PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Exercise Option On Udrih

angel_luv
10-28-2006, 01:11 PM
:elephant :elephant

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/udrih_061028.html

SAN ANTONIO, TX (Oct. 28, 2006) -- The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have exercised the fourth year option on Beno Udrih. With the move Udrih is under contract with the Spurs through the 2007-08 season.
The 6-3 guard was selected by the Spurs in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft, with the 28th overall pick. In two NBA seasons he has appeared in 134 regular season games, averaging 5.6 points and 1.8 assists in 12.9 minutes per contest.

During the 2004-05 season Udrih set a Spurs rookie record for three-point field goal percentage, shooting .408 (58-142) from three-point land. For the season he averaged 5.9 points and 1.9 assists in 80 games.

Udrih averaged 5.1 points and 1.7 assists in 10.9 minutes in 54 games during the 2005-06 campaign.

In the summer of 2006 the 24-year-old Udrih averaged 11.2 points, 2.8 assists and 2.3 rebounds in six games for Slovenia in the 2006 World Championships.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2006, 01:13 PM
:lol Why not after last night? He actually passed out of a press!

angel_luv
10-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Come on! Let me have my moment. :lol

ChumpDumper
10-28-2006, 01:23 PM
No, that pass was a thing of beauty. It was more significant than anything else he did last night, and he did alot of good things. I'm happy for him and hope he keeps it up and improves, then I'll be happy for the team for keeping him.

pjjrfan
10-28-2006, 01:25 PM
The guy has talent, it's his desire and toughness that I think the Spurs are more concerned about. I don't think for a moment that the Spurs coaches have any doubt about his abilities, it's other things that have bothered them.

angel_luv
10-28-2006, 01:25 PM
No, that pass was a thing of beauty. It was more significant than anything else he did last night, and he did alot of good things. I'm happy for him and hope he keeps it up and improves, then I'll be happy for the team for keeping him.

Beno was amazing last night- unless you followed team news you would have no idea he had barely practiced.

I know there are a lot of games to play and a lot of work to be done, but like you, I hope this is the beginning of a great year for Beno. :)

beirmeistr
10-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Good move by the Spurs. Beno could still develop into a reliable point guard, he's only 24.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-28-2006, 02:03 PM
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

T Park
10-28-2006, 02:08 PM
good, now he can be traded easier.

Oscar DeLa
10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
i dont know what it is but beno? he sucks.

Bruno
10-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Smart move.

ATX Spur
10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Hopefully Udrih realizes that he's got to show the Spurs more, or they'll trade him and not just let him rot on the bench.

SilverPlayer
10-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I just want to say good luck and were all counting on you.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/despurado/rumack.jpg

SA210
10-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Good move :tu, and it should have been Beno over Van Exel last year as well.

T Park
10-28-2006, 03:04 PM
and it should have been Beno over Van Exel last year as well

MORE TURNOVERS AT HALF COURT FOR ALL!!

YAY!!!!

SA210
10-28-2006, 03:07 PM

YAY!!!!
How many of those did Beno have? Number them. Then tell me "old jack up 3's" Van Exel did great for us too. :rolleyes

ducks
10-28-2006, 03:27 PM
now he has more trade power

Kori Ellis
10-28-2006, 03:29 PM
now he has more trade power

This is the reason that they picked up his option.

It would be terribly hard to trade him if he wasn't under contract next season. I'm not saying that the Spurs aren't going to give him a chance, but it would have been foolish not to exercise his option.

timvp
10-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Another reason the Spurs were picking up this option no matter what is because they are trying to open up cap room two summers from now and there's no way they could get a half way decent point guard to sign a one year contract after this season. This extension fits perfectly into the Spurs' plans.

But props to Beno for playing well in a game where he had to know that close to $2M was on the line.

angel_luv
10-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Now Beno just needs to make the Spurs feel lucky they have him.

I think he is up for the challenge. :)

Bruno
10-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Spurs picking his option means too that the FO think that Beno can be good enough to draw some interest from another team or to be a good backup PG.

Kibic
10-29-2006, 04:05 AM

YAY!!!!
Have you ever played BB? Or even dribble a ball?

T Park
10-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Have you ever played BB? Or even dribble a ball?

Whats that got to do with anything.

Were talking about Beno Udrih, not me.

Flattering that you would bring me into it, but sorry.

When he fixes his problems, then Ill start to believe.

phyzik
10-29-2006, 04:25 AM
As sarcastically as Chumpdumper would say....

WE'RE DOOMED!!! :spin

j/k of course.

Kibic
10-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Whats that got to do with anything.

Were talking about Beno Udrih, not me.

Flattering that you would bring me into it, but sorry.

When he fixes his problems, then Ill start to believe.
Just want to know, you talk about something, you know anything about it.
:elephant

Texas_Ranger
10-29-2006, 06:02 AM
This should be good for the Spurs, If Beno will get some opportunity to show his skills, he will do it. Beno was better than Van Exel and now I think he is better than Vaughn, so he should be our second point-guard. GO BENO GO!!

smeagol
10-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Good for Beno

Bruno
10-29-2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102906.07C.BKNspurs.udrih.29b7840.html

Spurs lock in Udrih through 2008

Web Posted: 10/28/2006 08:40 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

After spending much of the past month on the sideline, Beno Udrih not only will begin the season in the Spurs' rotation, he'll also do so with a little extra financial security.

About 12 hours after Udrih made his first preseason appearance, the Spurs exercised the $1.75 million fourth-year option on his rookie contract. Udrih is now under contract through the 2007-08 season.

"We're looking forward to seeing what Beno can bring to our team," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "The game looks so simple to him sometimes."

Udrih, 24, would have become a free agent at the end of this season had the Spurs not picked up the option by Tuesday. Coach Gregg Popovich was frustrated early in training camp when Udrih's sore right hamstring kept him from practicing and had said the point guard's periodic injury problems could factor into the team's decision.

Still, it would have been a surprise had the Spurs not exercised Udrih's option. Even if the team later decides to trade him, he'll have more value now that he won't be hitting the free-agent market until at least July 2008.

The Spurs waited until close to the deadline only to protect themselves in case Udrih suffered a career-threatening injury.

After backing up Tony Parker during his rookie year, Udrih spent last season as the third point guard, playing sparingly behind Nick Van Exel. He was expected to have little trouble re-inheriting the No. 2 job this season until he injured his hamstring three weeks before training camp.

Popovich initially said Udrih's absence had dropped him behind Jacque Vaughn and Brent Barry. But after resuming contact workouts Tuesday, Udrih played well Friday in his only preseason appearance, scoring 10 points and making five of his six shots. Barring another setback, he is expected to back up Parker during Thursday's season opener in Dallas.

"I thought Beno played really well," Popovich said. "He sat the bench all last year basically and that was really his first time this year to get out on the court. He looked pretty comfortable out there."

picnroll
10-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Beno should have gotten the time that that total waste Van Exel got last year. That's the one screw up that Pop made last year. Everybody but a couple of blind men could see Van Exel should only be playing for an assisted living home.

smeagol
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Beno should have gotten the time that that total waste Van Exel got last year. That's the one screw up that Pop made last year. Everybody but a couple of blind men could see Van Exel should only be playing for an assisted living home.

But . . . but . . . but . . . Beno can't dribble [/Tpark]

ata
10-29-2006, 10:28 AM
How about the truth? :lol

Slomo
10-29-2006, 12:52 PM
"We're looking forward to seeing what Beno can bring to our team," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "The game looks so simple to him sometimes."

It's tough to be right all the time!!!
Here. I saved you the effort :lol

Kibic
10-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Right. Ok. You can?

ploto
10-29-2006, 01:46 PM
If Beno can move forward past getting robbed out of a whole season of development, he will be a great back-up PG for the Spurs.

BeerIsGood!
10-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I hope he can do well or else become good trade bait, but the worst thing here is that the Spurs actually wasted a 1st round pick on this guy.

SequSpur
10-30-2006, 12:15 AM
hey, i might be kicked out of the sequ club for this but he really stepped up when the press, his coach, spurs fans were on his ass to perform.

He did more in one game than all the shitbags that pop has assembled in the last 3 years.

he deserved it.

timvp
10-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Here. I saved you the effort :lol

timvp
10-30-2006, 03:36 AM
But Slomo you missed this one:

As for Beno, he appears to be firmly planted in the dog house will no exit in sight. I never thought the Spurs would pick up his option anyway.

One week to go and still no option picked up for Beno. I do not think it is going to happen.

Remember what I wrote just last week. I said that people would be surprised that I thought the second PG would be Vaughn and that Beno's option would not be picked up.

There's no way that the Spurs don't pick up Beno's option. It fits perfectly with the Spurs' plan to open up cap space. Plus it's relatively cheap.

Apology Accepted.

:hat

ChumpDumper
10-30-2006, 04:00 AM
Beno passed out of a press.

End of thread.

ploto
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Apology Accepted
Hey- I was wrong. Guess it was just more of Pop's mind games.

I never said I agreed with what I thought the Spurs were doing- it was just that it seemed they were going to do.

SA210
10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Beno passed out of a press.

End of thread.
but.. but...but...he couldn't do it two times two years ago! [/T Park]

sleepybum
10-30-2006, 12:50 PM
but.. but...but...he couldn't do it two times two years ago! [/T Park]Those two presses by Detroit he blew did seem to be highlighted (exaggerated?) in more fans minds than just about anything I can think of. Maybe only the patented Nazr pump fakes made me cringe more than the thought of Beno in a press.

I'm glad he'll get a chance to prove his value one way or another this year. Seems like he can shoot the midrange and long ball and always seemed like one of the better passers on the team assuming he's gotten over the press thing from two years ago. He didn't get much play last year other than garbage minutes.

Kori Ellis
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
The press thing wasn't just two seasons ago. If he wouldn't have almost lost the Spurs-Rockets game in garbage time at the end of last season because of not being able to break the press, he would have probably actually got time in the playoffs. It's not like the Detroit series is the thing that sealed his fate.

Anyway, hopefully he breaks through it this year, Beno is very talented.

sleepybum
10-30-2006, 01:06 PM
The press thing wasn't just two seasons ago. If he wouldn't have almost lost the Spurs-Rockets game in garbage time at the end of last season because of not being able to break the press, he would have probably actually got time in the playoffs.
That's true, I'd forgotten that late regular season game he played poorly in. He gave good reason for cringing that day.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2006, 01:37 PM
his goin to prove the critics wrong

beno > starting scrub on team

mountainballer
10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
as some other poster mentioned, exercising the option doesn't have anything to do with the question if Beno is out of Pop's doghouse or not. it was just a move to keep him on a cheap contract, no matter if Spurs keep him or trade him.

Beno played one nice preseason game.
it's good to be optimistic, but to look at the half full glass and say "wow, this glass will soon overrun and flood the whole room" might be a bit to optimistic. IMO Beno is still on the block and will be traded as soon as a trade the Spurs like can be worked out.
Pop has to showcase him a bit, so Beno will get some minutes, but i guess he has blown his chances to become a long term Spurs some time ago.
(and i also guess Beno wouldn't mind to be traded to a team where he get's the chance to start, somthing that will never happen with the Spurs)

Obstructed_View
10-30-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll be sold on Beno the first time he makes a mistake and Pop calls a timeout, chews him out and PUTS HIM RIGHT BACK INTO THE GAME.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2006, 02:55 PM
beno pans out is goin to land us someone good durin trade deadline.

ploto
10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Pop has to showcase him a bit, so Beno will get some minutes, but i guess he has blown his chances to become a long term Spurs some time ago.

True. You know, I never did hear specific trade talks about Beno this summer- that one rumor was false- but I know they happened. I still don't think he will be the back-up PG in April. Call me skeptical after Rasho started last season until the trade deadline.

I'll be sold on Beno the first time he makes a mistake and Pop calls a timeout, chews him out and PUTS HIM RIGHT BACK INTO THE GAME.
No- in goes Vaughn.

mountainballer
10-30-2006, 04:35 PM
True. You know, I never did hear specific trade talks about Beno this summer- that one rumor was false- but I know they happened. I still don't think he will be the back-up PG in April. Call me skeptical after Rasho started last season until the trade deadline.

there were rumors in summer 2005 that the Spurs tried to get Jarret Jack for Beno and if i remember right, they have been confirmed by FO. however..
it would tell a lot what kind of player Pop would like as his back-up PG and Jack is quite different to Beno.
even if Spurs FO covers, it was obvious when they tried to trade Malik and also that they tried to trade Rasho.
it might take some time, because the Spurs don't have a trade asset that alone is attractive enough to land a quality player who would help immediatly.
(thinking about Gerald Wallace for example)
but they have some pieces to package.
the problem right now is, that most teams still have to reduce their rosters and won't be willing or able to trade 1 for 2 or even 1 for 3.
Beno alone might land us a project, but i guess FO would prefere a player in his prime.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2006, 09:33 PM
No- in goes Vaughn.
Exactly my point.

5ToolMan
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Another reason the Spurs were picking up this option no matter what is because they are trying to open up cap room two summers from now and there's no way they could get a half way decent point guard to sign a one year contract after this season. This extension fits perfectly into the Spurs' plans.

But props to Beno for playing well in a game where he had to know that close to $2M was on the line.

I have to disagree that the Spurs picking up the option had anything to do with cap room in two years. At the option price, Beno is a bargin in the new permiter frendly NBA. No matter if the Spurs choose to develop him or eventually trade him, having him under contract for moves next summer ... or before was the only way to go.

I do agree with the props to Beno. As he demonstrated he wanted to remain a Spur when he delivered a solid game and thereby hurt his chances for an evenutally bigger FA pay day next season.