PDA

View Full Version : Report finds St. Louis most dangerous U.S. city

Jimcs50
10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Report finds St. Louis most dangerous U.S. city
Violent crime grew by 20 percent; Detroit at No. 2

Updated: 2 minutes ago
ST. LOUIS - Just days after the St. Louis Cardinals won the top honor in Major League Baseball, their hometown jumped to first place on a list no one wants to lead: the most dangerous cities in the United States.

This Midwestern city has long been in the upper tiers of the annual ranking of the nation’s safest and most dangerous cities, compiled by Morgan Quitno Press. Violent crime surged nearly 20 percent there this year, when the rate of such crimes rose much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to FBI figures released in June.

The ranking, being released Monday, came as the city was still celebrating Friday’s World Series victory at the new Busch Stadium. St. Louis has been spending millions of dollars on urban renewal even as the crime rate climbs.

Mayor Francis Slay did not return calls seeking comment Sunday.

Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, a private research and publishing company specializing in state and city reference books, said he was not surprised to see St. Louis top the list, since it has been among the 10 most dangerous cities for years.

Just days after the St. Louis Cardinals won the top honor in Major League Baseball, their hometown jumped to first place on a list no one wants to lead: the most dangerous cities in the United States.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morgan said the study looks at crime only within St. Louis city limits, with a population of about 330,000. It doesn’t take into account the suburbs in St. Louis County, which has roughly 980,000 residents.

The safest city in 2005 was Brick, N.J., population about 78,000, followed by Amherst, N.Y., and Mission Viejo, Calif. The second most dangerous city was Detroit, followed by Flint, Mich., and Compton, Calif.

The national FBI figures released in June showed the murder rate in St. Louis jumped 16 percent in 2005, compared with 4.8 percent nationally. The overall violent crime rate increased nearly 20 percent, compared with 2.5 percent nationally.

Midwest's rise outpaces nation
While crime increased in all regions last year, the 5.7 percent rise in the 12 Midwestern states was at least three times higher than any other region, according to the FBI.

Visiting St. Louis on Thursday, FBI director Robert Mueller said it was too early to tell why some types of crime were rising faster in the Midwest.

A list of the most and least dangerous cities overall, as compiled by Morgan Quitno Press, which bases the rankings on FBI figures released in June.
•1. St. Louis
2. Detroit
3. Flint, Mich.
4. Compton, Calif.
5. Camden, N.J.
6. Birmingham, Ala.
7. Cleveland
8. Oakland, Calif.
9. Youngstown, Ohio
10. Gary, Ind.

11. Richmond, Calif.
12. Baltimore
13. Memphis, Tenn.
14. Trenton, N.J.
15. Richmond, Va.
16. Kansas City, Mo.
17. Atlanta
18. Cincinnati
19. Washington
20. North Charleston, S.C.
21. Reading, Pa.
22. Newark, N.J.
23. Little Rock, Ark.
24. San Bernardino, Calif.
25. Orlando, Fla.

Mueller said the FBI is working harder to form partnerships with police departments to launch programs like St. Louis’ Safe Streets task force, which focuses police efforts on problematic neighborhoods.

This year’s ranking was good news for Camden, N.J., which in 2005 was named the most dangerous city for the second year in a row.

Camden Mayor Gwendolyn Faison said Sunday she was thrilled to learn that her city no longer topped the most-dangerous list.

“You made my day!” said Faison, who has served since 2000. “There’s a new hope and a new spirit.”

Texas has no cities in top 25.

:smokin

Extra Stout
10-30-2006, 12:50 PM
St. Louis has gotten bad.

But, some background is needed to understand why.

Back in the 19th century, in an extremely short-sighted move, the city of St. Louis voted to secede from St. Louis County. As a result, the city was never able to annex any territory beyond its 19th-c. city limits. If you look at the map of the metro area, it is a jigsaw puzzle of tiny hamlets that have incorporated in the past 100+ years out in the county.

So the city of St. Louis consists of the barren inner city, and a certain number of ethnic neighborhoods like the Italian neighborhood known as "The Hill."

The city has been in decay for a while as most of the affluent population either lives in old-money towns like Clayton, or out in "West County." There have been attempts to get people to settle back downtown as in other cities, but there is a chicken-and-egg dilemma where people don't want to live down there without businesses like groceries and pharmacies, and businesses don't want to open without patrons.

But even with all that, though St. Louis was not a bundle of roses, it was not the most dangerous city in America.

But across the river is a truly miserable place called East St. Louis, Illinois, a completely failed urban entity. East St. Louis was once a vibrant blue-collar town that was ripped apart by the installation of the Interstate Highway System right through it. It turned into a collection zone for disenfranchised and unemployed blacks, as blue-collar whites either fled to Missouri or up over the bluffs to towns like Collinsville. Factories were abandoned in place, existing even today as overgrown ruins, putting most of the remaining black population out of work. Unemployment soared over 50%. Of course, crime soared too. Fast forward to 2004 or so, and the only functioning businesses in ESL were the drug trade and strip clubs.

Now, the local officials in ESL were all wrapped up in the drug trade too, and not really interested in controlling crime to any degree, so gangs ran unchecked. The Illinois State Police would attempt to investigate crimes, but neither local officials nor the populace were interested in cooperating.

ESL was so bad that the first thing a resident would do upon finding a job was move the hell out of there, usually to Belleville or Granite City. However, as black folks moved out there, the criminals that preyed on them followed, and the crime problem spilled out further into Illinois.

So the folks out in what is called "Metro East" raised a ruckus to Springfield (the state capital of IL) to do something about this. What the state elected to do was have the Illinois State Police take over patrols from the useless and corrupt East St. Louis Police Department.

This has been working pretty well, as crime is down in ESL. The flip side is that the criminal element simply jumped across the river into the north side of St. Louis, MO to ply their trade. So, the long-standing ESL crime problem is more and more the problem of St. Louis, proper.

Jimcs50
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
All I know, is you do not want to stop and ask for directions in St Louis.

:)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/6f/1a/da7f228348a0915dd519e010.L.jpg

ShoogarBear
10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Just ask Tiger pitchers.

Guru of Nothing
10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Wild guess - Jackson, MS did not meet some sort of criteria to be included in this research/report.

1Parker1
10-30-2006, 07:25 PM
•1. St. Louis
2. Detroit
3. Flint, Mich.
4. Compton, Calif.
5. Camden, N.J.
6. Birmingham, Ala.
7. Cleveland
8. Oakland, Calif.
9. Youngstown, Ohio
10. Gary, Ind.

:lol Last week, I was driving to North Jersey and made a wrong turn and ended up in Camden. You should have seen me driving, I immediately hit the automatic locks on my car, stared straight ahead at red lights, and drove at about 70 mph to get the hell out. I was too scared to even stop by a gas station and ask for directions!

BTW, I'm insulted. Trenton, NJ and Reading, PA are not that bad....

mikejones99
10-30-2006, 07:35 PM
The State of Michigan is well represented here as well. Best to stay out of Michigan and Florida

Marklar MM
10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
The State of Michigan is well represented here as well. Best to stay out of Michigan and Florida

Stay the fuck out of my state, and you will be safe. Hell. I am already in my state and am safe.

ALVAREZ6
10-30-2006, 07:59 PM
BTW, I'm insulted. Trenton, NJ and Reading, PA are not that bad....
Yeah, I've never heard of Reading being considered a dangerous area, I thought it was the exact opposite...but you never know, it's probably not too fun at night.

And I just realized how many of those cities on the list we live close to...

dirk4mvp
10-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Wild guess - Jackson, MS did not meet some sort of criteria to be included in this research/report.

Jackson is one badass place when it comes to crime. My mom works in Jackson, and she never gets out and always has a Ruger under her driver seat.

1Parker1
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
And I just realized how many of those cities on the list we live close to...

:lol True that. But look on the bright side...Philly itself isn't on the top 25 at least...

ShoogarBear
10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
And I just realized how many of those cities on the list we live close to...Coincidence? I think not.

BeerIsGood!
10-31-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm surprised Laredo isn't somewhere up there. That city has gotten so dangerous with organized crime from Mexico it's becoming more and more like the wild west. Men with assault rifles chased a guy into a department store just a few days ago and could have opened fire inside the store. Crazy stuff going on there.

Jimcs50
10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm surprised Laredo isn't somewhere up there. That city has gotten so dangerous with organized crime from Mexico it's becoming more and more like the wild west. Men with assault rifles chased a guy into a department store just a few days ago and could have opened fire inside the store. Crazy stuff going on there.

It appears that the Hispanic dominated cities are safer than the African American dominated cities, as not one of the top 20 is a Latino city. Interesting.

ducks
10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52576

ShoogarBear
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
In Laredo they killed the guys keeping count.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I think I told this story on SpursTalk, but it's worth it again.

During the summer, I was browsing JournalismJobs.com and came across a reporting position in Brownsville.

Now, the pay was peanuts - even for an entry-level journo, but I kept reading and (paraphrasing here) this is what I saw:

'Hard-nosed reporter, strong work ethic, blah-blah-blah...can't be afraid to die.'

Guru of Nothing
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/mateo/welcometojax.jpg

BeerIsGood!
10-31-2006, 11:49 PM
I think I told this story on SpursTalk, but it's worth it again.

During the summer, I was browsing JournalismJobs.com and came across a reporting position in Brownsville.

Now, the pay was peanuts - even for an entry-level journo, but I kept reading and (paraphrasing here) this is what I saw:

'Hard-nosed reporter, strong work ethic, blah-blah-blah...can't be afraid to die.'

That's Great! I grew up in McAllen and spent some time in Brownsville and Matamoros partying. It was crazy back then, and I am willing to bet it's very unpredictable now.

Fillmoe
10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
wheres washington dc?

scott
10-31-2006, 11:52 PM
If Stone Oak gets low income residents, you can add San Antonio to that list!

E20
11-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Oakland and Compton repersent.

NorCal510
11-01-2006, 12:10 AM
compton oakland richmond oh baby we are badass

E20
11-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Richmond is gone less dangerous throughout the years.

NorCal510
11-01-2006, 12:27 AM
richmond went down while oakland went up

T Park
11-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Thats very suprising cause I've walked through downtown St Louis at night after a Cardinal game, heading back to my hotel, and it was like San Antonio, pretty bright, familes, horses and carriages.

Must be other parts of the city.

Im floored its more dangerous than the city of friggen Sacramento.

That town is like fucking Baghdad its such a shit hole.