PDA

View Full Version : Sprewell wants trade

ducks
11-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Sprewell wants trade

BY MIKE WELLS, Pioneer Press

Swingman says Wolves are dragging feet on a new deal

Latrell Sprewell thinks he will not receive a contract extension before Wednesday's season opener against the New York Knicks, so the swingman wants a trade.

Sprewell, who is in the last year of his contract, added fuel to the fire Sunday when he said the contract the Wolves have offered him is "insulting."

"I pretty much told them I don't want what they're talking about," he said. "So if we can't work it out, work something out with somebody else."

The Wolves are believed to be offering Sprewell, 34, a three-year, $27 million extension, which likely is substantially more than what he would receive if he becomes a free agent at the end of the season. Some say Sprewell probably would be offered a team's midlevel exception, which is about $5.1 million a season, or slightly more than that if he becomes a free agent.

Sprewell doesn't believe the Wolves are offering enough for his value to the team. He told the Pioneer Press and a reporter from New York on Oct. 21 he wants a deal completed by Wednesday Sprewell never has negotiated during the season, and he won't continue talking once the season starts.

"I'm not trying to stay the year here, I will say that," he said. "If they don't want to sign me, I want to go somewhere else."

Coach Flip Saunders and owner Glen Taylor declined to comment. Vice president of operations Kevin McHale was unavailable for comment Sunday.

The Wolves have the final say in trading Sprewell, but that won't stop him from trying.

"I don't know, whatever I can," he said. "If they don't want to pay me, why would I want to stay here and risk injury and sit there and be with nothing, no contract? If something happens to me, who is going to look out for Spree then? Nobody."

A possible solution for Sprewell would be to play out his contract, help the Wolves in their quest for an NBA title, then leave as a free agent. He said he won't re-sign if he becomes a free agent.

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed. Anything can happen; it's a long season. You never know."

Sprewell's $14.6 million salary this season is tied with eight other players for the ninth highest in the league. To put that into context, Sprewell's salary is more than double that of Indiana's Ron Artest and Detroit's Richard Hamilton, players who are more than five years younger and considered better than Sprewell.

Sprewell seems most upset about the timing. He thought something would be done more than three months ago. Sprewell had the option to walk away from his contact at the end of last season, but he says the Wolves gave him the impression he would have a new deal by the end of July. However, talks quickly ceased, leaving Sprewell wondering how important he is to the team.

"It's not tough; it's disappointing," he said. "You would think after what we were able to accomplish last year, they would be at least offering something decent."

Sprewell, who has an injured right ankle, went through a contact practice Sunday for the first time in a couple of weeks, but he is not sure if he will play Wednesday.

"It's not 100 percent. I'm able to run, but I'm still taking my time," he said. "I can play this way, but I'll see how I feel. I'll decide after Tuesday."

When he does take the court, Sprewell said he will play the way he always does, which is hard and with a lot of passion.

"I coach my guys when they step on the floor. My guys step on the floor, and they give me 100 percent and that's all I ask," Saunders said.

Sunday's was the latest episode in which Sprewell voiced animosity toward the front office. Besides setting a deadline for when he wanted an extension, Sprewell told the Pioneer Press on Friday that he was proving a point on how serious he is about getting a deal done when he skipped the team's luncheon Thursday at Target Center.

Wolves officials can try to disguise things all they want by saying the situation is not going to distract them from what they are trying to accomplish on the court, but with the season two days away, it looks as if the turmoil will carry into the season. Sam Cassell also is seeking an extension.

Nothing has been promised to Cassell, who has two years left on his deal, but all indications pointed to the Wolves taking care of Sprewell and then moving on to Cassell.

"I want what I deserve," Cassell said Friday. "Nothing more, nothing less. Me and Spree aren't valuable enough? Kevin is the man; me and Spree are his sidekicks. You pay this guy and that guy, and we're supposed to be happy about everything? It doesn't work like that."

Mike Wells covers the Timberwolves and the NBA. He can be reached at [email protected]. :elephant

Nikos
11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Somehow I think this will be settled and Spree should remain a T-Wolve.

Brodels
11-01-2004, 09:55 AM
I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed.

:) You must have an awfully large family, Spree. You know, there really are people who have trouble putting food on the table. Moron.

And what is this about him risking injury and shit? He's under contract. He's being paid several million dollars to play. I'm sorry that your family is going to starve to death, but nobody is under an obligation to agree to pay you for anything beyond your current contract.

"I want what I deserve," Cassell said Friday. "Nothing more, nothing less.

You deserve what you are making because you agreed to sign the contract. If you wanted to, you could have signed for a shorter length of time or held out for more money. You were a dumbass for signing that contract in the first place.

Brodels
11-01-2004, 09:59 AM
"Why would I want to help them win a title?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me.

They aren't doing anything except paying you as one of the top ten players in the league even when it's clear that you aren't.

"If they don't want to pay me, why would I want to stay here and risk injury and sit there and be with nothing, no contract? If something happens to me, who is going to look out for Spree then? Nobody."

They are paying you. More than most other players in the game. If something happens to you, other than your family starving to death, I'm sure you would be O.K.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-01-2004, 02:25 PM
hahahahaha.....i could feed my state with the veterans minimum , idiot, but if he leaves, so much for the mighty t-wolves

Medvedenko
11-01-2004, 03:29 PM
What a loser....he's getting paid 14million this season and they are offering almost 9 million for the next 3 years, given his age and potential..that's pretty sweet. Him and cassell are bitches....this is reason they won't win....maybe Spree should choke the GM. Chumps.
Feed my family...please

sickdsm
11-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Spree was a fan faverite a few months ago, as of right now MN sports fans probably have more disgust for him than Steph, Knoblauch, and Hitler combined. I think the wolves brass delibrately let the $9 mill price tag out into the public to save face and make Spree that bad guy. Which he is if he's going to bitch about it. The Wolves have contacted the league to see if they can fine him for skipping that luncheon. It looks more and more like World is staying in MN and spree will be gone. I wouldn't have one problem with Glen Taylor just using sprees contract for cap space instead of trading him, he deserves it. He is by far the best owner the minn sports scene has. He looks like Steinbrenner compared to that cheap ass McCombs.

Kori Ellis
11-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Well I know Pop loves Spree but I don't think even he loves him enough to want him at that price. :lol

T Park
11-01-2004, 07:28 PM
If Spreewell isnt in Minny, then they can be lowered a notch in the NBA world, making it SPurs, Pistons, and everyone else.

ChumpDumper
11-01-2004, 07:29 PM
He can split the MLE with Scola next season....

T Park
11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
pfft, fat chance of that.

But the problem is, I wouldnt bring him in.

Who do you move to put him in???

ducks
11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
The Wolves are believed to be offering Sprewell, 34, a three-year, $27 million extension

I see him maybe in portland or mavs NOT A SPUR

Kori Ellis
11-01-2004, 07:50 PM
He can split the MLE with Scola next season....

Side note: Do the Spurs have re-sign Devin this summer? Or do they have a team option?

T Park
11-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I think this year is the team option.

I think hes a free agent this summer.

Mark in Austin
11-01-2004, 07:55 PM
at his age, if Spree passes up 9 million per for the next three years, he's an idiot.

Kori Ellis
11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
According to Patricia's site, there's no option -- it was just a 2 year deal, 2003-05. But several people have said the Spurs have an option. If Devin is a free agent this summer, where are the Spurs going to come up with money for him?

timvp
11-01-2004, 07:58 PM
According to Patricia's site, there's no option -- it was just a 2 year deal, 2003-05. But several people have said the Spurs have an option. If Devin is a free agent this summer, where are the Spurs going to come up with money for him?

Scola would have to wait another year.

T Park
11-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Depends on how Devin Brown plays.

If he shows no improvement, wich IMO, he really hasnt, then I would give the money to Scola.

Sprewell last year played nice cause it was a new place, and they almost won it all.

Now hes back in gangsta pay me mah money mode, and gonna be a distraction to the team.

Props to the Spurs for not trading Ginobili and Rose for him.

1Parker1
11-01-2004, 08:05 PM
"They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed."

"Sprewell's $14.6 million salary this season"

Damn...how much does his family eat??:)

Kori Ellis
11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
If he shows no improvement, wich IMO, he really hasnt,

Ummm... I know you missed the preseason, but you do realize that he was the Spurs second leading scorer and rebounder behind Duncan, plus he has extended his range to 3-point range, right?

Brodels
11-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Ummm... I know you missed the preseason, but you do realize that he was the Spurs second leading scorer and rebounder behind Duncan, plus he has extended his range to 3-point range, right?

He's gonna be the real deal, but the Spurs are going to have to be patient. While he might not explode this season - and, in a way, I hope he doesn't so he'll re-sign for cheap - he'll be a solid player down the road. He's got skills.

Kori Ellis
11-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah Brodels, I wasn't saying Devin was awesome. I was just addressing Tpark saying that Devin hasn't improved at all and if he doesn't, then shouldn't be re-signed.

Ginobilly
11-01-2004, 08:15 PM
"They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed."

His entourage perhaps? :fro A lot of African American Athlete's and Artist are known to take care of most of their homies from the ghetto.

Ginobilly
11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah Brodels, I wasn't saying Devin was awesome. I was just addressing Tpark saying that Devin hasn't improved at all and if he doesn't shouldn't be re-signed.

I agee, the boy has improved. I think he may have the potential to the main 6 man guard of the bench once Barry retires or leaves. He may even give Manu a run for his money in the upcoming years? :wow

Guru of Nothing
11-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Maybe he adopted all of Shawn Kemp's children.

mattyc
11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
i could feed my state with the veterans minimum ,
:lol :lol :lol

Is a shame Spree can't keep his head screwed on properly for more than 5 minutes.

spursfaninla
11-01-2004, 08:31 PM
What is this guy thinking? NO ONE in their right mind is giving him an equal contract to this, much less more. He is a fool.

texbound
11-01-2004, 08:53 PM

Damn...how much does his family eat??

Maybe Oliver Miller is related to Spree. That man can eat.

TwoHandJam
11-01-2004, 09:08 PM
It's amazing how players live in a dream world thinking their skills haven't declined. No GM in their right mind would pay Spree $14M/yr at his age and current skill level. He's lucky to even be offered $9M. It's too bad Pop couldn't get a hold of him for the Spurs when he was younger because he was quite a player. He had that killer instinct the Spurs always seemed to lack.

Anyhow, all this turmoil on the Wolves bodes well for us because they're probably our top competition in the west.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-01-2004, 09:51 PM
the thing is i think his agent is the one driving this not spree, you no how it is with those guys, but no Spree in SA never would have worked, that would be like rodman all over again.

the t-wolves were a doomed dynasty before they got started, they built around declining veterans, of course they're gonna face this.

sickdsm
11-01-2004, 10:52 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Spree is negotiating his own contract, that's the problem.

Spree had an option which he used earlier this year. If he REALLY believed he was worth an extension at the same price, common knowledge would say that he would have been better off doing a three year deal starting this year instead of using his option and then starting a 3 yr extension that begins a whole year older.

There's two bad scenario's, spree plays out the season. Knowing spree though he would still go all out and give it his all, especially in a contract year.

Or he gets traded and the Wolves GET SOMETHING BACK. Thats something which everyone here seems to forget. Remember, this is the guy that was traded a crippled point guard for.

ChumpDumper
11-01-2004, 11:37 PM
According to Patricia's site, there's no option -- it was just a 2 year deal, 2003-05. But several people have said the Spurs have an option. If Devin is a free agent this summer, where are the Spurs going to come up with money for him?This is the option year:
the team has options on Horry and Brown for 2004-05http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1802804

They can pay him up to the midlevel using Early Bird rights. That won't affect the actual MLE.

maxpower
11-02-2004, 01:31 AM
I would not be surprised to open Webster's Dictionary and see a picture of Spreewell beside Ingrate.

shyne
11-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Spree is fucking dumb hes not even that good anymore.

sickdsm
11-02-2004, 08:45 AM
He's quoted today as saying he'll continue talks and it'll basically get done.

xcoriate
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM
He's quoted today as saying he'll continue talks and it'll basically get done.

Man, I seriously doubt I'd be giving Spree what the wolves are offering either. $9M per year for 3 years...

Sure but hes not getting any younger, I spose its all or bust right now for Minny...

sickdsm
11-02-2004, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't have offered that much either. Slightly more than the MLE would have been enough, at least it would have been the best he'd fetch.

Local DJ's are having a food drive. Bring some non-perishable items to the game or to the station to help feed "spree and his family". One guy called in and said his 8 year old son was sulking last night during supper. He asked why and said he was worried about Spree's family. Its frickin' hilarious. I expect him to see Webber-esque boos tomorrow night.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Spree is still good, but now that he doesnt get the touches he got in NY he isnt the same effectivness wise, it just doesnt make sense to pay him any more money, because he cannot fill that kind of role for any team other than miami, and they're capped out.

adidas11
11-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Spree is an idiot.

He's turning down 9 million per year, at the age of 35??? For playing the most commonly played position in the NBA??? (swingman)

The Wolves should just hold on to the current contract until it expires. No way you mortgage the future of your franchise for a has-been shooting guard.

Kori Ellis
11-03-2004, 02:58 AM
They can pay him up to the midlevel using Early Bird rights. That won't affect the actual MLE.

Cool, thanks. I was wondering about that. I forgot about Early Bird for some reason. I just kept thinking that I knew they didn't have his Bird rights.

More on Sprewell being an idiot ...

Sprewell Cited After Argument With Officer

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - Latrell Sprewell of the Minnesota Timberwolves received a misdemeanor citation Tuesday after being involved in a verbal confrontation with a police officer.

Sprewell, who was criticized by NBA Commissioner David Stern for comments he made regarding a contract extension, was riding in a vehicle that was stopped in downtown Minneapolis about 6 p.m. Tuesday, police spokesman Ron Reier said.

Sprewell spoke up while the driver was being questioned about licensing and insurance.

"Somehow, Sprewell attempted to intervene in the situation," Reier said. "He was then ordered to not interfere."

Sprewell ignored the order and was ticketed for failing to obey the lawful order of a police officer, Reier said.

Sprewell has demanded that the team extend his contract, or he'll ask to be traded. Sprewell averaged 16.8 points last season and is due to make $14.6 million this year.

Timberwolves vice president Kevin McHale declined to comment about the citation.

kskonn
11-03-2004, 09:11 AM
"Sprewell's $14.6 million salary this season is tied with eight other players for the ninth highest in the league. To put that into context, Sprewell's salary is more than double that of Indiana's Ron Artest and Detroit's Richard Hamilton, players who are more than five years younger and considered better than Sprewell." -Mike Wells Pioneer Post

I agree, tell me how Minni can justify offering spree the amount of money that they have. You would think that Spree would just be excited about the chance to go out and try to win a championship. Those opportunitie dp mot come along to often when you have played on the Teams Spree has. Or maybe spree has always been the problem?

maxpower
11-03-2004, 10:08 AM
I would love to see Minny take a stand and retract their extension offer and just let him walk after the year..and hell even hold out if he wishes...screw trading him. That would only enforce to these idiots that if they bitch and moan, they will get what they want.

Utterly clueless.

kskonn
11-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Definetily, To many players are complaining their way in to a trade. The players need to take more time in deciding where they really want to play, instead of causing all of these issues for their orginizations after the fact. To many orginizations are having to settle for medicracy when trading problem players, eventually the teams are going to have to take a stand.