PDA

View Full Version : NBC rejects TV ads for Dixie Chicks film By Steve Gorman

ducks
10-28-2006, 09:00 AM
NBC rejects TV ads for Dixie Chicks film By Steve Gorman
Fri Oct 27, 9:26 PM ET

Citing its policy barring ads dealing with "public controversy," the NBC network said on Friday it rejected a TV commercial for a new film documenting the furor over the Dixie Chicks' criticism of President George W. Bush.

Ads for the documentary "Shut Up & Sing" also were rebuffed by the smaller CW network, though local affiliates of all five major broadcasters, including NBC and CW, ran promotional spots for the film in New York and Los Angeles, the two cities where it opened on Friday.

The ad features footage of lead singer Natalie Maines declaring during a London concert in March 2003 that the band was "ashamed" to come from the same state -- Texas -- as Bush.

The film's distributor, the Weinstein Co., seized on the rejection of its spots as evidence of political censorship by NBC and CW and said it was "exploring taking legal action."

The studio provided media outlets copies of "clearance" reports from NBC's standards and practices department bearing handwritten notations stating the ads were deemed unacceptable because "they are disparaging of President Bush."

Similar documents from the CW cited "concerns we do not have appropriate programing in which to schedule this spot."

"It's a sad commentary about the level of fear in our society that a movie about a group of courageous entertainers who were blacklisted for exercising their right of free speech is now itself being blacklisted by corporate America," studio co-owner Harvey Weinstein said in a statement.

A spokeswoman for Weinstein, renowned for aggressive marketing tactics as former co-chief executive of Miramax Films, dismissed suggestions by several industry sources that his attack on NBC and CW amounted to a publicity ploy.

"The idea that we're making an issue of this for the sake of publicity is nonsense," she said. "We're making an issue of this because we want the networks to run our ads."

NBC, a unit of General Electric Co., and CW, a joint venture of CBS Corp. and Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. studio, denied they were engaging in political censorship.

NBC said it was merely following its "policy of not broadcasting ads that deal with issues of public controversy." A CW spokesman said the press release issued by the Weinstein Co. was "flat-out inaccurate, period."

"We asked them where they wanted to air (the spot) on the network, and then they said, 'We don't have plans for a buy.' That's really all I can tell you."

The studio said it is routine for movie distributors to seek advance network "clearance" for ads promoting limited-release films before deciding whether to proceed with a national advertising campaign.

A spokeswoman for the Dixie Chicks said the country pop trio were on tour in Canada and unavailable for comment.

But the liberal advocacy group People for the American Way weighed into controversy, saying NBC appeared to be trying to squelch political dissent less than two weeks before the mid-term congressional elections. "This is a film about censorship, and now it sounds as though it's being censored," the group's president, Ralph Neas, said.

CBS and Fox, a unit of News Corp. Ltd. said they had approved the ads for network broadcast, but ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. said it has not yet decided.

"Shut Up & Sing," directed by Cecilia Peck and Oscar winner Barbara Kopple, offers a behind-the-scenes look at the backlash sparked by Maines' anti-Bush outburst in 2003.

Maines later said she was sorry for "disrespecting the office of the president" but fanned flames anew when she retracted her apology in a Time magazine interview this year, saying: "I don't feel he is owned any respect whatsoever."

Many country music radio stations reacted by refusing the play the Chicks' records, and some even boycotted ads for their current "Accidents & Accusations" tour, leading the band to cancel numerous dates in the South and Midwest.

Reuters/VNU

Josh810
10-28-2006, 11:14 AM
They could just reject it cause they suck.

SA210
10-28-2006, 11:21 AM
In that case, I'll make sure that I go watch it, soon.

T Park
10-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Bravo NBC.

Now kick off Olbermann so he can be on the Dan Patrick show 3 hours a day :lol

leemajors
10-28-2006, 03:17 PM
In that case, I'll make sure that I go watch it, soon.

you could just admit you're a fan.

SA210
10-28-2006, 03:37 PM
you could just admit you're a fan.
I am now.

IceColdBrewski
10-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Ah. Some has-been celebrities using an election time publicity stunt in an attempt to restart their carreers. How original. :rolleyes

leemajors
10-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I am now.

you realize this incident happened 3 years ago right?

T Park
10-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Shh let him be :lmao

T Park
10-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Once again all this "theyve been censored" and all that horsecrap.

Is just that, they pissed of alot of their fan base and people stopped asking for their music.

Nobody censored them, nobody said they couldn't be on the radio, its just, no one wants to hear the morons. That simple.

Zombie
10-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Bush is a moron, thank god he isn't really from Texas! :lol
Get over it already folks!

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2006, 12:18 AM

Is just that, they pissed of alot of their fan base and people stopped asking for their music.

Nobody censored them, nobody said they couldn't be on the radio, its just, no one wants to hear the morons. That simple.

Shhh, SA210 is exactly the demographic they were trying to get to buy their crap music and film when they went down this path, let 210 go along for the ride, the hook has already been set.

T Park
10-29-2006, 02:48 AM
SA210 is exactly the demographic they were trying to get to buy their crap music and film when they went down this path, let 210 go along for the ride, the hook has already been set.

Yeah, and hes got him, and morons like Zombie sucked right on in.

missmyzte
10-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Has anyone else in LA seen the Dixie Chicks banner that's displayed next to the freeway out here? I think it's in Sherman Oaks on the 405 just before the 101, if I remember correctly.

1Parker1
10-29-2006, 10:25 AM
What does the Banner say?

boutons_
10-29-2006, 11:43 AM
T_pork's radical right disinformation:

"people stopped asking for their music."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks

"Taking the Long Way, was released in stores and online May 22, 2006. .... Despite minimal airplay, Taking the Long Way debuted at number one on both the U.S. pop albums chart and the U.S. country albums chart, selling 526,000 copies in the first week (the year's second-best such total for any country act) and making it a gold record within its first week. The Chicks became the first female group in chart history to have three albums debut at #1."

T_pork is about as objective and credible as Michael Moore, but Michael Moore is in the entertainment business, T_pork is in the lying business. :lol

The Dixie Chicks were right: dubya and dickhead are a huge shit-stain of a shame on USA.

The French were also right about VN and Iraq: Don't go there.

The vast majority of the US now has agreed with the Dixie Chicks and the French, and have turned against dubya, dickhead, the Repugs and their phony, murderous war.

Buddy Holly
10-29-2006, 09:13 PM
TPark = fan of Dubya Bush.

That should explain it all.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Taking the Long Way, was released in stores and online May 22, 2006. .... Despite minimal airplay, Taking the Long Way debuted at number one on both the U.S. pop albums chart and the U.S. country albums chart, selling 526,000 copies in the first week (the year's second-best such total for any country act) and making it a gold record within its first week. The Chicks became the first female group in chart history to have three albums debut at #1

In short, 500K Americans were liberal enough to buy their crap music. Good to see the boutonsbot is up and running tonight.

boutons_
10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
when I demolish you fuckers, your comebacks are wimpy pitiful. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2006, 11:49 PM

What the fuck did you demolish? Did you blow up some of your Pokemon dolls with some firecrackers or something?

boutons, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but no one on this board knows less about more than you.

leemajors
10-30-2006, 12:00 AM

if anything, your post demolishes the idea they ruined their careers with the "statement." if i want to listen to music with a good political message, i'll listen to dylan or neil young. they are capable of writing good songs at least.

SA210
10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Shhh, SA210 is exactly the demographic they were trying to get to buy their crap music and film when they went down this path, let 210 go along for the ride, the hook has already been set.
Darn AHF, you still haven't enlisted?

SA210
10-30-2006, 12:48 AM
you realize this incident happened 3 years ago right?
No, really? :rolleyes

Shh let him be :lmao
Does T Park ever really make a sound point at all, ever? Really.... ever?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-30-2006, 01:39 AM
Wait, these same networks that run programming that deal with public controversy ALL the time won't run ads that deal with public controversy? Hypocrisy at its best.

Kopple attached to this makes it a must see for me...

Extra Stout
10-30-2006, 02:05 PM
T_pork's radical right disinformation:

"people stopped asking for their music."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks

"Taking the Long Way, was released in stores and online May 22, 2006. .... Despite minimal airplay, Taking the Long Way debuted at number one on both the U.S. pop albums chart and the U.S. country albums chart, selling 526,000 copies in the first week (the year's second-best such total for any country act) and making it a gold record within its first week. The Chicks became the first female group in chart history to have three albums debut at #1."
The DC are extremely popular in markets like San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, and Toronto. They had to expand tour dates in those markets due to demand.

Howver, they are highly unpopular in markets like Atlanta, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Nashville. They cancelled tour dates in those cities because tickets were hardly selling.

The DC following the "incident" have re-invented themselves as an exclusively blue-state act, and the politically-charged "victim" schtick works to attract their new target demographic.

Ocotillo
10-30-2006, 05:48 PM

Isn't that just what NBC is doing? Their money spends as well as P&G or Ambien.