are one bitter individual filled with hatred and if anyone is a "dickhead", it is you! :flipoff :flipoff :flipoff :flipoff :flipoff

Clandestino
11-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I'll take Kerry's approach which he has made very clear that he will defend America to the fullest extent and that is all I can ask for.
Either way, I won't be losing any sleep after tomorrow night.

yeah, i won't be losing sleep either, but i'll be pissed if kerry's wins!

and kerry has said a lot, but done other things.. you can't take the man at his word... you know that...

it is going to interesting tomorrow... all the networks have said they won't be making early predictions this year...

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Bush has also said somethings and didn't follow through...remember, they are both politicians.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 01:28 PM
I'll take Kerry's approach which he has made very clear that he will defend America to the fullest extent

...just as Clinton and those presidents before him did. Kerry still doesn't seem to have grasped that things have changed since 9/11. Waiting to be attacked again before acting is not an anti-terrorist policy I find appealing.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I have not been scared into believing that.
That is just me and I only speak for myself.
I've never heard Kerry say, "I will wait for an attack before protecting America."

But I'm done.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Kerry has said a number of times that he would not hesitate to defend America when attacked.

We've been attacked.

spurster
11-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Utter BS. No future president is going back to any past weak approach to terrorism after 9/11. Even Bush changed from "tax cuts will solve all your problems" to focusing on terrorism. He made major mistakes IMO, but I can't fault him for effort. Remember that Bush was equally weak on terrorism before 9/11.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 02:12 PM
"BS"? Kerry's stance is quite clear to those who actually bother to listen instead of hating Bushitler 24/7.

boutons
11-01-2004, 02:26 PM
"hook dem" advances the dialogue and enlightens us all.

When shrub/dickhead conduct themselves like leaders of the country, then I will call them by their proper names.

gophergeorge
11-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Joe!

Kerry didn't even want to punish Libya for the Berlin Disco bombing!

It will be open season on the US of A....

God help us if he wins....

boutons
11-01-2004, 02:43 PM
"Kerry didn't even want to punish Libya for the Berlin Disco bombing!"

Why didn't Saint Ronnie,

1) as soon as he had the chance as President and

2) had the US Embasssy hostages back (a luxury Jimmie didn't have), bomb the fuck out of Iran? bomb the fuck out of Libya?

And why don't faux Macho Men shrub/dickhead do it now as reactive, not pre-emptive, attack? Is there some kind of statute of limitations on the act of war of invading the U.S. soil, of murdering disco dancers, or airline passengers?

Useruser666
11-01-2004, 02:57 PM

Boutons, I can't debate, you because to me you make no sense in your arguements. Maybe if you start calling Bush, Bush, and Chaney, Chaney it would help clear things up. I see only hate in your words and no coherency.

I do remember that. Your critisisms for Bush about missing Osama fall flat when Clinton had done the same thing before. And you blame Bush for 9/11 when Clinton had just tried to kill him. Do you not think that pissed off Osama? I find fault in some of the things Bush has done. There is plenty there to find. I don't have to stretch the truth or push absolutely ridiculous accusations.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 03:02 PM
"BS"? Kerry's stance is quite clear to those who actually bother to listen instead of hating Bushitler 24/7.

I have been listening and he has made it clear that he will defend America.

And I agree that Bush was weak on terrorism before 9/11.

bigzak25
11-01-2004, 03:06 PM
And I agree that Bush was weak on terrorism before 9/11.

so you, and anyone else that wants to chime in, would have supported attacks on afghanistan prior to 9/11???

:smokin

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 03:09 PM
I have been listening and he has made it clear that he will defend America.

..."when attacked".

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Like I said. I'll sleep soundly if Kerry is elected.
Looks like you'll be the one flip-flopping in his bed.
Not me.
Don't forget that Bush didn't do anthing against terrorism until we were attacked.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Bush has since then. Kerry's approach is definitely still pre-9/11.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 03:21 PM
The bottom line is that each of us will make our own decisions and let's just leave it at that.
I'm simply not going to be scared into voting for Bush.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2004, 03:22 PM
But would he have if not for 9/11?

That is a question that cannot be answered any more than your questions about Kerry.

boutons
11-01-2004, 03:24 PM
For those of you who are so say your are pro-military, can't you join with me in lamenting the waste of 1100+ military lives in Iraq, the many more 1000's of US military without limbs, spinal cords, faces, or mental health for years to come?

Those of you who are pro-humanity, join with me in lamenting the death of 10's of 1000's of innocent Iraqis (at current counts for each number) by the completely senseless, bogus, counter-productive war started by shrub/dickhead in the name of the USA?

On the single but humongous issue of Iraq alone, shrub/dickhead have forfeited all claims to respect, credibility, and right to represent the USA on the world stage.

btw, I can call somebody shrub/dickhead without hating them.

Nor do I fault the US military, top to bottom, for the Iraq quaqmire. I thank them every day for their contribution. They are just folllowing orders, as they are conracted and sworn to do. But as commander-in-chief, shrub has criminally violated his side of that contract by sending our military into totally unnecessary war, risking, and losing, their lives for absolutely nothing.

Spurminator
11-01-2004, 03:28 PM
But would he have if not for 9/11?

Would Tim Duncan have been a great basketball player if not for Hurricane Hugo? Is that a factor in contract negotiations?

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Gee, how about when you are lamenting the humanity of it all you think first about placing a little blame with Saddam Hussein?

Nbadan
11-01-2004, 03:41 PM
i don't ever remember hearing about a memo that was so specific...

Do some research on Sibel Edmounds and why the Bush Administration wants to try and keep her quiet even to the point of going back and re-classifying her testimony as a National Security secret after it had been in the press.

You'll be amazed at what Ms. Edmounds has to say.

Nbadan
11-01-2004, 03:54 PM
so you, and anyone else that wants to chime in, would have supported attacks on afghanistan prior to 9/11???

I had been advocating attacking Afghanistan and ursuping the Taliban since they knocked down those two giant Buda's, well before 911. They're disregard for human culture, history and their treatment of women alone was enough to justify an Invasion. I just think we should have stayed there and finished the job.

Nbadan
11-01-2004, 04:02 PM
mnbbvfffghhjkkkkkkkk,..l;ppkm, mmn m,ll,llljukio[[;loopoookiuuiollpp

boutons
11-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Removing Saddam Hussein was NOT the reason that shrub/dickhead gave for starting this war. WMD was, "immediate threat to USA" was, "no other option but immediate war" was. lie, lie, lie, lie, now 1100+ military lied dead.

shrub/dickhead have replaced Saddam as the number cause of deaths of innocent Iraqis, and Saddam lacks shrub/dickhead's coupability in the deaths of 1100+ US military.

bigzak25
11-01-2004, 04:10 PM
i'm glad to hear that dan. (regarding attacking afgh. prior to 9/11)

as for boutons....jeez man..."shrub/dickhead" ???

i'm sure you can make your points on a higher level than that. :smokin

spurster
11-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Both Clinton and Bush were weak on terrorism before 9/11. Almost everybody was. Even Reagan backed out of Lebanon as I recall. That was the politics before. Clinton should have seen the writing on the wall after various bombings, and so should have Bush. Not many people did, including myself, so the majority of American was ok with that policy.

After 9/11, no politician is going to be elected if he/she is or appears to be weak on terrorism. Simple as that. Even the most conniving, cynical, and slimy politician whose only goal is life is to be reelected and reap the rewards of corporate payoffs and the politician's retirement system can appreciate that. The issue is not being weak; the issue is how are you going to address it.

Do you want to pretend that you are living in a fantasy cowboy western, where all that matters is that we get them before they get us? Or do you want to address the problem with all the levers that we have: military, intelligence, political, diplomacy, economic, and what not? And we aren't going to get far unless we get help from the rest of the world (which is where the terrorists generally are), and that means a careful mixture of cooperation and confrontation, not a go-it-alone unilateralism.

Useruser666
11-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Boutons, try and call Bush by his real name. How can anyone debate when you resort to such name calling? I agree with you Spurster. But I also see that Bush has been tough on terrorism. I know just because there has been no more attacks on US soil doesn't mean there ren't any more terrorists. But I feel it is somewhat of a succes that we haven't been attacked in THREE YEARS since then! Something has to be working. This must especially be true after we went into the heart of terrorism and really stirred things up. Even if you don't believe the heart of terrorism is Iraq and it's just Afghanistan it doesn't change things. It doesn't change what needs to be done to fight terrorism. I just think Nush has done about as much as a president can without severely infringing upon the people's rights. When the question about what should be done after 9/11 was first asked, what did you expect would come from that? What would be the results you hoped for at that time? Could you have guessed that would not be attacked for the next three years? At the time, I was really worried we would be attacked again and again, yet we haven't. I understand your views very much so. Call me the Devils advocate.

JohnnyMarzetti
11-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Don't forget that the 9/11 attacks were in the making for years.
It's not like it was planned and done in a few months.

Hook Dem
11-01-2004, 07:46 PM
"hook dem" advances the dialogue and enlightens us all.

When shrub/dickhead conduct themselves like leaders of the country, then I will call them by their proper names.
I personally don't care if you ever call him by his name. I was just pointing out that you are filled with hate. Deny that one! :lol