PDA

View Full Version : Potential Acquisition: Rawle Marshall

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 01:36 PM
The deadline for waiving players is the end of Monday. As has been recounted, the Pacers face a tough decision in needing to pare their roster by two players, with the candidates coming from John Edwards, Josh Powell, Orien Greene, and Rawle Marshall. Edwards looks likely to be cut and Greene likely kept to back up Jasikevicius, who isn't working out, and the injury-prone Tinsley. By all appearances it is down to Powell or Marshall, but Indiana is stacked with young small forwards - Danny Granger, James White, Shawne Williams - and a back-up for the often injured Jermaine O'Neal is likely more attractive.

Indiana likely wants some value in return for Marshall. Would you make a trade for him in order to jump over teams that might grab him on the waiver wire before we do?

I'm thinking a trade of expiring contracts and a sweetener - one of our late 2nd rounders - say, Matt Bonner + 2nd round pick for John Edwards + Rawle Marshall.

Reasoning: Rawle Marshall is easily worth such a late pick. Bonner, in my mind, will not be worth much this year other than in spot minutes and will not be a rotation player. Even if he is on the bubble, he is worth the chance at getting our young Bowen replacement -- Marshall has at least all the physical tools Bowen has and plays pretty good defense already. He has multiple other skills (is a better rebounder) and shows a great attitude.

Or is it worth waiting to see if he gets cut and we can grab him?

Just for fun, what do you think?

mountainballer
10-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking a trade of expiring contracts and a sweetener - one of our late 2nd rounders - say, Matt Bonner + 2nd round pick for John Edwards + Rawle Marshall.

in another thread (about Beno) i made a proposal for a Beno to Indy and a Beno+Bonner to Indy trade.
but anyhow, also a trade of Bonner to Indy might be worked out, Indy could very well use his long range shooting.
i read that Indy thinks of sending White to the D-league, so maybe he could also be a target instead of Marshall.
(in terms of athletic ability and potential i would rank White higher than Marshall, but Marshall could contribute earlier).
i would do the trade and not wait. it would be definitly a need the Spurs fill and as a contender team you should not wait, the window isn't open forever.
i don't like Edwards in the trade, he would get cut by the Spurs anyhow, but it could be the price the Spurs have to pay.
so or so, i guess we agree that currently the Pacers look as the team to talk to. there are definitly different trade scenarios with the Pacers that could help both teams.

Kori Ellis
10-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Mr. Body - Are they keeping Baston for sure? (I assume so because he's on a 2year deal)

pad300
10-29-2006, 02:04 PM
The deadline for waiving players is the end of Monday. As has been recounted, the Pacers face a tough decision in needing to pare their roster by two players, with the candidates coming from John Edwards, Josh Powell, Orien Greene, and Rawle Marshall. Edwards looks likely to be cut and Greene likely kept to back up Jasikevicius, who isn't working out, and the injury-prone Tinsley. By all appearances it is down to Powell or Marshall, but Indiana is stacked with young small forwards - Danny Granger, James White, Shawne Williams - and a back-up for the often injured Jermaine O'Neal is likely more attractive.

Indiana likely wants some value in return for Marshall. Would you make a trade for him in order to jump over teams that might grab him on the waiver wire before we do?

Reasoning: Rawle Marshall is easily worth such a late pick. Bonner, in my mind, will not be worth much this year other than in spot minutes and will not be a rotation player. Even if he is on the bubble, he is worth the chance at getting our young Bowen replacement -- Marshall has at least all the physical tools Bowen has and plays pretty good defense already. He has multiple other skills (is a better rebounder) and shows a great attitude.

Assume they are going to cut him. Offer to take him off their hands as a favor. Make a trade of

Future considerations (a similar favor in the future)
for
Rawle Marshall

and absorb his salary with the $800K trade exception we got from the Rasho deal.

Bruno
10-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Is Marshall a better prospect than Ebi ? I'm not sure.

I won't trade Bonner (we need him because Horry is 35 years old) or Udrih (Beno is a way better player/prospect than Marshall) for Marshall.
The best way to get him is by using the trade exception generated in the Rasho trade.

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Mr. Body - Are they keeping Baston for sure? (I assume so because he's on a 2year deal)

I think so. Reading Indy fans' message boards, they all consider him kept (but like Powell more). He is Bird's guy and besides, he has big game experience with Maccabi. They see Powell producing more than him in the preseason, but I think that is due to Powell getting more time to try him out. Personally, I don't see Baston going anywhere. He has far more experience.

Is Marshall a better prospect than Ebi ? I'm not sure.

At this point I would say, "Yes." Ebi has done nothing and Rawle has shown he can produce at a certain level in this league. Rawle can step in right away and produce at some level; Ebi is still a long-term project.

Assume they are going to cut him. Offer to take him off their hands as a favor. Make a trade of

Future considerations (a similar favor in the future)
for
Rawle Marshall

and absorb his salary with the $800K trade exception we got from the Rasho deal.

I didn't realize we still had a trade exception for Rasho. I'm not thrilled about trading Bonner - he's useful.

The trade exception would work plus future considerations of [the Chicago pick if we get it next year or one of the 2009 second rounders].

This kid has real potential and I hope the Spurs are taking a look at him. Obviously there is a chance Indiana keeps him, but if they don't, a little more than $600k is extremely cheap for this kind of player we badly need.

djohn14
10-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Kori, Baston is 100% safe with Indiana.Larry recently talked with the Pacers official site and was telling them the one's that for sure will be one the team and he was one of them.Mashall,Powell,Edwards,and Greene were the playeers who weren't 100% safe.As you can probably tell I'm a Pacers fan,but the Spurs ARE #1.

Kori Ellis
10-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Kori, Baston is 100% safe with Indiana.Larry recently talked with the Pacers official site and was telling them the one's that for sure will be one the team and he was one of them.Mashall,Powell,Edwards,and Greene were the playeers who weren't 100% safe.As you can probably tell I'm a Pacers fan,but the Spurs ARE #1.

Thanks.

I understood that too. I was just making sure. My friend (Noel Felix) replaced Baston with Maccabi and I just want to make sure Baston stays in Indiana :lol

Big P
10-29-2006, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't trade Bonner...more than likely we can pick someone off the waiver wire...Rawle would be a nice pick up..Ebi wouldnt be bad...as for your trade, I thought they already cut Edwards?

djohn14
10-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Does anyone think Bonner can take Horry's spot next year, or will we have to search the markets?

regio
10-29-2006, 03:44 PM
I think Bonner does have the tools to replace Horry but I don't know if he is clutch like him

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't trade Bonner...more than likely we can pick someone off the waiver wire...Rawle would be a nice pick up..Ebi wouldnt be bad...as for your trade, I thought they already cut Edwards?

They have to cut 2. Currently they're at 17.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd say that we should trade them the rights to Javtokas for him, but seeings he's a sure fire future first ballot Hall of Famer according to Mr. Body, that might not go over too well with him.

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Is this substantive?

I have a question: why can't we put moderators on our Ignore list? How did a schmuck like Aggie get to be a mod? I'd think a measure of integrity would matter for that title.

BeerIsGood!
10-29-2006, 04:25 PM
If they hand out mod titles to aggs... that title is worth about as much as a pile of shit. Believe it.

Kori Ellis
10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Okay enough.

First of all, there's no permanent mods here. Some people are just given mod power during Spurs games because I'm not online. But it's not always the same people and it's not permanent.

Secondly, AHF get over the Javtokas crap and stick to the topic, thanks.

Bruno
10-29-2006, 04:52 PM
At this point I would say, "Yes." Ebi has done nothing and Rawle has shown he can produce at a certain level in this league.

Marshal has done nothing in the league too.

Rawle can step in right away and produce at some level; Ebi is still a long-term project.

Do you think that Spurs need a player that can contribute now with the 15th spot ?

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Bruno - Rawle has put up stats in this league before - starting 9 games last year - and had an excellent preseason, relatively speaking. Ebi really hasn't. People like Olajuwon have said Ebi isn't ready for the pros and made a mistake jumping so soon. Marshall is someone a guy an NBA team is doing everything in their power to keep or get value for.

I'd say jump on Ebi if Marshall isn't available, because he is a young SF after all, but because the FO hasn't done it yet, it suggests they're waiting on someone else (or don't want anyone at all).

Having Marshall at the 15 isn't necessarily permanent - I could see him leapfrog Bonner, Oberto, or others to be on the active roster. We have no other pure SFs other than Bowen. He is a potential long-term solution, anyway, and because he "can contribue right now" it means he's already grasping the NBA game. I'm not trying to dog Nbudi Ebi, but he doesn't look that caliber yet.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't call Ebi an SF, he just looks like one. Given the choice I'd take Marshall but even if he's let go by Indy I don't know if he'd last on the waiver wire until we got a chance to pick him up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Alright, sorry about the HOFer comment, but the point remains, I would give up the rights to Javtokas for him.

Actually I don't like Marshall for our 15th, so I wouldn't give up anything for the guy. There's already better options on the waiver wire and when teams finish making their cuts in the next 24-48 hours, then we'll have a better idea of who the Spurs should target.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2006, 05:22 PM
For what we say we want -- a long, athletic small forward -- I don't think there is any better option, or even any other option, at present.

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 05:23 PM
FTR, I'd trade Javtokas for him.

AHF: Who else do you see getting waived?

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't call Ebi an SF, he just looks like one. Given the choice I'd take Marshall but even if he's let go by Indy I don't know if he'd last on the waiver wire until we got a chance to pick him up.

Chump, how does the waiver wire work? First come first serve?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2006, 05:26 PM
First come first serve?Worst record, first served.

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Alright. Likely someone else snags him. Next!

Bruno
10-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Rawle has put up stats in this league before - starting 9 games last year - and had an excellent preseason, relatively speaking. Ebi really hasn't. People like Olajuwon have said Ebi isn't ready for the pros and made a mistake jumping so soon. Marshall is someone a guy an NBA team is doing everything in their power to keep or get value for.

Marshall has palyed with Mavs because tons of player were injured. His stats were 3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg in 10.6 mp. To me it's not enough to say "Rawle has shown he can produce at a certain level in this league".

Now the question is : Is Marshall a good prospect ?
I don't know him enough to answer to this qustion but I'm not sure that he has that much upisde. After all, he is still 24 years old.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2006, 05:37 PM
I saw Marshall go 17 of 18 from the line in one game last season. He obviously has no business being in a Spurs uniform.

Mr. Body
10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't want to talk him up too much. He's done well in preseason games, though was inconsistent game to game. Does that indicate he's picking the game up? I don't know. He may wind up being nothing in the league, but we sure could use a young SF prospect at the end of the bench. His salary is very cheap and if we could manage to get him for one of our 2nd rounders (in the 50s), I'm not sure we could get a better talent that late. He has the tools, the athleticism, the defensive mindset, and a good attitude.

Glancing through rosters for the waiver wire, I could see Phoenix or Sacramento picking him up before we get the chance.

willie
10-30-2006, 06:48 AM
stop filling up the board with threads about shitty players.

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Marshall has palyed with Mavs because tons of player were injured. His stats were 3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg in 10.6 mp. To me it's not enough to say "Rawle has shown he can produce at a certain level in this league".

To be fair, in those nine starts last year, he averaged 5.6 ppg, shot 48% fg (16/33), 50% 3p (1/2), 89% ft (17/19), had 5 orb, 14 drb, 7 assists (8 tos), 6 steals, 4 blocks... all in 17 mpg.

He wasn't ready yet to start - he's not ready for huge minutes - but those are pretty nice numbers.

As you point out, at 24 he may have hit his level, so there's that, but he is one of the handful of waiver-line players who is almost guaranteed to be picked up somewhere else.

I'd be happy with Ebi or him. Somebody. We need to try, at least.

mountainballer
10-30-2006, 10:28 AM
To be fair, in those nine starts last year, he averaged 5.6 ppg, shot 48% fg (16/33), 50% 3p (1/2), 89% ft (17/19), had 5 orb, 14 drb, 7 assists (8 tos), 6 steals, 4 blocks... all in 17 mpg.

He wasn't ready yet to start - he's not ready for huge minutes - but those are pretty nice numbers.

As you point out, at 24 he may have hit his level, so there's that, but he is one of the handful of waiver-line players who is almost guaranteed to be picked up somewhere else.

I'd be happy with Ebi or him. Somebody. We need to try, at least.

he would not get a 5 years deal anyhow, what he would get is a 1 year deal for the minimum.
btw. at the age of 24 Bruce was still playing in the CBA and didn't play his first NBA season till 26.
in the current situation he's definitly worth the "risk" to trade for him by using a 2nd round pick.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Bump. If anyone's interested

When I caught wind of Indiana's roster predicament, I went with the prevailing thought they would cut Rawle Marshall, who they acquired in the Anthony Johnson trade. They obviously went with White instead.

The Spurs must have had an eye on this situation, which explains why all our training camp guys were cut, including Melvin Sanders. They must have banked the Pacers had to shed one of their Small Forwards and, looking around the league, thought they'd have an excellent shot at him, whichever it was going to be.

There's also a thread about James White dated after the cut, but it's more of the speculation the current thread has.