PDA

View Full Version : The Dixie Chicks Ad NBC Doesn’t Want You To See

Nbadan
10-28-2006, 02:15 AM
he Dixie Chicks Ad NBC Doesn’t Want You To See

NBC is refusing to air an ad for the new Dixie Chicks documentary, “Shut Up & Sing.” Variety reports, “NBC’s commercial clearance department said in writing that it ‘cannot accept these spots as they are disparaging to President Bush.’”

VIDEO (http://thinkprogress.org/?tag=Media)

Harvey Weinstein, who is distributing the movie, issued the following statement:

It’s a sad commentary about the level of fear in our society that a movie about a group of courageous entertainers who were blacklisted for exercising their right of free speech is now itself being blacklisted by corporate America. The idea that anyone should be penalized for criticizing the president is profoundly un-American.

Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/27/dixie-chicks-advert...)

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Didn't the dems get all heated up over a movie criticizing Clinton just a couple of months ago?

Zunni
10-28-2006, 11:04 AM
NBC is one of the worst corporate media censors. They also recently fired liberal blogger Eric Alterman, no reason given. This kind of shit makes me laugh when people talk about the liberal media. It doesn't fucking exist.

Zunni
10-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Didn't the dems get all heated up over a movie criticizing Clinton just a couple of months ago?
Dems <> Media, which is supposed to be non-biased. I'll bet NBC advertised that shit, though.

SA210
10-28-2006, 11:13 AM
I'll be watching this. Go Dixie Chicks :tu

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
NBC is one of the worst corporate media censors. They also recently fired liberal blogger Eric Alterman, no reason given. This kind of shit makes me laugh when people talk about the liberal media. It doesn't fucking exist.

The liberal media absolutely exists........but so does the right winged media as well, but "conservative media" just doesn't roll off the tongue as well as "liberal media".

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 11:21 AM

Here's the other thing that has yet to be mentioned......the Dixie Chicks suck.

Drachen
10-28-2006, 12:05 PM

The criticizing was done because a lot of it was made up for drama's sake but was presented as reality.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Networks refuse ads all the time that they don't feel fits their demographic.

Considering this is nothing more than another publicity stunt by the Dixie Chunks, who gives a shit if their 'whoa is us, buy our album because we hate George Bush' movie isn't pimped by NBC, other than liberal hacks?

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 12:10 PM
The criticizing was done because a lot of it was made up for drama's sake but was presented as reality.

Come on, the criticizing was done because it presented Clinton negatively. If they would have made up things for drama's sake that attacked Bush, would the Dems have complained that it was a false representation of the events?

clambake
10-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't need to. Bush's actions are drama enough.

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't need to. Bush's actions are drama enough.

I agree, but I'm just pointing out that both sides do this.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2006, 01:06 PM
If they would have made up things for drama's sake that attacked Bush, would the Dems have complained that it was a false representation of the events?

I think, after Michael Moore's 9/11 hack job, the answer to that is a resounding no.

It's coming up on elections, not surprising the the libs want to trash Republicans and Bush as much as possible but scream about outrages, injustice, and censorship when someone turns the tables on them.

Oscar DeLa
10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
i dont know what it is, but liberals and republicans? they all think stereotypically.

johnsmith
10-28-2006, 03:46 PM
I think, after Michael Moore's 9/11 hack job, the answer to that is a resounding no.

It's coming up on elections, not surprising the the libs want to trash Republicans and Bush as much as possible but scream about outrages, injustice, and censorship when someone turns the tables on them.

I think we've managed to turn this into a garbage thread. In the words of Shaq, "One lucky shot deserves another", or in this case "One case of partisan censorship deserves another".

PixelPusher
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
NBC didn't have a problem running ads for "Farenheit 9/11" back in 2004, so I have to think there's more to this than partisanship.

jochhejaam
10-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Wow! Sounds like a very constructive evening is in order at the ol' homestead. Eating popcorn in the ol' TV room, with some high entertainment waiting in the wings. Salivating, with baited breath at the thought of hearing your President trashed by a few fool-hardy Country girls. :lol

Life is good, eh? Enjoy! :monkey

JoeChalupa
10-29-2006, 09:13 AM
There's your trouble.

SA210
10-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Wow! Sounds like a very constructive evening is in order at the ol' homestead. Eating popcorn in the ol' TV room, with some high entertainment waiting in the wings. Salivating, with baited breath at the thought of hearing your President trashed by a few fool-hardy Country girls. :lol

Life is good, eh? Enjoy! :monkey
You should try is sometime, instead of salivating at the sound of war.

leemajors
10-30-2006, 01:49 AM
You should try is sometime, instead of salivating at the sound of war.

wasting your time watching a garbage documentary? i'd rather watch some kind of monster, that's high comedy - metal band in group therapy, pretending their new music is great.

DFW Spurs
10-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Come on, the Dixie Chicks? I hate musicians/actors who make a boat load of money and want to pepper us with their personal opinions. Their just as out of touch as these so called politicians in Washington... Come on people. When will America wake up? This country is controlled by aristocratic politicians, corporations, and those with a surplus of money who can influence the simple minded.

RandomGuy
10-30-2006, 09:04 AM

Not quite. The movie didn't "criticize" Clinton.

The dems got upset that the movie was inaccurate. There is a difference between saying something is factually false, and expressing an opinion.

Not trying to be partisan here, simply trying to make a distinction. If the movie had been about Bush and was provably false in its potrayal, I would say the same thing.

(amused)

I don't have to make s*** up about Bush anyways to show he is a horrible president. ;)

Spurminator
10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I had never even heard of this stupid movie until NBC rejected the previews. Are we sure NBC doesn't have some kind of financial stake in this film?

JoeChalupa
10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I guess they aren't ready to play nice.

u2sarajevo
10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Who/what are the Dixie Chicks?

Are they running for Office?

JoeChalupa
10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I like their music by the way.

RandomGuy
10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Who/what are the Dixie Chicks?

Are they running for Office?

Heh, they are a country music trio who actually made me like some country music.

It is smart and funny, and alternately sentimental.

I liked them before they expressed their opinions publicly and still like them.

They stand up for their views in the face of criticism, and I can admire that. :clap

elbamba
10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
I am sure all of ten people will watch this movie. Dixie Chicks suck!!

DarkReign
10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
...who gives a shit if their 'whoa is us, buy our album because we hate George Bush'

Is that a Bill & Ted kind of "whoa"?

Or is that an Edgar Allen Poe kind of "woe"?

01Snake
10-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Or the Joey Lawrence on Blossom...Wooooe! :lol

johnsmith
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM

Bill S. Preston Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan are WYLD STALLYNS!!!!!!!!!!

Who would have ever thought that their music would have changed the lives of so many? Touching really.

Crookshanks
10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
These chicky-poos are so smart and clever - they couldn't even come up with an original title for their "movie." They ripped off the title from Laura Ingraham's book!

Zunni
10-30-2006, 07:52 PM
These chicky-poos are so smart and clever - they couldn't even come up with an original title for their "movie." They ripped off the title from Laura Ingraham's book!
Yes, because there have never been two different books or movies with the same title before...